Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: BEM2
Alias: IPL2, SUP9, TSL1, Bem2p
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Lenburg M, O Shea E. Genetic evidence for a morphogenetic function of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae Pho85 cyclin-dependent kinase. Genetics. 2001;157:39-51 pubmed..mutations that define seven Pho Eighty-Five Requiring or Efr loci, six of which are previously identified genes-BEM2 (YER155C), SPT7 (YBR081C), GCR1 (YPL075W), SRB5 (YGR104C), HFI1 (YPL254W), and BCK1 (YJL095W)-with one novel gene (..
- Bender A, Pringle J. Use of a screen for synthetic lethal and multicopy suppressee mutants to identify two new genes involved in morphogenesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1991;11:1295-305 pubmed..The new mutations defined two genes, BEM1 and BEM2; both the bem1 and bem2 mutations are temperature sensitive and are only partially suppressed by MSB1...
- Ho H, Lee H, Liao H, Chen M. Involvement of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Avo3p/Tsc11p in maintaining TOR complex 2 integrity and coupling to downstream signaling. Eukaryot Cell. 2008;7:1328-43 pubmed publisher..Our results also suggest that Avo2p/Slm1p-mediated signaling, but not Avo1p-mediated signaling, links to Rho1p activation specifically through the Rho1p-guanine nucleotide exchange factor Tus1p. ..
- Wang T, Bretscher A. Mutations synthetically lethal with tpm1delta lie in genes involved in morphogenesis. Genetics. 1997;147:1595-607 pubmed..Here we describe a phenotypic and genetic analysis of mutations in TSL1/BEM2, TSL2, TSL3, TSL5, and TSL6 (tropomyosin synthetic lethal)...
- Woods B, LAI H, Wu C, Zyla T, Savage N, Lew D. Parallel Actin-Independent Recycling Pathways Polarize Cdc42 in Budding Yeast. Curr Biol. 2016;26:2114-26 pubmed publisher..We also uncovered a novel role for the Cdc42-directed GTPase-activating protein (GAP) Bem2 in Cdc42 polarization...
- Chen G, Kim Y, Chan C. The Cdc42 GTPase-associated proteins Gic1 and Gic2 are required for polarized cell growth in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genes Dev. 1997;11:2958-71 pubmedb>BEM2 of Saccharomyces cerevisiae encodes a Rho-type GTPase-activating protein that is required for proper bud site selection at 26 degrees C and for bud emergence at elevated temperatures...
- Healy A, Zolnierowicz S, Stapleton A, Goebl M, DePaoli Roach A, Pringle J. CDC55, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae gene involved in cellular morphogenesis: identification, characterization, and homology to the B subunit of mammalian type 2A protein phosphatase. Mol Cell Biol. 1991;11:5767-80 pubmed..An extragenic suppressor of the cdc55 mutation lies in BEM2, a gene previously identified on the basis of an apparent role in bud emergence.
- Lorberg A, Schmitz H, Jacoby J, Heinisch J. Lrg1p functions as a putative GTPase-activating protein in the Pkc1p-mediated cell integrity pathway in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Genet Genomics. 2001;266:514-26 pubmed..Phenotypic comparison of lrg1 mutants with mutants defective in other GTPase-activating proteins (Sac7p, Bem2p, Bag7p) presumed to act on Rho1p revealed that deletion of SAC7, but not BEM2 or BAG7, suppresses the phenotype of ..
- Atkins B, Yoshida S, Saito K, Wu C, Lew D, Pellman D. Inhibition of Cdc42 during mitotic exit is required for cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:231-40 pubmed publisher..The effects of Cdc42 hyperactivation are largely mediated by the Cdc42 effector p21-activated kinase Ste20. Inhibition of Cdc42 and related Rho guanosine triphosphatases may be a general feature of cytokinesis in eukaryotes. ..
- Chen G, Zheng L, Chan C. The LIM domain-containing Dbm1 GTPase-activating protein is required for normal cellular morphogenesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:1376-90 pubmed..Furthermore, yeast cells lacking both Bem2p and Dbm1p are inviable...
- Matsui Y, Toh e A. Yeast RHO3 and RHO4 ras superfamily genes are necessary for bud growth, and their defect is suppressed by a high dose of bud formation genes CDC42 and BEM1. Mol Cell Biol. 1992;12:5690-9 pubmed
- Sullivan D, Georgiev A, Menon A. Tritium suicide selection identifies proteins involved in the uptake and intracellular transport of sterols in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2009;8:161-9 pubmed publisher..The transport of newly synthesized sterols from the ER to the PM was also defective in det1Delta cells. These data indicate that the cytoplasmic protein encoded by DET1 is involved in intracellular sterol transport...
- Mackin N, Sousou T, Erdman S. The PXL1 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae encodes a paxillin-like protein functioning in polarized cell growth. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:1904-17 pubmed..Genetic analyses of strains lacking both PXL1 and the Rho GAP BEM2 demonstrate that such cells display pronounced growth defects in response to different conditions causing Rho1 ..
- Zheng Y, Cerione R, Bender A. Control of the yeast bud-site assembly GTPase Cdc42. Catalysis of guanine nucleotide exchange by Cdc24 and stimulation of GTPase activity by Bem3. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:2369-72 pubmed..that is a multicopy suppressor of the temperature-sensitive lethality caused by mutations in the bud emergence gene BEM2. Bem3 and Bem2 both contain a Rho GTPase-activating protein homology domain, but only Bem3 is able to stimulate the ..
- Knaus M, Cameroni E, Pedruzzi I, Tatchell K, De Virgilio C, Peter M. The Bud14p-Glc7p complex functions as a cortical regulator of dynein in budding yeast. EMBO J. 2005;24:3000-11 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest that Bud14p functions as a regulatory subunit of the Glc7p type-I phosphatase to stabilize MT interactions specifically at sites of polarized growth. ..
- Hermann G, King E, Shaw J. The yeast gene, MDM20, is necessary for mitochondrial inheritance and organization of the actin cytoskeleton. J Cell Biol. 1997;137:141-53 pubmed..exhibit the same pattern of genetic interactions; mutations in MDM20 are synthetically lethal with mutations in BEM2 and MYO2 but not SAC6...
- Madden K, Snyder M. Cell polarity and morphogenesis in budding yeast. Annu Rev Microbiol. 1998;52:687-744 pubmed..Since many of the components important for polarized cell growth are conserved in other organisms, the basic mechanisms mediating polarized cell growth are likely to be universal among eukaryotes. ..
- Manning B, Padmanabha R, Snyder M. The Rho-GEF Rom2p localizes to sites of polarized cell growth and participates in cytoskeletal functions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 1997;8:1829-44 pubmed..Furthermore, rom2 delta strains exhibit increased sensitivity to the microtubule depolymerizing drug benomyl. These results suggest a role for Rom2p in both polarized morphogenesis and functions of the microtubule cytoskeleton. ..
- Luke M, Della Seta F, Di Como C, Sugimoto H, Kobayashi R, Arndt K. The SAP, a new family of proteins, associate and function positively with the SIT4 phosphatase. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:2744-55 pubmed..Overexpression of a SAP from one group does not suppress the defects due to the loss of the other group. These findings and others indicate that the SAPs have distinct functions. ..
- Schmitz H, Huppert S, Lorberg A, Heinisch J. Rho5p downregulates the yeast cell integrity pathway. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:3139-48 pubmed..Kinetics of actin depolarisation and repolarisation after heat treatment of rho5 deletions as well as strains overexpressing the activated RHO5Q91H allele provide further evidence for such a function. ..
- Santos B, Snyder M. Sbe2p and sbe22p, two homologous Golgi proteins involved in yeast cell wall formation. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:435-52 pubmed..Thus, we suggest a model in which Sbe2p and Sbe22p are involved in the transport of cell wall components from the Golgi apparatus to the cell surface periphery in a pathway independent of Chs5p. ..
- Gong T, Liao Y, He F, Yang Y, Yang D, Chen X, et al. Control of polarized growth by the Rho family GTPase Rho4 in budding yeast: requirement of the N-terminal extension of Rho4 and regulation by the Rho GTPase-activating protein Bem2. Eukaryot Cell. 2013;12:368-77 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we show that Rho4 interacts with Bem2, a Rho GTPase-activating protein (RhoGAP) for Cdc42 and Rho1, by yeast two-hybrid, bimolecular fluorescence ..