Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: BIR1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Yoon H, Carbon J. Participation of Bir1p, a member of the inhibitor of apoptosis family, in yeast chromosome segregation events. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:13208-13 pubmedYeast two-hybrid and genetic interaction screens indicate that Bir1p, a yeast protein containing phylogenetically conserved antiapoptotic repeat domains called baculovirus inhibitor of apoptosis repeats (BIRs), is involved in chromosome ..
- Makrantoni V, Stark M. Efficient chromosome biorientation and the tension checkpoint in Saccharomyces cerevisiae both require Bir1. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:4552-62 pubmed publisher..Ipl1 associates with its activators Sli15 (INCENP), Nbl1 (Borealin), and Bir1 (Survivin), but while Sli15 clearly functions with Ipl1 to promote chromosome biorientation, the role of Bir1 has ..
- Gillis A, Thomas S, Hansen S, Kaplan K. A novel role for the CBF3 kinetochore-scaffold complex in regulating septin dynamics and cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2005;171:773-84 pubmed..Consistent with this possibility, we find that CBF3 interacts with Bir1p, the homologue of the passenger protein Survivin...
- Thomas S, Kaplan K. A Bir1p Sli15p kinetochore passenger complex regulates septin organization during anaphase. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:3820-34 pubmed..Our recent work has implicated the passenger protein Bir1p (Survivin) and the inner kinetochore complex centromere binding factor 3 (CBF3) in the regulation of septin ..
- Storchova Z, Becker J, Talarek N, Kögelsberger S, Pellman D. Bub1, Sgo1, and Mps1 mediate a distinct pathway for chromosome biorientation in budding yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:1473-85 pubmed publisher..an unbiased high-copy suppressor screen, we identified two members of the chromosomal passenger complex (CPC), BIR1 (survivin) and SLI15 (INCENP, inner centromere protein), as suppressors of the growth defect of both bub1? and sgo1?..
- Cormier A, Drubin D, Barnes G. Phosphorylation regulates kinase and microtubule binding activities of the budding yeast chromosomal passenger complex in vitro. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:23203-11 pubmed publisher..It comprises four essential and conserved proteins known in mammals/yeasts as Aurora B/Ipl1, INCENP/Sli15, Survivin/Bir1, and Borealin/Nbl1. These subunits act together in a highly controlled fashion...
- Ren Q, Liou L, Gao Q, Bao X, Zhang Z. Bir1 deletion causes malfunction of the spindle assembly checkpoint and apoptosis in yeast. Front Oncol. 2012;2:93 pubmed publisher..In the present study, we demonstrated that Bir1 plays an important role in spindle assembly checkpoint and cell death...
- Thompson D, Parker R. The RNase Rny1p cleaves tRNAs and promotes cell death during oxidative stress in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Biol. 2009;185:43-50 pubmed publisher..Thus, detection of Rny1p, and possibly its orthologues, in the cytosol may be a conserved mechanism for assessing cellular damage and determining cell survival, analogous to the role of cytochrome c as a marker for mitochondrial damage. ..
- Millson S, van Oosten Hawle P, Alkuriji M, Truman A, Siderius M, Piper P. Cdc37 engages in stable, S14A mutation-reinforced association with the most atypical member of the yeast kinome, Cdk-activating kinase (Cak1). Cell Stress Chaperones. 2014;19:695-703 pubmed publisher..Thus, this is the first Cdc37 client kinase found to be excluded from S14 phosphorylation-dependent interaction. The unusual stability of this Cak1:Cdc37 association may partly reflect unique structural features of the fungal Cak1. ..
- Peplowska K, Wallek A, Storchova Z. Sgo1 regulates both condensin and Ipl1/Aurora B to promote chromosome biorientation. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004411 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify shugoshin as a versatile molecular adaptor that governs chromosome biorientation...
- Wong A, Yan C, Shi Y. Crystal structure of the yeast metacaspase Yca1. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:29251-9 pubmed publisher..Our structural and biochemical characterization identifies Yca1 as a Ca(2+)-activated cysteine protease that may cleave specific substrates during stress response in yeast. ..
- Ikui A, Cross F. Specific genetic interactions between spindle assembly checkpoint proteins and B-Type cyclins in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2009;183:51-61 pubmed publisher..High-copy plasmid suppression of bub3 clb5 lethality identified the C-terminal fragment of BIR1, the yeast homolog of survivin; cytologically, the BIR1 fragment rescued the growth and cytokinesis defects...
- Nakajima Y, Tyers R, Wong C, Yates J, Drubin D, Barnes G. Nbl1p: a Borealin/Dasra/CSC-1-like protein essential for Aurora/Ipl1 complex function and integrity in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:1772-84 pubmed publisher..and Animalia, this complex consists of the kinase Aurora B/AIR-2/Ipl1p, INCENP/ICP-1/Sli15p, and Survivin/BIR-1/Bir1p. A fourth subunit, Borealin/Dasra/CSC-1, is required for CPC targeting to centromeres and central spindles and has ..
- Montpetit B, Hazbun T, Fields S, Hieter P. Sumoylation of the budding yeast kinetochore protein Ndc10 is required for Ndc10 spindle localization and regulation of anaphase spindle elongation. J Cell Biol. 2006;174:653-63 pubmed..In this study, we show that the kinetochore proteins Ndc10, Bir1, Ndc80, and Cep3, which mediate the attachment of chromosomes to spindle microtubules, are sumoylated substrates in ..
- Jwa M, Kim J, Chan C. Regulation of Sli15/INCENP, kinetochore, and Cdc14 phosphatase functions by the ribosome biogenesis protein Utp7. J Cell Biol. 2008;182:1099-111 pubmed publisherThe Sli15-Ipl1-Bir1 chromosomal passenger complex is essential for proper kinetochore-microtubule attachment and spindle stability in the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Cheeseman I, Enquist Newman M, MULLER REICHERT T, Drubin D, Barnes G. Mitotic spindle integrity and kinetochore function linked by the Duo1p/Dam1p complex. J Cell Biol. 2001;152:197-212 pubmed..In addition, Duo1p and Dam1p localize to kinetochores in chromosome spreads, suggesting that this complex may serve as a link between the kinetochore and the mitotic spindle. ..