Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: BCK2
Alias: CTR7, Bck2p
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Costanzo M, Nishikawa J, Tang X, Millman J, Schub O, Breitkreuz K, et al. CDK activity antagonizes Whi5, an inhibitor of G1/S transcription in yeast. Cell. 2004;117:899-913 pubmed..Elimination of CDK activity at the end of mitosis allows Whi5 to reenter the nucleus to again repress G1/S transcription. These findings harmonize G1/S control in eukaryotes. ..
- de Bruin R, McDonald W, Kalashnikova T, Yates J, Wittenberg C. Cln3 activates G1-specific transcription via phosphorylation of the SBF bound repressor Whi5. Cell. 2004;117:887-98 pubmed..Like mammalian Rb, Whi5 is a G1-specific transcriptional repressor antagonized by CDK. ..
- Pathak R, Bogomolnaya L, Guo J, Polymenis M. Gid8p (Dcr1p) and Dcr2p function in a common pathway to promote START completion in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2004;3:1627-38 pubmed..Our findings identify two gene products with a probable regulatory role in the timing of initiation of cell division. ..
- Valachovic M, Bareither B, Shah Alam Bhuiyan M, Eckstein J, Barbuch R, Balderes D, et al. Cumulative mutations affecting sterol biosynthesis in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae result in synthetic lethality that is suppressed by alterations in sphingolipid profiles. Genetics. 2006;173:1893-908 pubmed..We show that deletion of YND1, like deletion of GDA1, alters the sphingolipid profiles, suggesting that changes in sphingolipids compensate for lethality produced by changes in sterol composition and abundance. ..
- Robinson K, Koepke J, Kharodawala M, Lopes J. A network of yeast basic helix-loop-helix interactions. Nucleic Acids Res. 2000;28:4460-6 pubmed..Screening a yeast cDNA library identified three additional proteins that interact with Ino4p: Bck2p, YLR422W and YNR064C...
- Wang H, Carey L, Cai Y, Wijnen H, Futcher B. Recruitment of Cln3 cyclin to promoters controls cell cycle entry via histone deacetylase and other targets. PLoS Biol. 2009;7:e1000189 pubmed publisher..The cell may titrate Cln3 molecules against the number of SBF binding sites, and this could be the underlying basis of the size-control mechanism for Start. ..
- Martin Yken H, Dagkessamanskaia A, de Groot P, Ram A, Klis F, Francois J. Saccharomyces cerevisiae YCRO17c/CWH43 encodes a putative sensor/transporter protein upstream of the BCK2 branch of the PKC1-dependent cell wall integrity pathway. Yeast. 2001;18:827-40 pubmed..Genetic analysis places CWH43 upstream of the BCK2 branch of the PKC1 signalling pathway, since cwh43 mutations were synthetic lethal with pkc1 deletion, whereas the ..
- Basmaji F, Martin Yken H, Durand F, Dagkessamanskaia A, Pichereaux C, Rossignol M, et al. The 'interactome' of the Knr4/Smi1, a protein implicated in coordinating cell wall synthesis with bud emergence in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Genet Genomics. 2006;275:217-30 pubmed
- Artiles K, Anastasia S, McCusker D, Kellogg D. The Rts1 regulatory subunit of protein phosphatase 2A is required for control of G1 cyclin transcription and nutrient modulation of cell size. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000727 pubmed publisher..Together, these observations demonstrate that Rts1 is a key player in pathways that link nutrient availability, cell size, and G1 cyclin transcription. Since Rts1 is highly conserved, it may function in similar pathways in vertebrates. ..
- Flick K, Wittenberg C. Multiple pathways for suppression of mutants affecting G1-specific transcription in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2005;169:37-49 pubmed..Together with additional characterization these findings indicate that multiple independent pathways are sufficient for proliferation in the absence of G(1)-specific transcriptional activators. ..
- Andrews P, Stark M. Type 1 protein phosphatase is required for maintenance of cell wall integrity, morphogenesis and cell cycle progression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 3):507-20 pubmed..Dephosphorylation by PP1 therefore functions positively to promote cell integrity, bud morphology and polarization of the actin cytoskeleton and glc7-10 cells require higher levels of Pkc1p activity to sustain these functions. ..
- Bastajian N, Friesen H, Andrews B. Bck2 acts through the MADS box protein Mcm1 to activate cell-cycle-regulated genes in budding yeast. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003507 pubmed publisherThe Bck2 protein is a potent genetic regulator of cell-cycle-dependent gene expression in budding yeast...
- Adames N, Schuck P, Chen K, Murali T, Tyson J, Peccoud J. Experimental testing of a new integrated model of the budding yeast Start transition. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:3966-84 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates the advantages of combining model design, simulation, and testing in a coordinated effort to better understand a complex biological network. ..