Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Tomm20
Description: translocase of outer mitochondrial membrane 20
Alias: mitochondrial import receptor subunit TOM20 homolog, mitochondrial 20 kDa outer membrane protein, outer mitochondrial membrane receptor Tom20, outer mitochondrial membrane receptor rTOM20, translocase of outer mitochondrial membrane 20 homolog
- Schulz C, Schendzielorz A, Rehling P. Unlocking the presequence import pathway. Trends Cell Biol. 2015;25:265-75 pubmed publisher..Here, we review recent advances in understanding of the mechanisms underlying protein transport along the presequence pathway. ..
- Mashimo M, Kato J, Moss J. ADP-ribosyl-acceptor hydrolase 3 regulates poly (ADP-ribose) degradation and cell death during oxidative stress. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:18964-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, PARG release of PAR attached to nuclear proteins, followed by ARH3 cleavage of PAR, is essential in regulating PAR-dependent AIF release from mitochondria and parthanatos. ..
- Takahashi M, Chesley A, Freyssenet D, Hood D. Contractile activity-induced adaptations in the mitochondrial protein import system. Am J Physiol. 1998;274:C1380-7 pubmed..This increase in protein import is likely an important adaptation in the overall process of mitochondrial biogenesis. ..
- Ellenrieder L, MÃ¥rtensson C, Becker T. Biogenesis of mitochondrial outer membrane proteins, problems and diseases. Biol Chem. 2015;396:1199-213 pubmed publisher..We summarize current models and open questions of biogenesis of mitochondrial outer membrane proteins and discuss the impact of malfunctions of protein sorting on the development of diseases. ..
- Valentijn A, Metcalfe A, Kott J, Streuli C, Gilmore A. Spatial and temporal changes in Bax subcellular localization during anoikis. J Cell Biol. 2003;162:599-612 pubmed..Our data suggest that Bax regulation occurs at several levels, with formation of clusters a late event, and with critical changes determining cell fate occurring earlier. ..
- Singh K, Hood D. Effect of denervation-induced muscle disuse on mitochondrial protein import. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2011;300:C138-45 pubmed publisher..e., increased ROS production and decreased respiration) during chronic disuse, which likely contribute to the activation of degradative pathways leading to muscle atrophy. ..
- Hamasaki M, Furuta N, Matsuda A, Nezu A, Yamamoto A, Fujita N, et al. Autophagosomes form at ER-mitochondria contact sites. Nature. 2013;495:389-93 pubmed publisher..These results provide new insight into organelle biogenesis by demonstrating that the ER-mitochondria contact site is important in autophagosome formation...
- Yano M, Terada K, Mori M. Mitochondrial import receptors Tom20 and Tom22 have chaperone-like activity. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:10808-13 pubmed..These results suggest that the cytosolic domains of Tom20 and Tom22 function to maintain their substrate preproteins unfolded and prevent them from aggregating on the mitochondrial surface. ..
- Komuro Y, Miyashita N, Mori T, Muneyuki E, Saitoh T, Kohda D, et al. Energetics of the presequence-binding poses in mitochondrial protein import through Tom20. J Phys Chem B. 2013;117:2864-71 pubmed publisher..The REMD simulations thus provide insights into the energetics of the multiple-binding forms and help to detail the progressive conformational states in the dynamic-equilibrium model based on the experimental data. ..
- Saitoh T, Igura M, Obita T, Ose T, Kojima R, Maenaka K, et al. Tom20 recognizes mitochondrial presequences through dynamic equilibrium among multiple bound states. EMBO J. 2007;26:4777-87 pubmed..We suggest that the dynamic, multiple-mode interaction is the molecular mechanism facilitating the broadly selective specificity of the Tom20 receptor toward diverse mitochondrial presequences. ..
- Zara V, Ferramosca A, Papatheodorou P, Palmieri F, Rassow J. Import of rat mitochondrial citrate carrier (CIC) at increasing salt concentrations promotes presequence binding to import receptor Tom20 and inhibits membrane translocation. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:3985-95 pubmed..We conclude that presequences can only act as mediators of mitochondrial protein import if they allow rapid release from import receptor sites. Release from receptors sites may be rate-limiting in translocation. ..
- Wurm C, Neumann D, Lauterbach M, Harke B, Egner A, Hell S, et al. Nanoscale distribution of mitochondrial import receptor Tom20 is adjusted to cellular conditions and exhibits an inner-cellular gradient. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:13546-51 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the nanoscale distribution of the TOM complex is finely adjusted to the cellular conditions, resulting in distribution gradients both within single cells and between adjacent cells. ..
- Richter V, Palmer C, Osellame L, Singh A, Elgass K, Stroud D, et al. Structural and functional analysis of MiD51, a dynamin receptor required for mitochondrial fission. J Cell Biol. 2014;204:477-86 pubmed publisher..MiD51 foci are also dependent on the presence of Drp1, and after scission they are distributed to daughter organelles, supporting the involvement of MiD51 in the fission apparatus...
- Guarani V, McNeill E, Paulo J, Huttlin E, FrÃ¶hlich F, Gygi S, et al. QIL1 is a novel mitochondrial protein required for MICOS complex stability and cristae morphology. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Collectively, our work uncovers a previously unrecognized subunit of the MICOS complex, necessary for CJ integrity, cristae morphology, and mitochondrial function and provides a resource for further analysis of MICOS architecture. ..
- Zhu Y, Swanson B, Wang M, Hildeman D, Schaefer B, Liu X, et al. Constitutive association of the proapoptotic protein Bim with Bcl-2-related proteins on mitochondria in T cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:7681-6 pubmed..Our results indicate that, in T cells, Bim function is regulated by interaction with Bcl-2 family members on mitochondria rather than by sequestration to the microtubules. ..
- Iwashita S, Tsuchida M, Tsukuda M, Yamashita Y, Emi Y, Kida Y, et al. Multiple organelle-targeting signals in the N-terminal portion of peroxisomal membrane protein PMP70. J Biochem. 2010;147:581-90 pubmed publisher..Cooperation of the organelle-targeting signals enables PMP70 to correctly target to peroxisomal membranes...