Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ATP1
Description: F1F0 ATP synthase subunit alpha
Alias: F1F0 ATP synthase subunit alpha
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Arnold I, Bauer M, Brunner M, Neupert W, Stuart R. Yeast mitochondrial F1F0-ATPase: the novel subunit e is identical to Tim11. FEBS Lett. 1997;411:195-200 pubmed..Subunit e had been previously identified as Tim11 and was proposed to be involved in the process of sorting of proteins to the mitochondrial inner membrane. ..
- Harner M, Unger A, Geerts W, Mari M, Izawa T, Stenger M, et al. An evidence based hypothesis on the existence of two pathways of mitochondrial crista formation. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..The proposed hypothesis is suggested to apply also to higher eukaryotes, since the key components are conserved in structure and function throughout evolution. ..
- Lau W, Baker L, Rubinstein J. Cryo-EM structure of the yeast ATP synthase. J Mol Biol. 2008;382:1256-64 pubmed publisher..This new map has allowed construction of a model of subunit arrangement in the F(O) motor of ATP synthase that dictates how dimerization of the complex via subunits e and g might occur. ..
- Ichikawa N, Mizuno M. Functional expression of hexahistidine-tagged beta-subunit of yeast F1-ATPase and isolation of the enzyme by immobilized metal affinity chromatography. Protein Expr Purif. 2004;37:97-101 pubmed..The application of this novel procedure simplifies the number of steps required for the isolation of F1 used for studying the molecular mechanism of catalysis and regulation of the enzyme. ..
- Tzagoloff A, Barrientos A, Neupert W, Herrmann J. Atp10p assists assembly of Atp6p into the F0 unit of the yeast mitochondrial ATPase. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:19775-80 pubmed..Based on these observations, we propose Atp10p to be an Atp6p-specific chaperone that facilitates the incorporation of Atp6p into an intermediate subcomplex of ATPase subunits. ..
- Masciadri B, Areces L, Carpinelli P, Foiani M, Draetta G, Fiore F. Characterization of the BUD31 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;320:1342-50 pubmed..We propose that the observed phenotypes for bud31-null strain could be the result of defective splicing and indicate a first functional role for Bud3lp and its homologs. ..
- Francis B, White K, Thorsness P. Mutations in the Atp1p and Atp3p subunits of yeast ATP synthase differentially affect respiration and fermentation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Bioenerg Biomembr. 2007;39:127-44 pubmedb>ATP1-111, a suppressor of the slow-growth phenotype of yme1Delta lacking mitochondrial DNA is due to the substitution of phenylalanine for valine at position 111 of the alpha-subunit of mitochondrial ATP synthase (Atp1p in yeast)...
- Grandier Vazeille X, Bathany K, Chaignepain S, Camougrand N, Manon S, Schmitter J. Yeast mitochondrial dehydrogenases are associated in a supramolecular complex. Biochemistry. 2001;40:9758-69 pubmed..The association of these proteins is discussed in terms of NADH-channeling. ..
- Kaufman B, Newman S, Hallberg R, Slaughter C, Perlman P, Butow R. In organello formaldehyde crosslinking of proteins to mtDNA: identification of bifunctional proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:7772-7 pubmed..These data identify bifunctional proteins that participate in the stability of rho(+) mtDNA. ..
- Arnold I, Pfeiffer K, Neupert W, Stuart R, Schagger H. ATP synthase of yeast mitochondria. Isolation of subunit j and disruption of the ATP18 gene. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:36-40 pubmed..In the absence of Su j, spontaneously arising rho- cells were observed that lacked also ubiquinol-cytochrome c reductase and cytochrome c oxidase activities. We conclude that Su j is a novel and essential subunit of yeast ATP synthase. ..
- Pagadala V, Vistain L, Symersky J, Mueller D. Characterization of the mitochondrial ATP synthase from yeast Saccharomyces cerevisae. J Bioenerg Biomembr. 2011;43:333-47 pubmed publisher..F(1)F(o) ATP synthase with ?-GFP was purified to homogeneity and serves as an excellent enzyme for two- and three-dimensional crystallization studies. ..
- Chen X, Wang X, Kaufman B, Butow R. Aconitase couples metabolic regulation to mitochondrial DNA maintenance. Science. 2005;307:714-7 pubmed..When constitutively expressed, Aco1p can replace the mtDNA packaging function of the high-mobility-group protein Abf2p. Thus, Aco1p may integrate metabolic signals and mtDNA maintenance. ..
- Brandina I, Graham J, Lemaitre Guillier C, Entelis N, Krasheninnikov I, Sweetlove L, et al. Enolase takes part in a macromolecular complex associated to mitochondria in yeast. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1757:1217-28 pubmed..This suggests an unsuspected novel function for this complex in tRNA mitochondrial import. ..
- Jasnos L, Korona R. Epistatic buffering of fitness loss in yeast double deletion strains. Nat Genet. 2007;39:550-4 pubmed..Based on our data and former theoretical work, we suggest that epistasis is likely to diminish the negative effects of mutations when the ability to produce biomass at high rates contributes significantly to fitness. ..
- Mabuchi T, Ichimura Y, Takeda M, Douglas M. ASC1/RAS2 suppresses the growth defect on glycerol caused by the atp1-2 mutation in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:10492-7 pubmed..alpha-subunit in the catalytic cycle of the ATP synthase complex, we isolated suppressors of mutations occurring in ATP1, the gene for the alpha-subunit in Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Robinson G, Bason J, Montgomery M, Fearnley I, Mueller D, Leslie A, et al. The structure of F?-ATPase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae inhibited by its regulatory protein IF?. Open Biol. 2013;3:120164 pubmed publisher..Thus, the structure provides further evidence of sequential product release, with the phosphate and the magnesium ion released before the ADP molecule. ..
- Yao B, Mueller D. The role of the amino-terminal beta-barrel domain of the alpha and beta subunits in the yeast F1-ATPase. J Bioenerg Biomembr. 1999;31:95-104 pubmed..These results mimic in vivo results and suggest that the interactions of the beta-barrel domains may be critical during the folding and assembly of F1. ..
- Michelot A, Grassart A, Okreglak V, Costanzo M, Boone C, Drubin D. Actin filament elongation in Arp2/3-derived networks is controlled by three distinct mechanisms. Dev Cell. 2013;24:182-95 pubmed publisher..Thus, three distinct mechanisms control filament elongation in different regions of Arp2/3 networks, maintaining pools of assembly-competent actin species while ensuring proper filament polarity and facilitating force production...
- Jault J, di Pietro A, Falson P, Gautheron D. Alteration of apparent negative cooperativity of ATPase activity by alpha-subunit glutamine 173 mutation in yeast mitochondrial F1. Correlation with impaired nucleotide interaction at a regulatory site. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:8073-8 pubmed..The results show that alpha-Gln173 participates in nucleotide interaction at a regulatory site which controls the negative cooperativity of F1-ATPase activity. ..
- Rubinstein J, Dickson V, Runswick M, Walker J. ATP synthase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae: location of subunit h in the peripheral stalk region. J Mol Biol. 2005;345:513-20 pubmed..Models of the peripheral stalk are proposed that are consistent with this location and with reconstitution experiments conducted with isolated peripheral stalk subunits. ..
- Huang Z, Chen K, Xu T, Zhang J, Li Y, Li W, et al. Sampangine inhibits heme biosynthesis in both yeast and human. Eukaryot Cell. 2011;10:1536-44 pubmed publisher..This study also reveals a surprising essential role for the interaction between the mitochondrial ATP synthase and the electron transport chain. ..
- Rak M, Gokova S, Tzagoloff A. Modular assembly of yeast mitochondrial ATP synthase. EMBO J. 2011;30:920-30 pubmed publisher..These studies show that assembly of the ATP synthase is not a single linear process, as previously thought, but rather involves two separate but coordinately regulated pathways that converge at the end stage. ..
- Lauffer S, Mäbert K, Czupalla C, Pursche T, Hoflack B, Rödel G, et al. Saccharomyces cerevisiae porin pore forms complexes with mitochondrial outer membrane proteins Om14p and Om45p. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:17447-58 pubmed publisher..We propose a model for the role of the two OM proteins in addressing the porin pore to bind to specific channels in the mt IM to facilitate transport of metabolites. ..
- Ackerman S, Martin J, Tzagoloff A. Characterization of ATP11 and detection of the encoded protein in mitochondria of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:7386-94 pubmed..A fraction eluted from the avidin column and enriched for the biotinated ATP11 protein also contains the alpha and beta subunits of F1-ATPase. ..
- Wang Z, Sheluho D, Gatti D, Ackerman S. The alpha-subunit of the mitochondrial F(1) ATPase interacts directly with the assembly factor Atp12p. EMBO J. 2000;19:1486-93 pubmed..These studies provide the basis for a model of F(1) assembly in which Atp12p is released from the alpha-subunit in exchange for a beta-subunit to form the interface that contains the non-catalytic adenine nucleotide-binding site. ..