Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ATG3
Alias: APG3, AUT1, Atg3p
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Kanki T, Wang K, Baba M, Bartholomew C, Lynch Day M, Du Z, et al. A genomic screen for yeast mutants defective in selective mitochondria autophagy. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:4730-8 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, we have named this gene ATG33. The new mutants identified in this analysis will provide a useful foundation for researchers interested in the study of mitochondrial homeostasis and quality control. ..
- Sakoh Nakatogawa M, Matoba K, Asai E, Kirisako H, Ishii J, Noda N, et al. Atg12-Atg5 conjugate enhances E2 activity of Atg3 by rearranging its catalytic site. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2013;20:433-9 pubmed publisherTwo autophagy-related ubiquitin-like systems have unique features: the E2 enzyme Atg3 conjugates the ubiquitin-like protein Atg8 to the lipid phosphatidylethanolamine, and the other ubiquitin-like protein conjugate Atg12-Atg5 promotes ..
- Sakakibara K, Eiyama A, Suzuki S, Sakoh Nakatogawa M, Okumura N, Tani M, et al. Phospholipid methylation controls Atg32-mediated mitophagy and Atg8 recycling. EMBO J. 2015;34:2703-19 pubmed publisher..Amelioration of Atg32 expression and attenuation of Atg8-PMME conjugation markedly rescue mitophagy in opi3-null cells. We propose that proper regulation of phospholipid methylation is crucial for Atg32-mediated mitophagy. ..
- Zens B, Sawa Makarska J, Martens S. In vitro systems for Atg8 lipidation. Methods. 2015;75:37-43 pubmed publisher..The assays enable the study of the biochemical mechanisms of action of the Atg8 lipidation machinery and to analyze the impact of mutations and post-translational modifications of the conjugation machinery on Atg8 lipidation. ..
- Hong S, Kim B, Kim J, Song H. Structure of the autophagic E2 enzyme Atg10. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2012;68:1409-17 pubmed..The core fold of yeast Atg10 is well conserved compared with those of Atg3 and other E2 enzymes...
- Mijaljica D, Prescott M, Devenish R. A late form of nucleophagy in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40013 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the inhibition of LN in some mutants is accompanied by alterations in nuclear morphology. ..
- Yi C, Ma M, Ran L, Zheng J, Tong J, Zhu J, et al. Function and molecular mechanism of acetylation in autophagy regulation. Science. 2012;336:474-7 pubmed publisher..We further identified the autophagy signaling component Atg3 as a substrate for Esa1...
- Jotwani A, Richerson D, Motta I, Julca Zevallos O, Melia T. Approaches to the study of Atg8-mediated membrane dynamics in vitro. Methods Cell Biol. 2012;108:93-116 pubmed publisher..We then describe methods to study Atg8-PE mediated membrane tethering and fusion, two functions implicated in Atg8's role in autophagosome maturation. ..
- Schlumpberger M, Schaeffeler E, Straub M, Bredschneider M, Wolf D, Thumm M. AUT1, a gene essential for autophagocytosis in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:1068-76 pubmed..The AUT1 gene, essential for autophagy, was isolated by complementation of the sporulation deficiency of a diploid aut1-1 ..
- Komatsu M, Tanida I, Ueno T, Ohsumi M, Ohsumi Y, Kominami E. The C-terminal region of an Apg7p/Cvt2p is required for homodimerization and is essential for its E1 activity and E1-E2 complex formation. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:9846-54 pubmed..These results suggest that Apg7p forms a homodimer via the C-terminal region and that the C-terminal region is essential for both the activity of the E1 enzyme for Apg12p and Apg8p as well as the formation of an E1-E2 complex for Apg8p. ..
- Kaiser S, Mao K, Taherbhoy A, Yu S, Olszewski J, Duda D, et al. Noncanonical E2 recruitment by the autophagy E1 revealed by Atg7-Atg3 and Atg7-Atg10 structures. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2012;19:1242-9 pubmed publisher..cascades, in which a homodimeric E1 enzyme, Atg7, directs the UBLs Atg8 and Atg12 to their respective E2 enzymes, Atg3 and Atg10...
- Kario E, Amar N, Elazar Z, Navon A. A new autophagy-related checkpoint in the degradation of an ERAD-M target. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:11479-91 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate a new conduit for the selective vacuolar/lysosomal removal of ERAD misfolded proteins by an autophagy-related machinery acting concomitantly with the proteasome. ..
- Lu K, Psakhye I, Jentsch S. Autophagic clearance of polyQ proteins mediated by ubiquitin-Atg8 adaptors of the conserved CUET protein family. Cell. 2014;158:549-63 pubmed publisher..We thus propose that CUET proteins play a critical and ancient role in autophagic clearance of cytotoxic protein aggregates. ..
- Ngu M, Hirata E, Suzuki K. Visualization of Atg3 during autophagosome formation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:8146-53 pubmed publisher..b>Atg3 is an E2-like enzyme that catalyzes the conjugation reaction between Atg8 and PE...
- Sakoh Nakatogawa M, Kirisako H, Nakatogawa H, Ohsumi Y. Localization of Atg3 to autophagy-related membranes and its enhancement by the Atg8-family interacting motif to promote expansion of the membranes. FEBS Lett. 2015;589:744-9 pubmed publisherThe E2 enzyme Atg3 conjugates the ubiquitin-like protein Atg8 to phosphatidylethanolamine (PE) to drive autophagosome formation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Popelka H, Uversky V, Klionsky D. Identification of Atg3 as an intrinsically disordered polypeptide yields insights into the molecular dynamics of autophagy-related proteins in yeast. Autophagy. 2014;10:1093-104 pubmed publisher..In this work, we characterized the autophagy protein Atg3 from yeast and human along with 2 variants to show that Atg3 is an IDPRs-containing protein and that disorder/order ..
- Yamaguchi M, Noda N, Nakatogawa H, Kumeta H, Ohsumi Y, Inagaki F. Autophagy-related protein 8 (Atg8) family interacting motif in Atg3 mediates the Atg3-Atg8 interaction and is crucial for the cytoplasm-to-vacuole targeting pathway. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:29599-607 pubmed publisher..b>Atg3 is an E2-like enzyme that conjugates Atg8 with phosphatidylethanolamine...
- Maeda Y, Oku M, Sakai Y. A defect of the vacuolar putative lipase Atg15 accelerates degradation of lipid droplets through lipolysis. Autophagy. 2015;11:1247-58 pubmed publisher..Our data provide evidence for a novel link between autophagic flux and LD dynamics integrated with Atg15 activity. ..
- Yamazaki Sato H, Tanida I, Ueno T, Kominami E. The carboxyl terminal 17 amino acids within Apg7 are essential for Apg8 lipidation, but not for Apg12 conjugation. FEBS Lett. 2003;551:71-7 pubmed..Mutant Apg7DeltaC17 protein is still able to interact with Apg8, Apg12 and Apg3, and forms a homodimer, indicating that the deletion of the carboxyl terminal 17 amino acids has little effect on ..