Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: BIM1
Description: microtubule-binding protein BIM1
Alias: YEB1, microtubule-binding protein BIM1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Wolyniak M, Blake Hodek K, Kosco K, Hwang E, You L, Huffaker T. The regulation of microtubule dynamics in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by three interacting plus-end tracking proteins. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:2789-98 pubmed..Here we investigate the physical and functional interactions among three +TIPs in S. cerevisiae, Stu2, Bik1, and Bim1. Two-hybrid, coimmunoprecipitation, and in vitro binding assays demonstrate that they associate in all pairwise ..
- Winsor B, Schiebel E. Review: an overview of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae microtubule and microfilament cytoskeleton. Yeast. 1997;13:399-434 pubmed
- Liakopoulos D, Kusch J, Grava S, Vogel J, Barral Y. Asymmetric loading of Kar9 onto spindle poles and microtubules ensures proper spindle alignment. Cell. 2003;112:561-74 pubmed..In turn, asymmetric distribution of Kar9 ensures that only one pole orients toward the bud. Our results indicate that Cdk1-dependent spindle asymmetry ensures proper alignment of the mitotic spindle with the cell division axis. ..
- Schwartz K, Richards K, Botstein D. BIM1 encodes a microtubule-binding protein in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 1997;8:2677-91 pubmedA previously uncharacterized yeast gene (YER016w) that we have named BIM1 (binding to microtubules) was obtained from a two-hybrid screen of a yeast cDNA library using as bait the entire coding sequence of TUB1 (encoding alpha-tubulin)...
- Yin H, Pruyne D, Huffaker T, Bretscher A. Myosin V orientates the mitotic spindle in yeast. Nature. 2000;406:1013-5 pubmed..The tail domain of Myo2 that binds Kar9 also interacts with secretory vesicles and vacuolar elements, making it a pivotal component of yeast cell polarization. ..
- Pereira G, Höfken T, Grindlay J, Manson C, Schiebel E. The Bub2p spindle checkpoint links nuclear migration with mitotic exit. Mol Cell. 2000;6:1-10 pubmed..Since components of the Bub2p checkpoint are conserved in other organisms, we propose that the position of the SPB or mammalian centrosome controls the timing of mitotic exit. ..
- Gardner M, Haase J, Mythreye K, Molk J, Anderson M, Joglekar A, et al. The microtubule-based motor Kar3 and plus end-binding protein Bim1 provide structural support for the anaphase spindle. J Cell Biol. 2008;180:91-100 pubmed publisher..Our analysis reveals the importance of Bim1p in maintaining a stable ipMT overlap zone by promoting polymerization of ipMTs during anaphase, whereas Kar3p contributes to spindle stability by cross-linking spindle MTs. ..
- Lee L, Tirnauer J, Li J, Schuyler S, Liu J, Pellman D. Positioning of the mitotic spindle by a cortical-microtubule capture mechanism. Science. 2000;287:2260-2 pubmed..Bim1p is the yeast ortholog of human EB1, a binding partner for the adenomatous polyposis coli tumor suppressor. EB1 family proteins may have a general role in linking the microtubule cytoskeleton to cortical polarity determinants. ..
- Blake Hodek K, Cassimeris L, Huffaker T. Regulation of microtubule dynamics by Bim1 and Bik1, the budding yeast members of the EB1 and CLIP-170 families of plus-end tracking proteins. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:2013-23 pubmed publisher..Here, we describe the activities of Bim1 and Bik1, two +TIP proteins from budding yeast and members of the EB1 and CLIP-170 families, respectively...
- Lee M, Spencer F. Bipolar orientation of chromosomes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae is monitored by Mad1 and Mad2, but not by Mad3. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:10655-60 pubmed..Cells without MAD3 were checkpoint-proficient. We conclude that Mad1 and Mad2 are required to detect bipolar orientation and/or tension at kinetochores, whereas Mad3 is not. ..
- Scarfone I, Venturetti M, Hotz M, Lengefeld J, Barral Y, Piatti S. Asymmetry of the budding yeast Tem1 GTPase at spindle poles is required for spindle positioning but not for mitotic exit. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1004938 pubmed publisher..Thus, asymmetry of the Bub2/Bfa1/Tem1 complex is crucial to control Kar9 distribution and spindle positioning during mitosis. ..
- Cortez D, Elledge S. Conducting the mitotic symphony. Nature. 2000;406:354-6 pubmed
- Miller R, Cheng S, Rose M. Bim1p/Yeb1p mediates the Kar9p-dependent cortical attachment of cytoplasmic microtubules. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:2949-59 pubmed..a two-hybrid screen was conducted with the use of full-length Kar9p as bait, and three genes were identified: BIM1, STU2, and KAR9 itself. STU2 encodes a component of the spindle pole body...
- Roberts A, Goodman B, Reck Peterson S. Reconstitution of dynein transport to the microtubule plus end by kinesin. elife. 2014;3:e02641 pubmed publisher..This reveals how a minimal system of proteins transports a molecular motor to the start of its track.DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.02641.001. ..
- McAinsh A, Tytell J, Sorger P. Structure, function, and regulation of budding yeast kinetochores. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2003;19:519-39 pubmed..of centromeres? What are the protein components of kinetochores, and how do they assemble a MT attachment site? How do MT attachments generate force? How do cells sense the state of attachment via the spindle assembly checkpoint? ..
- Keck J, Jones M, Wong C, Binkley J, Chen D, Jaspersen S, et al. A cell cycle phosphoproteome of the yeast centrosome. Science. 2011;332:1557-61 pubmed publisher..Our work establishes the extent and complexity of this prominent posttranslational modification in centrosome biology and provides specific examples of phosphorylation control in centrosome function. ..
- Hüls D, Storchova Z, Niessing D. Post-translational modifications regulate assembly of early spindle orientation complex in yeast. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:16238-45 pubmed publisher..The observed effects of these modifications allow us to propose a novel regulatory framework for the assembly and disassembly of the early spindle orientation complex. ..
- ten Hoopen R, Cepeda García C, Fernández Arruti R, Juanes M, Delgehyr N, Segal M. Mechanism for astral microtubule capture by cortical Bud6p priming spindle polarity in S. cerevisiae. Curr Biol. 2012;22:1075-83 pubmed publisher..Astral MT shrinkage linked to Bud6p involves its direct interaction with Bim1p and the concerted action of two MT motors-Kip3p and dynein. ..
- Woodruff J, Drubin D, Barnes G. Mitotic spindle disassembly occurs via distinct subprocesses driven by the anaphase-promoting complex, Aurora B kinase, and kinesin-8. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:795-808 pubmed publisher..Combinatorial inhibition of these subprocesses yielded cells with hyperstable spindle remnants and dramatic defects in cell cycle progression, establishing that rapid spindle disassembly is crucial for cell proliferation. ..
- Meednu N, Hoops H, D Silva S, Pogorzala L, Wood S, Farkas D, et al. The spindle positioning protein Kar9p interacts with the sumoylation machinery in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2008;180:2033-55 pubmed publisher..We propose a model in which sumoylation regulates spindle positioning by restricting Kar9p to one SPB. These findings raise the possibility that sumoylation could regulate other microtubule-dependent processes. ..
- Moore J, D Silva S, Miller R. The CLIP-170 homologue Bik1p promotes the phosphorylation and asymmetric localization of Kar9p. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:178-91 pubmed..These findings provide further insight into a mechanism for directing centrosomal inheritance. ..
- Chen X, Yin H, Huffaker T. The yeast spindle pole body component Spc72p interacts with Stu2p and is required for proper microtubule assembly. J Cell Biol. 1998;141:1169-79 pubmed..The chromosome segregation block does not arrest the cell cycle; instead, spc72 cells undergo cytokinesis, producing aploid cells and polyploid cells that contain multiple SPBs. ..
- Enquist Newman M, Cheeseman I, Van Goor D, Drubin D, Meluh P, Barnes G. Dad1p, third component of the Duo1p/Dam1p complex involved in kinetochore function and mitotic spindle integrity. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:2601-13 pubmed..In addition, dad1-1 mutants undergo chromosome mis-segregation at the restrictive temperature, resulting in a dramatic decrease in viability. ..
- Shang C, Hazbun T, Cheeseman I, Aranda J, Fields S, Drubin D, et al. Kinetochore protein interactions and their regulation by the Aurora kinase Ipl1p. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:3342-55 pubmed..Strikingly, we found that the Dam1p-Ndc80p and Dam1p-Spc34p interactions were weakened by mutations mimicking phosphorylation at Ipl1p sites, allowing us to formulate a model for the effects of phosphoregulation on kinetochore function. ..
- Cuschieri L, Miller R, Vogel J. Gamma-tubulin is required for proper recruitment and assembly of Kar9-Bim1 complexes in budding yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:4420-34 pubmed..Paradoxically, +TIPs such as the EB1 orthologue Bim1 and Kar9 also associate with spindle pole bodies (SPBs), the centrosome equivalent in budding yeast...
- Prajapati H, Rizvi S, Rathore I, Ghosh S. Microtubule-associated proteins, Bik1 and Bim1, are required for faithful partitioning of the endogenous 2 micron plasmids in budding yeast. Mol Microbiol. 2017;103:1046-1064 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that the microtubule-associated proteins Bik1 and Bim1 are also important host factors in this process, perhaps by acting as an adapter between the plasmid and the motor ..
- Kammerer D, Stevermann L, Liakopoulos D. Ubiquitylation regulates interactions of astral microtubules with the cleavage apparatus. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1233-43 pubmed publisher..Photoconversion experiments showed that Kar9 association with aMTs is stable. We propose that ubiquitylation controls interactions of aMTs with the cleavage apparatus through localized disassembly of Kar9 complexes. ..
- Fraschini R, Bilotta D, Lucchini G, Piatti S. Functional characterization of Dma1 and Dma2, the budding yeast homologues of Schizosaccharomyces pombe Dma1 and human Chfr. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:3796-810 pubmed..Although their primary functions remain to be defined, our data suggest that Dma1 and Dma2 might be required to ensure timely MEN activation in telophase. ..
- Ban R, Matsuzaki H, Akashi T, Sakashita G, Taniguchi H, Park S, et al. Mitotic regulation of the stability of microtubule plus-end tracking protein EB3 by ubiquitin ligase SIAH-1 and Aurora mitotic kinases. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:28367-81 pubmed publisher..Our results provide new insight into a regulatory mechanism of +TIPs in cell cycle transition. ..
- Kerres A, Vietmeier Decker C, Ortiz J, Karig I, Beuter C, Hegemann J, et al. The fission yeast kinetochore component Spc7 associates with the EB1 family member Mal3 and is required for kinetochore-spindle association. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:5255-67 pubmed..Spc7 function seems to be conserved because, Spc105, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae homolog of Spc7, identified by mass spectrometry as a component of the conserved Ndc80 complex, can rescue mal3 mutant strains. ..
- Kim J, Jang S, Song K. Different levels of Bfa1/Bub2 GAP activity are required to prevent mitotic exit of budding yeast depending on the type of perturbations. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:4328-40 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that there is a GAP-independent surveillance mechanism of Bfa1/Bub2, which, together with the GTP/GDP switch of Tem1, may be required for the genomic stability of cells with misaligned spindles. ..
- Caudron F, Denarier E, Thibout Quintana J, Brocard J, Andrieux A, Fourest Lieuvin A. Mutation of Ser172 in yeast ? tubulin induces defects in microtubule dynamics and cell division. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e13553 pubmed publisher..In the absence of Mad2p-dependent spindle checkpoint, both mutations are deleterious. These findings show the importance of Ser172 for the correct function of both cytoplasmic and spindle MTs and for normal cell division. ..
- Mayer M, Pot I, Chang M, Xu H, Aneliunas V, Kwok T, et al. Identification of protein complexes required for efficient sister chromatid cohesion. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:1736-45 pubmed..Deletion of seven genes (CHL1, CSM3, BIM1, KAR3, TOF1, CTF4, and VIK1) resulted in defective sister chromatid cohesion...
- Hosotani T, Koyama H, Uchino M, Miyakawa T, Tsuchiya E. PKC1, a protein kinase C homologue of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, participates in microtubule function through the yeast EB1 homologue, BIM1. Genes Cells. 2001;6:775-88 pubmed..Amongst the suppressors we cloned PKC1/STT1 and BIM1 that encoded a homologue of mammalian protein kinase C and a conserved microtubule binding protein homologous to ..
- Zimniak T, Fitz V, Zhou H, Lampert F, Opravil S, Mechtler K, et al. Spatiotemporal regulation of Ipl1/Aurora activity by direct Cdk1 phosphorylation. Curr Biol. 2012;22:787-93 pubmed publisher..in the N-terminal domain, thereby suppressing its association with the microtubule plus-end tracking protein Bim1 until the onset of anaphase...
- Adames N, Oberle J, Cooper J. The surveillance mechanism of the spindle position checkpoint in yeast. J Cell Biol. 2001;153:159-68 pubmed..In both wild-type and mutant cells, mitotic exit was preceded by loss of cytoplasmic microtubules from the neck. Thus, the spindle position checkpoint may monitor such interactions. ..