Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: BRE2
Alias: CPS60, Bre2p
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Murén E, Oyen M, Barmark G, Ronne H. Identification of yeast deletion strains that are hypersensitive to brefeldin A or monensin, two drugs that affect intracellular transport. Yeast. 2001;18:163-72 pubmed..Several of these are putative transcription factors or RNA-binding proteins, which suggests that they may affect drug sensitivity by modulating the expression of other genes or proteins. ..
- Takahashi Y, Lee J, Swanson S, Saraf A, Florens L, Washburn M, et al. Regulation of H3K4 trimethylation via Cps40 (Spp1) of COMPASS is monoubiquitination independent: implication for a Phe/Tyr switch by the catalytic domain of Set1. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:3478-86 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide a molecular basis for the way in which H3K4 trimethylation is regulated by Tyr1052 and the Cps40 subunit of COMPASS. ..
- Li S, Swanson S, Gogol M, Florens L, Washburn M, Workman J, et al. Serine and SAM Responsive Complex SESAME Regulates Histone Modification Crosstalk by Sensing Cellular Metabolism. Mol Cell. 2015;60:408-21 pubmed publisher..This leads to auto-regulation of PYK1 expression. Thus, our study provides insights into the mechanism of regulating gene expression, responding to cellular metabolism via chromatin modifications. ..
- Kim J, Kim J, McGinty R, Nguyen U, Muir T, Allis C, et al. The n-SET domain of Set1 regulates H2B ubiquitylation-dependent H3K4 methylation. Mol Cell. 2013;49:1121-33 pubmed publisher..As not all members of the H3K4 methyltransferase family contain n-SET domains, our studies draw attention to the n-SET domain as a predictor of an H2B ubiquitylation-sensing mechanism that leads to downstream H3K4 methylation. ..
- Wang A, Aristizabal M, Ryan C, Krogan N, Kobor M. Key functional regions in the histone variant H2A.Z C-terminal docking domain. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:3871-84 pubmed publisher..Z deposition complex SWR1-C, the histone chaperone Chz1, and histone H2B. These data are consistent with a model in which retaining the variant in chromatin after its deposition by SWR1-C is a crucial determinant of its function. ..
- Mueller J, Canze M, Bryk M. The requirements for COMPASS and Paf1 in transcriptional silencing and methylation of histone H3 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2006;173:557-67 pubmed..Finally, we show Paf1 is required for silencing and K4-methylated H3 at the rDNA, suggesting a possible direct role for K4-methylated H3 in gene silencing. ..
- Nedea E, Nalbant D, Xia D, Theoharis N, Suter B, Richardson C, et al. The Glc7 phosphatase subunit of the cleavage and polyadenylation factor is essential for transcription termination on snoRNA genes. Mol Cell. 2008;29:577-87 pubmed publisher..Swd2 is also a subunit of the Set1c histone H3K4 methyltransferase complex and is required for its stability and optimal methyltransferase activity. ..
- Houghton Larsen J, Brandt A. Fermentation of high concentrations of maltose by Saccharomyces cerevisiae is limited by the COMPASS methylation complex. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2006;72:7176-82 pubmed..Yeast strains deleted for SWD1, SWD3, SDC1, SET1, BRE2, or SPP1, encoding components of the COMPASS complex, fermented a medium containing 22% maltose with noticeably ..
- Thornton J, Westfield G, Takahashi Y, Cook M, Gao X, Woodfin A, et al. Context dependency of Set1/COMPASS-mediated histone H3 Lys4 trimethylation. Genes Dev. 2014;28:115-20 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates that the monoubiquitination machinery and Cps35/Swd2 function to focus COMPASS's H3K4me3 activity at promoter-proximal regions in a context-dependent manner...
- Mulder K, Brenkman A, Inagaki A, van den Broek N, Timmers H. Regulation of histone H3K4 tri-methylation and PAF complex recruitment by the Ccr4-Not complex. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:2428-39 pubmed..These results suggest a mechanism in which the Ccr4-Not complex functions parallel to or downstream of the Bur1/2 kinase to facilitate H3K4me3 via PAF complex recruitment. ..
- Takahashi Y, Westfield G, Oleskie A, Trievel R, Shilatifard A, Skiniotis G. Structural analysis of the core COMPASS family of histone H3K4 methylases from yeast to human. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:20526-31 pubmed publisher..These subunits include the methyltransferase C-terminal SET domain of Set1/MLL, Cps60/Ash2L, Cps50/RbBP5, Cps30/WDR5, and Cps25/Dpy30, which are all common components of the COMPASS family from yeast ..
- Lee J, Shukla A, Schneider J, Swanson S, Washburn M, Florens L, et al. Histone crosstalk between H2B monoubiquitination and H3 methylation mediated by COMPASS. Cell. 2007;131:1084-96 pubmed..Cps35 is also required for proper H3K79 trimethylation. These findings offer insight into the molecular role of Cps35 in translating the H2B monoubiquitination signal into H3 methylation. ..
- South P, Fingerman I, Mersman D, Du H, Briggs S. A conserved interaction between the SDI domain of Bre2 and the Dpy-30 domain of Sdc1 is required for histone methylation and gene expression. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:595-607 pubmed publisher..Besides the catalytic Set1 subunit, several proteins that form the Set1C (Swd1, Swd2, Swd3, Spp1, Bre2, and Sdc1) are also needed to mediate proper H3K4 methylation...
- Duan R, Rhie B, Ryu H, Ahn S. The RNA polymerase II Rpb4/7 subcomplex regulates cellular lifespan through an mRNA decay process. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;441:266-70 pubmed
- Chruscicki A, MacDonald V, Young B, Loewen C, Howe L. Critical determinants for chromatin binding by Saccharomyces cerevisiae Yng1 exist outside of the plant homeodomain finger. Genetics. 2010;185:469-77 pubmed publisher..Although these motifs can bind histones independently, together they increase the apparent association of Yng1 for the H3 tail. ..