Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: COP1
Description: coatomer subunit alpha
Alias: RET1, SEC33, SOO1, coatomer subunit alpha
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Jarmoszewicz K, Łukasiak K, Riezman H, Kaminska J. Rsp5 ubiquitin ligase is required for protein trafficking in Saccharomyces cerevisiae COPI mutants. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e39582 pubmed publisher..Here we find that the ubiquitin ligase mutation, rsp5-1, has a negative effect that is additive with ret1-1 and sec28? mutations, in genes encoding ?- and ?-COP, respectively...
- Tu L, Tai W, Chen L, Banfield D. Signal-mediated dynamic retention of glycosyltransferases in the Golgi. Science. 2008;321:404-7 pubmed publisher..We propose that Vps74p maintains the steady-state localization of Golgi glycosyltransferases dynamically, by promoting their incorporation into COPI-coated vesicles. ..
- Trautwein M, Dengjel J, Schirle M, Spang A. Arf1p provides an unexpected link between COPI vesicles and mRNA in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:5021-37 pubmed..Hereby acts the SHE machinery in long-range mRNA transport, whereas COPI vesicles could act as short-range and localization vehicles. The endoplasmic reticulum (ER)-Golgi shuttle might be involved in concentrating mRNA at the ER. ..
- Hua Z, Graham T. Requirement for neo1p in retrograde transport from the Golgi complex to the endoplasmic reticulum. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:4971-83 pubmed..We propose that loss of lipid asymmetry in the cis Golgi perturbs retrograde protein transport to the ER. ..
- Rein U, Andag U, Duden R, Schmitt H, Spang A. ARF-GAP-mediated interaction between the ER-Golgi v-SNAREs and the COPI coat. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:395-404 pubmed..The mechanisms by which v-SNAREs interact with COPI and COPII coat proteins seem to be different and may play a key role in determining specificity in vesicle budding...
- Yip C, Walz T. Molecular structure and flexibility of the yeast coatomer as revealed by electron microscopy. J Mol Biol. 2011;408:825-31 pubmed publisher..Our analyses provide the first three-dimensional picture of the complete coatomer and reveal substantial conformational flexibility likely to be critical for its scaffolding function. ..
- Andag U, Schmitt H. Dsl1p, an essential component of the Golgi-endoplasmic reticulum retrieval system in yeast, uses the same sequence motif to interact with different subunits of the COPI vesicle coat. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:51722-34 pubmed..They interact with different layers of the vesicle coat by using tandemly arranged sequence motifs, some of which have dual specificity. ..
- Park S, Hartnell L, Jackson C. Mutations in a highly conserved region of the Arf1p activator GEA2 block anterograde Golgi transport but not COPI recruitment to membranes. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:3786-99 pubmed..Hence this region of Gea2p upstream of the Sec7 domain plays a role in anterograde transport that is independent of its role in recruiting COPI for retrograde transport, at least of a subset of Golgi-ER cargo. ..
- Kim K, Kim E, Jeong K, Park Y, Park H. Effects of mutations in the WD40 domain of ?-COP on its interaction with the COPI coatomer in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Microbiol. 2012;50:256-62 pubmed publisher..Yeast two-hybrid analysis revealed that the ret1-1/soo1-1 mutation of ?-COP abolished the interaction with ?- and ?-COP, respectively, and that the interaction between ?-..
- Castillon G, Aguilera Romero A, Manzano López J, Epstein S, Kajiwara K, Funato K, et al. The yeast p24 complex regulates GPI-anchored protein transport and quality control by monitoring anchor remodeling. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:2924-36 pubmed publisher..Therefore the p24 complex, by sensing the status of the GPI anchor, regulates GPI-anchored protein intracellular transport and coordinates this with correct anchor remodeling. ..
- Spang A, Herrmann J, Hamamoto S, Schekman R. The ADP ribosylation factor-nucleotide exchange factors Gea1p and Gea2p have overlapping, but not redundant functions in retrograde transport from the Golgi to the endoplasmic reticulum. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:1035-45 pubmed..In contrast, Sec7p, which is required for protein transport within the Golgi, is not required for retrograde protein trafficking. ..
- Hirata R, Nihei C, Nakano A. Isoform-selective oligomer formation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae p24 family proteins. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:37057-70 pubmed publisher..This complex was mainly localized to the Golgi, whereas the p24 complex containing Erv25, instead of Rrt6 but otherwise with the same isoform composition, was found mostly in the ER...
- Papanikou E, Day K, Austin J, Glick B. COPI selectively drives maturation of the early Golgi. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that cisternal maturation involves a COPI-dependent pathway that recycles early Golgi proteins, followed by multiple COPI-independent pathways that recycle late Golgi proteins. ..
- Michelsen K, Schmid V, Metz J, Heusser K, Liebel U, Schwede T, et al. Novel cargo-binding site in the beta and delta subunits of coatomer. J Cell Biol. 2007;179:209-17 pubmed..A homology model of the COPI trunk domain illustrates the recognition of R-based signals by COPI. ..
- Hsia K, Hoelz A. Crystal structure of alpha-COP in complex with epsilon-COP provides insight into the architecture of the COPI vesicular coat. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:11271-6 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the heterodimer is exposed on COPI vesicles, while the remaining part of the B-subcomplex oligomerizes underneath into a cage. ..