Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: TOM40
Description: translocase of outer mitochondrial membrane 40
Alias: OM38, TOM40, mitochondrial import receptor subunit TOM40 homolog, mitochondrial outer membrane protein of 38 kDa, outer membrane protein 38 kDa, translocase of outer membrane 40 kDa subunit homolog, translocase of outer mitochondrial membrane 40 homolog
- Johnston A, Hoogenraad J, Dougan D, Truscott K, Yano M, Mori M, et al. Insertion and assembly of human tom7 into the preprotein translocase complex of the outer mitochondrial membrane. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:42197-204 pubmed..We found that the 120-kDa complex contains Tom40 and lacks receptor components...
- Humphries A, Streimann I, Stojanovski D, Johnston A, Yano M, Hoogenraad N, et al. Dissection of the mitochondrial import and assembly pathway for human Tom40. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:11535-43 pubmedb>Tom40 is the channel-forming subunit of the translocase of the mitochondrial outer membrane (TOM complex), essential for protein import into mitochondria...
- Ellenrieder L, MÃ¥rtensson C, Becker T. Biogenesis of mitochondrial outer membrane proteins, problems and diseases. Biol Chem. 2015;396:1199-213 pubmed publisher..We summarize current models and open questions of biogenesis of mitochondrial outer membrane proteins and discuss the impact of malfunctions of protein sorting on the development of diseases. ..
- Suzuki H, Okazawa Y, Komiya T, Saeki K, Mekada E, Kitada S, et al. Characterization of rat TOM40, a central component of the preprotein translocase of the mitochondrial outer membrane. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:37930-6 pubmed..structural homology to the central component of preprotein translocase of the fungal mitochondrial outer membrane, Tom40. Although it has no predictable alpha-helical transmembrane segments, OM38 is resistant to alkaline carbonate ..
- Santos J, Kowluru R. Impaired transport of mitochondrial transcription factor A (TFAM) and the metabolic memory phenomenon associated with the progression of diabetic retinopathy. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2013;29:204-13 pubmed publisher..Components of the membrane transport system, Tom70, Tom40, Tim23, and Tim44, were analysed in the retina from streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats maintained in poor ..
- Wenz L, OpaliÅ„ski Å, Wiedemann N, Becker T. Cooperation of protein machineries in mitochondrial protein sorting. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1853:1119-29 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we propose that the protein transport systems are part of a complicated protein network for mitochondrial biogenesis. ..
- Cartron P, Bellot G, Oliver L, Grandier Vazeille X, Manon S, Vallette F. Bax inserts into the mitochondrial outer membrane by different mechanisms. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:3045-51 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that monomers, but not dimers, of Bax require the presence of TOM22 and TOM40 to integrate into mitochondria...