Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: AFG3
Description: AAA family ATPase AFG3
Alias: YTA10, AAA family ATPase AFG3
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Suppanz I, Wurm C, Wenzel D, Jakobs S. The m-AAA protease processes cytochrome c peroxidase preferentially at the inner boundary membrane of mitochondria. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:572-80 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that protein quality control and proteolytic activation exerted by the m-AAA protease take place preferentially in the IBM pointing to significant functional differences between the IBM and the CM. ..
- Tauer R, Mannhaupt G, Schnall R, Pajic A, Langer T, Feldmann H. Yta10p, a member of a novel ATPase family in yeast, is essential for mitochondrial function. FEBS Lett. 1994;353:197-200 pubmedThe yeast gene, YTA10, encodes a member of a novel family of putative ATPases. Yta10p, as deduced from the nucleotide sequence, is 761 amino acids in length (predicted molecular mass 84.5 kDa)...
- Lee S, Lee H, Yoo S, Kim H. Molecular insights into the m-AAA protease-mediated dislocation of transmembrane helices in the mitochondrial inner membrane. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:20058-20066 pubmed publisher..a conserved hetero-hexameric AAA (ATPase associated with diverse cellular activities) protease, composed of the Yta10 and Yta12 proteins, regulates mitochondrial proteostasis by mediating protein maturation and degradation...
- Breker M, Gymrek M, Schuldiner M. A novel single-cell screening platform reveals proteome plasticity during yeast stress responses. J Cell Biol. 2013;200:839-50 pubmed publisher..These include bet-hedging strategies, organelle rearrangement, and redistribution of protein localizations. All data are available for download through our online database, LOQATE (localization and quantitation atlas of yeast proteome). ..
- Lee S, Augustin S, Tatsuta T, Gerdes F, Langer T, Tsai F. Electron cryomicroscopy structure of a membrane-anchored mitochondrial AAA protease. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:4404-11 pubmed publisher..Here, we have analyzed the hetero-oligomeric yeast m-AAA protease composed of homologous Yta10 and Yta12 subunits...
- Augustin S, Gerdes F, Lee S, Tsai F, Langer T, Tatsuta T. An intersubunit signaling network coordinates ATP hydrolysis by m-AAA proteases. Mol Cell. 2009;35:574-85 pubmed publisher..These findings provide insight into how AAA+ proteins convert energy derived from ATP hydrolysis into mechanical work. ..
- Tatsuta T, Model K, Langer T. Formation of membrane-bound ring complexes by prohibitins in mitochondria. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:248-59 pubmed..Implications of these findings for proposed cellular activities of prohibitins are discussed. ..
- Kaser M, Kambacheld M, Kisters Woike B, Langer T. Oma1, a novel membrane-bound metallopeptidase in mitochondria with activities overlapping with the m-AAA protease. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:46414-23 pubmed..Proteins homologous to Oma1 are present in higher eukaryotic cells, eubacteria and archaebacteria, suggesting that Oma1 is the founding member of a conserved family of membrane-embedded metallopeptidases. ..
- Arlt H, Steglich G, Perryman R, Guiard B, Neupert W, Langer T. The formation of respiratory chain complexes in mitochondria is under the proteolytic control of the m-AAA protease. EMBO J. 1998;17:4837-47 pubmed..Deletion of YTA10 or YTA12 impairs degradation of non-assembled inner membrane proteins and assembly of respiratory chain complexes...
- Nolden M, Ehses S, Koppen M, Bernacchia A, Rugarli E, Langer T. The m-AAA protease defective in hereditary spastic paraplegia controls ribosome assembly in mitochondria. Cell. 2005;123:277-89 pubmed..Our findings therefore rationalize mitochondrial defects associated with m-AAA protease mutants in yeast and shed new light on the mechanism of axonal degeneration in HSP. ..
- Chen X, Moerschell R, Pearce D, Ramanan D, Sherman F. Enhanced mitochondrial degradation of yeast cytochrome c with amphipathic structures. Curr Genet. 2005;47:67-83 pubmed..Most importantly, ADD appeared to be specifically suppressed to various extents by deletions of any of the YME1, AFG3, or RCA1 genes encoding membrane-associated mitochondrial proteases, probably because the amphipathic structures ..
- Lemaire C, Hamel P, Velours J, Dujardin G. Absence of the mitochondrial AAA protease Yme1p restores F0-ATPase subunit accumulation in an oxa1 deletion mutant of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:23471-5 pubmed..In addition, although respiratory function is dispensable in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, we show that the simultaneous inactivation of AFG3 and YME1 is lethal and that the essential function does not reside in their protease activity.
- Rep M, Nooy J, Guelin E, Grivell L. Three genes for mitochondrial proteins suppress null-mutations in both Afg3 and Rca1 when over-expressed. Curr Genet. 1996;30:206-11 pubmedThe AFG3 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae encodes a mitochondrial inner membrane protein with ATP-dependent protease activity...
- Guelin E, Rep M, Grivell L. Sequence of the AFG3 gene encoding a new member of the FtsH/Yme1/Tma subfamily of the AAA-protein family. Yeast. 1994;10:1389-94 pubmed..This newly sequenced gene, which we have designated AFG3 for ATPase family gene 3, encodes a putative mitochondrial protein of 760 amino acid residues that is closely ..
- Dunn C, Tamura Y, Sesaki H, Jensen R. Mgr3p and Mgr1p are adaptors for the mitochondrial i-AAA protease complex. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:5387-97 pubmed publisher..We speculate that Mgr3p and Mgr1p function in an adaptor complex that targets substrates to the i-AAA protease for degradation. ..
- Korbel D, Wurth S, Kaser M, Langer T. Membrane protein turnover by the m-AAA protease in mitochondria depends on the transmembrane domains of its subunits. EMBO Rep. 2004;5:698-703 pubmed..Here, we have analysed the role of the membrane-spanning domains of Yta10 and Yta12, which are conserved subunits of the hetero-oligomeric m-AAA protease in the mitochondria of ..
- Delaney J, Ahmed U, Chou A, Sim S, Carr D, Murakami C, et al. Stress profiling of longevity mutants identifies Afg3 as a mitochondrial determinant of cytoplasmic mRNA translation and aging. Aging Cell. 2013;12:156-66 pubmed publisher..Unexpectedly, cells lacking the mitochondrial AAA protease gene AFG3 clustered strongly with long-lived strains lacking cytosolic ribosomal proteins of the large subunit...
- Esser K, Tursun B, Ingenhoven M, Michaelis G, Pratje E. A novel two-step mechanism for removal of a mitochondrial signal sequence involves the mAAA complex and the putative rhomboid protease Pcp1. J Mol Biol. 2002;323:835-43 pubmed..The mAAA protease subunits Yta10 (Afg3) and Yta12 (Rca1) were identified both to be essential for the first processing step...
- Arlt H, Tauer R, Feldmann H, Neupert W, Langer T. The YTA10-12 complex, an AAA protease with chaperone-like activity in the inner membrane of mitochondria. Cell. 1996;85:875-85 pubmed..As an ATP dependent metallopeptidase (AAA protease), the YTA10-12 complex mediates the degradation of nonassembled inner membrane proteins...