Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Vcan
Alias: Cspg2, versican core protein, GHAP, PG-M, chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan 2 (versican), chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan core protein 2, glial hyaluronate-binding protein, large fibroblast proteoglycan
- Fisher D, Xing B, Dill J, Li H, Hoang H, Zhao Z, et al. Leukocyte common antigen-related phosphatase is a functional receptor for chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan axon growth inhibitors. J Neurosci. 2011;31:14051-66 pubmed publisher..Identification of LAR as a novel CSPG functional receptor provides a therapeutic basis for enhancing axonal regeneration and functional recovery after CNS injuries in adult mammals. ..
- Popp S, Andersen J, Maurel P, Margolis R. Localization of aggrecan and versican in the developing rat central nervous system. Dev Dyn. 2003;227:143-9 pubmed..Differences in the localization and temporal expression patterns of these chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans suggest that, like neurocan and phosphacan, they have partially complementary roles during central nervous system development. ..
- Lemire J, Merrilees M, Braun K, Wight T. Overexpression of the V3 variant of versican alters arterial smooth muscle cell adhesion, migration, and proliferation in vitro. J Cell Physiol. 2002;190:38-45 pubmed..V3 may exert these effects through changes in pericellular coat formation, either by competing with larger isoforms for hyaluronan-binding, or by altering other components of the pericellular matrix. ..
- Koga T, Inatani M, Hirata A, Inomata Y, Zako M, Kimata K, et al. Expression of a chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan, versican (PG-M), during development of rat cornea. Curr Eye Res. 2005;30:455-63 pubmed..Versican and hyaluronan, which can form a large molecular complex, may play an important role in the early phase of corneal development. ..
- Harris N, Carmichael S, Hovda D, Sutton R. Traumatic brain injury results in disparate regions of chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan expression that are temporally limited. J Neurosci Res. 2009;87:2937-50 pubmed publisher..If this were the case, the gradual normalization of CSPG proteins over time postinjury would suggest that this may be temporally as well as regionally limited. ..
- Leonardo C, Eakin A, Ajmo J, Gottschall P. Versican and brevican are expressed with distinct pathology in neonatal hypoxic-ischemic injury. J Neurosci Res. 2008;86:1106-14 pubmed
- Wang X, Hu G, Zhou J. Repression of versican expression by microRNA-143. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:23241-50 pubmed publisher..This study provides the first evidence that myocardin, in addition to activating smooth muscle-specific genes, regulates ECM expression through induction of microRNAs during smooth muscle differentiation. ..
- Lemire J, Braun K, Maurel P, Kaplan E, Schwartz S, Wight T. Versican/PG-M isoforms in vascular smooth muscle cells. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1999;19:1630-9 pubmed..PCR analysis shows that this intron can be retained in both V1 and V3 isoforms. The predicted translation product of this variant would have a different carboxy-terminus than previously described versican isoforms. ..
- Rahmani M, Read J, Carthy J, McDonald P, Wong B, Esfandiarei M, et al. Regulation of the versican promoter by the beta-catenin-T-cell factor complex in vascular smooth muscle cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:13019-28 pubmed
- Tang X, Davies J, Davies S. Changes in distribution, cell associations, and protein expression levels of NG2, neurocan, phosphacan, brevican, versican V2, and tenascin-C during acute to chronic maturation of spinal cord scar tissue. J Neurosci Res. 2003;71:427-44 pubmed..Our results show novel expression patterns and cell associations of inhibitory CSPGs and tenascin-C that have important implications for axon regeneration across acute and chronic spinal cord scar tissue. ..
- Carthy J, Abraham T, Meredith A, Boroomand S, McManus B. Versican localizes to the nucleus in proliferating mesenchymal cells. Cardiovasc Pathol. 2015;24:368-74 pubmed publisher..These observations open a new avenue for studies of versican, suggesting even more diverse roles in vascular health and disease. ..
- Xiang Y, Dong H, Wan Y, Li J, Yee A, Yang B, et al. Versican G3 domain regulates neurite growth and synaptic transmission of hippocampal neurons by activation of epidermal growth factor receptor. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:19358-68 pubmed..Our findings suggest a role for ECM proteolytic products in neural development and regeneration. ..
- Mjaatvedt C, Yamamura H, Capehart A, Turner D, Markwald R. The Cspg2 gene, disrupted in the hdf mutant, is required for right cardiac chamber and endocardial cushion formation. Dev Biol. 1998;202:56-66 pubmed..Chromosome mapping studies first identified the gene, Cspg2 (versican), as a candidate hdf gene...
- Shibata S, Fukada K, Imai H, Abe T, Yamashita Y. In situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry of versican, aggrecan and link protein, and histochemistry of hyaluronan in the developing mouse limb bud cartilage. J Anat. 2003;203:425-32 pubmed..In particular, only a link protein-positive region was present in the marginal area of the metaphysis and the epiphysis at this stage. This finding may indicate a novel role for link protein. ..
- Russell D, Ochsner S, Hsieh M, Mulders S, Richards J. Hormone-regulated expression and localization of versican in the rodent ovary. Endocrinology. 2003;144:1020-31 pubmed..These observations suggest that versican (V0, V1, and V3) is a matrix component of the granulosa layer throughout folliculogenesis and is enriched in remodeling matrices during ovulation and neovascularization of the corpora lutea. ..
- Kang I, Barth J, Sproul E, Yoon D, Workman G, Braun K, et al. Expression of V3 Versican by Rat Arterial Smooth Muscle Cells Promotes Differentiated and Anti-inflammatory Phenotypes. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:21629-41 pubmed publisher..Overall, these findings demonstrate that V3 expression reprograms ASMCs promoting differentiated and anti-inflammatory phenotypes. ..
- Asher R, Morgenstern D, Shearer M, Adcock K, Pesheva P, Fawcett J. Versican is upregulated in CNS injury and is a product of oligodendrocyte lineage cells. J Neurosci. 2002;22:2225-36 pubmed..Because large numbers of OLCs are recruited to CNS lesions, these results suggest that OLC-derived versican contributes to the inhospitable environment of the injured CNS. ..
- Ruigrok Y, Rinkel G, Wijmenga C. The versican gene and the risk of intracranial aneurysms. Stroke. 2006;37:2372-4 pubmed..11 to 1.67, P=0.003). SNPs in strong linkage disequilibrium and haplotypes constituting these SNPs in the versican gene are associated with IAs suggesting that variation in or near the versican gene plays a role in susceptibility to IAs. ..
- Caruana G, Cullen McEwen L, Nelson A, Kostoulias X, Woods K, Gardiner B, et al. Spatial gene expression in the T-stage mouse metanephros. Gene Expr Patterns. 2006;6:807-25 pubmed..Innp1, Itm2b, Mkrn1, SPARC, Emu2 and Gsta3 and genes spatially restricted to the mesenchyme surrounding the trunk, CSPG2 and CV-2, with overlapping and complimentary expression to BMP4, respectively...
- Ogawa H, Oohashi T, Sata M, Bekku Y, Hirohata S, Nakamura K, et al. Lp3/Hapln3, a novel link protein that co-localizes with versican and is coordinately up-regulated by platelet-derived growth factor in arterial smooth muscle cells. Matrix Biol. 2004;23:287-98 pubmed..Altogether, our results suggest that Lp3/Hapln3 is involved, together with versican and hyaluronan, in the formation of the pericellular matrix of vascular smooth muscle cells. ..