Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Tnr
Description: tenascin R
Alias: J1NRM, tenascin-R, TN-R, Tenascin-R (Restrictin, janusin, J1-160/180), janusin, neural recognition molecule J1-160/180, restrictin, tenascin R (restrictin, janusin)
- Saghatelyan A, Dityatev A, Schmidt S, Schuster T, Bartsch U, Schachner M. Reduced perisomatic inhibition, increased excitatory transmission, and impaired long-term potentiation in mice deficient for the extracellular matrix glycoprotein tenascin-R. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2001;17:226-40 pubmed
- Bruckner G, Grosche J, Schmidt S, Hartig W, Margolis R, Delpech B, et al. Postnatal development of perineuronal nets in wild-type mice and in a mutant deficient in tenascin-R. J Comp Neurol. 2000;428:616-29 pubmed..This may interfere with the development of the specific micromilieu of the ensheathed neurons and adjacent glial cells and may also permanently change their functional properties. ..
- Xiao Z, Taylor J, Montag D, Rougon G, Schachner M. Distinct effects of recombinant tenascin-R domains in neuronal cell functions and identification of the domain interacting with the neuronal recognition molecule F3/11. Eur J Neurosci. 1996;8:766-82 pubmed..They further suggest the existence of multiple neuronal tenascin-R receptors which influence the response of neurons to their extracellular matrix environment. ..
- Weber P, Bartsch U, Rasband M, Czaniera R, Lang Y, Bluethmann H, et al. Mice deficient for tenascin-R display alterations of the extracellular matrix and decreased axonal conduction velocities in the CNS. J Neurosci. 1999;19:4245-62 pubmed..These observations indicate an essential role for TN-R in the formation of perineuronal nets and in normal conduction velocity of optic nerve. ..
- Srinivasan J, Schachner M, Catterall W. Interaction of voltage-gated sodium channels with the extracellular matrix molecules tenascin-C and tenascin-R. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:15753-7 pubmed
- Probstmeier R, Stichel C, Muller H, Asou H, Pesheva P. Chondroitin sulfates expressed on oligodendrocyte-derived tenascin-R are involved in neural cell recognition. Functional implications during CNS development and regeneration. J Neurosci Res. 2000;60:21-36 pubmed..e., suppression of axon regeneration after CNS injury. ..
- Czopka T, von Holst A, Schmidt G, Ffrench Constant C, Faissner A. Tenascin C and tenascin R similarly prevent the formation of myelin membranes in a RhoA-dependent manner, but antagonistically regulate the expression of myelin basic protein via a separate pathway. Glia. 2009;57:1790-801 pubmed publisher..Here, we compared the roles of the two related extracellular matrix (ECM) glycoproteins Tenascin C (Tnc) and Tenascin R (Tnr) in oligodendrocyte differentiation...
- Kappler J, Baader S, Franken S, Pesheva P, Schilling K, Rauch U, et al. Tenascins are associated with lipid rafts isolated from mouse brain. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;294:742-7 pubmed..The reported interactions of several raft-associated proteins (such as, e.g., F3) with tenascin C and tenascin R prompted us to consider that these oligomeric multidomain glycoproteins of the extracellular matrix (ECM) could ..
- Woodworth A, Fiete D, Baenziger J. Spatial and temporal regulation of tenascin-R glycosylation in the cerebellum. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:50941-7 pubmed..The spatially and temporally regulated addition of this unique sulfated carbohydrate to tenascin-R may serve to modulate its adhesive/anti-adhesive or other biological properties in vivo. ..
- Schachner M, Taylor J, Bartsch U, Pesheva P. The perplexing multifunctionality of janusin, a tenascin-related molecule. Perspect Dev Neurobiol. 1994;2:33-41 pubmedThe extracellular matrix glycoprotein janusin, closely related to tenascin in its repeated motifs of epidermal growth factor, fibronectin type III, and fibrinogen-like domains, displays in vitro a broad spectrum of functional diversity...
- Woodworth A, Pesheva P, Fiete D, Baenziger J. Neuronal-specific synthesis and glycosylation of tenascin-R. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:10413-21 pubmed..In addition, the 160-kDa form of TN-R is particularly enriched for terminal GalNAc-4-SO(4) later in development and in the adult, suggesting additional levels of regulation. ..
- Gurevicius K, Gureviciene I, Valjakka A, Schachner M, Tanila H. Enhanced cortical and hippocampal neuronal excitability in mice deficient in the extracellular matrix glycoprotein tenascin-R. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2004;25:515-23 pubmed..In addition, response habituation to repeated sound stimuli was significantly attenuated in TN-R-/- mice. These findings indicate that tenascin-R is involved in the regulation of certain inhibitory mechanisms in the intact brain. ..
- Aspberg A, Miura R, Bourdoulous S, Shimonaka M, Heinegard D, Schachner M, et al. The C-type lectin domains of lecticans, a family of aggregating chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans, bind tenascin-R by protein-protein interactions independent of carbohydrate moiety. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:10116-21 pubmed..These results demonstrate that the C-type lectin domain can interact with fibronectin type III domains through protein-protein interactions, and suggest that brevican is a physiological tenascin-R ligand in the adult brain. ..
- Xiao Z, Bartsch U, Margolis R, Rougon G, Montag D, Schachner M. Isolation of a tenascin-R binding protein from mouse brain membranes. A phosphacan-related chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:32092-101 pubmed..These observations indicate that TN-R can interact with a phosphacan-related molecule and thereby modulate its inhibitory influence on neuritogenesis. ..
- Cowley A, Moreno C, Jacob H, Peterson C, Stingo F, Ahn K, et al. Characterization of biological pathways associated with a 1.37 Mbp genomic region protective of hypertension in Dahl S rats. Physiol Genomics. 2014;46:398-410 pubmed publisher..filled genomic gaps and provided identification of five genes in this region, Rfwd2, Fam5b, Astn1, Pappa2, and Tnr. A cross-platform normalization of transcriptome data sets obtained from our previously published Affymetrix ..
- Galtrey C, Kwok J, Carulli D, Rhodes K, Fawcett J. Distribution and synthesis of extracellular matrix proteoglycans, hyaluronan, link proteins and tenascin-R in the rat spinal cord. Eur J Neurosci. 2008;27:1373-90 pubmed publisher..During postnatal development the expression of link protein and aggrecan mRNA is up-regulated at the time of PNN formation, and these molecules may therefore trigger their formation. ..
- Milev P, Chiba A, Haring M, Rauvala H, Schachner M, Ranscht B, et al. High affinity binding and overlapping localization of neurocan and phosphacan/protein-tyrosine phosphatase-zeta/beta with tenascin-R, amphoterin, and the heparin-binding growth-associated molecule. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:6998-7005 pubmed
- Pesheva P, Probstmeier R, Lang D, McBride R, Hsu N, Gennarini G, et al. Early coevolution of adhesive but not antiadhesive tenascin-R ligand-receptor pairs in vertebrates: a phylogenetic study. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2006;32:366-86 pubmed
- Leprini A, Gherzi R, Vecchi E, Borsi L, Zardi L, Siri A. Rat tenascin-R gene: structure, chromosome location and transcriptional activity of promoter and exon 1. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 1998;83:115-23 pubmed
- Saghatelyan A, de Chevigny A, Schachner M, Lledo P. Tenascin-R mediates activity-dependent recruitment of neuroblasts in the adult mouse forebrain. Nat Neurosci. 2004;7:347-56 pubmed
- Freitag S, Schachner M, Morellini F. Behavioral alterations in mice deficient for the extracellular matrix glycoprotein tenascin-R. Behav Brain Res. 2003;145:189-207 pubmed..TN-R deficient mice showed motor coordination impairments in the wire hanging, Rotarod and pole test. Thus TN-R ablation leads to an altered behavioral phenotype in mice that may negatively affect their fitness under natural conditions. ..
- Wintergerst E, Rathjen F, Schwaller B, Eggli P, Celio M. Tenascin-R associates extracellularly with parvalbumin immunoreactive neurones but is synthesised by another neuronal population in the adult rat cerebral cortex. J Neurocytol. 2001;30:293-301 pubmed..Using immunohistochemical methods, we observed that the large extracellular matrix-protein, tenascin-R (Restrictin, J1-160-180, Janusin), associates preferentially with the parvalbumin-positive subpopulation of interneurones ..
- Bukalo O, Schachner M, Dityatev A. Modification of extracellular matrix by enzymatic removal of chondroitin sulfate and by lack of tenascin-R differentially affects several forms of synaptic plasticity in the hippocampus. Neuroscience. 2001;104:359-69 pubmed..Our data demonstrate that tenascin-R and chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans differentially modulate several forms of synaptic plasticity, suggesting that different mechanisms are involved. ..
- Brenneke F, Schachner M, Elger C, Lie A. Up-regulation of the extracellular matrix glycoprotein tenascin-R during axonal reorganization and astrogliosis in the adult rat hippocampus. Epilepsy Res. 2004;58:133-43 pubmed