Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: CDC24
Description: Rho family guanine nucleotide exchange factor CDC24
Alias: CLS4, Rho family guanine nucleotide exchange factor CDC24
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Yoshida S, Bartolini S, Pellman D. Mechanisms for concentrating Rho1 during cytokinesis. Genes Dev. 2009;23:810-23 pubmed publisher..These findings comprehensively define the targeting mechanisms of Rho1 essential for cytokinesis in yeast, and are likely to be relevant to cytokinesis in other organisms. ..
- Höfken T, Schiebel E. A role for cell polarity proteins in mitotic exit. EMBO J. 2002;21:4851-62 pubmed..The Rho-like GTPase Cdc42, its GEF Cdc24 and its effector Cla4 [a member of the p21-activated kinases (PAKs)] control the initial binding and activation of ..
- Michelitch M, Chant J. A mechanism of Bud1p GTPase action suggested by mutational analysis and immunolocalization. Curr Biol. 1996;6:446-54 pubmed..BUD1 effector domain produces a protein which can neither support normal patterns of budding nor interact with CDC24, which encodes a likely Bud1p effector...
- Bose I, Irazoqui J, Moskow J, Bardes E, Zyla T, Lew D. Assembly of scaffold-mediated complexes containing Cdc42p, the exchange factor Cdc24p, and the effector Cla4p required for cell cycle-regulated phosphorylation of Cdc24p. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:7176-86 pubmed..We suggest that Bem1p acts to concentrate polarity establishment proteins at a discrete site, facilitating polarization and promoting Cdc24p phosphorylation at specific times during the cell cycle. ..
- Chen G, Kim Y, Chan C. The Cdc42 GTPase-associated proteins Gic1 and Gic2 are required for polarized cell growth in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genes Dev. 1997;11:2958-71 pubmed..The ability of Gic1 to associate with Cdc42 is important for its function but is apparently not essential for its subcellular localization. ..
- Butty A, Pryciak P, Huang L, Herskowitz I, Peter M. The role of Far1p in linking the heterotrimeric G protein to polarity establishment proteins during yeast mating. Science. 1998;282:1511-6 pubmed..Thus, Far1p functions as an adaptor that recruits polarity establishment proteins to the site of extracellular signaling marked by Gbetagamma to polarize assembly of the cytoskeleton in a morphogenetic gradient. ..
- Gao X, Sperber L, Kane S, Tong Z, Tong A, Boone C, et al. Sequential and distinct roles of the cadherin domain-containing protein Axl2p in cell polarization in yeast cell cycle. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:2542-60 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that Axl2p plays sequential and distinct roles in the regulation of cellular morphogenesis in yeast cell cycle. ..
- Bender A, Pringle J. A Ser/Thr-rich multicopy suppressor of a cdc24 bud emergence defect. Yeast. 1992;8:315-23 pubmedMSB2 was identified previously as a multicopy suppressor of a temperature-sensitive mutation in CDC24, a gene required for polarity establishment and bud formation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Nern A, Arkowitz R. A GTP-exchange factor required for cell orientation. Nature. 1998;391:195-8 pubmed..The Rho-family GTPase Cdc42 and its exchange factor Cdc24 have been implicated in the mating process, but their specific role is unknown...
- Mack D, Nishimura K, Dennehey B, Arbogast T, Parkinson J, Toh e A, et al. Identification of the bud emergence gene BEM4 and its interactions with rho-type GTPases in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:4387-95 pubmed..CDC42 for survival, and (iii) mutations that display synthetic lethality with a partial-loss-of-function allele of CDC24, which encodes a guanine nucleotide exchange factor for Cdc42p...
- Zhao Z, Leung T, Manser E, Lim L. Pheromone signalling in Saccharomyces cerevisiae requires the small GTP-binding protein Cdc42p and its activator CDC24. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:5246-57 pubmed..Epistatic analysis indicates that CDC24 and CDC42 lie between STE4 and STE20 in the pathway...
- Park H, Bi E, Pringle J, Herskowitz I. Two active states of the Ras-related Bud1/Rsr1 protein bind to different effectors to determine yeast cell polarity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:4463-8 pubmed..Another group of proteins, which includes a Rho-like GTPase (Cdc42), its guanine nucleotide exchange factor (Cdc24), and Bem1, is necessary for organization of the actin cytoskeleton and for cell polarization...
- Zheng Y, Bender A, Cerione R. Interactions among proteins involved in bud-site selection and bud-site assembly in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:626-30 pubmed..The Cdc24 protein is required both for proper bud-site selection and bud-site assembly and has been recently shown to ..
- Bi E, Chiavetta J, Chen H, Chen G, Chan C, Pringle J. Identification of novel, evolutionarily conserved Cdc42p-interacting proteins and of redundant pathways linking Cdc24p and Cdc42p to actin polarization in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:773-93 pubmed..The former pathway appears to be more important in diploids and at low temperatures, whereas the latter pathway appears to be more important in haploids and at high temperatures. ..
- Bender A, Pringle J. Multicopy suppression of the cdc24 budding defect in yeast by CDC42 and three newly identified genes including the ras-related gene RSR1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1989;86:9976-80 pubmedGenes CDC24, CDC42, and CDC43 are required for the establishment of cell polarity and the localization of secretion in Saccharomyces cerevisiae; mutants defective in these genes fail to form buds and display isotropic expansion of the ..
- Knaus M, Pelli Gulli M, van Drogen F, Springer S, Jaquenoud M, Peter M. Phosphorylation of Bem2p and Bem3p may contribute to local activation of Cdc42p at bud emergence. EMBO J. 2007;26:4501-13 pubmed
- Wiget P, Shimada Y, Butty A, Bi E, Peter M. Site-specific regulation of the GEF Cdc24p by the scaffold protein Far1p during yeast mating. EMBO J. 2004;23:1063-74 pubmed..Our results imply that Gbetagamma not only targets Far1p to the correct site but may also trigger a conformational change in Far1p that is required for its ability to activate Cdc24p in vivo. ..
- Iwase M, Luo J, Nagaraj S, Longtine M, Kim H, Haarer B, et al. Role of a Cdc42p effector pathway in recruitment of the yeast septins to the presumptive bud site. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:1110-25 pubmed..Two-hybrid, in vitro protein binding, and coimmunoprecipitation data indicate that this role involves a direct interaction of the Gic proteins with the septin Cdc12p. ..
- Gronemeyer T, Chollet J, Werner S, Glomb O, Bäuerle A, Johnsson N. A Split-Ubiquitin Based Strategy Selecting for Protein Complex-Interfering Mutations. G3 (Bethesda). 2016;6:2809-15 pubmed publisher..Applied to the exemplary interaction between the PB domains of the yeast proteins Bem1 and Cdc24, we performed two independent selections...
- Ito T, Matsui Y, Ago T, Ota K, Sumimoto H. Novel modular domain PB1 recognizes PC motif to mediate functional protein-protein interactions. EMBO J. 2001;20:3938-46 pubmed..This domain-swapping experiment demonstrates that Bem1p function requires interaction with Cdc24p, in which the PB1 domain and the PC motif participate as responsible modules. ..
- Höfken T, Schiebel E. Novel regulation of mitotic exit by the Cdc42 effectors Gic1 and Gic2. J Cell Biol. 2004;164:219-31 pubmedThe guanine nucleotide exchange factor Cdc24, the GTPase Cdc42, and the Cdc42 effectors Cla4 and Ste20, two p21-activated kinases, form a signal transduction cascade that promotes mitotic exit in yeast...
- Nelson B, Parsons A, Evangelista M, Schaefer K, Kennedy K, Ritchie S, et al. Fus1p interacts with components of the Hog1p mitogen-activated protein kinase and Cdc42p morphogenesis signaling pathways to control cell fusion during yeast mating. Genetics. 2004;166:67-77 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest that Fus1p acts as a scaffold for the assembly of a cell surface complex involved in polarized secretion of septum-degrading enzymes and inhibition of HOG pathway signaling to promote cell fusion. ..
- Mionnet C, Bogliolo S, Arkowitz R. Oligomerization regulates the localization of Cdc24, the Cdc42 activator in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:17515-30 pubmed publisher..Together, our results suggest that Cdc24p oligomerization regulates Cdc42p activation via its localization. ..
- Goryachev A, Pokhilko A. Computational model explains high activity and rapid cycling of Rho GTPases within protein complexes. PLoS Comput Biol. 2006;2:e172 pubmed..Interestingly, we find that the cycling regimes are only weakly dependent on the concentration of GTPase itself. ..
- van Drogen Petit A, Zwahlen C, Peter M, Bonvin A. Insight into molecular interactions between two PB1 domains. J Mol Biol. 2004;336:1195-210 pubmed..molecular interactions of the PB1 heterodimer complex composed of the PB1 domains of the yeast proteins Bem1 and Cdc24. A structural model of the Cdc24 PB1 was built by homology modeling and molecular dynamics simulations, and ..
- Nern A, Arkowitz R. Nucleocytoplasmic shuttling of the Cdc42p exchange factor Cdc24p. J Cell Biol. 2000;148:1115-22 pubmed..Our results suggest that the nucleus serves as a store of preformed Cdc24p-Far1p complex which is required for chemotropism. ..
- Madden K, Snyder M. Cell polarity and morphogenesis in budding yeast. Annu Rev Microbiol. 1998;52:687-744 pubmed..Since many of the components important for polarized cell growth are conserved in other organisms, the basic mechanisms mediating polarized cell growth are likely to be universal among eukaryotes. ..
- Tcheperegine S, Gao X, Bi E. Regulation of cell polarity by interactions of Msb3 and Msb4 with Cdc42 and polarisome components. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:8567-80 pubmed..A functional equivalent of the polarisome probably exists in other fungi and mammals. ..
- Meitinger F, Khmelinskii A, Morlot S, Kurtulmus B, Palani S, Andrés Pons A, et al. A memory system of negative polarity cues prevents replicative aging. Cell. 2014;159:1056-1069 pubmed publisher..Our work thus established CRMs as negative polarity cues that prevent Cdc42 reactivation to sustain the fitness of replicating cells. ..
- Liao Y, He F, Gong T, Bi E, Gao X. Msb1 interacts with Cdc42, Boi1, and Boi2 and may coordinate Cdc42 and Rho1 functions during early stage of bud development in budding yeast. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e66321 pubmed publisher..Cdc42 function during bud development, since high-copy MSB1 suppressed the growth defect of temperature-sensitive cdc24 and cdc42 mutants at restrictive temperature, while deletion of MSB1 showed synthetic lethality with cdc24, bem1, ..
- Barale S, McCusker D, Arkowitz R. Cdc42p GDP/GTP cycling is necessary for efficient cell fusion during yeast mating. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:2824-38 pubmed..defective in cell fusion and in localization of the cell fusion protein Fus1p, similar to a previously isolated cdc24 (cdc24-m6) mutant...
- Barale S, McCusker D, Arkowitz R. The exchange factor Cdc24 is required for cell fusion during yeast mating. Eukaryot Cell. 2004;3:1049-61 pubmed..To understand the functions of this critical Cdc42p activator, we identified additional cdc24 mating mutants...
- Cole K, Barbour J, Midkiff J, Marble B, Johnson D. Multiple proteins and phosphorylations regulate Saccharomyces cerevisiae Cdc24p localization. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:3339-43 pubmed publisher..Localization of GFP-tagged Cdc24 proteins or fragments was assayed in deletion mutants of Cdc24p-interacting proteins...
- Toenjes K, Simpson D, Johnson D. Separate membrane targeting and anchoring domains function in the localization of the S. cerevisiae Cdc24p guanine nucleotide exchange factor. Curr Genet. 2004;45:257-64 pubmed..Given the highly conserved roles of GEFs in Cdc42p signaling pathways, it is likely that similar targeting and anchoring mechanisms exist for Rho GEFs in other eukaryotes. ..
- Santos B, Snyder M. Sbe2p and sbe22p, two homologous Golgi proteins involved in yeast cell wall formation. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:435-52 pubmed..Thus, we suggest a model in which Sbe2p and Sbe22p are involved in the transport of cell wall components from the Golgi apparatus to the cell surface periphery in a pathway independent of Chs5p. ..
- Onishi M, Ko N, Nishihama R, Pringle J. Distinct roles of Rho1, Cdc42, and Cyk3 in septum formation and abscission during yeast cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:311-29 pubmed publisher..This work suggests a general role for the catalytically inactive transglutaminases of fungi and animals, some of which have previously been implicated in cytokinesis. ..
- Leitner D, Wahl M, Labudde D, Krause G, Diehl A, Schmieder P, et al. The solution structure of an N-terminally truncated version of the yeast CDC24p PB1 domain shows a different beta-sheet topology. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:3534-8 pubmed..Residues which are important for the heterodimerization with BEM1p are structurally preserved. ..
- Wu C, Chiou J, Minakova M, Woods B, Tsygankov D, Zyla T, et al. Role of competition between polarity sites in establishing a unique front. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..By manipulating polarity protein dynamics, we show that resolution of multi-cluster intermediates occurs through a greedy competition between clusters to recruit and retain polarity proteins from a shared intracellular pool. ..
- Bonneau F, Basquin J, Ebert J, Lorentzen E, Conti E. The yeast exosome functions as a macromolecular cage to channel RNA substrates for degradation. Cell. 2009;139:547-59 pubmed publisher..Although the catalytic function of the exosome core has been lost during evolution, the substrate recruitment and binding properties have been conserved from prokaryotes to eukaryotes. ..
- Pitoniak A, Chavel C, Chow J, Smith J, Camara D, Karunanithi S, et al. Cdc42p-interacting protein Bem4p regulates the filamentous-growth mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway. Mol Cell Biol. 2015;35:417-36 pubmed publisher..Bem4p also interacted with the MAPK kinase kinase (MAPKKK) Ste11p. Thus, Bem4p is a new regulator of the filamentous-growth MAPK pathway and binds to general proteins, like Cdc42p and Ste11p, to promote a pathway-specific response. ..
- White W, Johnson D. Characterization of synthetic-lethal mutants reveals a role for the Saccharomyces cerevisiae guanine-nucleotide exchange factor Cdc24p in vacuole function and Na+ tolerance. Genetics. 1997;147:43-55 pubmed..To identify new genes that may affect cell polarity, we characterized six UV-induced csl (CDC24 synthetic-lethal) mutants that exhibited synthetic-lethality with cdc24-4ls at 23 degrees...
- Davis C, Richman T, Deliduka S, Blaisdell J, Collins C, Johnson D. Analysis of the mechanisms of action of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae dominant lethal cdc42G12V and dominant negative cdc42D118A mutations. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:849-58 pubmed
- Ogura K, Tandai T, Yoshinaga S, Kobashigawa Y, Kumeta H, Ito T, et al. NMR structure of the heterodimer of Bem1 and Cdc24 PB1 domains from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biochem. 2009;146:317-25 pubmed publisherBem1 and Cdc24 of the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae interact with each other through PB1-PB1 heterodimer formation to regulate the establishment of cell polarity...
- Zheng Y, Cerione R, Bender A. Control of the yeast bud-site assembly GTPase Cdc42. Catalysis of guanine nucleotide exchange by Cdc24 and stimulation of GTPase activity by Bem3. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:2369-72 pubmed..Here we report that the product of the CDC24 gene, which is required for proper bud-site selection and bud emergence, can stimulate the exchange of GTP for GDP ..
- Lottersberger F, Panza A, Lucchini G, Piatti S, Longhese M. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae 14-3-3 proteins are required for the G1/S transition, actin cytoskeleton organization and cell wall integrity. Genetics. 2006;173:661-75 pubmed..Remarkably, budding and DNA replication defects of bmh mutants were suppressed by CLN2 expression from an SBF-independent promoter, suggesting that 14-3-3 proteins might contribute to regulating the late G(1) transcriptional program. ..
- Finger F, Novick P. Synthetic interactions of the post-Golgi sec mutations of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2000;156:943-51 pubmed..The significance of these results is discussed in the context of both secretory pathway function and the utility of synthetic lethality studies and their interpretation. ..
- Fujimura Kamada K, Hirai T, Tanaka K. Essential role of the NH2-terminal region of Cdc24 guanine nucleotide exchange factor in its initial polarized localization in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2012;11:2-15 pubmed publisher..b>Cdc24 is an upstream regulator of budding yeast Cdc42 that accelerates the exchange of GDP for GTP in Cdc42 via its Dbl ..
- Vadaie N, Dionne H, Akajagbor D, Nickerson S, Krysan D, Cullen P. Cleavage of the signaling mucin Msb2 by the aspartyl protease Yps1 is required for MAPK activation in yeast. J Cell Biol. 2008;181:1073-81 pubmed publisher..We postulate that cleavage-dependent activation is a general feature of signaling mucins, which brings to light a novel regulatory aspect of this class of signaling adhesion molecule. ..
- McMillan J, Theesfeld C, Harrison J, Bardes E, Lew D. Determinants of Swe1p degradation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:3560-75 pubmed..The other region did not appear to affect interactions with known Swe1p regulators, suggesting that other as-yet-unknown regulators exist. ..
- Witte K, Strickland D, Glotzer M. Cell cycle entry triggers a switch between two modes of Cdc42 activation during yeast polarization. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..thought to self sustain by recruiting a complex containing Cla4, a Cdc42-binding effector, Bem1, a scaffold, and Cdc24, a Cdc42 GEF...
- Wang Y, Chen W, Simpson D, Elion E. Cdc24 regulates nuclear shuttling and recruitment of the Ste5 scaffold to a heterotrimeric G protein in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:13084-96 pubmedThe Saccharomyces cerevisiae guanine nucleotide exchange factor Cdc24 regulates polarized growth by binding to Cdc42, a Rho-type GTPase that has many effectors, including Ste20 kinase, which activates multiple MAPK cascades...
- Kuo C, Savage N, Chen H, Wu C, Zyla T, Lew D. Inhibitory GEF phosphorylation provides negative feedback in the yeast polarity circuit. Curr Biol. 2014;24:753-9 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a mechanism for negative feedback and suggest that the function of negative feedback via GEF inhibition is to buffer the level of Cdc42 at the polarity site. ..
- Liu D, Novick P. Bem1p contributes to secretory pathway polarization through a direct interaction with Exo70p. J Cell Biol. 2014;207:59-72 pubmed publisher..Similar to Sec3p, the actin-independent localization of Exo70p requires a synergistic interaction with the phosphoinositide PI(4,5)P2. ..
- Rida P, Surana U. Cdc42-dependent localization of polarisome component Spa2 to the incipient bud site is independent of the GDP/GTP exchange factor Cdc24. Eur J Cell Biol. 2005;84:939-49 pubmed..the role of Cdc42 in the cortical localization of Spa2 appears to be independent of its well known GTP/GDP exchange factor Cdc24. We also provide evidence that this role of Cdc42 requires the function of the COPI coatomer complex.
- Kang P, Beven L, Hariharan S, Park H. The Rsr1/Bud1 GTPase interacts with itself and the Cdc42 GTPase during bud-site selection and polarity establishment in budding yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:3007-16 pubmed publisher..Our findings thus suggest that dimerization of GTPases may be an efficient mechanism to set up cellular asymmetry. ..
- Ziman M, Johnson D. Genetic evidence for a functional interaction between Saccharomyces cerevisiae CDC24 and CDC42. Yeast. 1994;10:463-74 pubmed..Second, overexpression of wild-type CDC24 and CDC42 genes together was a lethal event resulting in a morphological phenotype of large, round, unbudded cells,..
- Zajac A, Sun X, Zhang J, Guo W. Cyclical regulation of the exocyst and cell polarity determinants for polarized cell growth. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:1500-12 pubmed..We propose that a cyclical regulatory network contributes to the establishment and maintenance of polarized cell growth in yeast. ..
- Yasutis K, Vignali M, Ryder M, Tameire F, Dighe S, Fields S, et al. Zds2p regulates Swe1p-dependent polarized cell growth in Saccharomyces cerevisiae via a novel Cdc55p interaction domain. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:4373-86 pubmed publisher..This negative regulation requires the CDC55 gene. Together these data indicate that the Cdc55p/Zds2p module has a function in the regulation of the Swe1p-dependent G2/M checkpoint. ..
- Kozubowski L, Saito K, Johnson J, Howell A, Zyla T, Lew D. Symmetry-breaking polarization driven by a Cdc42p GEF-PAK complex. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1719-26 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide mechanistic insight into an evolutionarily conserved pattern-forming positive-feedback pathway. ..
- McCusker D, Denison C, Anderson S, Egelhofer T, Yates J, Gygi S, et al. Cdk1 coordinates cell-surface growth with the cell cycle. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:506-15 pubmed..Moreover, we show that G1 cyclin-Cdk1 complexes specifically phosphorylate multiple proteins associated with Cdc24, the guanine nucleotide-exchange factor (GEF) that activates the Cdc42 GTPase...
- Amarnath S, Kawli T, Mohanty S, Srinivasan N, Nanjundiah V. Pleiotropic roles of a ribosomal protein in Dictyostelium discoideum. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30644 pubmed publisher..discoideum cDNA that encodes the ribosomal protein S4 (DdS4) rescues mutations in the cell cycle genes cdc24, cdc42 and bem1...
- Shimada Y, Gulli M, Peter M. Nuclear sequestration of the exchange factor Cdc24 by Far1 regulates cell polarity during yeast mating. Nat Cell Biol. 2000;2:117-24 pubmed..Here we show that Cdc24, the guanine-nucleotide exchange factor for the yeast GTPase Cdc42, is sequestered in the cell nucleus by Far1...