Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: rpsU
Description: 30S ribosomal subunit protein S21
Alias: ECK3055, JW3037
- Determination of the complete amino acid sequence of protein S21 from Escherichia coli ribosomesJ Vandekerckhove
Hoppe Seylers Z Physiol Chem 356:1955-76. 1975..It contains neither Met nor Trp. The molecular weight amounts to 8359. Clustering of basic amino acids is observed in five regions. We also include a prediction for regions with alpha-helices and with beta-sheets...
- The gene for ribosomal protein S21, rpsU, maps close to dnaG at 66.5 min on the Escherichia coli chromosomal linkage mapE R Dabbs
J Bacteriol 144:603-7. 1980..5 min on the Escherichia coli chromosomal linkage map. They cotransduced about 95% with this marker. These mutations define gene rpsU, which is very likely the structural gene for protein S21.
- Photochemical cross-linking of initiation factor-3 to Escherichia coli 30 S ribosomal subunitsL A MacKeen
J Biol Chem 255:10526-31. 1980..The target proteins have been identified as S7, S11, S12, S18, and S21 by immunochemical techniques...
- IF-3 crosslinking to Escherichia coli ribosomal 30 S subunits by three different light-dependent procedures: identification of 30 S proteins crosslinked to IF-3--utilization of a new two-stage crosslinking reagent, p-nitrobenzylmaleimideB S Cooperman
Arch Biochem Biophys 208:554-62. 1981
- Selective decay of Escherichia coli dnaG messenger RNA is initiated by RNase EV Yajnik
Department of Biochemistry, New York University Medical Center, New York 10016
J Biol Chem 268:13253-60. 1993The rpsU-dnaG-rpoD operon messenger RNA that encodes S21, primase, and sigma-70 is cleaved under normal physiological conditions. The dnaG coding portion of the mRNA is then rapidly degraded...
- The DnaK chaperone system facilitates 30S ribosomal subunit assemblyJennifer A Maki
Department of Biochemistry, Biophysics, and Molecular Biology, Iowa State University, Ames 50011, USA
Mol Cell 10:129-38. 2002..These studies reveal a novel role for the DnaK/hsp70 chaperone system, in addition to its well-documented role in protein folding, and suggest that 30S subunit assembly can be facilitated...
- Studies of the interaction of Escherichia coli YjeQ with the ribosome in vitroDenis M Daigle
Antimicrobial Research Centre, Department of Biochemistry, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8N 3Z5
J Bacteriol 186:1381-7. 2004..Taken together, these data indicate that the YjeQ protein participates in a guanine nucleotide-dependent interaction with the ribosome and implicate this conserved, essential GTPase as a novel factor in ribosome function...
- A novel GTPase activated by the small subunit of ribosomeHyouta Himeno
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Faculty of Agriculture and Life Science, Hirosaki University, Hirosaki 036 8561, Japan
Nucleic Acids Res 32:5303-9. 2004..We also found that 17S RNA, a putative precursor of 16S rRNA, was contained in the small subunit of the ribosome from the RsgA-deletion strain. RsgA is a novel GTPase that might provide a new insight into the function of ribosome...
- The 30S ribosomal P site: a function of 16S rRNAHarry F Noller
Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, Center for Molecular Biology of RNA, University of California at Santa Cruz, CA 95064, USA
FEBS Lett 579:855-8. 2005..Deletion of these tails now shows that the 16S rRNA contacts alone are sufficient to support protein synthesis in living cells...
- Conformation of 4.5S RNA in the signal recognition particle and on the 30S ribosomal subunitShan Qing Gu
Institute of Molecular Biology, University of Witten Herdecke, Stockumer Str 10, 58448 Witten, Germany
RNA 11:1374-84. 2005..The functional role of 4.5S RNA binding to the 30S subunit is unclear, as the RNA had no effect on translation or tRNA translocation on the ribosome...
- Essentiality of ribosomal and transcription antitermination proteins analyzed by systematic gene replacement in Escherichia coliMikhail Bubunenko
Molecular Control and Genetics Section, Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology Laboratory, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute at Frederick, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
J Bacteriol 189:2844-53. 2007..Interestingly, although most 30S ribosomal proteins were essential, the knockouts of six ribosomal protein genes, rpsF (S6), rpsI (S9), rpsM (S13), rpsO (S15), rpsQ (S17), and rpsT (S20), were viable...
- The tri-frame modelElsje Pienaar
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, University of Nebraska, 211 Othmer Hall, Lincoln, NE 68588 0643, USA
J Theor Biol 251:616-27. 2008..The theory is demonstrated for the three genes rpsU, dnaG and rpoD of Escherichia coli, which lie on the same operon, as well as for the prfB gene.
- Regulation of the rpsU-dnaG-rpoD macromolecular synthesis operon and the initiation of DNA replication in Escherichia coli K-12J R Lupski
Mol Gen Genet 189:48-57. 1983..in the gene fusion experiments, 2) an open reading frame between these promoters and the dnaG gene which is the rpsU (ribosomal protein S21) gene, 3) a sequence homologous to the lambda nut site, 4) a possible LexA protein binding ..
- Ribosomal localization of the mRNA in the 30S initiation complex as revealed by UV crosslinkingR Brandt
Max Planck Institut fur Molekulare Genetik, Berlin, Germany
FEBS Lett 311:199-202. 1992....
- Use of the polymerase chain reaction for physical mapping of Escherichia coli genesJ Versalovic
Institute for Molecular Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
J Bacteriol 173:5253-5. 1991
- Fluorescence study of the topology of messenger RNA bound to the 30S ribosomal subunit of Escherichia coliJ Czworkowski
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Texas, Austin 78712
Biochemistry 30:4821-30. 1991..By using the distances calculated from energy transfer between the 3' end of 16S rRNA and the ends of RNAs of varying lengths, a topological map of this region of mRNA on the 30S subunit was constructed...
- Interaction of ribosomal proteins S5, S6, S11, S12, S18 and S21 with 16 S rRNAS Stern
Thimann Laboratories, University of California, Santa Cruz 95064
J Mol Biol 201:683-95. 1988..Altogether these results show that many of the small subunit proteins, which have previously been shown to be functionally important, appear to be associated with functionally implicated segments of 16 S rRNA...
- Cloning and characterization of the Escherichia coli phosphoglycerate kinase (pgk) geneL J Nellemann
Department of Microbiology, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby
Gene 77:185-91. 1989..Bacteriol. 154 (1987) 336-343]. The pgk gene was also found to show growth phase regulation; the synthesis of Pgk protein was induced more than ten-fold during transition from the exponential to the stationary growth phase...
- Nucleotide sequence of the rpsU-dnaG-rpoD operon from Salmonella typhimurium and a comparison of this sequence with the homologous operon of Escherichia coliB D Erickson
Gene 40:67-78. 1985In Escherichia coli the genes encoding ribosomal protein S21 (rpsU), DNA primase (dnaG), and the 70-kDal sigma subunit of RNA polymerase (rpoD) are contained in a single operon...
- Possible new genes as revealed by molecular analysis of a 5-kb Escherichia coli chromosomal region 5' to the rpsU-dnaG-rpoD macromolecular-synthesis operonM Nesin
Gene 51:149-61. 1987The complete nucleotide sequence of 5-kb DNA fragment immediately 5' to the rpsU-dnaG-rpoD macromolecular-synthesis operon in Escherichia coli has been determined. It encodes for six open reading frames...
- The operon that encodes the sigma subunit of RNA polymerase also encodes ribosomal protein S21 and DNA primase in E. coli K12Z F Burton
Cell 32:335-49. 1983..Within the sequence upstream from rpoD, we have identified the structural genes rpsU and dnaG, which encode the 30S ribosomal protein S21 and DNA primase, respectively...
- Promotion, termination, and anti-termination in the rpsU-dnaG-rpoD macromolecular synthesis operon of E. coli K-12J R Lupski
Mol Gen Genet 195:391-401. 1984The regulatory regions for the rpsU-dnaG-rpoD macromolecular synthesis operon have been fused to a structural gene whose product is readily assayed (the Cmr structural gene coding for chloramphenicol acetyl transferase, CAT)...
- Concurrent nucleation of 16S folding and induced fit in 30S ribosome assemblyTadepalli Adilakshmi
T C Jenkins Department of Biophysics, Johns Hopkins University, 3400 North Charles Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21218 2685, USA
Nature 455:1268-72. 2008..Although early steps in assembly are linked to intrinsically stable rRNA structure, later steps correspond to regions of induced fit between the proteins and the rRNA...