Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: CKB2
Description: casein kinase 2 regulatory subunit CKB2
Alias: casein kinase 2 regulatory subunit CKB2
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Gerus M, Bonnart C, Caizergues Ferrer M, Henry Y, Henras A. Evolutionarily conserved function of RRP36 in early cleavages of the pre-rRNA and production of the 40S ribosomal subunit. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:1130-44 pubmed publisher..In parallel, we studied the human orthologue of Rrp36p in HeLa cells, and we show that the function of this protein in early cleavages of the pre-rRNA has been conserved through evolution in eukaryotes. ..
- Johnson A, Zaman M, Veljanoski F, Phrakaysone A, Li S, O Doherty P, et al. Unravelling the role of protein kinase CK2 in metal toxicity using gene deletion mutants. Metallomics. 2017;9:301-308 pubmed publisher..to a pronounced resistant phenotype against Zn2+ and Al3+, whilst the deletion of CKB1 or CKB2 results in tolerance to Cr6+ and As3+...
- Hewawasam G, Mattingly M, Venkatesh S, Zhang Y, Florens L, Workman J, et al. Phosphorylation by casein kinase 2 facilitates Psh1 protein-assisted degradation of Cse4 protein. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:29297-309 pubmed publisher..Collectively our data suggest that phosphorylation is crucial in Psh1-assisted control of Cse4 levels and that the Psh1-Cse4 association itself functions to prevent Cse4 misincorporation. ..
- Bergkessel M, Whitworth G, Guthrie C. Diverse environmental stresses elicit distinct responses at the level of pre-mRNA processing in yeast. RNA. 2011;17:1461-78 pubmed publisher..In total, our data suggest that complex post-transcriptional programs cooperate to fine-tune expression of intron-containing transcripts in budding yeast. ..
- Upton T, Wiltshire S, Francesconi S, Eisenberg S. ABF1 Ser-720 is a predominant phosphorylation site for casein kinase II of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:16153-9 pubmed..Thus, phosphorylation of ABF1 by yeast CKII may prove to be a useful system for studying targeting mechanisms of CKII to a physiological substrate. ..
- Barz T, Ackermann K, Pyerin W. Perturbation of protein kinase CK2 uncouples executive part of phosphate maintenance pathway from cyclin-CDK control. FEBS Lett. 2003;537:210-4 pubmed..Thus, perturbation of CK2 uncouples the executive part of the PHO pathway from its cyclin-CDK control complex. ..
- Cho B, Lee P, Hahn J. CK2-dependent inhibitory phosphorylation is relieved by Ppt1 phosphatase for the ethanol stress-specific activation of Hsf1 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Microbiol. 2014;93:306-16 pubmed publisher..Therefore, regulation of the Hsf1 S608 phosphorylation status by reciprocal actions of CK2 and Ppt1 might play an important role to determine Hsf1 sensitivity towards ethanol stress. ..
- Liu H, Wang H, Teng M, Li X. The multiple nucleotide-divalent cation binding modes of Saccharomyces cerevisiae CK2? indicate a possible co-substrate hydrolysis product (ADP/GDP) release pathway. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2014;70:501-13 pubmed publisher..It is found that the insertion region contributes to maintaining the constitutively active conformation of the scCK2? catalytic site, but does not participate in interaction with the regulatory subunits. ..
- Tripodi F, Nicastro R, Busnelli S, Cirulli C, Maffioli E, Tedeschi G, et al. Protein kinase CK2 holoenzyme promotes start-specific transcription in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2013;12:1271-80 pubmed publisher..Here we investigate the function of the CK2 holoenzyme in Start-specific transcription. The ckb1? ckb2? mutant strain, bearing deletions of both genes encoding CK2 regulatory subunits, shows a delay of S-phase entrance ..
- Janeczko M, Masłyk M, Szyszka R, Baier A. Interactions between subunits of protein kinase CK2 and their protein substrates influences its sensitivity to specific inhibitors. Mol Cell Biochem. 2011;356:121-6 pubmed publisher..Conceivably, a given inhibitor concentration can inhibit only selected CK2-mediated processes in the cell. ..
- Toczyski D, Galgoczy D, Hartwell L. CDC5 and CKII control adaptation to the yeast DNA damage checkpoint. Cell. 1997;90:1097-106 pubmed..show that one mutation resides in CDC5, which encodes a polo-like kinase, whereas a second, less penetrant, adaptation-defective mutant is affected at the CKB2 locus, which encodes a nonessential specificity subunit of casein kinase II.
- Ghavidel A, Schultz M. TATA binding protein-associated CK2 transduces DNA damage signals to the RNA polymerase III transcriptional machinery. Cell. 2001;106:575-84 pubmed..Therefore, CK2 is the terminal effector in a signaling pathway that represses pol III transcription when genome integrity is compromised. ..
- Schaerer Brodbeck C, Riezman H. Genetic and biochemical interactions between the Arp2/3 complex, Cmd1p, casein kinase II, and Tub4p in yeast. FEMS Yeast Res. 2003;4:37-49 pubmed
- Bhat W, Boutin G, Rufiange A, Nourani A. Casein kinase 2 associates with the yeast chromatin reassembly factor Spt2/Sin1 to regulate its function in the repression of spurious transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:4198-211 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest that CK2 regulates the function of Spt2 by modulating its interaction with chromatin and the histone chaperone Spt6. ..
- Kurat C, Lambert J, van Dyk D, Tsui K, van Bakel H, Kaluarachchi S, et al. Restriction of histone gene transcription to S phase by phosphorylation of a chromatin boundary protein. Genes Dev. 2011;25:2489-501 pubmed publisher..Our study identified the chromatin boundary protein Yta7 as a key regulator that links S-phase kinases with RNAPII function at cell cycle-regulated histone gene promoters. ..
- Sawa C, Nedea E, Krogan N, Wada T, Handa H, Greenblatt J, et al. Bromodomain factor 1 (Bdf1) is phosphorylated by protein kinase CK2. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:4734-42 pubmed..A similar mechanism may be responsible for phosphorylation of the C-terminal region of mammalian TAF1. These findings suggest that CK2 phosphorylation of Bdf1 may regulate RNA polymerase II transcription and/or chromatin structure. ..
- Berkey C, Carlson M. A specific catalytic subunit isoform of protein kinase CK2 is required for phosphorylation of the repressor Nrg1 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Curr Genet. 2006;50:1-10 pubmed..This identification of a protein whose phosphorylation requires a specific CK2 catalytic subunit isoform supports the view that the two isoforms exhibit functional specificity in vivo. ..
- Kubinski K, Domanska K, Sajnaga E, Mazur E, Zieliński R, Szyszka R. Yeast holoenzyme of protein kinase CK2 requires both beta and beta' regulatory subunits for its activity. Mol Cell Biochem. 2007;295:229-36 pubmed..strains containing single deletion of the beta or beta' regulatory subunits with vectors carrying lacking CKB1 or CKB2 genes. CK2 holoenzyme activity was restored only in cases when both of them were present in the cell...
- Bidwai A, Reed J, Glover C. Casein kinase II of Saccharomyces cerevisiae contains two distinct regulatory subunits, beta and beta'. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1994;309:348-55 pubmed..This represents the first demonstration of beta subunit heterogeneity in purified CKII from any species. ..
- Kim M, Hahn J. Role of CK2-dependent phosphorylation of Ifh1 and Crf1 in transcriptional regulation of ribosomal protein genes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1859:1004-13 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings suggest the mechanisms by which CK2-dependent recruitment of Ifh1 and Crf1 at the RP gene promoters governs the transcription of RP genes. ..
- Rudra D, Mallick J, Zhao Y, Warner J. Potential interface between ribosomal protein production and pre-rRNA processing. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:4815-24 pubmed..We propose a model in which the CURI complex is a key mediator between the two parallel pathways necessary for ribosome synthesis: the transcription and processing of pre-rRNA and the transcription of ribosomal protein genes. ..
- Pickin K, Ezenwajiaku N, Overcash H, Sethi M, Knecht M, Paumi C. Suppression of Ycf1p function by Cka1p-dependent phosphorylation is attenuated in response to salt stress. FEMS Yeast Res. 2010;10:839-57 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our work demonstrates a novel biochemical role for Cka1p regulation of Ycf1p function in the cellular response of yeast to salt stress...
- Barz T, Ackermann K, Pyerin W. Control of methionine biosynthesis genes by protein kinase CK2-mediated phosphorylation of Cdc34. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2006;63:2183-90 pubmed
- Schmidt O, Harbauer A, Rao S, Eyrich B, Zahedi R, Stojanovski D, et al. Regulation of mitochondrial protein import by cytosolic kinases. Cell. 2011;144:227-39 pubmed publisher..We conclude that cytosolic kinases exert stimulatory and inhibitory effects on biogenesis and function of the TOM complex and thus regulate protein import into mitochondria. ..
- Barberis M, Pagano M, Gioia L, Marin O, Vanoni M, Pinna L, et al. CK2 regulates in vitro the activity of the yeast cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor Sic1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;336:1040-8 pubmed..Taken together, these data disclose the possibility that CK2 plays a role in the regulation of Sic1 activity. ..
- Albert B, Knight B, Merwin J, Martin V, Ottoz D, Gloor Y, et al. A Molecular Titration System Coordinates Ribosomal Protein Gene Transcription with Ribosomal RNA Synthesis. Mol Cell. 2016;64:720-733 pubmed publisher..We present evidence that RNA polymerase I activity inhibits the ability of Utp22 to titrate Ifh1 from RPG promoters and propose that a dynamic Ifh1-Utp22 interaction fine-tunes RPG expression to coordinate RPG and rRNA transcription. ..