Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Wnt7a
Description: Wnt family member 7A
Alias: protein Wnt-7a, wingless-related MMTV integration site 7A, wingless-type MMTV integration site 7A, wingless-type MMTV integration site family, member 7A
- Parr B, McMahon A. Dorsalizing signal Wnt-7a required for normal polarity of D-V and A-P axes of mouse limb. Nature. 1995;374:350-3 pubmed..Many mutant mice also lack posterior digits, demonstrating that Wnt-7a is also required for anterior-posterior patterning. We propose that normal limb development requires interactions between the signalling systems for these two axes. ..
- Zhou S, Eid K, Glowacki J. Cooperation between TGF-beta and Wnt pathways during chondrocyte and adipocyte differentiation of human marrow stromal cells. J Bone Miner Res. 2004;19:463-70 pubmed..RT-PCR, and Western blot, TGF-beta activated genes in the TGF-beta/Smad pathway, upregulated Wnt2, Wnt4, Wnt5a, Wnt7a, Wnt10a, and Wnt co-receptor LRP5, and increased nuclear accumulation and stability of beta-catenin in KM101 cells...
- Adamska M, MacDonald B, Sarmast Z, Oliver E, Meisler M. En1 and Wnt7a interact with Dkk1 during limb development in the mouse. Dev Biol. 2004;272:134-44 pubmed..Missing digits are one consequence of the reduced Wnt signaling in Wnt7a null mice, while extra digits result from excess Wnt signaling in mice null for the Wnt antagonist Dkk1...
- Davis E, Zou Y, Ghosh A. Wnts acting through canonical and noncanonical signaling pathways exert opposite effects on hippocampal synapse formation. Neural Dev. 2008;3:32 pubmed publisher..We used in situ hybridization to show that several Wnt ligands (Wnt3, Wnt5a, Wnt7a, and Wnt7b) and their receptors, Frizzled, are expressed in the developing hippocampus during the period of ..
- Lucas F, Salinas P. WNT-7a induces axonal remodeling and increases synapsin I levels in cerebellar neurons. Dev Biol. 1997;192:31-44 pubmed..These results suggest a direct effect of WNT-7a in the regulation of neuronal cytoskeleton and synapsin I in granule cell neurons. We propose that WNT proteins have a novel function in the formation of neuronal connections. ..
- Jin E, Lee S, Choi Y, Jung J, Bang O, Kang S. BMP-2-enhanced chondrogenesis involves p38 MAPK-mediated down-regulation of Wnt-7a pathway. Mol Cells. 2006;22:353-9 pubmed..Our results collectively indicate that the increase in Sox9 protein resulting from downregulation of b-catenin/Wnt-7a signaling is mediated by p38 MAPK during BMP-2 induced chondrogenesis in chick wing bud mesenchymal cells. ..
- Ciani L, Boyle K, Dickins E, Sahores M, Anane D, Lopes D, et al. Wnt7a signaling promotes dendritic spine growth and synaptic strength through Ca²?/Calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:10732-7 pubmed publisher..Here, we demonstrate that Wnt7a preferentially stimulates excitatory synapse formation and function...
- Caricasole A, Ferraro T, Iacovelli L, Barletta E, Caruso A, Melchiorri D, et al. Functional characterization of WNT7A signaling in PC12 cells: interaction with A FZD5 x LRP6 receptor complex and modulation by Dickkopf proteins. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:37024-31 pubmed..b>WNT7A is a WNT family member expressed in the vertebrate central nervous system capable of modulating aspects of ..
- Katoh M, Katoh M. Comparative genomics on Wnt7a orthologs. Oncol Rep. 2005;13:777-80 pubmedWNT and Hedgehog signaling pathways network together during carcinogenesis and embryogenesis. WNT7A mRNA is expressed in human gastric and pancreatic cancer cells...
- Adamska M, Billi A, Cheek S, Meisler M. Genetic interaction between Wnt7a and Lrp6 during patterning of dorsal and posterior structures of the mouse limb. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:368-72 pubmedb>Wnt7a and the Wnt coreceptor Lrp6 are both required for development of posterior digits and dorsal structures of the limb...
- Cygan J, Johnson R, McMahon A. Novel regulatory interactions revealed by studies of murine limb pattern in Wnt-7a and En-1 mutants. Development. 1997;124:5021-32 pubmed..Unlike the normal AER, ectopic AER formation is dependent upon Wnt-7a activity, indicating that distinct genetic mechanisms may be involved in primary and secondary AER formation. ..
- Caruso A, Motolese M, Iacovelli L, Caraci F, Copani A, Nicoletti F, et al. Inhibition of the canonical Wnt signaling pathway by apolipoprotein E4 in PC12 cells. J Neurochem. 2006;98:364-71 pubmed..Only the conditioned medium collected from cultures transfected with ApoE4 induced a significant inhibition of Wnt7a-stimulated gene expression, confirming that ApoE4 has an extracellular action that is not shared by the other ApoE ..
- Lyu J, Joo C. Expression of Wnt and MMP in epithelial cells during corneal wound healing. Cornea. 2006;25:S24-8 pubmed..These results indicate that Wnt proteins and MMP-12 regulate the proliferation of corneal epithelial cells and that Wnt signaling contributes to the resurfacing of defective areas during corneal wound healing. ..
- Kobayashi A, Shawlot W, Kania A, Behringer R. Requirement of Lim1 for female reproductive tract development. Development. 2004;131:539-49 pubmed..These studies demonstrate an essential role for Lim1 in female reproductive tract development...
- Spinsanti P, De Vita T, Caruso A, Melchiorri D, Misasi R, Caricasole A, et al. Differential activation of the calcium/protein kinase C and the canonical beta-catenin pathway by Wnt1 and Wnt7a produces opposite effects on cell proliferation in PC12 cells. J Neurochem. 2008;104:1588-98 pubmedWe examined the effect of Wnt1 and Wnt7a on cell proliferation using undifferentiated PC12 cells, which originate from the neural crest and are widely employed as a neuronal cell model...
- Farías G, Vallés A, Colombres M, Godoy J, Toledo E, Lukas R, et al. Wnt-7a induces presynaptic colocalization of alpha 7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptors and adenomatous polyposis coli in hippocampal neurons. J Neurosci. 2007;27:5313-25 pubmed..Modulation by Wnt signaling may be essential for alpha7-nAChR expression and function in synapses. ..
- Ohira T, Gemmill R, Ferguson K, Kusy S, Roche J, Brambilla E, et al. WNT7a induces E-cadherin in lung cancer cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:10429-34 pubmed..We previously reported that expression of WNT7a, encoded on 3p25, was frequently downregulated in lung cancer, and that loss of E-cadherin or beta-catenin was a ..
- Woods C, Stricker S, Seemann P, Stern R, Cox J, Sherridan E, et al. Mutations in WNT7A cause a range of limb malformations, including Fuhrmann syndrome and Al-Awadi/Raas-Rothschild/Schinzel phocomelia syndrome. Am J Hum Genet. 2006;79:402-8 pubmed..In families with these syndromes, we found homozygous missense mutations in the dorsoventral-patterning gene WNT7A and confirmed their functional significance in retroviral-mediated transfection of chicken mesenchyme cell ..
- Le Grand F, Jones A, Seale V, Scime A, Rudnicki M. Wnt7a activates the planar cell polarity pathway to drive the symmetric expansion of satellite stem cells. Cell Stem Cell. 2009;4:535-47 pubmed publisher..We found that quiescent satellite stem cells expressed the Wnt receptor Fzd7 and that its candidate ligand Wnt7a was upregulated during regeneration...
- Shimizu H, Julius M, Giarre M, Zheng Z, Brown A, Kitajewski J. Transformation by Wnt family proteins correlates with regulation of beta-catenin. Cell Growth Differ. 1997;8:1349-58 pubmed..These data also imply the existence of receptors that respond to certain Wnt proteins but not to others. ..
- Li S, Chiang T, Davis G, Williams R, Wilson V, McLachlan J. Decreased expression of Wnt7a mRNA is inversely associated with the expression of estrogen receptor-alpha in human uterine leiomyoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;86:454-7 pubmed..To explore the molecular mechanisms underlying the pathogenesis of uterine leiomyoma, the expression of Wnt7a mRNA in the leiomyoma has been assessed. RT-PCR was performed on uterine leiomyomas and the adjacent myometria...
- Daudet N, Ripoll C, Moles J, Rebillard G. Expression of members of Wnt and Frizzled gene families in the postnatal rat cochlea. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2002;105:98-107 pubmed..These results suggest that the Wnt-Frizzled signaling pathway could be involved in several aspects of late cochlear differentiation and/or auditory function. ..
- Carmon K, Loose D. Secreted frizzled-related protein 4 regulates two Wnt7a signaling pathways and inhibits proliferation in endometrial cancer cells. Mol Cancer Res. 2008;6:1017-28 pubmed publisher..Several lines of evidence support the hypothesis that Wnts participate in stromal-epithelial cell communication. Wnt7a is expressed in the luminal epithelium, whereas the extracellular modulator of Wnt signaling, secreted frizzled-..
- van Amerongen R, Mikels A, Nusse R. Alternative wnt signaling is initiated by distinct receptors. Sci Signal. 2008;1:re9 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss basic principles of signal transduction initiated at the cell membrane, with the Wnt pathway, which harbors a multitude of ligands and receptors, as an example. ..
- Viti J, Gulacsi A, Lillien L. Wnt regulation of progenitor maturation in the cortex depends on Shh or fibroblast growth factor 2. J Neurosci. 2003;23:5919-27 pubmed..5 were found preferentially in the SVZ at E16.5. These findings suggest that Wnts depend on Shh or FGF2 to promote progenitor maturation to an SVZ state in the embryonic cortex. ..
- Carta L, Sassoon D. Wnt7a is a suppressor of cell death in the female reproductive tract and is required for postnatal and estrogen-mediated growth. Biol Reprod. 2004;71:444-54 pubmed..We have previously described a role for Wnt7a in controlling morphogenesis in the uterus...