Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: BUB1
Description: protein kinase BUB1
Alias: protein kinase BUB1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Hyland K, Kingsbury J, Koshland D, Hieter P. Ctf19p: A novel kinetochore protein in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and a potential link between the kinetochore and mitotic spindle. J Cell Biol. 1999;145:15-28 pubmed..We propose that Ctf19p is part of a macromolecular kinetochore complex, which may function as a link between the kinetochore and the mitotic spindle. ..
- Wang Y, Burke D. Checkpoint genes required to delay cell division in response to nocodazole respond to impaired kinetochore function in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:6838-44 pubmed..of nocodazole delay cell division under the control of the previously identified mitotic checkpoint genes BUB1, BUB3, MAD1, and MAD2 and independently of BUB2...
- Riedel C, Katis V, Katou Y, Mori S, Itoh T, Helmhart W, et al. Protein phosphatase 2A protects centromeric sister chromatid cohesion during meiosis I. Nature. 2006;441:53-61 pubmed..Our data are consistent with the notion that efficient cleavage of Rec8 requires phosphorylation of cohesin and that this is blocked by PP2A at meiosis I centromeres. ..
- Warren C, Brady D, Johnston R, Hanna J, Hardwick K, Spencer F. Distinct chromosome segregation roles for spindle checkpoint proteins. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:3029-41 pubmed..Loss of Bub1 or Bub3 protein elicits the largest effect. Analysis of Bub1p reveals the presence of two molecular functions...
- Roberts B, Farr K, Hoyt M. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae checkpoint gene BUB1 encodes a novel protein kinase. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:8282-91 pubmed..A. Hoyt, L. Totis, and B. T. Roberts, Cell 66:507-517, 1991). Here we present the characterization of the BUB1 gene and its product...
- Brady D, Hardwick K. Complex formation between Mad1p, Bub1p and Bub3p is crucial for spindle checkpoint function. Curr Biol. 2000;10:675-8 pubmed..Mutation of this motif abolishes checkpoint function, indicating that formation of the Mad1p-Bub1p-Bub3p complex is a crucial step in the spindle checkpoint mechanism. ..
- Storchova Z, Becker J, Talarek N, Kögelsberger S, Pellman D. Bub1, Sgo1, and Mps1 mediate a distinct pathway for chromosome biorientation in budding yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:1473-85 pubmed publisherThe conserved mitotic kinase Bub1 performs multiple functions that are only partially characterized...
- Kitagawa K, Abdulle R, Bansal P, Cagney G, Fields S, Hieter P. Requirement of Skp1-Bub1 interaction for kinetochore-mediated activation of the spindle checkpoint. Mol Cell. 2003;11:1201-13 pubmed..We report biochemical evidence that Bub1, a component of the spindle checkpoint, associates with centromere (CEN) DNA via Skp1, a core kinetochore component ..
- Katis V, Galova M, Rabitsch K, Gregan J, Nasmyth K. Maintenance of cohesin at centromeres after meiosis I in budding yeast requires a kinetochore-associated protein related to MEI-S332. Curr Biol. 2004;14:560-72 pubmed
- Jin F, Bokros M, Wang Y. Premature Silencing of the Spindle Assembly Checkpoint Is Prevented by the Bub1-H2A-Sgo1-PP2A Axis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2017;205:1169-1178 pubmed publisher..b>Bub1 kinase is one of the SAC components, and Bub1-dependent H2A phosphorylation triggers centromere recruitment of Sgo1 ..
- Alexandru G, Zachariae W, Schleiffer A, Nasmyth K. Sister chromatid separation and chromosome re-duplication are regulated by different mechanisms in response to spindle damage. EMBO J. 1999;18:2707-21 pubmed..Blocking APCCdh1-mediated Clb2 proteolysis and chromosome re-duplication does not require Mad2 but a different protein, Bub2. Our data imply that Mad1, Mad2, Mad3 and Bub1 regulate APCCdc20, whereas Bub2 regulates APCCdh1.
- McLellan J, O Neil N, Tarailo S, Stoepel J, Bryan J, Rose A, et al. Synthetic lethal genetic interactions that decrease somatic cell proliferation in Caenorhabditis elegans identify the alternative RFC CTF18 as a candidate cancer drug target. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:5306-13 pubmed publisher..elegans. Furthermore, the C. elegans assay system will contribute to our knowledge of genetic interactions in a multicellular animal and is a powerful approach to identify new cancer therapeutic targets. ..
- Ikui A, Cross F. Specific genetic interactions between spindle assembly checkpoint proteins and B-Type cyclins in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2009;183:51-61 pubmed publisher..Deletion of the spindle checkpoint genes BUB1 and BUB3 caused synthetic lethality with clb5...
- Goto G, Mishra A, Abdulle R, Slaughter C, Kitagawa K. Bub1-mediated adaptation of the spindle checkpoint. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1001282 pubmed publisher..Our results strongly suggest that Cdc28-mediated phosphorylation of Bub1 at T566 plays an important role for the degradation of Bub1 in anaphase, and the phosphorylation is required for ..
- Liu C, van Dyk D, Choe V, Yan J, Majumder S, Costanzo M, et al. Ubiquitin ligase Ufd2 is required for efficient degradation of Mps1 kinase. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:43660-7 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that Ufd2-mediated Mps1 degradation is conserved in humans. Our results underscore the significance of Ufd2 in proteolysis and further suggest that Ufd2-like enzymes regulate far more substrates than previously envisioned...
- Mora Santos M, Hervás Aguilar A, Sewart K, Lancaster T, Meadows J, Millar J. Bub3-Bub1 Binding to Spc7/KNL1 Toggles the Spindle Checkpoint Switch by Licensing the Interaction of Bub1 with Mad1-Mad2. Curr Biol. 2016;26:2642-2650 pubmed publisher..Spindle checkpoint proteins, including Mad1, Mad2, Mad3 (BubR1), Bub1, Bub3, and Mph1 (Mps1), are recruited to unattached and/or tensionless kinetochores...
- Holbein S, Wengi A, Decourty L, Freimoser F, Jacquier A, Dichtl B. Cordycepin interferes with 3' end formation in yeast independently of its potential to terminate RNA chain elongation. RNA. 2009;15:837-49 pubmed publisher..Finally, chemical-genetic profiling revealed genome-wide pathways linked to cordycepin activity and identified novel genes involved in poly(A) homeostasis. ..
- Gibson D, Bell S, Aparicio O. Cell cycle execution point analysis of ORC function and characterization of the checkpoint response to ORC inactivation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genes Cells. 2006;11:557-73 pubmed..We discuss the potential significance of these overlapping checkpoints and the impact of our findings on previously postulated role(s) of ORCs in other cell cycle functions. ..
- Yong Gonzalez V, Wang B, Butylin P, Ouspenski I, Strunnikov A. Condensin function at centromere chromatin facilitates proper kinetochore tension and ensures correct mitotic segregation of sister chromatids. Genes Cells. 2007;12:1075-90 pubmed..These findings show that, in addition to its essential role in rDNA segregation, condensin mediates segregation of the whole genome by maintaining the centromere structure in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. ..
- Guenette S, Magendantz M, Solomon F. Suppression of a conditional mutation in alpha-tubulin by overexpression of two checkpoint genes. J Cell Sci. 1995;108 ( Pt 3):1195-204 pubmed..Overexpression of BUB1, which interacts genetically with BUB3 and which is involved in the same checkpoint pathway, also rescues the cold ..
- Aravamudhan P, Chen R, Roy B, Sim J, Joglekar A. Dual mechanisms regulate the recruitment of spindle assembly checkpoint proteins to the budding yeast kinetochore. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:3405-3417 pubmed..Spc105 then recruits the Bub3-Bub1 and Mad1-Mad2 complexes, which produce the inhibitory signal that arrests cell division...
- Primorac I, Weir J, Chiroli E, Gross F, Hoffmann I, van Gerwen S, et al. Bub3 reads phosphorylated MELT repeats to promote spindle assembly checkpoint signaling. elife. 2013;2:e01030 pubmed publisher..Mutations targeting the Bub3 interface prevent kinetochore recruitment of the SAC kinase Bub1. Crucially, they also cause a checkpoint defect, showing that recognition of phosphorylated targets by Bub3 is ..
- DeLillo N, Romero C, Lin H, Vancura A. Genetic evidence for a role of phospholipase C at the budding yeast kinetochore. Mol Genet Genomics. 2003;269:261-70 pubmed..However, plc1Delta cells require a functional BUB1/BUB3-dependent spindle checkpoint for viability...
- Kerscher O, Crotti L, Basrai M. Recognizing chromosomes in trouble: association of the spindle checkpoint protein Bub3p with altered kinetochores and a unique defective centromere. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:6406-18 pubmed..Our studies represent the first comprehensive molecular analysis of spindle checkpoint protein function in the context of a wild-type or defective kinetochore(s) by use of live-cell imaging and the ChIP technique in S. cerevisiae. ..
- McCulley J, Petes T. Chromosome rearrangements and aneuploidy in yeast strains lacking both Tel1p and Mec1p reflect deficiencies in two different mechanisms. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:11465-70 pubmed publisher..Although we found the aneuploidy in the tel1 mec1 diploids mimicked that observed in bub1 diploids, the tel1 mec1 diploids had a functional spindle assembly checkpoint...
- Myung K, Smith S, Kolodner R. Mitotic checkpoint function in the formation of gross chromosomal rearrangements in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:15980-5 pubmed..These data suggest that functional mitotic checkpoints can play a role in the formation of genome rearrangements. ..
- Chiroli E, Rancati G, Catusi I, Lucchini G, Piatti S. Cdc14 inhibition by the spindle assembly checkpoint prevents unscheduled centrosome separation in budding yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2626-37 pubmed publisher..We propose that, besides inhibiting sister chromatid separation, the SAC preserves the accurate transmission of chromosomes also by preventing SPBs to migrate far apart until the conditions to assemble a bipolar spindle are satisfied. ..
- Abruzzi K, Magendantz M, Solomon F. An alpha-tubulin mutant demonstrates distinguishable functions among the spindle assembly checkpoint genes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2002;161:983-94 pubmed..The cold sensitivity of tub1-729 is suppressed by extra copies of a subset of the mitotic checkpoint genes BUB1, BUB3, and MPS1, but not MAD1, MAD2, and MAD3...
- Campbell C, Desai A. Tension sensing by Aurora B kinase is independent of survivin-based centromere localization. Nature. 2013;497:118-21 pubmed publisher..suppresses the deletion phenotypes of the inner-centromere-targeting proteins survivin (Bir1), borealin (Nbl1), Bub1 and Sgo1 (ref. 6). Unlike wild-type Sli15, truncated Sli15 localizes to pre-anaphase spindle microtubules...
- London N, Biggins S. Mad1 kinetochore recruitment by Mps1-mediated phosphorylation of Bub1 signals the spindle checkpoint. Genes Dev. 2014;28:140-52 pubmed publisher..that Mad1 kinetochore association in budding yeast is mediated by phosphorylation of a region within the Bub1 checkpoint protein by the conserved protein kinase Mps1...
- Jessulat M, Malty R, Nguyen Tran D, Deineko V, Aoki H, Vlasblom J, et al. Spindle Checkpoint Factors Bub1 and Bub2 Promote DNA Double-Strand Break Repair by Nonhomologous End Joining. Mol Cell Biol. 2015;35:2448-63 pubmed publisher..newly identified genes associated with NHEJ deficiency upon disruption are two spindle assembly checkpoint kinases, Bub1 and Bub2...
- Cheeseman I, Enquist Newman M, MULLER REICHERT T, Drubin D, Barnes G. Mitotic spindle integrity and kinetochore function linked by the Duo1p/Dam1p complex. J Cell Biol. 2001;152:197-212 pubmed..In addition, Duo1p and Dam1p localize to kinetochores in chromosome spreads, suggesting that this complex may serve as a link between the kinetochore and the mitotic spindle. ..
- Wilson D, Cerna D, Chew E. The 1.1-angstrom structure of the spindle checkpoint protein Bub3p reveals functional regions. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:13944-51 pubmed
- Bolanos Garcia V, Kiyomitsu T, D Arcy S, Chirgadze D, Grossmann J, Matak Vinkovic D, et al. The crystal structure of the N-terminal region of BUB1 provides insight into the mechanism of BUB1 recruitment to kinetochores. Structure. 2009;17:105-16 pubmed publisherThe interaction of the central mitotic checkpoint component BUB1 with the mitotic kinetochore protein Blinkin is required for the kinetochore localization and function of BUB1 in the mitotic spindle assembly checkpoint, the regulatory ..
- Haase J, Stephens A, Verdaasdonk J, Yeh E, Bloom K. Bub1 kinase and Sgo1 modulate pericentric chromatin in response to altered microtubule dynamics. Curr Biol. 2012;22:471-81 pubmed publisher..Components of the SAC (Bub1) phosphorylate histone H2A (S121) and recruit the protector of cohesin, Shugoshin (Sgo1), to the inner centromere...
- Enquist Newman M, Cheeseman I, Van Goor D, Drubin D, Meluh P, Barnes G. Dad1p, third component of the Duo1p/Dam1p complex involved in kinetochore function and mitotic spindle integrity. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:2601-13 pubmed..In addition, dad1-1 mutants undergo chromosome mis-segregation at the restrictive temperature, resulting in a dramatic decrease in viability. ..
- Schibler A, Koutelou E, Tomida J, Wilson Pham M, Wang L, Lu Y, et al. Histone H3K4 methylation regulates deactivation of the spindle assembly checkpoint through direct binding of Mad2. Genes Dev. 2016;30:1187-97 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data indicate that interactions between Mad2 and H3K4 regulate resolution of the SAC by limiting closed Mad2 availability for Cdc20 inhibition. ..
- Hein J, Nilsson J. Stable MCC binding to the APC/C is required for a functional spindle assembly checkpoint. EMBO Rep. 2014;15:264-72 pubmed publisher..We thus show that stable MCC association with the APC/C is critical for a functional SAC. ..