Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: CKA2
Description: casein kinase 2 catalytic subunit CKA2
Alias: YOR29-12, casein kinase 2 catalytic subunit CKA2
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Wang X, Johnsson N. Protein kinase CK2 phosphorylates Sec63p to stimulate the assembly of the endoplasmic reticulum protein translocation apparatus. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:723-32 pubmed..These findings show that phosphorylation of Sec63p is required for tightly recruiting the putative signal-sequence-binding subunit Sec62p to the Sec complex. ..
- Padmanabha R, Chen Wu J, Hanna D, Glover C. Isolation, sequencing, and disruption of the yeast CKA2 gene: casein kinase II is essential for viability in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1990;10:4089-99 pubmed..cerevisiae contains two distinct catalytic subunits, alpha and alpha', which are encoded by the CKA1 and CKA2 genes, respectively. Null mutations in the CKA1 gene do not confer a detectable phenotype (J. L.-P. Chen-Wu, R...
- Kurat C, Lambert J, van Dyk D, Tsui K, van Bakel H, Kaluarachchi S, et al. Restriction of histone gene transcription to S phase by phosphorylation of a chromatin boundary protein. Genes Dev. 2011;25:2489-501 pubmed publisher..Our study identified the chromatin boundary protein Yta7 as a key regulator that links S-phase kinases with RNAPII function at cell cycle-regulated histone gene promoters. ..
- Pal G, Paraz M, Kellogg D. Regulation of Mih1/Cdc25 by protein phosphatase 2A and casein kinase 1. J Cell Biol. 2008;180:931-45 pubmed publisher..Because casein kinase 1 is associated with sites of polar growth, it may regulate Mih1 as part of a signaling mechanism that links successful completion of growth-related events to cell cycle progression. ..
- Bandhakavi S, McCann R, Hanna D, Glover C. A positive feedback loop between protein kinase CKII and Cdc37 promotes the activity of multiple protein kinases. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:2829-36 pubmed..of CDC37, which encodes a putative Hsp90 co-chaperone, as a multicopy suppressor of a temperature-sensitive allele (cka2-13(ts)) of the CKA2 gene encoding the alpha' catalytic subunit of protein kinase CKII...
- Kim M, Hahn J. Role of CK2-dependent phosphorylation of Ifh1 and Crf1 in transcriptional regulation of ribosomal protein genes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1859:1004-13 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings suggest the mechanisms by which CK2-dependent recruitment of Ifh1 and Crf1 at the RP gene promoters governs the transcription of RP genes. ..
- Kang W, Kim Y, Kang H, Kwon K, Kim J. Sir2 phosphorylation through cAMP-PKA and CK2 signaling inhibits the lifespan extension activity of Sir2 in yeast. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate a mechanism by which Sir2 contributes to lifespan extension. ..
- Pickin K, Ezenwajiaku N, Overcash H, Sethi M, Knecht M, Paumi C. Suppression of Ycf1p function by Cka1p-dependent phosphorylation is attenuated in response to salt stress. FEMS Yeast Res. 2010;10:839-57 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our work demonstrates a novel biochemical role for Cka1p regulation of Ycf1p function in the cellular response of yeast to salt stress...
- Schaerer Brodbeck C, Riezman H. Genetic and biochemical interactions between the Arp2/3 complex, Cmd1p, casein kinase II, and Tub4p in yeast. FEMS Yeast Res. 2003;4:37-49 pubmed
- Barz T, Ackermann K, Pyerin W. Control of methionine biosynthesis genes by protein kinase CK2-mediated phosphorylation of Cdc34. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2006;63:2183-90 pubmed
- Bidwai A, Reed J, Glover C. Casein kinase II of Saccharomyces cerevisiae contains two distinct regulatory subunits, beta and beta'. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1994;309:348-55 pubmed..This represents the first demonstration of beta subunit heterogeneity in purified CKII from any species. ..
- Albert B, Knight B, Merwin J, Martin V, Ottoz D, Gloor Y, et al. A Molecular Titration System Coordinates Ribosomal Protein Gene Transcription with Ribosomal RNA Synthesis. Mol Cell. 2016;64:720-733 pubmed publisher..We present evidence that RNA polymerase I activity inhibits the ability of Utp22 to titrate Ifh1 from RPG promoters and propose that a dynamic Ifh1-Utp22 interaction fine-tunes RPG expression to coordinate RPG and rRNA transcription. ..
- Schmidt O, Harbauer A, Rao S, Eyrich B, Zahedi R, Stojanovski D, et al. Regulation of mitochondrial protein import by cytosolic kinases. Cell. 2011;144:227-39 pubmed publisher..We conclude that cytosolic kinases exert stimulatory and inhibitory effects on biogenesis and function of the TOM complex and thus regulate protein import into mitochondria. ..
- Berkey C, Carlson M. A specific catalytic subunit isoform of protein kinase CK2 is required for phosphorylation of the repressor Nrg1 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Curr Genet. 2006;50:1-10 pubmed..the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, CK2 is essential for viability, and either catalytic subunit isoform, Cka1 or Cka2, suffices, but previous genetic evidence suggests that the isoforms have some distinct roles...
- Zieliński R, Hellman U, Kubinski K, Szyszka R. Fip1--an essential component of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae polyadenylation machinery is phosophorylated by protein kinase CK2. Mol Cell Biochem. 2006;286:191-7 pubmed
- Graczyk D, Debski J, Muszynska G, Bretner M, Lefebvre O, Boguta M. Casein kinase II-mediated phosphorylation of general repressor Maf1 triggers RNA polymerase III activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:4926-31 pubmed publisher..These results corroborate the previously reported TFIIIB-CK2 interaction and indicate an important role of CK2-mediated Maf1 phosphorylation in triggering Pol III activation. ..
- Bavli Kertselli I, Melamed D, Bar Ziv L, Volf H, Arava Y. Overexpression of eukaryotic initiation factor 5 rescues the translational defect of tpk1w in a manner that necessitates a novel phosphorylation site. FEBS J. 2015;282:504-20 pubmed publisher..These results implicate phosphorylation of eIF5 at Thr191 by CKII as one of the pathways for regulating translation upon glucose depletion. ..
- Lempiäinen H, Uotila A, Urban J, Dohnal I, Ammerer G, Loewith R, et al. Sfp1 interaction with TORC1 and Mrs6 reveals feedback regulation on TOR signaling. Mol Cell. 2009;33:704-16 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that the Sfp1-interacting protein Mrs6, a Rab escort protein involved in membrane trafficking, regulates both Sfp1 nuclear localization and TORC1 signaling. ..
- Utley R, Lacoste N, Jobin Robitaille O, Allard S, Cote J. Regulation of NuA4 histone acetyltransferase activity in transcription and DNA repair by phosphorylation of histone H4. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:8179-90 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that H4 phospho-serine 1 regulates chromatin acetylation by the NuA4 complex and that this process is important for normal gene expression and DNA repair. ..
- Bojanowski K, Filhol O, Cochet C, Chambaz E, Larsen A. DNA topoisomerase II and casein kinase II associate in a molecular complex that is catalytically active. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:22920-6 pubmed
- Siepe D, Jentsch S. Prolyl isomerase Pin1 acts as a switch to control the degree of substrate ubiquitylation. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:967-72 pubmed publisher..This suggests that the Pin1 activity is often translated into a fate-determining ubiquitylation switch, and that Pin1 may affect the degree of substrate ubiquitylation in other pathways as well. ..
- Masłyk M, Kochanowicz E, Zieliński R, Kubinski K, Hellman U, Szyszka R. Yeast surviving factor Svf1 as a new interacting partner, regulator and in vitro substrate of protein kinase CK2. Mol Cell Biochem. 2008;312:61-9 pubmed publisher..Presented data may help to elucidate the role of protein kinase CK2 and Svf1 in the regulation of cell survival pathways. ..
- Pérez Fernández J, Roman A, De Las Rivas J, Bustelo X, Dosil M. The 90S preribosome is a multimodular structure that is assembled through a hierarchical mechanism. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:5414-29 pubmed..Together, our data identify the mechanism of assembly of the 90S preribosome and offer novel information about its internal architecture. ..
- Kubinski K, Zielinski R, Hellman U, Mazur E, Szyszka R. Yeast elf1 factor is phosphorylated and interacts with protein kinase CK2. J Biochem Mol Biol. 2006;39:311-8 pubmed..These data may help to elucidate the role of protein kinase CK2 and Elf1 in the regulation of transcription elongation. ..
- Barberis M, Pagano M, Gioia L, Marin O, Vanoni M, Pinna L, et al. CK2 regulates in vitro the activity of the yeast cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor Sic1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;336:1040-8 pubmed..Taken together, these data disclose the possibility that CK2 plays a role in the regulation of Sic1 activity. ..
- Auty R, Steen H, Myers L, Persinger J, Bartholomew B, Gygi S, et al. Purification of active TFIID from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Extensive promoter contacts and co-activator function. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:49973-81 pubmed..mass spectrometry confirms the presence of all the known TAFs and TBP, as well as Rsp5, Bul1, Ubp3, Bre5, Cka1, and Cka2. Both Taf1 and Taf5 are ubiquitinated, and the ubiquitination pattern of TFIID changes when BUL1 or BRE5 is deleted...
- Li J, Coïc E, Lee K, Lee C, Kim J, Wu Q, et al. Regulation of budding yeast mating-type switching donor preference by the FHA domain of Fkh1. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002630 pubmed publisher..We also find that when RE binds to the region near the DSB at MATa then Mec1 and Tel1 checkpoint kinases are not only able to phosphorylate histone H2A (?-H2AX) around the DSB but can also promote ?-H2AX spreading around the RE region. ..
- Upton T, Wiltshire S, Francesconi S, Eisenberg S. ABF1 Ser-720 is a predominant phosphorylation site for casein kinase II of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:16153-9 pubmed..Thus, phosphorylation of ABF1 by yeast CKII may prove to be a useful system for studying targeting mechanisms of CKII to a physiological substrate. ..
- Farley A, Powell D, Weaver C, Jennings J, Link A. Assessing the components of the eIF3 complex and their phosphorylation status. J Proteome Res. 2011;10:1481-94 pubmed publisher..Replacement of these three Nip1 serines with alanines causes a slow growth phenotype. ..
- Barz T, Ackermann K, Pyerin W. Perturbation of protein kinase CK2 uncouples executive part of phosphate maintenance pathway from cyclin-CDK control. FEBS Lett. 2003;537:210-4 pubmed..Thus, perturbation of CK2 uncouples the executive part of the PHO pathway from its cyclin-CDK control complex. ..
- Lass A, Cocklin R, Scaglione K, Skowyra M, Korolev S, Goebl M, et al. The loop-less tmCdc34 E2 mutant defective in polyubiquitination in vitro and in vivo supports yeast growth in a manner dependent on Ubp14 and Cka2. Cell Div. 2011;6:7 pubmed publisher..Phosphorylation of C-terminal serines in tmCdc34 by Cka2 kinase prevents the synthesis of free polyubiquitin chains, likely by promoting their attachment to substrate...
- FernÃ¡ndez Golbano I, Idrissi F, Giblin J, Grosshans B, Robles V, GrÃ¶tsch H, et al. Crosstalk between PI(4,5)Pâ‚‚and CK2 modulates actin polymerization during endocytic uptake. Dev Cell. 2014;30:746-58 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that crosstalk between PI(4,5)Pâ‚‚and the CK2 catalytic subunit Cka2 controls actin polymerization at endocytic sites...
- Fabrizio P, Hoon S, Shamalnasab M, Galbani A, Wei M, Giaever G, et al. Genome-wide screen in Saccharomyces cerevisiae identifies vacuolar protein sorting, autophagy, biosynthetic, and tRNA methylation genes involved in life span regulation. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001024 pubmed publisher..Among the genes whose deletion significantly extended life span are ACB1, CKA2, and TRM9, implicated in fatty acid transport and biosynthesis, cell signaling, and tRNA methylation, respectively...
- Cho B, Hahn J. CK2-dependent phosphorylation positively regulates stress-induced activation of Msn2 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochim Biophys Acta Gene Regul Mech. 2017;1860:695-704 pubmed publisher..overexpression elicits hyperactivation of Msn2/4, whereas deletion of one of the CK2 catalytic subunits, especially CKA2, leads to reduced transcriptional activity of Msn2/4 in response to glucose starvation, H2O2, ..
- Johnson A, Zaman M, Veljanoski F, Phrakaysone A, Li S, O Doherty P, et al. Unravelling the role of protein kinase CK2 in metal toxicity using gene deletion mutants. Metallomics. 2017;9:301-308 pubmed publisher..The deletion of CKA2, the yeast orthologue of mammalian CK2?', leads to a pronounced resistant phenotype against Zn2+ and Al<..
- Bandhakavi S, McCann R, Hanna D, Glover C. Genetic interactions among ZDS1,2, CDC37, and protein kinase CK2 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEBS Lett. 2003;554:295-300 pubmed..the identification of the homologous gene pair ZDS1,2 as multicopy suppressors of a temperature-sensitive allele (cka2-13(ts)) of the CKA2 gene encoding the alpha' catalytic subunit of protein kinase CK2...
- Gerus M, Bonnart C, Caizergues Ferrer M, Henry Y, Henras A. Evolutionarily conserved function of RRP36 in early cleavages of the pre-rRNA and production of the 40S ribosomal subunit. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:1130-44 pubmed publisher..In parallel, we studied the human orthologue of Rrp36p in HeLa cells, and we show that the function of this protein in early cleavages of the pre-rRNA has been conserved through evolution in eukaryotes. ..
- Fresques T, Niles B, Aronova S, Mogri H, Rakhshandehroo T, Powers T. Regulation of ceramide synthase by casein kinase 2-dependent phosphorylation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:1395-403 pubmed publisher..Proper formation of ceramides by CerS has been shown previously to require the Cka2 subunit of casein kinase 2 (CK2), a ubiquitous enzyme with multiple cellular functions, but the precise mechanism ..
- Chasman D, Ho Y, Berry D, Nemec C, Macgilvray M, Hose J, et al. Pathway connectivity and signaling coordination in the yeast stress-activated signaling network. Mol Syst Biol. 2014;10:759 pubmed publisher..We find that the orthologous human network is enriched for cancer-causing genes, underscoring the importance of the subnetwork's predictions in understanding stress biology. ..
- Hewawasam G, Mattingly M, Venkatesh S, Zhang Y, Florens L, Workman J, et al. Phosphorylation by casein kinase 2 facilitates Psh1 protein-assisted degradation of Cse4 protein. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:29297-309 pubmed publisher..Here we report that Psh1 is phosphorylated by the Cka2 subunit of casein kinase 2 (CK2) to promote its E3 activity for Cse4...
- Cho B, Lee P, Hahn J. CK2-dependent inhibitory phosphorylation is relieved by Ppt1 phosphatase for the ethanol stress-specific activation of Hsf1 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Microbiol. 2014;93:306-16 pubmed publisher..Therefore, regulation of the Hsf1 S608 phosphorylation status by reciprocal actions of CK2 and Ppt1 might play an important role to determine Hsf1 sensitivity towards ethanol stress. ..
- Burns L, Wente S. Casein kinase II regulation of the Hot1 transcription factor promotes stochastic gene expression. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:17668-79 pubmed publisher..Together, this work reveals a novel CK2 function during the hyperosmotic stress response that promotes cell-to-cell variability in gene expression. ..
- Angermayr M, Hochleitner E, Lottspeich F, Bandlow W. Protein kinase CK2 activates the atypical Rio1p kinase and promotes its cell-cycle phase-dependent degradation in yeast. FEBS J. 2007;274:4654-67 pubmed..Physiological studies indicate that phosphorylation by CK2 renders the Rio1 protein kinase susceptible to proteolytic degradation at the G(1)/S transition in the cell-division cycle, whereas the non-phosphorylated version is resistant. ..
- Bhat W, Boutin G, Rufiange A, Nourani A. Casein kinase 2 associates with the yeast chromatin reassembly factor Spt2/Sin1 to regulate its function in the repression of spurious transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:4198-211 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest that CK2 regulates the function of Spt2 by modulating its interaction with chromatin and the histone chaperone Spt6. ..
- Ghavidel A, Schultz M. TATA binding protein-associated CK2 transduces DNA damage signals to the RNA polymerase III transcriptional machinery. Cell. 2001;106:575-84 pubmed..Therefore, CK2 is the terminal effector in a signaling pathway that represses pol III transcription when genome integrity is compromised. ..
- Curwin A, LeBlanc M, Fairn G, McMaster C. Localization of lipid raft proteins to the plasma membrane is a major function of the phospholipid transfer protein Sec14. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e55388 pubmed publisher..Localization of both lipid raft proteins was restored upon increased expression of the sec14(ts) allele. We suggest that a major function provided by Sec14 is trafficking and localization of lipid raft proteins. ..
- Janeczko M, Masłyk M, Szyszka R, Baier A. Interactions between subunits of protein kinase CK2 and their protein substrates influences its sensitivity to specific inhibitors. Mol Cell Biochem. 2011;356:121-6 pubmed publisher..Conceivably, a given inhibitor concentration can inhibit only selected CK2-mediated processes in the cell. ..