Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: CDC23
Description: anaphase promoting complex subunit CDC23
Alias: anaphase promoting complex subunit CDC23
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Grossberger R, Gieffers C, Zachariae W, Podtelejnikov A, Schleiffer A, Nasmyth K, et al. Characterization of the DOC1/APC10 subunit of the yeast and the human anaphase-promoting complex. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:14500-7 pubmed..DOC domains may therefore be important for reactions catalyzed by several types of ubiquitin-protein ligases. ..
- Lim H, Goh P, Surana U. Cdc20 is essential for the cyclosome-mediated proteolysis of both Pds1 and Clb2 during M phase in budding yeast. Curr Biol. 1998;8:231-4 pubmed..This notion is consistent with our observations that Cdc20 is localized in the nucleus and co-immunoprecipitates with an APC component, Cdc23.
- Thornton B, Ng T, Matyskiela M, Carroll C, Morgan D, Toczyski D. An architectural map of the anaphase-promoting complex. Genes Dev. 2006;20:449-60 pubmed..Apc2 (Cullin), Apc11 (RING), and Doc1/Apc10, and another that contains the three TPR subunits (Cdc27, Cdc16, and Cdc23)...
- Rudner A, Murray A. Phosphorylation by Cdc28 activates the Cdc20-dependent activity of the anaphase-promoting complex. J Cell Biol. 2000;149:1377-90 pubmed..Mutating putative Cdc28 phosphorylation sites in three components of the APC, Cdc16, Cdc23, and Cdc27, makes the APC resistant to phosphorylation both in vivo and in vitro...
- Matyskiela M, Morgan D. Analysis of activator-binding sites on the APC/C supports a cooperative substrate-binding mechanism. Mol Cell. 2009;34:68-80 pubmed publisher..We identified residues in Cdc23 and Cdc27 that are required for APC/C binding to Cdc20 and Cdh1 and for APC/C function in vivo...
- Zachariae W, Shin T, Galova M, Obermaier B, Nasmyth K. Identification of subunits of the anaphase-promoting complex of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Science. 1996;274:1201-4 pubmed..A small heat-inducible subunit is encoded by the CDC26 gene. The yeast APC is a 36S particle that contains at least seven different proteins. ..
- Hall M, Torres M, Schroeder G, Borchers C. Mnd2 and Swm1 are core subunits of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae anaphase-promoting complex. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:16698-705 pubmed..Mnd2 interacted strongly with Cdc23, Apc5, and Apc1 when coexpressed in an in vitro transcription/translation reaction...
- Passmore L, Booth C, Venien Bryan C, Ludtke S, Fioretto C, Johnson L, et al. Structural analysis of the anaphase-promoting complex reveals multiple active sites and insights into polyubiquitylation. Mol Cell. 2005;20:855-66 pubmed..Our data suggest that multimerisation and/or the presence of multiple active sites facilitates the APC/C's ability to elongate polyubiquitin chains. ..
- Yamamoto A, Guacci V, Koshland D. Pds1p, an inhibitor of anaphase in budding yeast, plays a critical role in the APC and checkpoint pathway(s). J Cell Biol. 1996;133:99-110 pubmed..Therefore, in the DNA-damage checkpoint, Pds1p is required for the inhibition of cytokinesis and DNA replication as well as anaphase. The role of Pds1 protein in anaphase inhibition and general cell cycle regulation is discussed. ..
- Hwang L, Murray A. A novel yeast screen for mitotic arrest mutants identifies DOC1, a new gene involved in cyclin proteolysis. Mol Biol Cell. 1997;8:1877-87 pubmed..Most of these mutants lie in the CDC16, CDC23, and CDC27 genes, which have already been shown to play a role in cyclin proteolysis and encode components of a ..
- Schwab M, Neutzner M, Mocker D, Seufert W. Yeast Hct1 recognizes the mitotic cyclin Clb2 and other substrates of the ubiquitin ligase APC. EMBO J. 2001;20:5165-75 pubmed..We propose that proteins of the Cdc20 family are substrate recognition subunits of the ubiquitin ligase APC. ..
- Oelschlaegel T, Schwickart M, Matos J, Bogdanova A, Camasses A, Havlis J, et al. The yeast APC/C subunit Mnd2 prevents premature sister chromatid separation triggered by the meiosis-specific APC/C-Ama1. Cell. 2005;120:773-88 pubmed..In vitro, Mnd2 inhibits ubiquitination of Pds1 by APC/C-Ama1 but not by other APC/C holo-enzymes. We conclude that chromosome segregation in meiosis depends on the selective inhibition of a meiosis-specific form of the APC/C. ..
- Yang Y, Tsuchiya D, Lacefield S. Bub3 promotes Cdc20-dependent activation of the APC/C in S. cerevisiae. J Cell Biol. 2015;209:519-27 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate that Bub3 has a previously unknown function at the kinetochore in activating APC/C-Cdc20 for normal mitotic progression. ..
- Blethrow J, Tang C, Deng C, Krutchinsky A. Modular mass spectrometric tool for analysis of composition and phosphorylation of protein complexes. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e358 pubmed
- Warsi T, Navarro M, Bachant J. DNA topoisomerase II is a determinant of the tensile properties of yeast centromeric chromatin and the tension checkpoint. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:4421-33 pubmed publisher..In sum, Top2 seems to play a novel role in CEN compaction that is distinct from decatenation. Perturbations to this function may allow weakened kinetochores to stretch CENs in a manner that mimics tension or evades Ipl1 surveillance. ..
- Searle J, Schollaert K, Wilkins B, Sanchez Y. The DNA damage checkpoint and PKA pathways converge on APC substrates and Cdc20 to regulate mitotic progression. Nat Cell Biol. 2004;6:138-45 pubmed..These data show that PKA pathways regulate mitotic progression through Cdc20 and support the DNA damage checkpoint pathways in regulating the destruction of Clb2 and securin. ..
- Yu H, Peters J, King R, Page A, Hieter P, Kirschner M. Identification of a cullin homology region in a subunit of the anaphase-promoting complex. Science. 1998;279:1219-22 pubmed..complex is composed of eight protein subunits, including BimE (APC1), CDC27 (APC3), CDC16 (APC6), and CDC23 (APC8). The remaining four human APC subunits, APC2, APC4, APC5, and APC7, as well as human CDC23, were cloned...
- Liberzon A, Shpungin S, Bangio H, Yona E, Katcoff D. Association of yeast SAP1, a novel member of the 'AAA' ATPase family of proteins, with the chromatin protein SIN1. FEBS Lett. 1996;388:5-10 pubmed..The central 'HMG1-like region' of SIN1 binds DNA, while the N-terminal of SIN1 can bind CDC23, a protein that regulates chromosome segregation...
- da Fonseca P, Kong E, Zhang Z, Schreiber A, Williams M, Morris E, et al. Structures of APC/C(Cdh1) with substrates identify Cdh1 and Apc10 as the D-box co-receptor. Nature. 2011;470:274-8 pubmed publisher..Our results rationalize the contribution of both co-activator and core APC/C subunits to D-box recognition and provide a structural framework for understanding mechanisms of substrate recognition and catalysis by the APC/C. ..
- Hein J, Nilsson J. Stable MCC binding to the APC/C is required for a functional spindle assembly checkpoint. EMBO Rep. 2014;15:264-72 pubmed publisher..We thus show that stable MCC association with the APC/C is critical for a functional SAC. ..
- Zachariae W, Shevchenko A, Andrews P, Ciosk R, Galova M, Stark M, et al. Mass spectrometric analysis of the anaphase-promoting complex from yeast: identification of a subunit related to cullins. Science. 1998;279:1216-9 pubmed..Apc2p is similar to the cullin Cdc53p, which is a subunit of the ubiquitin-protein ligase complex SCFCdc4 required for the initiation of DNA replication. ..
- Kramer K, Fesquet D, Johnson A, Johnston L. Budding yeast RSI1/APC2, a novel gene necessary for initiation of anaphase, encodes an APC subunit. EMBO J. 1998;17:498-506 pubmed..In addition, like our rsi1/apc2 mutations, cdc23-1, encoding a known APC subunit, is also lethal with sic1Delta...
- Feng W, Bachant J, Collingwood D, Raghuraman M, Brewer B. Centromere replication timing determines different forms of genomic instability in Saccharomyces cerevisiae checkpoint mutants during replication stress. Genetics. 2009;183:1249-60 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight the importance of replicating yeast centromeres early and reveal different mechanisms of cell death due to differences in replication fork progression...
- Kuczera T, Bayram Ö, Sari F, Braus G, Irniger S. Dissection of mitotic functions of the yeast cyclin Clb2. Cell Cycle. 2010;9:2611-9 pubmed publisher..Clb2-Myc12 represents therefore the first version of Clb2 impaired in one specific mitotic function. We conclude that the major mitotic functions of this cyclin can be unequivocally dissected. ..
- Qin L, Guimarães D, Melesse M, Hall M. Substrate Recognition by the Cdh1 Destruction Box Receptor Is a General Requirement for APC/CCdh1-mediated Proteolysis. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:15564-74 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that binding to the D-box receptor may be a shared requirement for recognition and processing of all Cdh1 substrates. ..
- Rossio V, Michimoto T, Sasaki T, Ohbayashi I, Kikuchi Y, Yoshida S. Nuclear PP2A-Cdc55 prevents APC-Cdc20 activation during the spindle assembly checkpoint. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:4396-405 pubmed publisher..Because the Cdc55-binding proteins Zds1 and Zds2 inhibit both nuclear accumulation of Cdc55 and SAC activity, we propose that spatial control of PP2A by Zds1 family proteins is important for tight control of SAC and mitotic progression. ..
- Höckner S, Neumann Arnold L, Seufert W. Dual control by Cdk1 phosphorylation of the budding yeast APC/C ubiquitin ligase activator Cdh1. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:2198-212 pubmed publisher..Thus a Cdk-inhibited NLS goes along with Cdk-inhibited APC/C binding sites in yeast Cdh1 to relay the negative control by Cdk1 phosphorylation of the ubiquitin ligase APC/C-Cdh1. ..
- Krishnan V, Nirantar S, Crasta K, Cheng A, Surana U. DNA replication checkpoint prevents precocious chromosome segregation by regulating spindle behavior. Mol Cell. 2004;16:687-700 pubmed..Thus, the DNA replication checkpoint prevents precocious chromosome segregation, not by inhibiting entry into mitosis as widely believed, but by directly regulating spindle dynamics. ..
- Melloy P, Holloway S. Changes in the localization of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae anaphase-promoting complex upon microtubule depolymerization and spindle checkpoint activation. Genetics. 2004;167:1079-94 pubmed..In live cells, Cdc23-GFP localized to punctate nuclear spots surrounded by homogenous nuclear signal throughout the cell cycle...
- Calzada A, Sacristan M, Sanchez E, Bueno A. Cdc6 cooperates with Sic1 and Hct1 to inactivate mitotic cyclin-dependent kinases. Nature. 2001;412:355-8 pubmed..By contributing to mitotic exit and inactivation of CDKs, Cdc6 helps to create the conditions that are required for its subsequent role in the formation of pre-replicative complexes at origins of DNA replication. ..
- Page A, Aneliunas V, Lamb J, Hieter P. In vivo characterization of the nonessential budding yeast anaphase-promoting complex/cyclosome components Swm1p, Mnd2p and Apc9p. Genetics. 2005;170:1045-62 pubmed..Furthermore, the role of Apc9p in APC/C-dependent ubiquitination may be limited to the proteolysis of a select number of substrates. ..
- Torres M, Borchers C. Mitotic phosphorylation of the anaphase-promoting complex inhibitory subunit Mnd2 is necessary for efficient progression through meiosis i. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:17351-62 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that mitotic phosphorylation of Mnd2 is necessary for APC-mediated progression beyond the first meiotic nuclear division. ..
- Meyn M, Melloy P, Li J, Holloway S. The destruction box of the cyclin Clb2 binds the anaphase-promoting complex/cyclosome subunit Cdc23. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2002;407:189-95 pubmed..We have tested the D box of five mitotic cyclins for interaction with six APC/C subunits. The APC/C subunit Cdc23, but not five other subunits tested, interacted by two-hybrid analysis with the N terminus of wild-type Clb2...
- Jones A, Quimby B, Hood J, Ferrigno P, Keshava P, Silver P, et al. SAC3 may link nuclear protein export to cell cycle progression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:3224-9 pubmed..Our results also demonstrate that SAC3 interacts genetically with the nuclear protein export factors Crm1p/Xpo1p and Yrb2p. Taken together, these data indicate a link between nuclear protein export and transition through the cell cycle. ..
- Shpungin S, Liberzon A, Bangio H, Yona E, Katcoff D. Association of yeast SIN1 with the tetratrico peptide repeats of CDC23. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:8274-7 pubmed..Here we demonstrate that CDC23, a protein known to be involved in sister chromatid separation during mitosis, is able to directly interact with ..
- Yang X, Gregan J, Lindner K, Young H, Kearsey S. Nuclear distribution and chromatin association of DNA polymerase alpha-primase is affected by TEV protease cleavage of Cdc23 (Mcm10) in fission yeast. BMC Mol Biol. 2005;6:13 pubmedb>Cdc23/Mcm10 is required for the initiation and elongation steps of DNA replication but its biochemical function is unclear. Here, we probe its function using a novel approach in fission yeast, involving Cdc23 cleavage by the TEV protease...
- Camasses A, Bogdanova A, Shevchenko A, Zachariae W. The CCT chaperonin promotes activation of the anaphase-promoting complex through the generation of functional Cdc20. Mol Cell. 2003;12:87-100 pubmed..We propose that folding of the Cdc20 family of APC/C activators is an essential and evolutionary conserved function of the CCT chaperonin. ..
- Burton J, Solomon M. Hsl1p, a Swe1p inhibitor, is degraded via the anaphase-promoting complex. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:4614-25 pubmed..Hsl1p is stabilized by mutations in CDH1 and CDC23, both of which result in compromised APC activity...
- Buschhorn B, Petzold G, Galova M, Dube P, Kraft C, Herzog F, et al. Substrate binding on the APC/C occurs between the coactivator Cdh1 and the processivity factor Doc1. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2011;18:6-13 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that substrates are recruited to the APC/C by binding to a bipartite substrate receptor composed of a coactivator protein and Doc1. ..
- Irniger S, Baumer M, Braus G. Glucose and ras activity influence the ubiquitin ligases APC/C and SCF in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2000;154:1509-21 pubmed..We conclude that glucose and Ras proteins influence the APC/C and the SCF complex in an opposite manner. These ubiquitin ligases might represent novel targets for modulating cell division in response to growth conditions. ..
- Lamb J, Michaud W, Sikorski R, Hieter P. Cdc16p, Cdc23p and Cdc27p form a complex essential for mitosis. EMBO J. 1994;13:4321-8 pubmed..The conservation of at least two of the three proteins from yeast to man suggests that this protein complex is essential for mitosis in a wide range of eukaryotes. ..
- Irniger S, Piatti S, Michaelis C, Nasmyth K. Genes involved in sister chromatid separation are needed for B-type cyclin proteolysis in budding yeast. Cell. 1995;81:269-78 pubmed..Through the isolation of mutants, we have identified three essential yeast genes, CDC16, CDC23, and CSE1, which are required for proteolysis of the B-type cyclin CLB2 but not of other unstable proteins...