Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: CDC16
Description: anaphase promoting complex subunit CDC16
Alias: anaphase promoting complex subunit CDC16
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Zachariae W, Schwab M, Nasmyth K, Seufert W. Control of cyclin ubiquitination by CDK-regulated binding of Hct1 to the anaphase promoting complex. Science. 1998;282:1721-4 pubmed..The mutual inhibition between APC and CDKs explains how cells suppress mitotic CDK activity during G1 and then establish a period with elevated kinase activity from S phase until anaphase. ..
- Rudner A, Hardwick K, Murray A. Cdc28 activates exit from mitosis in budding yeast. J Cell Biol. 2000;149:1361-76 pubmed..The defects of CDC28-VF suggest that Cdc28 activity is required to induce the metaphase to anaphase transition and initiate the transition from anaphase to G1 in budding yeast...
- Anghileri P, Branduardi P, Sternieri F, Monti P, Visintin R, Bevilacqua A, et al. Chromosome separation and exit from mitosis in budding yeast: dependence on growth revealed by cAMP-mediated inhibition. Exp Cell Res. 1999;250:510-23 pubmed..the Cdc16p APC subunit, causing a preanaphase arrest, and conversely low PKA activity suppressed the lethality of cdc16-1 cells...
- Grossberger R, Gieffers C, Zachariae W, Podtelejnikov A, Schleiffer A, Nasmyth K, et al. Characterization of the DOC1/APC10 subunit of the yeast and the human anaphase-promoting complex. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:14500-7 pubmed..DOC domains may therefore be important for reactions catalyzed by several types of ubiquitin-protein ligases. ..
- Hwang L, Murray A. A novel yeast screen for mitotic arrest mutants identifies DOC1, a new gene involved in cyclin proteolysis. Mol Biol Cell. 1997;8:1877-87 pubmed..Most of these mutants lie in the CDC16, CDC23, and CDC27 genes, which have already been shown to play a role in cyclin proteolysis and encode components ..
- Carroll C, Enquist Newman M, Morgan D. The APC subunit Doc1 promotes recognition of the substrate destruction box. Curr Biol. 2005;15:11-8 pubmed..Doc1 contributes to recognition of the substrate destruction box by the APC. This function of Doc1 is necessary for efficient substrate proteolysis in vivo. ..
- Rudner A, Murray A. Phosphorylation by Cdc28 activates the Cdc20-dependent activity of the anaphase-promoting complex. J Cell Biol. 2000;149:1377-90 pubmed..Mutating putative Cdc28 phosphorylation sites in three components of the APC, Cdc16, Cdc23, and Cdc27, makes the APC resistant to phosphorylation both in vivo and in vitro...
- Schwickart M, Havlis J, Habermann B, Bogdanova A, Camasses A, Oelschlaegel T, et al. Swm1/Apc13 is an evolutionarily conserved subunit of the anaphase-promoting complex stabilizing the association of Cdc16 and Cdc27. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:3562-76 pubmed..Swm1/Apc13 promotes the stable association with the APC/C of the essential subunits Cdc16 and Cdc27...
- Camasses A, Bogdanova A, Shevchenko A, Zachariae W. The CCT chaperonin promotes activation of the anaphase-promoting complex through the generation of functional Cdc20. Mol Cell. 2003;12:87-100 pubmed..We propose that folding of the Cdc20 family of APC/C activators is an essential and evolutionary conserved function of the CCT chaperonin. ..
- Passmore L, Booth C, Venien Bryan C, Ludtke S, Fioretto C, Johnson L, et al. Structural analysis of the anaphase-promoting complex reveals multiple active sites and insights into polyubiquitylation. Mol Cell. 2005;20:855-66 pubmed..Our data suggest that multimerisation and/or the presence of multiple active sites facilitates the APC/C's ability to elongate polyubiquitin chains. ..
- Yamamoto A, Guacci V, Koshland D. Pds1p, an inhibitor of anaphase in budding yeast, plays a critical role in the APC and checkpoint pathway(s). J Cell Biol. 1996;133:99-110 pubmed..Therefore, in the DNA-damage checkpoint, Pds1p is required for the inhibition of cytokinesis and DNA replication as well as anaphase. The role of Pds1 protein in anaphase inhibition and general cell cycle regulation is discussed. ..
- Oelschlaegel T, Schwickart M, Matos J, Bogdanova A, Camasses A, Havlis J, et al. The yeast APC/C subunit Mnd2 prevents premature sister chromatid separation triggered by the meiosis-specific APC/C-Ama1. Cell. 2005;120:773-88 pubmed..In vitro, Mnd2 inhibits ubiquitination of Pds1 by APC/C-Ama1 but not by other APC/C holo-enzymes. We conclude that chromosome segregation in meiosis depends on the selective inhibition of a meiosis-specific form of the APC/C. ..
- Buschhorn B, Petzold G, Galova M, Dube P, Kraft C, Herzog F, et al. Substrate binding on the APC/C occurs between the coactivator Cdh1 and the processivity factor Doc1. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2011;18:6-13 pubmed publisher..We show that Doc1 interacts with Cdc27, Cdc16 and Apc1 and is located in the vicinity of the cullin-RING module Apc2-Apc11 in the inner cavity of the APC/C...
- Lamb J, Michaud W, Sikorski R, Hieter P. Cdc16p, Cdc23p and Cdc27p form a complex essential for mitosis. EMBO J. 1994;13:4321-8 pubmed..The conservation of at least two of the three proteins from yeast to man suggests that this protein complex is essential for mitosis in a wide range of eukaryotes. ..
- Moir D, Botstein D. Determination of the order of gene function in the yeast nuclear division pathway using cs and ts mutants. Genetics. 1982;100:565-77 pubmed..The data suggest that the nuclear branch of the overall cell-cycle pathway itself contains at least one branch. ..
- Kroll E, Hyland K, Hieter P, Li J. Establishing genetic interactions by a synthetic dosage lethality phenotype. Genetics. 1996;143:95-102 pubmed..ORC6 overexpression caused synthetic dosage lethality in combination with cdc2-1, cdc6-1, cdc14-1, cdc16-1 and cdc46-1...
- Heichman K, Roberts J. The yeast CDC16 and CDC27 genes restrict DNA replication to once per cell cycle. Cell. 1996;85:39-48 pubmedb>CDC16 and CDC27 were identified as genes in S. cerevisiae necessary to limit DNA replication to once per cell cycle...
- Juanes M, Queralt E, Bañó M, Igual J. Rot1 plays an antagonistic role to Clb2 in actin cytoskeleton dynamics throughout the cell cycle. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2390-401 pubmed..Several genetic interactions suggest a link between Rot1 and the ubiquitin-proteasome system and we show that the Clb2 cyclin is not properly degraded in rot1 cells. ..
- Wang Y, Shirogane T, Liu D, Harper J, Elledge S. Exit from exit: resetting the cell cycle through Amn1 inhibition of G protein signaling. Cell. 2003;112:697-709 pubmed..Thus, Amn1 is part of a daughter-specific switch that helps cells exit from mitotic exit and reset the cell cycle. ..
- Wickner R. Host function of MAK16: G1 arrest by a mak16 mutant of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1988;85:6007-11 pubmed..This region contains potential phosphorylation sites for "casein kinases," protein kinases specific for serine or threonine residues in an acidic environment. ..
- Leverson J, Joazeiro C, Page A, Huang H, Hieter P, Hunter T. The APC11 RING-H2 finger mediates E2-dependent ubiquitination. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:2315-25 pubmed..We suggest that Apc11p is responsible for recruiting E2s to the APC and for mediating the subsequent transfer of ubiquitin to APC substrates in vivo. ..
- Tan G, Magurno J, Cooper K. Ama1p-activated anaphase-promoting complex regulates the destruction of Cdc20p during meiosis II. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:315-26 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a mechanism to temporally down-regulate APC/C(Cdc20) activity as the cells complete meiosis II and form spores. ..
- Hein J, Nilsson J. Stable MCC binding to the APC/C is required for a functional spindle assembly checkpoint. EMBO Rep. 2014;15:264-72 pubmed publisher..We thus show that stable MCC association with the APC/C is critical for a functional SAC. ..
- Makhnevych T, Wong P, Pogoutse O, Vizeacoumar F, Greenblatt J, Emili A, et al. Hsp110 is required for spindle length control. J Cell Biol. 2012;198:623-36 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a model whereby the Hsp70-Hsp110 chaperone complex antagonizes Cin8 plus-end motility and prevents premature spindle elongation in S phase. ..
- Yu H, Peters J, King R, Page A, Hieter P, Kirschner M. Identification of a cullin homology region in a subunit of the anaphase-promoting complex. Science. 1998;279:1219-22 pubmedThe anaphase-promoting complex is composed of eight protein subunits, including BimE (APC1), CDC27 (APC3), CDC16 (APC6), and CDC23 (APC8)...
- Heichman K, Roberts J. CDC16 controls initiation at chromosome replication origins. Mol Cell. 1998;1:457-63 pubmed..Budding yeast with mutations in the CDC16 gene represent an exception to this model, because they rereplicate DNA despite being in a G2-like arrest with ..
- Boronat S, Campbell J. Mitotic Cdc6 stabilizes anaphase-promoting complex substrates by a partially Cdc28-independent mechanism, and this stabilization is suppressed by deletion of Cdc55. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:1158-71 pubmed..A specific role for CDC55 was supported by demonstrating that the lethality of Cdc6 ectopic expression in a cdc16-264 mutant is suppressed by the deletion of CDC55, that endogenous Cdc6p coimmunoprecipitates with the Cdc55 and ..
- Heo S, Tatebayashi K, Ikeda H. The budding yeast cohesin gene SCC1/MCD1/RHC21 genetically interacts with PKA, CDK and APC. Curr Genet. 1999;36:329-38 pubmed..Secondly, PDE2 suppressed the temperature sensitivity of the cdc16-1 mutant...
- Bachant J, Alcasabas A, Blat Y, Kleckner N, Elledge S. The SUMO-1 isopeptidase Smt4 is linked to centromeric cohesion through SUMO-1 modification of DNA topoisomerase II. Mol Cell. 2002;9:1169-82 pubmed..These results suggest Top2 modification by Smt3/SUMO-1 regulates a component of chromatin structure or topology required for centromeric cohesion...
- da Fonseca P, Kong E, Zhang Z, Schreiber A, Williams M, Morris E, et al. Structures of APC/C(Cdh1) with substrates identify Cdh1 and Apc10 as the D-box co-receptor. Nature. 2011;470:274-8 pubmed publisher..Our results rationalize the contribution of both co-activator and core APC/C subunits to D-box recognition and provide a structural framework for understanding mechanisms of substrate recognition and catalysis by the APC/C. ..
- Nagai M, Ushimaru T. Cdh1 is an antagonist of the spindle assembly checkpoint. Cell Signal. 2014;26:2217-22 pubmed publisher..Additionally, Cdh1 mediates Cdc20 degradation in metaphase, promoting formation of the APC/C-Cdh1. These results indicate that Cdh1 opposes the SAC and promotes anaphase transition. ..
- Zachariae W, Shevchenko A, Andrews P, Ciosk R, Galova M, Stark M, et al. Mass spectrometric analysis of the anaphase-promoting complex from yeast: identification of a subunit related to cullins. Science. 1998;279:1216-9 pubmed..Apc2p is similar to the cullin Cdc53p, which is a subunit of the ubiquitin-protein ligase complex SCFCdc4 required for the initiation of DNA replication. ..
- Torres M, Borchers C. Mitotic phosphorylation of the anaphase-promoting complex inhibitory subunit Mnd2 is necessary for efficient progression through meiosis i. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:17351-62 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that mitotic phosphorylation of Mnd2 is necessary for APC-mediated progression beyond the first meiotic nuclear division. ..
- Rossio V, Michimoto T, Sasaki T, Ohbayashi I, Kikuchi Y, Yoshida S. Nuclear PP2A-Cdc55 prevents APC-Cdc20 activation during the spindle assembly checkpoint. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:4396-405 pubmed publisher..Because the Cdc55-binding proteins Zds1 and Zds2 inhibit both nuclear accumulation of Cdc55 and SAC activity, we propose that spatial control of PP2A by Zds1 family proteins is important for tight control of SAC and mitotic progression. ..
- Lai L, Morabito L, Holloway S. A novel yeast mutant that is defective in regulation of the Anaphase-Promoting Complex by the spindle damage checkpoint. Mol Genet Genomics. 2003;270:156-64 pubmed..We have identified a novel allele of a gene for an APC/C subunit, cdc16-183, in S. cerevisiae...
- Chiroli E, Rancati G, Catusi I, Lucchini G, Piatti S. Cdc14 inhibition by the spindle assembly checkpoint prevents unscheduled centrosome separation in budding yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2626-37 pubmed publisher..We propose that, besides inhibiting sister chromatid separation, the SAC preserves the accurate transmission of chromosomes also by preventing SPBs to migrate far apart until the conditions to assemble a bipolar spindle are satisfied. ..
- Foster S, Morgan D. The APC/C subunit Mnd2/Apc15 promotes Cdc20 autoubiquitination and spindle assembly checkpoint inactivation. Mol Cell. 2012;47:921-32 pubmed publisher..Specific inhibition of SAC-dependent ubiquitination, by deletion of Mnd2, allowed establishment of a SAC arrest but delayed release from the arrest, suggesting that Cdc20 ubiquitination is also required for SAC inactivation. ..
- Blethrow J, Tang C, Deng C, Krutchinsky A. Modular mass spectrometric tool for analysis of composition and phosphorylation of protein complexes. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e358 pubmed
- Page A, Aneliunas V, Lamb J, Hieter P. In vivo characterization of the nonessential budding yeast anaphase-promoting complex/cyclosome components Swm1p, Mnd2p and Apc9p. Genetics. 2005;170:1045-62 pubmed..Furthermore, the role of Apc9p in APC/C-dependent ubiquitination may be limited to the proteolysis of a select number of substrates. ..
- Liu C, van Dyk D, Choe V, Yan J, Majumder S, Costanzo M, et al. Ubiquitin ligase Ufd2 is required for efficient degradation of Mps1 kinase. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:43660-7 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that Ufd2-mediated Mps1 degradation is conserved in humans. Our results underscore the significance of Ufd2 in proteolysis and further suggest that Ufd2-like enzymes regulate far more substrates than previously envisioned...