Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ATG12
Alias: APG12, Atg12p
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Hanada T, Noda N, Satomi Y, Ichimura Y, Fujioka Y, Takao T, et al. The Atg12-Atg5 conjugate has a novel E3-like activity for protein lipidation in autophagy. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:37298-302 pubmed..Autophagosome formation requires two ubiquitin-like conjugation systems, the Atg12 and Atg8 systems, which are tightly associated with expansion of autophagosomal membrane...
- Kaufmann A, Beier V, Franquelim H, Wollert T. Molecular mechanism of autophagic membrane-scaffold assembly and disassembly. Cell. 2014;156:469-81 pubmed publisher..Atg8 to phosphatidylethanolamine (Atg8-PE) in autophagic membranes by a complex consisting of Atg16 and the Atg12-Atg5 conjugate...
- Yen W, Shintani T, Nair U, Cao Y, Richardson B, Li Z, et al. The conserved oligomeric Golgi complex is involved in double-membrane vesicle formation during autophagy. J Cell Biol. 2010;188:101-14 pubmed publisher..In addition, mutations in the COG genes resulted in the mislocalization of Atg8 and Atg9, which are critical components involved in autophagosome formation...
- Komatsu M, Tanida I, Ueno T, Ohsumi M, Ohsumi Y, Kominami E. The C-terminal region of an Apg7p/Cvt2p is required for homodimerization and is essential for its E1 activity and E1-E2 complex formation. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:9846-54 pubmed..These results suggest that Apg7p forms a homodimer via the C-terminal region and that the C-terminal region is essential for both the activity of the E1 enzyme for Apg12p and Apg8p as well as the formation of an E1-E2 complex for Apg8p. ..
- Kanki T, Wang K, Baba M, Bartholomew C, Lynch Day M, Du Z, et al. A genomic screen for yeast mutants defective in selective mitochondria autophagy. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:4730-8 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, we have named this gene ATG33. The new mutants identified in this analysis will provide a useful foundation for researchers interested in the study of mitochondrial homeostasis and quality control. ..
- Hanada T, Ohsumi Y. Structure-function relationship of Atg12, a ubiquitin-like modifier essential for autophagy. Autophagy. 2005;1:110-8 pubmedb>Atg12, a post-translational modifier, is activated and conjugated to Atg5 by a ubiquitin-like conjugation system, though it has no obvious sequence homology to ubiquitin...
- Yamazaki Sato H, Tanida I, Ueno T, Kominami E. The carboxyl terminal 17 amino acids within Apg7 are essential for Apg8 lipidation, but not for Apg12 conjugation. FEBS Lett. 2003;551:71-7 pubmedIn the yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, two ubiquitin-like modifications, Apg12 conjugation with Apg5 and Apg8 lipidation with phosphatidylethanolamine, are essential for autophagy and the cytoplasm-to-vacuole transport of aminopeptidase ..
- Suzuki K, Akioka M, Kondo Kakuta C, Yamamoto H, Ohsumi Y. Fine mapping of autophagy-related proteins during autophagosome formation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:2534-44 pubmed publisher..By contrast, Atg1, Atg8 and the Atg16-Atg12-Atg5 complex were present at both the VICS and the cup-shaped IM. We designate this localization the 'IM' pattern...
- Maeda Y, Oku M, Sakai Y. A defect of the vacuolar putative lipase Atg15 accelerates degradation of lipid droplets through lipolysis. Autophagy. 2015;11:1247-58 pubmed publisher..Our data provide evidence for a novel link between autophagic flux and LD dynamics integrated with Atg15 activity. ..
- Mijaljica D, Prescott M, Devenish R. A late form of nucleophagy in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40013 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the inhibition of LN in some mutants is accompanied by alterations in nuclear morphology. ..
- Noda N, Fujioka Y, Hanada T, Ohsumi Y, Inagaki F. Structure of the Atg12-Atg5 conjugate reveals a platform for stimulating Atg8-PE conjugation. EMBO Rep. 2013;14:206-11 pubmed publisherb>Atg12 is conjugated to Atg5 through enzymatic reactions similar to ubiquitination...
- Millson S, van Oosten Hawle P, Alkuriji M, Truman A, Siderius M, Piper P. Cdc37 engages in stable, S14A mutation-reinforced association with the most atypical member of the yeast kinome, Cdk-activating kinase (Cak1). Cell Stress Chaperones. 2014;19:695-703 pubmed publisher..Thus, this is the first Cdc37 client kinase found to be excluded from S14 phosphorylation-dependent interaction. The unusual stability of this Cak1:Cdc37 association may partly reflect unique structural features of the fungal Cak1. ..
- Zens B, Sawa Makarska J, Martens S. In vitro systems for Atg8 lipidation. Methods. 2015;75:37-43 pubmed publisher..of two ubiquitin-like conjugation reactions that collectively mediate the conjugation of the ubiquitin-like Atg12 to the Atg5 protein and of the ubiquitin-like protein Atg8 to the headgroup of the membrane lipid ..
- Fracchiolla D, Sawa Makarska J, Zens B, Ruiter A, Zaffagnini G, Brezovich A, et al. Mechanism of cargo-directed Atg8 conjugation during selective autophagy. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Atg19, Atg34 and the human p62, Optineurin and NDP52 cargo receptors interact with the E3-like enzyme Atg12~Atg5-Atg16, which stimulates Atg8 conjugation...
- Kuma A, Mizushima N, Ishihara N, Ohsumi Y. Formation of the approximately 350-kDa Apg12-Apg5.Apg16 multimeric complex, mediated by Apg16 oligomerization, is essential for autophagy in yeast. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:18619-25 pubmed..This process requires a ubiquitin-like protein conjugation system, in which Apg12 is covalently bound to Apg5...