Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Wnt1
Description: Wnt family member 1
Alias: Int1, proto-oncogene Wnt-1, Wingless-type MMTV integration site 1, homolog, wingless-related MMTV integration site 1, wingless-type MMTV integration site family, member 1
- Keupp K, Beleggia F, Kayserili H, Barnes A, Steiner M, Semler O, et al. Mutations in WNT1 cause different forms of bone fragility. Am J Hum Genet. 2013;92:565-74 pubmed publisherWe report that hypofunctional alleles of WNT1 cause autosomal-recessive osteogenesis imperfecta, a congenital disorder characterized by reduced bone mass and recurrent fractures...
- Finch P, He X, Kelley M, Uren A, Schaudies R, Popescu N, et al. Purification and molecular cloning of a secreted, Frizzled-related antagonist of Wnt action. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:6770-5 pubmed..These results indicate that FRP may function as an inhibitor of Wnt action during development and in the adult. ..
- Brennan K, González Sancho J, Castelo Soccio L, Howe L, Brown A. Truncated mutants of the putative Wnt receptor LRP6/Arrow can stabilize beta-catenin independently of Frizzled proteins. Oncogene. 2004;23:4873-84 pubmed..this issue through a structure-function analysis of Frizzled and LRP proteins that have been implicated in Wnt1 signaling...
- Ayyanan A, Civenni G, Ciarloni L, Morel C, Mueller N, Lefort K, et al. Increased Wnt signaling triggers oncogenic conversion of human breast epithelial cells by a Notch-dependent mechanism. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:3799-804 pubmed
- Dassule H, McMahon A. Analysis of epithelial-mesenchymal interactions in the initial morphogenesis of the mammalian tooth. Dev Biol. 1998;202:215-27 pubmed..Thus, there are distinct targets for all three pathways. Interestingly, both Bmp and Wnt signaling activate Lef1, making it a candidate for integrating the two distinct signaling pathways. ..
- Pizzatti L, Binato R, Cofre J, Gomes B, Dobbin J, Haussmann M, et al. SUZ12 is a candidate target of the non-canonical WNT pathway in the progression of chronic myeloid leukemia. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2010;49:107-18 pubmed publisher..Finally, we suggest that SUZ12 is blocking cellular differentiation, as SUZ12 knockdown release differentiation programs in chronic myeloid blastic phase (CML-BP) transformed cell line. ..
- Xu Q, Wang Y, Dabdoub A, Smallwood P, Williams J, Woods C, et al. Vascular development in the retina and inner ear: control by Norrin and Frizzled-4, a high-affinity ligand-receptor pair. Cell. 2004;116:883-95 pubmed..These data define a Norrin-Fz4 signaling system that plays a central role in vascular development in the eye and ear, and they indicate that ligands unrelated to Wnts can act through Fz receptors. ..
- Panhuysen M, Vogt Weisenhorn D, Blanquet V, Brodski C, Heinzmann U, Beisker W, et al. Effects of Wnt1 signaling on proliferation in the developing mid-/hindbrain region. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2004;26:101-11 pubmedThe secreted glycoprotein WNT1 is expressed in the caudal midbrain and is essential for proper development of the entire mid-/hindbrain region...
- Rochat A, Fernandez A, Vandromme M, Moles J, Bouschet T, Carnac G, et al. Insulin and wnt1 pathways cooperate to induce reserve cell activation in differentiation and myotube hypertrophy. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:4544-55 pubmed..Similarly to the effect of GSK-3 inhibitors with insulin, coculturing C2 reserve cells with Wnt1-expressing fibroblasts enhanced insulin-stimulated induction of MyoD and myogenin in reserve cells...
- Barbolina M, Liu Y, Gurler H, Kim M, Kajdacsy Balla A, Rooper L, et al. Matrix rigidity activates Wnt signaling through down-regulation of Dickkopf-1 protein. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:141-51 pubmed publisher..Similar results were obtained in other tissue-invasive cells such as vascular endothelial cells, suggesting a novel mechanism for functional coupling of matrix adhesion with Wnt signaling. ..
- Prakash N, Brodski C, Naserke T, Puelles E, Gogoi R, Hall A, et al. A Wnt1-regulated genetic network controls the identity and fate of midbrain-dopaminergic progenitors in vivo. Development. 2006;133:89-98 pubmed..The secreted glycoprotein Wnt1 is expressed in close vicinity to developing midbrain dopaminergic neurons...
- Liu W, Rui H, Wang J, Lin S, He Y, Chen M, et al. Axin is a scaffold protein in TGF-beta signaling that promotes degradation of Smad7 by Arkadia. EMBO J. 2006;25:1646-58 pubmed..However, coexpression of Wnt-1 reduced Smad7 ubiquitination by downregulating Axin levels, underscoring the importance of Axin as an intrinsic regulator in TGF-beta signaling. ..
- McGowan S, Edelhauser H, Pfister R, Whikehart D. Stem cell markers in the human posterior limbus and corneal endothelium of unwounded and wounded corneas. Mol Vis. 2007;13:1984-2000 pubmed..It is suggested that stem cells reside in the posterior limbus and respond to corneal wounding to initiate an endothelial repair process. The stem cells may also contribute to a normal, slow replacement of corneal endothelial cells. ..
- Spinsanti P, De Vita T, Caruso A, Melchiorri D, Misasi R, Caricasole A, et al. Differential activation of the calcium/protein kinase C and the canonical beta-catenin pathway by Wnt1 and Wnt7a produces opposite effects on cell proliferation in PC12 cells. J Neurochem. 2008;104:1588-98 pubmedWe examined the effect of Wnt1 and Wnt7a on cell proliferation using undifferentiated PC12 cells, which originate from the neural crest and are widely employed as a neuronal cell model...
- Salazar K, Lankford S, Brody A. Mesenchymal stem cells produce Wnt isoforms and TGF-beta1 that mediate proliferation and procollagen expression by lung fibroblasts. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2009;297:L1002-11 pubmed publisher..In addition, anti-Wnt1 and anti-Wnt2 antibodies attenuated MSC-CM-induced proliferation, and increased expression of Wnt7b was identified...
- Austin T, Solar G, Ziegler F, Liem L, Matthews W. A role for the Wnt gene family in hematopoiesis: expansion of multilineage progenitor cells. Blood. 1997;89:3624-35 pubmed..We conclude that WNTs stimulate the survival/proliferation of hematopoietic progenitors, demonstrating that WNTs comprise a novel class of hematopoietic cell regulators. ..
- Lu W, Yamamoto V, Ortega B, Baltimore D. Mammalian Ryk is a Wnt coreceptor required for stimulation of neurite outgrowth. Cell. 2004;119:97-108 pubmed..Thus, Ryk appears to play a crucial role in Wnt-mediated signaling. ..
- Zhang L, Li K, Lv Z, Xiao X, Zheng J. The effect on cell growth by Wnt1 RNAi in human neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cell line. Pediatr Surg Int. 2009;25:1065-71 pubmed publisher..role that Wnt/beta-catenin plays in human neuroblastoma cell line SH-SY5Y, including detection of expression of wnt1 and beta-catenin in SH-SY5Y, and the morphological and proliferative changes after Wnt1 RNAi in SH-SY5Y...
- Fracalossi A, Silva M, Oshima C, Ribeiro D. Wnt/beta-catenin signalling pathway following rat tongue carcinogenesis induced by 4-nitroquinoline 1-oxide. Exp Mol Pathol. 2010;88:176-83 pubmed publisher..purpose of this study was to characterize the Wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathway as depicted by the expression of Wnt1, Frizzled-1, Wnt5a, Frizzled-5 and beta-catenin during 4NQO-induced rat tongue carcinogenesis by ..
- Lyons J, Mueller U, Ji H, Everett C, Fang X, Hsieh J, et al. Wnt-4 activates the canonical beta-catenin-mediated Wnt pathway and binds Frizzled-6 CRD: functional implications of Wnt/beta-catenin activity in kidney epithelial cells. Exp Cell Res. 2004;298:369-87 pubmed
- Muroyama Y, Fujihara M, Ikeya M, Kondoh H, Takada S. Wnt signaling plays an essential role in neuronal specification of the dorsal spinal cord. Genes Dev. 2002;16:548-53 pubmed..Here, we demonstrate that absence of Wnt1 and Wnt3a, normally expressed in the roof plate, leads to diminished development of D1 and D2 neurons and a ..
- Wong S, Lo S, Lee K, Yam J, Chan J, Wendy Hsiao W. Expression of frizzled-related protein and Wnt-signalling molecules in invasive human breast tumours. J Pathol. 2002;196:145-53 pubmed..This first systemic analysis of the Frp and the Wnt-signalling pathway in human breast cancer provides a springboard for further work on the role of Frp in the development of breast cancer. ..
- Wong G, Gavin B, McMahon A. Differential transformation of mammary epithelial cells by Wnt genes. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:6278-86 pubmed..These data demonstrate that the Wnt genes have distinct effects on cell growth and should not be regarded as functionally equivalent. ..
- Fan C, Lee C, Tessier Lavigne M. A role for WNT proteins in induction of dermomyotome. Dev Biol. 1997;191:160-5 pubmed..The documented expression of Wnt1 and Wnt3a in the dorsal neural tube and of Wnt4 and Wnt6 in the surface ectoderm at the time of dermomyotome ..
- Ross S, Hemati N, Longo K, Bennett C, Lucas P, Erickson R, et al. Inhibition of adipogenesis by Wnt signaling. Science. 2000;289:950-3 pubmed..Disruption of Wnt signaling also causes transdifferentiation of myoblasts into adipocytes in vitro, highlighting the importance of this pathway not only in adipocyte differentiation but also in mesodermal cell fate determination. ..
- Strovel E, Wu D, Sussman D. Protein phosphatase 2Calpha dephosphorylates axin and activates LEF-1-dependent transcription. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:2399-403 pubmed..PP2C utilizes Axin as a substrate both in vitro and in vivo and decreases its half-life. These results indicate that PP2C is a positive regulator of Wnt signal transduction and mediates its effects through the dephosphorylation of Axin. ..
- Ohira T, Gemmill R, Ferguson K, Kusy S, Roche J, Brambilla E, et al. WNT7a induces E-cadherin in lung cancer cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:10429-34 pubmed
- Hasan H, Abdel Rafei M, Galal S. Diosmin attenuates radiation-induced hepatic fibrosis by boosting PPAR-Î³ expression and hampering miR-17-5p-activated canonical Wnt-Î²-catenin signaling. Biochem Cell Biol. 2017;95:400-414 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that the stimulation of PPAR-Î³ expression and interference with miR-17-5p activated Wnt-Î²-catenin signaling mediates the antifibrotic properties of Dios. ..
- McMahon A, Moon R. int-1--a proto-oncogene involved in cell signalling. Development. 1989;107 Suppl:161-7 pubmed..This results in a striking and specific aberration, bifurcation of the anterior neural tube. Thus, it seems possible that in vertebrates int-1 is able to influence patterning events. ..
- Schryver B, Hinck L, Papkoff J. Properties of Wnt-1 protein that enable cell surface association. Oncogene. 1996;13:333-42 pubmed
- Yook J, Li X, Ota I, Hu C, Kim H, Kim N, et al. A Wnt-Axin2-GSK3beta cascade regulates Snail1 activity in breast cancer cells. Nat Cell Biol. 2006;8:1398-406 pubmed..As dysregulated Wnt signalling marks a diverse array of cancerous tissue types, the identification of a beta-catenin-TCF-regulated Axin2-GSK3beta-Snail1 axis provides new mechanistic insights into cancer-associated EMT programmes. ..
- Bafico A, Gazit A, Wu Morgan S, Yaniv A, Aaronson S. Characterization of Wnt-1 and Wnt-2 induced growth alterations and signaling pathways in NIH3T3 fibroblasts. Oncogene. 1998;16:2819-25 pubmed..These findings establish that both Wnt signaling and pattern of growth alterations differ from those of oncogenes which activate proliferative signaling pathways in NIH3T3 cells. ..
- Gazit A, Yaniv A, Bafico A, Pramila T, Igarashi M, Kitajewski J, et al. Human frizzled 1 interacts with transforming Wnts to transduce a TCF dependent transcriptional response. Oncogene. 1999;18:5959-66 pubmed..All of these findings provide strong evidence that Hfz1 is a functional partner for certain Wnts in inducing TCF dependent transcription. ..
- González Sancho J, Brennan K, Castelo Soccio L, Brown A. Wnt proteins induce dishevelled phosphorylation via an LRP5/6- independent mechanism, irrespective of their ability to stabilize beta-catenin. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:4757-68 pubmedWnt glycoproteins play essential roles in the development of metazoan organisms. Many Wnt proteins, such as Wnt1, activate the well-conserved canonical Wnt signaling pathway, which results in accumulation of beta-catenin in the cytosol ..
- Nam J, Turcotte T, Smith P, Choi S, Yoon J. Mouse cristin/R-spondin family proteins are novel ligands for the Frizzled 8 and LRP6 receptors and activate beta-catenin-dependent gene expression. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:13247-57 pubmed..Our findings expand the repertoire of ligands that induce beta-catenin/TCF-dependent gene activation and implicate the presence of active beta-catenin-dependent gene activation in a Wnt-free biological context. ..
- Capdevila J, Tabin C, Johnson R. Control of dorsoventral somite patterning by Wnt-1 and beta-catenin. Dev Biol. 1998;193:182-94 pubmed..Taken together, our results support a model for somite patterning where sclerotome formation is controlled by the antagonistic activities of Shh and Wnt signaling pathways. ..
- Du G, Du W, Liu J, Wang Y, Nie H, Zhang M, et al. Wnt1-overexpressing skeletal myoblasts as an improved cell therapy for cardiac repair following myocardial infarction. Panminerva Med. 2015;57:153-66 pubmed..In this study, we evaluate the therapeutic potential of SkMs genetically modified with Wnt1gene (Wnt1 SkMs) in a rat model with myocardial infarction (MI)...
- Dong L, Hao H, Xia L, Liu J, Ti D, Tong C, et al. Treatment of MSCs with Wnt1a-conditioned medium activates DP cells and promotes hair follicle regrowth. Sci Rep. 2014;4:5432 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals that BM-MSC-generated Wnt1a promotes the DP's ability to induce hair cycling and regeneration. ..
- Zhang Y, Huang Z, Liu S, Liu Y, Song A, Song X. WNT signaling underlies the pathogenesis of neuropathic pain in rodents. J Clin Invest. 2013;123:2268-86 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate a critical mechanism underlying the pathogenesis of neuropathic pain and suggest that targeting the WNT signaling pathway may be an effective approach for treating neuropathic pain, including bone cancer pain. ..
- Mao B, Wu W, Li Y, Hoppe D, Stannek P, Glinka A, et al. LDL-receptor-related protein 6 is a receptor for Dickkopf proteins. Nature. 2001;411:321-5 pubmed..Thus, DKKs inhibit Wnt co-receptor function, exemplifying the modulation of LRP signalling by antagonists. ..
- Subramaniam N, Sherman M, Rao R, Wilson C, Coulter S, Atkins A, et al. Metformin-mediated Bambi expression in hepatic stellate cells induces prosurvival Wnt/?-catenin signaling. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2012;5:553-61 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that AICAR and metformin may confer disease-specific therapeutic benefits. ..
- Danielian P, McMahon A. Engrailed-1 as a target of the Wnt-1 signalling pathway in vertebrate midbrain development. Nature. 1996;383:332-4 pubmed..This suggests that a key role of Wnt-1 signalling is to maintain En expression and that this aspect of the Wnt-1/engrailed interaction has been conserved from flies to mice. ..
- Villar J, Cabrera N, Valladares F, Casula M, Flores C, Blanch L, et al. Activation of the Wnt/?-catenin signaling pathway by mechanical ventilation is associated with ventilator-induced pulmonary fibrosis in healthy lungs. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23914 pubmed publisher..Modulation of this pathway might represent a therapeutic option for prevention and/or management of VILI. ..
- Adachi S, Jigami T, Yasui T, Nakano T, Ohwada S, Omori Y, et al. Role of a BCL9-related beta-catenin-binding protein, B9L, in tumorigenesis induced by aberrant activation of Wnt signaling. Cancer Res. 2004;64:8496-501 pubmed..These results suggest that B9L plays an important role in tumorigenesis induced by aberrant activation of Wnt signaling. ..
- Doubravska L, Simova S, Cermak L, Valenta T, Korinek V, Andera L. Wnt-expressing rat embryonic fibroblasts suppress Apo2L/TRAIL-induced apoptosis of human leukemia cells. Apoptosis. 2008;13:573-87 pubmed publisher..We observed that co-culture of human pre-B leukemia cells KM3 and REH with Wnt1- or Wnt3a-producing rat embryonic fibroblasts efficiently suppressed Apo2L/TRAIL-induced apoptosis of the lymphoid ..
- Shimizu H, Julius M, Giarre M, Zheng Z, Brown A, Kitajewski J. Transformation by Wnt family proteins correlates with regulation of beta-catenin. Cell Growth Differ. 1997;8:1349-58 pubmed..These data also imply the existence of receptors that respond to certain Wnt proteins but not to others. ..
- Staal F, Meeldijk J, Moerer P, Jay P, van de Weerdt B, Vainio S, et al. Wnt signaling is required for thymocyte development and activates Tcf-1 mediated transcription. Eur J Immunol. 2001;31:285-93 pubmed..This interaction may be established by signals mediated by Wnt1 and Wnt4, leading to increased Tcf-dependent transcriptional activity in thymocytes, as demonstrated in Tcf-LacZ ..
- Ikeya M, Lee S, Johnson J, McMahon A, Takada S. Wnt signalling required for expansion of neural crest and CNS progenitors. Nature. 1997;389:966-70 pubmed..Given the widespread expression of different Wnt genes in discrete areas of the mammalian neural tube, this may represent a general model for the action of Wnt signalling in the developing CNS. ..
- van Amerongen R, Mikels A, Nusse R. Alternative wnt signaling is initiated by distinct receptors. Sci Signal. 2008;1:re9 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss basic principles of signal transduction initiated at the cell membrane, with the Wnt pathway, which harbors a multitude of ligands and receptors, as an example. ..
- Erdreich Epstein A, Shackleford G. Differential expression of Wnt genes in normal and flat variants of PC12 cells, a cell line responsive to ectopic Wnt1 expression. Growth Factors. 1998;15:149-58 pubmed..Ectopic expression of Wnt1 converts the PC12 neural crest-derived rat pheochromocytoma cell line from a round phenotype that express ..