Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ATG17
Description: protein kinase regulatory subunit ATG17
Alias: APG17, protein kinase regulatory subunit ATG17
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Kamada Y, Yoshino K, Kondo C, Kawamata T, Oshiro N, Yonezawa K, et al. Tor directly controls the Atg1 kinase complex to regulate autophagy. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:1049-58 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the direct control of the Atg1 complex by TORC1 induces autophagy. ..
- Sekito T, Kawamata T, Ichikawa R, Suzuki K, Ohsumi Y. Atg17 recruits Atg9 to organize the pre-autophagosomal structure. Genes Cells. 2009;14:525-38 pubmed publisher..Here, we demonstrate that, in autophagy-inducing condition, Atg9 is recruited to the PAS in a manner dependent on Atg17. Atg9 physically interacts with Atg17 in the presence of rapamycin...
- Yen W, Shintani T, Nair U, Cao Y, Richardson B, Li Z, et al. The conserved oligomeric Golgi complex is involved in double-membrane vesicle formation during autophagy. J Cell Biol. 2010;188:101-14 pubmed publisher..In addition, mutations in the COG genes resulted in the mislocalization of Atg8 and Atg9, which are critical components involved in autophagosome formation...
- Rao Y, Perna M, Hofmann B, Beier V, Wollert T. The Atg1-kinase complex tethers Atg9-vesicles to initiate autophagy. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10338 pubmed publisher..The scaffolding protein Atg17 targets the Atg1-kinase complex to autophagic membranes by specifically recognizing the membrane protein Atg9...
- Fujioka Y, Suzuki S, Yamamoto H, Kondo Kakuta C, Kimura Y, Hirano H, et al. Structural basis of starvation-induced assembly of the autophagy initiation complex. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2014;21:513-21 pubmed publisher..Starvation-induced dephosphorylation of Atg13 is required for the formation of the Atg1-Atg13-Atg17-Atg29-Atg31 complex (Atg1 complex), a prerequisite for PAS assembly...
- Mijaljica D, Prescott M, Devenish R. A late form of nucleophagy in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40013 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the inhibition of LN in some mutants is accompanied by alterations in nuclear morphology. ..
- Suzuki K, Morimoto M, Kondo C, Ohsumi Y. Selective autophagy regulates insertional mutagenesis by the Ty1 retrotransposon in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Dev Cell. 2011;21:358-65 pubmed publisher..We propose that selective autophagy safeguards genome integrity against excessive insertional mutagenesis caused during nutrient starvation by transposable elements in eukaryotic cells. ..
- Yeh Y, Shah K, Herman P. An Atg13 protein-mediated self-association of the Atg1 protein kinase is important for the induction of autophagy. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:28931-9 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, this Atg1 self-association does not require Atg17, suggesting that this second conserved regulator might activate Atg1 in a manner mechanistically distinct from ..
- Yeh Y, Wrasman K, Herman P. Autophosphorylation within the Atg1 activation loop is required for both kinase activity and the induction of autophagy in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2010;185:871-82 pubmed publisher..required the presence of a functional Atg1 kinase domain and two known regulators of Atg1 activity, Atg13 and Atg17. Interestingly, the levels of this modification were found to increase dramatically upon exposure to conditions ..
- Kanki T, Wang K, Baba M, Bartholomew C, Lynch Day M, Du Z, et al. A genomic screen for yeast mutants defective in selective mitochondria autophagy. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:4730-8 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, we have named this gene ATG33. The new mutants identified in this analysis will provide a useful foundation for researchers interested in the study of mitochondrial homeostasis and quality control. ..
- Yamamoto H, Fujioka Y, Suzuki S, Noshiro D, Suzuki H, Kondo Kakuta C, et al. The Intrinsically Disordered Protein Atg13 Mediates Supramolecular Assembly of Autophagy Initiation Complexes. Dev Cell. 2016;38:86-99 pubmed publisher..of the pre-autophagosomal structure (PAS), in which multiple Atg1 complexes (composed of Atg1, Atg13, and the Atg17-Atg29-Atg31 subcomplex) are initially engaged...
- Panasenko O, Collart M. Presence of Not5 and ubiquitinated Rps7A in polysome fractions depends upon the Not4 E3 ligase. Mol Microbiol. 2012;83:640-53 pubmed publisher..These results lead us to suggest that Not4 contributes to normal polysome levels and is important for cellular protein solubility maybe in part by ubiquitination of Rps7A. ..
- Liu X, Mao K, Yu A, Omairi Nasser A, Austin J, Glick B, et al. The Atg17-Atg31-Atg29 Complex Coordinates with Atg11 to Recruit the Vam7 SNARE and Mediate Autophagosome-Vacuole Fusion. Curr Biol. 2016;26:150-160 pubmed publisher..The Atg17-Atg31-Atg29 complex translocates to the phagophore assembly site (PAS), where an autophagosome forms, at a very ..
- Suzuki K, Akioka M, Kondo Kakuta C, Yamamoto H, Ohsumi Y. Fine mapping of autophagy-related proteins during autophagosome formation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:2534-44 pubmed publisher..The PAS scaffold proteins (Atg13 and Atg17) and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase complex I were localized to a position at the junction between the IM and the ..
- Mao K, Chew L, Inoue Aono Y, Cheong H, Nair U, Popelka H, et al. Atg29 phosphorylation regulates coordination of the Atg17-Atg31-Atg29 complex with the Atg11 scaffold during autophagy initiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:E2875-84 pubmed publisher..A complex composed of Atg17-Atg31-Atg29 is vital for PAS organization and autophagy induction, implying a significant role in autophagy ..
- Kabeya Y, Kamada Y, Baba M, Takikawa H, Sasaki M, Ohsumi Y. Atg17 functions in cooperation with Atg1 and Atg13 in yeast autophagy. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:2544-53 pubmed..In contrast, the ATG17 gene is required specifically in autophagy...
- Cao Y, Nair U, Yasumura Yorimitsu K, Klionsky D. A multiple ATG gene knockout strain for yeast two-hybrid analysis. Autophagy. 2009;5:699-705 pubmed..We also probed a new interaction using the MKO Y2H strain, and our results suggest that Atg29 and Atg31 interact independently of other known Atg proteins, and this interaction may mediate the interaction between Atg17 and Atg29.
- Maeda Y, Oku M, Sakai Y. A defect of the vacuolar putative lipase Atg15 accelerates degradation of lipid droplets through lipolysis. Autophagy. 2015;11:1247-58 pubmed publisher..Our data provide evidence for a novel link between autophagic flux and LD dynamics integrated with Atg15 activity. ..
- Chew L, Setiaputra D, Klionsky D, Yip C. Structural characterization of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae autophagy regulatory complex Atg17-Atg31-Atg29. Autophagy. 2013;9:1467-74 pubmed publisherb>Atg17, in complex with Atg29 and Atg31, constitutes a key module of the Atg1 kinase signaling complex and functions as an important organizer of the phagophore assembly site in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Chew L, Lu S, Liu X, Li F, Yu A, Klionsky D, et al. Molecular interactions of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae Atg1 complex provide insights into assembly and regulatory mechanisms. Autophagy. 2015;11:891-905 pubmed publisherThe Atg1 complex, which contains 5 major subunits: Atg1, Atg13, Atg17, Atg29, and Atg31, regulates the induction of autophagy and autophagosome formation...
- Kraft C, Kijanska M, Kalie E, Siergiejuk E, Lee S, Semplicio G, et al. Binding of the Atg1/ULK1 kinase to the ubiquitin-like protein Atg8 regulates autophagy. EMBO J. 2012;31:3691-703 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings define a conserved step in autophagy regulation in yeast and mammals and expand the known functions of LIR-dependent Atg8 targets to include spatial regulation of the Atg1/ULK1 kinase. ..
- Nakatogawa H, Ohbayashi S, Sakoh Nakatogawa M, Kakuta S, Suzuki S, Kirisako H, et al. The autophagy-related protein kinase Atg1 interacts with the ubiquitin-like protein Atg8 via the Atg8 family interacting motif to facilitate autophagosome formation. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:28503-7 pubmed publisher..We propose that in addition to its essential function in the initial stage, Atg1 also associates with the isolation membrane to promote its maturation into the autophagosome. ..
- Kabeya Y, Noda N, Fujioka Y, Suzuki K, Inagaki F, Ohsumi Y. Characterization of the Atg17-Atg29-Atg31 complex specifically required for starvation-induced autophagy in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;389:612-5 pubmed publisher..In the yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Atg17, Atg29, and Atg31/Cis1 are specifically required for autophagosome formation by acting as a scaffold complex ..
- Wang J, Menon S, Yamasaki A, Chou H, Walz T, Jiang Y, et al. Ypt1 recruits the Atg1 kinase to the preautophagosomal structure. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:9800-5 pubmed publisher..a conserved autophagy-specific guanine nucleotide exchange factor for Ypt1/Rab1, is recruited to the PAS by Atg17. We also show that activated Ypt1 recruits the putative membrane curvature sensor Atg1 to the PAS, bringing it ..
- Aguilar Lopez J, Laboy R, Jaimes Miranda F, Garay E, DeLuna A, Funes S. Slm35 links mitochondrial stress response and longevity through TOR signaling pathway. Aging (Albany NY). 2016;8:3255-3271 pubmed publisher..The results presented here suggest that Slm35 plays an important role connecting mitochondrial function with cytosolic responses and cell adaptation to stress and aging. ..
- Bahrami A, Lin M, Ren X, Hurley J, Hummer G. Scaffolding the cup-shaped double membrane in autophagy. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005817 pubmed publisher..In particular, the S-shaped Atg17-Atg31-Atg29 subcomplex of Atg1 is critical for phagophore nucleation at the PAS...