Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Uts2
Description: urotensin 2
Alias: Ucn2, U-II, UII, urocortin 2, urotensin II, urotensin-2, urotensin-II
- Elevated expression of urotensin II and its receptor in diethylnitrosamine-mediated precancerous lesions in rat liverHongxia Wang
Department of Pathophysiology, Capital Medical University, Beijing, 100069, China
Peptides 32:382-7. 2011b>Urotensin II (UII) is a somatostatin-like peptide involved in cell proliferation and in tumor biology...
- Urotensin II induces phenotypic differentiation, migration, and collagen synthesis of adventitial fibroblasts from rat aortaYong gang Zhang
Department of Cardiovascular Diseases, First Affiliated Hospital, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou, China
J Hypertens 26:1119-26. 2008b>Urotensin II is a new potent vasoconstrictor. Nevertheless, little is known about its effects on the activation of adventitial fibroblasts.
- Effect of GABA A receptor activation on UT-coupled signaling pathways in rat cortical astrocytesLaurence Desrues
INSERM U413, Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Neuroendocrinology, 76821 Mont Saint Aignan, France
Peptides 29:727-34. 2008Cultured rat cortical astrocytes express two types of urotensin II (UII) binding sites: a high affinity site corresponding to the UT (GPR14) receptor and a low affinity site that has not been fully characterized...
- Increased plasma urotensin-II levels are associated with diabetic retinopathy and carotid atherosclerosis in Type 2 diabetesToshiaki Suguro
First Department of Internal Medicine, Showa University School of Medicine, Tokyo 142 8666, Japan
Clin Sci (Lond) 115:327-34. 2008..A single nucleotide polymorphism (S89N) in the gene encoding U-II (UTS2) is associated with the onset of Type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance in the Japanese population...
- Hemodynamic effects of urotensin II and its specific receptor antagonist palosuran in cirrhotic ratsJonel Trebicka
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Hepatology 47:1264-76. 2008..b>Urotensin II(U-II) is a constrictor of large conductive vessels...
- Elevated expression of urotensin II and its receptor in diabetic cardiomyopathyHong Yan Dai
Key Laboratory of Cardiovascular Remodeling and Function Research, Chinese Ministry of Education and Chinese Ministry of Public Health, Qilu Hospital, Shandong University, Jinan, Shandong, China
J Diabetes Complications 22:137-43. 2008b>Urotensin II (UII) is a somatostatin-like peptide recently identified to have several cardiovascular effects, including potent vasoactive, cardiac inotropic and chronotropic properties...
- [Orn5]URP acts as a pure antagonist of urotensinergic receptors in rat cortical astrocytesMickael Diallo
INSERM U413, Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Neuroendocrinology, Mont Saint Aignan, France
Peptides 29:813-9. 2008Cultured rat astrocytes, which express functional urotensin II (UII)/UII-related peptide (URP) receptors (UT), represent a very suitable model to investigate the pharmacological profile of UII and URP analogs towards native UT...
- [Relationship between polymorphism of urotensin II gene and type 2 diabetes in pedigrees]Xue ji Wu
Department of Epidemiology and Statistics, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, Jiangsu, 210029 PR China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Yi Chuan Xue Za Zhi 24:656-9. 2007To investigate the association between a polymorphism (rs228648) of urotensin II (UT-II) gene and type 2 diabetes in pedigrees.
- Evidence for endogenous urotensin-II as an inhibitor of insulin secretion. Study in the perfused rat pancreasJosé Marco
Hospital Universitario Puerta de Hierro and Department of Physiology, Medical School, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, San Martin de Porres 4, 28035 Madrid, Spain
Peptides 29:852-8. 2008In the perfused rat pancreas, infusion of urotensin-II (UII), a somatostatin-like peptide, inhibits glucose-induced insulin secretion...
- Urotensin II and urotensin II-related peptide (URP) in cardiac ischemia-reperfusion injuryH C G Prosser
School of Biological Sciences, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand
Peptides 29:770-7. 2008Circulating urotensin II (UII) concentrations and the tissue expression of its cognate receptor (UT) are elevated in patients with cardiovascular disease (CVD). The functional significance of elevated plasma UII levels in CVD is unclear...
- [Role of urotensin II gene in the genetic susceptibility to gestational diabetes mellitus in northern Chinese women]Yu Jie Tan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, First Hospital of Peking University, Beijing 100034, China
Zhonghua Fu Chan Ke Za Zhi 41:732-5. 2006To investigate the relationship between the polymorphism of site rs228648 in urotensin II gene and the genetic susceptibility to gestational diabetes mellitus in northern Chinese women.
- Effect of central urotensin II on heart rate, blood pressure and brain Fos immunoreactivity in conscious ratsA M D Watson
Howard Florey Institute, University of Melbourne 3010, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Neuroscience 155:241-9. 2008Central administration of urotensin II (UII) increases heart rate (HR), cardiac contractility, and plasma levels of epinephrine and glucose. To investigate the mechanisms causing these responses we examined the effects of i.c.v...
- Diabetes-induced upregulation of urotensin II and its receptor plays an important role in TGF-beta1-mediated renal fibrosis and dysfunctionLin Tian
Department of Experimental Pharmacology and Toxicology, School of Pharmacy, Jilin University, Changchun, P R China
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 295:E1234-42. 2008b>Urotensin II (UII) was identified as the ligand for a novel G protein-coupled receptor, GPR14. UII was found not only to have a potent vasoconstrictive action but also to have profibrotic effects in the heart...
- A rat brain atlas of urotensin-II receptor expression and a review of central urotensin-II effectsBenjamin D Hunt
University Department of Cardiovascular Sciences Pharmacology and Therapeutics Group, Division of Anaesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Management, University of Leicester, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester LE1 5WW, UK
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 382:1-31. 2010..These predicted responses lend themselves to relatively simple experimental verification...
- Effect of urotensin II on PC12 rat pheochromocytoma cellsY Aita
Molecular Laboratory Medicine, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
J Neuroendocrinol 22:83-91. 2010b>Urotensin II (U-II), initially identified as a cyclic peptide from fish urophysis, acts both as a strong vasoconstrictor and vasodilator in the vasculature via its receptor, G-protein coupled receptor 14...
- Effects of exogenous urotensin II on vascular remodelling after balloon injuryLi Fang Zhang
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Peking University First Hospital, Beijing, China
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 37:477-81. 20101. Urotensin II (U-II) is a powerful vasoconstrictor peptide that stimulates cell proliferation. However, the systemic effects of U-II on cellular and extracellular matrix responses of vessel walls have not been investigated...
- Elevated expression of urotensin II and its receptor in great artery of type 2 diabetes and its significanceNing Xie
School of Clinical Medicine, Shandong University, Jinan 250012, China
Biomed Pharmacother 63:734-41. 2009b>Urotensin II (U-II) and its receptor G-protein-coupled receptor GPR14 (UT) exert a broad spectrum of biological functions such as vascular remodeling and vasoactive cardiac inotropic...
- Urotensin II modulates hepatic fibrosis and portal hemodynamic alterations in ratsWilliam Kemp
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Prahran, Victoria, Australia
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 297:G762-7. 2009The influence of circulating urotensin II (UII) on liver disease and portal hypertension is unknown. We aimed to evaluate whether UII executes a pathogenetic role in the development of hepatic fibrosis and portal hypertension...
- Increased expression of urotensin II, urotensin II-related peptide and urotensin II receptor mRNAs in the cardiovascular organs of hypertensive rats: comparison with endothelin-1Takuo Hirose
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Tohoku University Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Peptides 30:1124-9. 2009b>Urotensin II (UII) and urotensin II-related peptide (URP) are novel vasoactive peptides that share urotensin II receptor (UT)...
- Elevated expression of urotensin II and its receptor in skeletal muscle of diabetic mouseHong Xia Wang
Department of Pathophysiology, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100069, China
Regul Pept 154:85-90. 2009b>Urotensin II (UII) is a somatostatin-like peptide recently identified to be involved in metabolic regulation and to play a significant role in diabetes and its complications...
- Urotensin II-induced endothelin-1 expression and cell proliferation via epidermal growth factor receptor transactivation in rat aortic smooth muscle cellsChien Sung Tsai
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Atherosclerosis 206:86-94. 2009b>Urotensin II (U-II) is implicated in vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation, which results in vascular remodeling...
- Magnolol depresses urotensin-II-induced cell proliferation in rat cardiac fibroblastsJer Young Liou
Shin Kong Wu Ho Su Memorial Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan ROC
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 36:711-6. 2009..Thus, the present study provides important new insights into the molecular pathways involved, which may contribute to our understanding of the effects of magnolol on the cardiovascular system...
- Urotensin II is an autocrine/paracrine growth factor for aortic adventitia of ratYonggang Zhang
Department of Cardiovascular Diseases, First Affiliated Hospital, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou, Guangdong 515041, China
Regul Pept 151:88-94. 2008b>Urotensin II (UII) is a potent vasoconstrictive peptide; however, its significance in vascular adventitia has not been clearly elucidated...
- Urotensin II accelerates cardiac fibrosis and hypertrophy of rats induced by isoproterenolYong gang Zhang
Department of Cardiovascular Diseases, First Affiliated Hospital, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou 515041, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 28:36-43. 2007To study whether urotensin II (UII), a potent vasoconstrictive peptide, is involved in the development of cardiac hypertrophy and fibrogenesis of rats induced by isoproterenol (ISO).
- Cardiovascular effects of native and non-native urotensin II and urotensin II-related peptide on rat and salmon heartsH C G Prosser
School of Biological Sciences, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand
Peptides 27:3261-8. 2006b>Urotensin II (UII) was first discovered in the urophyses of goby fish and later identified in mammals, while urotensin II-related peptide (URP) was recently isolated from rat brain...
- Urotensin-II and its receptor (UT-R) are expressed in rat brain endothelial cells, and urotensin-II via UT-R stimulates angiogenesis in vivo and in vitroRaffaella Spinazzi
Department of Human Anatomy and Physiology, Section of Anatomy, University of Padua, I 35121 Padua, Italy
Int J Mol Med 18:1107-12. 2006Urotensin-II (UII), along its receptor UT-R, is widely expressed in the cardiovascular system, where it exerts regulatory actions under both physiological and pathological conditions...
- Elevated plasma levels of immunoreactive urotensin II and its increased urinary excretion in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus: association with progress of diabetic nephropathyKazuhito Totsune
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Tohoku University Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Science and Medicine, Sendai, Miyagi 980 8578, Japan
Peptides 25:1809-14. 2004b>Urotensin II (UII) is the most potent vasoconstrictor peptide ever identified...
- Genetic variations at urotensin II and urotensin II receptor genes and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus in JapaneseSusumu Suzuki
Division of Molecular Metabolism and Diabetes, Department of Internal Medicine, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai 980 8574, Japan
Peptides 25:1803-8. 2004b>Urotensin II is among the most potent vasoactive hormones known and the urotensin II (UTS2) gene is localized to 1p36-p32, one of the regions reported to show possible linkage with type 2 diabetes in Japanese...
- Increased expression of urotensin II and its cognate receptor GPR14 in atherosclerotic lesions of the human aortaNicolas Bousette
Montreal General Hospital, Suite L3 109, 1650 Cedar Avenue, Montreal, Que, Canada H3G 1A4
Atherosclerosis 176:117-23. 2004b>Urotensin II (U-II), a novel vasoactive peptide, possesses a wide range of cardiovascular effects. U-II binds a seven transmembrane spanning G-protein coupled receptor termed GPR14...
- Plasma concentration of urotensin II is raised in hypertensionBernard M Y Cheung
University Department of Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
J Hypertens 22:1341-4. 2004b>Urotensin II is the most potent vasoconstrictor known. Its role in hypertension has not been investigated. Here, we studied the plasma levels in hypertensive and normotensive human subjects.
- Role of ERK and Rho kinase pathways in central pressor action of urotensin IIYingzi Lin
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Maidashi 3 1 1, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
J Hypertens 22:983-8. 2004It has been shown that central urotensin II acts on the central nervous system to increase arterial pressure in conscious rats.
- The upregulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase and urotensin-II is associated with pulmonary hypertension and vascular diseases in rats produced by aortocaval shuntingJianguang Qi
Department of Pediatrics, First Hospital of Peking University, Xi An Men Street No 1, 100034, Beijing, P R China
Heart Vessels 19:81-8. 2004..Nitric oxide, as a modifying factor, might be involved in the regulation of pulmonary vascular structural remodeling...
- Central cardiovascular action of urotensin II in spontaneously hypertensive ratsYingzi Lin
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Hypertens Res 26:839-45. 2003We have previously reported that urotensin II acts on the central nervous system to increase blood pressure in normotensive rats...
- Elevated plasma levels of human urotensin-II immunoreactivity in congestive heart failureFraser D Russell
Department of Medicine, University of Queensland, Prince Charles Hospital, Rode Road, Chermside, Queensland 4032, Australia
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 285:H1576-81. 2003..The findings indicated that hU-II-ir is elevated in the aortic root of CHF patients and that hU-II-ir is cleared at least in part from the microcirculation...
- Role of androgens in the regulation of urotensin II precursor mRNA expression in the rat brainstem and spinal cordG Pelletier
Molecular Endocrinology and Oncology Research Center, Laval University Medical Center CHUL and Laval University, Quebec, QC, Canada G1V 4G2
Neuroscience 115:525-32. 2002It has been reported that both urotensin II precursor (pro UII) mRNA and androgen receptors (ARs) are highly expressed in rat brainstem motor nuclei and ventral horn of the spinal cord...
- Cardiovascular effects of urotensin II in different brain areasYang Lu
Department of Physiology, Health Science Center, Peking University, Beijing, PR China
Peptides 23:1631-5. 2002It has been shown that intracerebroventricular injection of urotensin II (UII)-induced hypotensive and bradycardiac responses...
- Increased expression of urotensin II and urotensin II receptor in human diabetic nephropathyRobyn G Langham
University of Melbourne Department of Medicine, St Vincent s Hospital, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia
Am J Kidney Dis 44:826-31. 2004b>Urotensin II (UII) is an 11-amino acid vasoactive peptide, recently identified as the ligand for a novel G protein-coupled receptor, GPR-14 (renamed urotensin receptor [UT])...
- Urotensin-II-mediated cardiomyocyte hypertrophy: effect of receptor antagonism and role of inflammatory mediatorsDouglas G Johns
Department of Vascular Biology and Thrombosis, Cardiovascular and Urogenital Center for Excellence in Drug Discovery, GlaxoSmithKline, 709 Swedeland Road, UW2510, King of Prussia, PA 19406, USA
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 370:238-50. 2004..As such, UT antagonism may represent a novel therapeutic target for the clinical management of heart failure...
- [The role of urotensin II in airway remodeling of asthma]De yun Cheng
Department of Respiratory Medicine, West China Hospital of Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, China
Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi 29:381-4. 2006To observe the change of urotensin II (U-II) expression in airways of rat asthmatic models, and of patients with asthma, and therefore to investigate the role of U-II in the pathogenesis of asthma and airway remodeling.
- Renal and vascular actions of urotensin IIN Ashton
Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Kidney Int 70:624-9. 2006The peptide hormone urotensin II (UII) has been highly conserved through the vertebrates from fish to humans...
- Urotensin-II and UII-receptor expression and function in the rat adrenal cortexGiovanna Albertin
Department of Human Anatomy and Physiology, Section of Anatomy, School of Medicine, University of Padua, Italy
Int J Mol Med 17:1111-5. 2006Urotensin-II (UII) is a potent hypertensive peptide, which has been recognized as an endogenous ligand of the G protein-coupled receptor (GPR)-14, now named UT-R...
- [The expression and significance of urotensin II, nitric oxide, and C-type natriuretic peptide in hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertension in rats]De Jun Sun
Department of Respiratory and Critical Medicine, Third Affiliated Hospital of Inner Mongolia Medical College, Baotou 014010, China
Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi 29:185-8. 2006To investigate the alteration of plasma and lung tissue homogenate urotensin II (U-II), nitric oxide (NO) and C-type natriuretic peptide (CNP) levels in rats with hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertension (HPH) and to study the role of these ..
- Urotensin II and renal function in the ratW Song
Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Kidney Int 69:1360-8. 2006b>Urotensin II (UII) is a potent vasoactive hormone in mammals. However, despite its well-known effects on epithelial sodium transport in fish, little is known about its actions on the mammalian kidney...
- Urotensin II is an inverse predictor of incident cardiovascular events in end-stage renal diseaseC Zoccali
CNR IBIM, Institute of Biomedicine, Clinical Epidemiology and Pathophysiology of Renal Diseases and Hypertension and Division of Nephrology, Dialysis and Transplantation, Reggio Calabria, Italy
Kidney Int 69:1253-8. 2006b>Urotensin II (UTN) is a vasoactive substance that may induce vasoconstriction or vasodilatation...
- Circulating urotensin II levels in moderate to severe congestive heart failure: its relations with myocardial function and well established neurohormonal markersD Gruson
Unit of Diabetes and Nutrition, Catholic University of Louvain, Tour Claude Bernard, 54 Avenue Hippocrate, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Peptides 27:1527-31. 2006b>Urotensin II (UII) is a potent vasoactive cyclic peptide thought to play a role in myocardial hypertrophy and remodelling...
- A role for urotensin II in restenosis following balloon angioplasty: use of a selective UT receptor blockerEwa Rakowski
Division of Cardiology, Suite L3 109, The Montreal General Hospital, McGill University Health Center, 1650 Cedar Avenue, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1A4
J Mol Cell Cardiol 39:785-91. 2005Recent studies have postulated that the vasoactive peptide urotensin II (UII) plays a role in the control of vascular remodeling by inducing smooth muscle proliferation and fibroblast-mediated collagen deposition...
- Urotensin II modulates rapid eye movement sleep through activation of brainstem cholinergic neuronsSalvador Huitron-Resendiz
Department of Neuropharmacology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Neurosci 25:5465-74. 2005b>Urotensin II (UII) is a cyclic neuropeptide with strong vasoconstrictive activity in the peripheral vasculature...
- Increased plasma levels of Urotensin-II in preeclampsia-eclampsia: a new mediator in pathogenesis?Ozcan Balat
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Gaziantep University, P T T Subesi, P K 34, 27310 Gaziantep, Turkey
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 120:33-8. 2005..To assess the possible role of human Urotensin-II (hU-II), a vasoactive peptide, in the pathophysiology of preeclampsia-eclampsia prospectively...
- Cloning, sequence analysis and tissue distribution of the mouse and rat urotensin II precursorsY Coulouarn
European Institute for Peptide Research IFRMP 23, INSERM U413, UA CNRS, University of Rouen, Mont Saint Aignan, France
FEBS Lett 457:28-32. 1999b>Urotensin II (UII) is a cyclic neuropeptide initially isolated from the caudal neurosecretory system of teleost fish...