Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: BRF1
Description: transcription factor TFIIIB subunit BRF1
Alias: PCF4, TDS4, transcription factor TFIIIB subunit BRF1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Roberts S, Miller S, Lane W, Lee S, Hahn S. Cloning and functional characterization of the gene encoding the TFIIIB90 subunit of RNA polymerase III transcription factor TFIIIB. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:14903-9 pubmed..factor TFIIIB is composed of three subunits; the TATA-binding protein (TBP)1, the TFIIB-related factor (BRF1), and a third factor termed TFIIIB90 or B"...
- Moir R, Puglia K, Willis I. Interactions between the tetratricopeptide repeat-containing transcription factor TFIIIC131 and its ligand, TFIIIB70. Evidence for a conformational change in the complex. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:26591-8 pubmed..A more modest monovalent ion-dependent CD difference was observed in mixtures of TFIIIC131-(1-580) and TFIIIB70, suggesting that formation of the binary complex may proceed with the acquisition of alpha-helicity. ..
- Liao Y, Willis I, Moir R. The Brf1 and Bdp1 subunits of transcription factor TFIIIB bind to overlapping sites in the tetratricopeptide repeats of Tfc4. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:44467-74 pubmed..onto DNA through interactions involving the Tfc4 subunit of the assembly factor TFIIIC and two subunits of TFIIIB, Brf1 and Bdp1...
- Andrau J, Sentenac A, Werner M. Mutagenesis of yeast TFIIIB70 reveals C-terminal residues critical for interaction with TBP and C34. J Mol Biol. 1999;288:511-20 pubmed..TFIIIC.DNA complexes and affected in vitro transcription of the SUP4 tRNA gene. Our results underscore the important role of region II of TFIIIB70 in pre-initiation as well as transcription complex assembly via C34 and TBP binding. ..
- Colbert T, Lee S, Schimmack G, Hahn S. Architecture of protein and DNA contacts within the TFIIIB-DNA complex. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:1682-91 pubmed..The positions of TBP mutations which are defective in binding BRF suggest that BRF binds to the top and N-terminal leg of TBP. One mutation on the N-terminal leg of TBP specifically affects the binding of the B" subunit. ..
- Buratowski S, Zhou H. A suppressor of TBP mutations encodes an RNA polymerase III transcription factor with homology to TFIIB. Cell. 1992;71:221-30 pubmedThe TDS4 gene of S. cerevisiae was isolated as an allele-specific high copy suppressor of mutations within the basic region of the TATA-binding protein (TBP). The gene is essential for viability and encodes a 596 aa protein...
- Huet J, Conesa C, Carles C, Sentenac A. A cryptic DNA binding domain at the COOH terminus of TFIIIB70 affects formation, stability, and function of preinitiation complexes. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:18341-9 pubmed..TFIIIB contains TATA-binding protein (TBP), TFIIIB90/B", and TFIIIB70/Brf1, which is homologous to TFIIB...
- Poon D, Weil P. Immunopurification of yeast TATA-binding protein and associated factors. Presence of transcription factor IIIB transcriptional activity. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:15325-8 pubmed..Immunoblot analysis revealed that one of these TAFs, TAF70, corresponds to BRF1/TDS4/PCF4, a subunit of transcription factor (TF) IIIB...
- Khoo B, Brophy B, Jackson S. Conserved functional domains of the RNA polymerase III general transcription factor BRF. Genes Dev. 1994;8:2879-90 pubmed..These observations provide insights into the roles performed by BRF in Pol III transcription complex assembly. ..
- Ghavidel A, Schultz M. TATA binding protein-associated CK2 transduces DNA damage signals to the RNA polymerase III transcriptional machinery. Cell. 2001;106:575-84 pubmed..Therefore, CK2 is the terminal effector in a signaling pathway that represses pol III transcription when genome integrity is compromised. ..
- Kruppa M, Moir R, Kolodrubetz D, Willis I. Nhp6, an HMG1 protein, functions in SNR6 transcription by RNA polymerase III in S. cerevisiae. Mol Cell. 2001;7:309-18 pubmed..Overexpression of U6 snRNA or Brf1, a limiting component of TFIIIB, and an activating mutation (PCF1-1) in TFIIIC were each found to suppress the nhp6 ..
- Sanders S, Weil P. Identification of two novel TAF subunits of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae TFIID complex. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:13895-900 pubmed..TAF complexes. The significance of these results in terms of TFIID structure, function, and organization is discussed. ..
- Ferri M, Peyroche G, Siaut M, Lefebvre O, Carles C, Conesa C, et al. A novel subunit of yeast RNA polymerase III interacts with the TFIIB-related domain of TFIIIB70. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:488-95 pubmed..The data indicate that C17 is a novel specific subunit of Pol III which participates together with C34 in the recruitment of Pol III by the preinitiation complex. ..
- Flores A, Briand J, Gadal O, Andrau J, Rubbi L, Van Mullem V, et al. A protein-protein interaction map of yeast RNA polymerase III. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:7815-20 pubmed..Together with parallel interaction studies based on dosage-dependent suppression of conditional mutants, our data suggest a model of the pol III preinitiation complex. ..
- Saida F. Structural characterization of the interaction between TFIIIB components Bdp1 and Brf1. Biochemistry. 2008;47:13197-206 pubmed publisherTranscription factor TFIIIB plays key roles in transcription by RNA polymerase III. Its three components (TBP, Brf1, and Bdp1) participate in crucial molecular events that include RNA polymerase recruitment, formation of the open ..
- Pratt Hyatt M, Pai D, Haeusler R, Wozniak G, Good P, Miller E, et al. Mod5 protein binds to tRNA gene complexes and affects local transcriptional silencing. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:E3081-9 pubmed publisher..These results are discussed in light of recent results showing that silencing near tRNA genes also requires chromatin modification...
- Kassavetis G, Driscoll R, Geiduschek E. Mapping the principal interaction site of the Brf1 and Bdp1 subunits of Saccharomyces cerevisiae TFIIIB. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:14321-9 pubmedThe Brf1 subunit of the central RNA polymerase (pol) III transcription initiation factor TFIIIB is bipartite; its N-terminal TFIIB-related half is principally responsible for recruiting pol III to the promoter and for promoter opening ..
- Khoo S, Wu C, Lin Y, Lee J, Chen H. Mapping the protein interaction network for TFIIB-related factor Brf1 in the RNA polymerase III preinitiation complex. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:551-9 pubmed publisherTFIIB-related factor Brf1 is essential for RNA polymerase (Pol) III recruitment and open-promoter formation in transcription initiation...
- Ishiguro A, Kassavetis G. A gene-specific effect of an internal deletion in the Bdp1 subunit of the RNA polymerase III transcription initiation factor TFIIIB. FEBS Lett. 2003;548:33-6 pubmed..It is shown that TFIIIC-dependent assembly of TFIIIB on the RPR1 promoter is specifically sensitive to this Bdp1 deletion, leading to gene-specifically defective single-round and multiple-round transcription. ..
- Kassavetis G, Bardeleben C, Kumar A, Ramirez E, Geiduschek E. Domains of the Brf component of RNA polymerase III transcription factor IIIB (TFIIIB): functions in assembly of TFIIIB-DNA complexes and recruitment of RNA polymerase to the promoter. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:5299-306 pubmed..These findings suggest a functional complementarity and reciprocity between the Brf and B" components of TFIIIB. ..
- Ishiguro A, Kassavetis G, Geiduschek E. Essential roles of Bdp1, a subunit of RNA polymerase III initiation factor TFIIIB, in transcription and tRNA processing. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:3264-75 pubmed..encodes a subunit of RNA polymerase III (Pol III) transcription factor (TFIIIB); TATA box binding protein (TBP) and Brf1 are the other subunits of this three-protein complex...
- Kassavetis G, Letts G, Geiduschek E. The RNA polymerase III transcription initiation factor TFIIIB participates in two steps of promoter opening. EMBO J. 2001;20:2823-34 pubmed..Removing an N-terminal domain of Brf interferes with downstream propagation of the transcription bubble to and beyond the transcriptional start site. ..
- Moir R, Puglia K, Willis I. A gain-of-function mutation in the second tetratricopeptide repeat of TFIIIC131 relieves autoinhibition of Brf1 binding. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:6131-41 pubmed..between the tetratricopeptide repeat (TPR)-containing subunit of TFIIIC, TFIIIC131, and the TFIIB-related factor Brf1 represents a limiting step in the assembly of the RNA polymerase III (pol III) initiation factor TFIIIB...
- Lefebvre O, Ruth J, Sentenac A. A mutation in the largest subunit of yeast TFIIIC affects tRNA and 5 S RNA synthesis. Identification of two classes of suppressors. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:23374-81 pubmed..A second class of suppressors is not involved in transcription but alleviates the main physiological defects of mutant cells. It includes RPR1 and NOP1, required for the maturation of pre-tRNA and pre-rRNA, respectively. ..
- Dumay H, Rubbi L, Sentenac A, Marck C. Interaction between yeast RNA polymerase III and transcription factor TFIIIC via ABC10alpha and tau131 subunits. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:33462-8 pubmed..These results point to the potential importance of a functional contact between TFIIIC and RNA polymerase III. ..
- Liao Y, Moir R, Willis I. Interactions of Brf1 peptides with the tetratricopeptide repeat-containing subunit of TFIIIC inhibit and promote preinitiation complex assembly. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:5946-56 pubmedThe binding of Brf1 to the tetratricopeptide repeat (TPR)-containing transcription factor IIIC (TFIIIC) subunit (Tfc4) represents a rate-limiting step in the ordered assembly of the RNA polymerase III initiation factor TFIIIB...
- Tsihlis N, Grove A. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae RNA polymerase III recruitment factor subunits Brf1 and Bdp1 impose a strict sequence preference for the downstream half of the TATA box. Nucleic Acids Res. 2006;34:5585-93 pubmed..achieve recruitment of Saccharomyces cerevisiae RNA polymerase III, TBP is associated with two additional factors, Brf1 and Bdp1, to form the initiation factor TFIIIB...
- Hu H, Wu C, Lee J, Chen H. A Region of Bdp1 Necessary for Transcription Initiation That Is Located within the RNA Polymerase III Active Site Cleft. Mol Cell Biol. 2015;35:2831-40 pubmed publisher..the highly conserved SANT domain cross-linked to the transcription factor IIB (TFIIB)-related transcription factor Brf1, consistent with the findings of previous studies...
- Kassavetis G, Kumar A, Letts G, Geiduschek E. A post-recruitment function for the RNA polymerase III transcription-initiation factor IIIB. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:9196-201 pubmed..It is proposed that the normal function of TFIIIB combines pol III recruitment with an active role in a subsequent step of transcriptional initiation leading to promoter opening. ..
- Werner M, Chaussivert N, Willis I, Sentenac A. Interaction between a complex of RNA polymerase III subunits and the 70-kDa component of transcription factor IIIB. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:20721-4 pubmed..We found that C82, C34, and C31 are able to combine with each other in vivo and that C34 interacts with TFIIIB70. These results suggest that C34 and TFIIIB70 are specificity determinants of the RNA polymerase III-TFIIIB interaction. ..
- Kassavetis G, Kumar A, Ramirez E, Geiduschek E. Functional and structural organization of Brf, the TFIIB-related component of the RNA polymerase III transcription initiation complex. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:5587-99 pubmed..The constraints established by these analyses specify a global model of the functional segments of Brf and how they fit into the structure of the TFIIIB-DNA complex. ..
- Haeusler R, Pratt Hyatt M, Good P, Gipson T, Engelke D. Clustering of yeast tRNA genes is mediated by specific association of condensin with tRNA gene transcription complexes. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2204-14 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest a widespread role for condensin in gene organization and packaging of the interphase yeast nucleus. ..
- Yieh L, Kassavetis G, Geiduschek E, Sandmeyer S. The Brf and TATA-binding protein subunits of the RNA polymerase III transcription factor IIIB mediate position-specific integration of the gypsy-like element, Ty3. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:29800-7 pubmed..These findings suggest that the minimal requirements for pol III transcription and Ty3 integration are very similar. ..
- Huet J, Conesa C, Manaud N, Chaussivert N, Sentenac A. Interactions between yeast TFIIIB components. Nucleic Acids Res. 1994;22:3433-9 pubmed..Therefore, beside the TFIIIC-dependent assembly process, each TFIIIB component must have an essential role in DNA binding or RNA polymerase recruitment. ..
- Cormack B, Struhl K. Regional codon randomization: defining a TATA-binding protein surface required for RNA polymerase III transcription. Science. 1993;262:244-8 pubmed..These mutants map to a limited TBP surface that may interact with Tds4, a component of the Pol III transcription factor TFIIIB...