Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ATG7
Alias: APG11, APG7, CVT2, Atg7p
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Jotwani A, Richerson D, Motta I, Julca Zevallos O, Melia T. Approaches to the study of Atg8-mediated membrane dynamics in vitro. Methods Cell Biol. 2012;108:93-116 pubmed publisher..We then describe methods to study Atg8-PE mediated membrane tethering and fusion, two functions implicated in Atg8's role in autophagosome maturation. ..
- Ho K, Chang H, Huang W. Mutation at the cargo-receptor binding site of Atg8 also affects its general autophagy regulation function. Autophagy. 2009;5:461-71 pubmed..Our observation paves the road for a more comprehensive understanding on how Atg8 coordinates cargo sorting and vesicle formation in selective autophagic pathways. ..
- Ma J, Bharucha N, Dobry C, Frisch R, Lawson S, Kumar A. Localization of autophagy-related proteins in yeast using a versatile plasmid-based resource of fluorescent protein fusions. Autophagy. 2008;4:792-800 pubmed..Collectively, this plasmid-based resource of yeast gene-vYFP fusions provides an initial toolkit for a variety of systematic and large-scale localization studies exploring pathway biology in the budding yeast. ..
- Bae J, Park H. Purification and characterization of a ubiquitin-like system for autophagosome formation. J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2010;20:1647-52 pubmed..Here, we purified and characterized Atg7 (an E1-like enzyme), and Atg3 and Atg10 (E2-like enzymes) in order to gain an insight into the role played by ..
- Hong S, Kim B, Lee K, Kim S, Jeon H, Kim J, et al. Insights into noncanonical E1 enzyme activation from the structure of autophagic E1 Atg7 with Atg8. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2011;18:1323-30 pubmed publisher..The autophagic ubiquitin-like (Ubl) molecule Atg8 is activated by the E1-like enzyme Atg7. As this noncanonical E1 enzyme's domain organization is unique among Ubl-activating E1 enzymes, the structural ..
- Maeda Y, Oku M, Sakai Y. A defect of the vacuolar putative lipase Atg15 accelerates degradation of lipid droplets through lipolysis. Autophagy. 2015;11:1247-58 pubmed publisher..Our data provide evidence for a novel link between autophagic flux and LD dynamics integrated with Atg15 activity. ..
- Hong S, Kim B, Kim J, Song H. Structure of the autophagic E2 enzyme Atg10. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2012;68:1409-17 pubmed..One of two autophagic E2 enzymes, Atg10, interacts with Atg7 to receive Atg12, a ubiquitin-like molecule, and is also involved in the Atg12-Atg5 conjugation reaction...
- Wilson Zbinden C, Dos Santos A, Stoffel Studer I, van der Vaart A, Hofmann K, Reggiori F, et al. Autophagy competes for a common phosphatidylethanolamine pool with major cellular PE-consuming pathways in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2015;199:475-85 pubmed publisher..defects of mcd4-174 and mcd4-P301L mutants are suppressed by deletion of essential autophagy genes such as ATG1 or ATG7. MCD4 encodes an ethanolamine phosphate transferase that uses PE as a precursor for an essential step in the ..
- Sakakibara K, Eiyama A, Suzuki S, Sakoh Nakatogawa M, Okumura N, Tani M, et al. Phospholipid methylation controls Atg32-mediated mitophagy and Atg8 recycling. EMBO J. 2015;34:2703-19 pubmed publisher..Amelioration of Atg32 expression and attenuation of Atg8-PMME conjugation markedly rescue mitophagy in opi3-null cells. We propose that proper regulation of phospholipid methylation is crucial for Atg32-mediated mitophagy. ..
- Eisenberg T, Schroeder S, Andryushkova A, Pendl T, Kuttner V, Bhukel A, et al. Nucleocytosolic depletion of the energy metabolite acetyl-coenzyme a stimulates autophagy and prolongs lifespan. Cell Metab. 2014;19:431-44 pubmed publisher..Since AcCoA integrates various nutrition pathways, our findings may explain diet-dependent lifespan and autophagy regulation. ..
- Lu K, Psakhye I, Jentsch S. Autophagic clearance of polyQ proteins mediated by ubiquitin-Atg8 adaptors of the conserved CUET protein family. Cell. 2014;158:549-63 pubmed publisher..We thus propose that CUET proteins play a critical and ancient role in autophagic clearance of cytotoxic protein aggregates. ..
- Shintani T, Mizushima N, Ogawa Y, Matsuura A, Noda T, Ohsumi Y. Apg10p, a novel protein-conjugating enzyme essential for autophagy in yeast. EMBO J. 1999;18:5234-41 pubmed..These findings indicate that Apg10p is a new type of protein-conjugating enzyme that functions in the Apg12p-Apg5p conjugation pathway. ..
- Panasenko O, Collart M. Presence of Not5 and ubiquitinated Rps7A in polysome fractions depends upon the Not4 E3 ligase. Mol Microbiol. 2012;83:640-53 pubmed publisher..These results lead us to suggest that Not4 contributes to normal polysome levels and is important for cellular protein solubility maybe in part by ubiquitination of Rps7A. ..
- Yamazaki Sato H, Tanida I, Ueno T, Kominami E. The carboxyl terminal 17 amino acids within Apg7 are essential for Apg8 lipidation, but not for Apg12 conjugation. FEBS Lett. 2003;551:71-7 pubmed..As a unique E1-like enzyme, Apg7 activates two modifiers (Apg12 and Apg8) in an ATP-dependent manner and, for this activity, the carboxyl terminal ..
- Kaiser S, Mao K, Taherbhoy A, Yu S, Olszewski J, Duda D, et al. Noncanonical E2 recruitment by the autophagy E1 revealed by Atg7-Atg3 and Atg7-Atg10 structures. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2012;19:1242-9 pubmed publisherCore functions of autophagy are mediated by ubiquitin-like protein (UBL) cascades, in which a homodimeric E1 enzyme, Atg7, directs the UBLs Atg8 and Atg12 to their respective E2 enzymes, Atg3 and Atg10...
- Marshall R, McLoughlin F, Vierstra R. Autophagic Turnover of Inactive 26S Proteasomes in Yeast Is Directed by the Ubiquitin Receptor Cue5 and the Hsp42 Chaperone. Cell Rep. 2016;16:1717-1732 pubmed publisher..Together, Cue5 and Hsp42 provide a quality control checkpoint in yeast directed at recycling dysfunctional 26S proteasomes. ..
- Shpilka T, Welter E, Borovsky N, Amar N, Shimron F, Peleg Y, et al. Fatty acid synthase is preferentially degraded by autophagy upon nitrogen starvation in yeast. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:1434-9 pubmed publisher..We also provide evidence that FAS degradation is essential for survival under nitrogen deprivation. Our results imply that during nitrogen starvation specific proteins are preferentially recruited into autophagosomes. ..
- Zimmermann C, Santos A, Gable K, Epstein S, Gururaj C, Chymkowitch P, et al. TORC1 inhibits GSK3-mediated Elo2 phosphorylation to regulate very long chain fatty acid synthesis and autophagy. Cell Rep. 2013;5:1036-46 pubmed publisher..Together, our data reveal a function for TORC1 and GSK3 in the regulation of VLCFA synthesis that has important implications for autophagy and cell homeostasis. ..
- Kario E, Amar N, Elazar Z, Navon A. A new autophagy-related checkpoint in the degradation of an ERAD-M target. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:11479-91 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate a new conduit for the selective vacuolar/lysosomal removal of ERAD misfolded proteins by an autophagy-related machinery acting concomitantly with the proteasome. ..
- Matsui A, Kamada Y, Matsuura A. The role of autophagy in genome stability through suppression of abnormal mitosis under starvation. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003245 pubmed publisher..Our data establish the role of autophagy in genome stability through modulation of cell division under conditions that repress cell growth. ..
- Mijaljica D, Prescott M, Devenish R. A late form of nucleophagy in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40013 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the inhibition of LN in some mutants is accompanied by alterations in nuclear morphology. ..
- Komatsu M, Tanida I, Ueno T, Ohsumi M, Ohsumi Y, Kominami E. The C-terminal region of an Apg7p/Cvt2p is required for homodimerization and is essential for its E1 activity and E1-E2 complex formation. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:9846-54 pubmed..These results suggest that Apg7p forms a homodimer via the C-terminal region and that the C-terminal region is essential for both the activity of the E1 enzyme for Apg12p and Apg8p as well as the formation of an E1-E2 complex for Apg8p. ..