Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: BRO1
Alias: ASI6, LPF2, NPI3, VPS31, Bro1p
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Tang S, Buchkovich N, Henne W, Banjade S, Kim Y, Emr S. ESCRT-III activation by parallel action of ESCRT-I/II and ESCRT-0/Bro1 during MVB biogenesis. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..We characterize novel mutations in ESCRT-III Snf7 that trigger activation, and identify a novel role of Bro1, the yeast ALIX ortholog, in Snf7 assembly...
- Sciskala B, Kölling R. Interaction maps of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae ESCRT-III protein Snf7. Eukaryot Cell. 2013;12:1538-46 pubmed publisher..We also demonstrate for the first time that the ALIX/Bro1 homologue Rim20 binds to the ?6 helix of Snf7...
- Johnson N, West M, Odorizzi G. Regulation of yeast ESCRT-III membrane scission activity by the Doa4 ubiquitin hydrolase. Mol Biol Cell. 2017;28:661-672 pubmed publisher..Thus our results also propose a mechanism to prevent the onset of ILV cargo deubiquitination at the initiation of ESCRT-III complex assembly. ..
- Nickas M, Yaffe M. BRO1, a novel gene that interacts with components of the Pkc1p-mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:2585-93 pubmedYeast cells with mutations in BRO1 display phenotypes similar to those caused by deletion of BCK1, a gene encoding a MEK kinase that functions in a mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway mediating maintenance of cell integrity...
- Waite A, Shou W. Adaptation to a new environment allows cooperators to purge cheaters stochastically. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:19079-86 pubmed publisher..We speculate that adaptation to changing environments may contribute to the persistence of cooperative systems before the appearance of more sophisticated mechanisms of cheater control. ..
- Kallay L, Brett C, Tukaye D, Wemmer M, Chyou A, Odorizzi G, et al. Endosomal Na+ (K+)/H+ exchanger Nhx1/Vps44 functions independently and downstream of multivesicular body formation. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:44067-77 pubmed publisher..Select ESCRT mutants (vps36?, vps20?, snf7?, and bro1?) with defects in cargo packaging and intralumenal vesicle formation shared multiple growth phenotypes with nhx1?...
- Vajjhala P, Catchpoole E, Nguyen C, Kistler C, Munn A. Vps4 regulates a subset of protein interactions at the multivesicular endosome. FEBS J. 2007;274:1894-907 pubmed..We demonstrate that Vps4 interacts directly with Vps2 and Bro1. We also show that a subset of Vps4 interactions is regulated by ATP hydrolysis, and one interaction is regulated ..
- Boysen J, Subramanian S, Mitchell A. Intervention of Bro1 in pH-responsive Rim20 localization in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2010;9:532-8 pubmed publisherYeast cells contain two Bro1 domain proteins: Bro1, which is required for endosomal trafficking, and Rim20, which is required for the response to the external pH via the Rim101 pathway...
- Richter C, West M, Odorizzi G. Doa4 function in ILV budding is restricted through its interaction with the Vps20 subunit of ESCRT-III. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:1881-90 pubmed publisher..localization of Doa4 but enhances the defect in ILV cargo protein deubiquitination observed in cells lacking Bro1, which is an ESCRT-III effector protein that stimulates Doa4 catalytic activity...
- Kimura Y, Kawawaki J, Kakiyama Y, Shimoda A, Tanaka K. The ESCRT-III adaptor protein Bro1 controls functions of regulator for free ubiquitin chains 1 (Rfu1) in ubiquitin homeostasis. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:21760-9 pubmed publisher..We show that Bro1, a member of the class E vacuolar protein sorting proteins that recruits Doa4 to endosomes and stimulates Doa4 ..
- Kimura Y, Tanigawa M, Kawawaki J, Takagi K, Mizushima T, Maeda T, et al. Conserved Mode of Interaction between Yeast Bro1 Family V Domains and YP(X)nL Motif-Containing Target Proteins. Eukaryot Cell. 2015;14:976-82 pubmed publisherYeast Bro1 and Rim20 belong to a family of proteins which possess a common architecture of Bro1 and V domains...
- Rothfels K, Tanny J, Molnár E, Friesen H, Commisso C, Segall J. Components of the ESCRT pathway, DFG16, and YGR122w are required for Rim101 to act as a corepressor with Nrg1 at the negative regulatory element of the DIT1 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:6772-88 pubmed..Interestingly, Rim101 was processed in bro1 and doa4 strains but was unable to mediate efficient repression.
- Eguez L, Chung Y, Kuchibhatla A, Paidhungat M, Garrett S. Yeast Mn2+ transporter, Smf1p, is regulated by ubiquitin-dependent vacuolar protein sorting. Genetics. 2004;167:107-17 pubmed..Because Smf1p is ubiquitinated in vivo, we propose that Smf1p is targeted to the vacuole for degradation by ubiquitination-dependent protein sorting. ..
- Springael J, Nikko E, Andre B, Marini A. Yeast Npi3/Bro1 is involved in ubiquitin-dependent control of permease trafficking. FEBS Lett. 2002;517:103-9 pubmed..Here we report that yet another protein, Npi3, is involved in the regulation of Gap1 trafficking...
- Weiss P, Huppert S, Kölling R. Analysis of the dual function of the ESCRT-III protein Snf7 in endocytic trafficking and in gene expression. Biochem J. 2009;424:89-97 pubmed publisher..subunits Vps20 and Vps24 were strongly increased by the mutations, whereas the interactions with proteins Vps4 and Bro1, acting downstream of ESCRT-III, were reduced...
- Wemmer M, Azmi I, West M, Davies B, Katzmann D, Odorizzi G. Bro1 binding to Snf7 regulates ESCRT-III membrane scission activity in yeast. J Cell Biol. 2011;192:295-306 pubmed publisher..The Snf7 subunit of ESCRT-III in yeast binds directly to an auxiliary protein, Bro1. Like ESCRT-III, Bro1 is required for the formation of intralumenal vesicles at endosomes, but its role in membrane ..
- Kimura Y, Yashiroda H, Kudo T, Koitabashi S, Murata S, Kakizuka A, et al. An inhibitor of a deubiquitinating enzyme regulates ubiquitin homeostasis. Cell. 2009;137:549-59 pubmed publisher..We propose that free ubiquitin chains function as a ubiquitin reservoir that allows maintenance of monomeric ubiquitins at adequate levels under normal conditions and rapid supply for substrate conjugation under stress conditions. ..
- Heo J, Livnat Levanon N, Taylor E, Jones K, Dephoure N, Ring J, et al. A stress-responsive system for mitochondrial protein degradation. Mol Cell. 2010;40:465-80 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that Vms1 is a required component of an evolutionarily conserved system for mitochondrial protein degradation, which is necessary to maintain mitochondrial, cellular, and organismal viability. ..
- Rubio Texeira M, Van Zeebroeck G, Thevelein J. Peptides induce persistent signaling from endosomes by a nutrient transceptor. Nat Chem Biol. 2012;8:400-8 pubmed publisher..Hence, this work has identified specific dipeptides that cause enhanced proton influx through the Gap1 symporter, resulting in its defective vacuolar sorting, and independently transform it into a persistently signaling transceptor. ..
- Erpapazoglou Z, Dhaoui M, Pantazopoulou M, Giordano F, Mari M, Leon S, et al. A dual role for K63-linked ubiquitin chains in multivesicular body biogenesis and cargo sorting. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:2170-83 pubmed publisher..A failure to generate K63Ub chains in yeast leads to an MVB ultrastructure alteration. Our work thus unravels a double function of K63Ub chains in cargo sorting and MVB biogenesis. ..
- Vajjhala P, Nguyen C, Landsberg M, Kistler C, Gan A, King G, et al. The Vps4 C-terminal helix is a critical determinant for assembly and ATPase activity and has elements conserved in other members of the meiotic clade of AAA ATPases. FEBS J. 2008;275:1427-49 pubmed publisher..We propose that Vps4 SRH function requires an intact C-terminal helix. Co-evolution of a distinct Vps4 SRH and C-terminal helix in meiotic clade AAA ATPases supports this possibility. ..
- Pashkova N, Gakhar L, Winistorfer S, Sunshine A, Rich M, Dunham M, et al. The yeast Alix homolog Bro1 functions as a ubiquitin receptor for protein sorting into multivesicular endosomes. Dev Cell. 2013;25:520-33 pubmed publisher..mediated by the Endosomal Sorting Complex Required for Transport (ESCRT) apparatus and accessory proteins such as Bro1, which recruits the deubiquitinating enzyme Doa4 to remove ubiquitin from cargo...