Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Tjp1
Description: tight junction protein 1
Alias: ZO-1, tight junction protein ZO-1, zona occludens 1, zona occludens protein 1, zonula occludens protein 1
- Kikuchi S, Hata M, Fukumoto K, Yamane Y, Matsui T, Tamura A, et al. Radixin deficiency causes conjugated hyperbilirubinemia with loss of Mrp2 from bile canalicular membranes. Nat Genet. 2002;31:320-5 pubmed..These findings indicate that radixin is required for secretion of conjugated bilirubin through its support of Mrp2 localization at BCMs...
- Parkinson S, Le Good J, Whelan R, Whitehead P, Parker P. Identification of PKCzetaII: an endogenous inhibitor of cell polarity. EMBO J. 2004;23:77-88 pubmed..The data demonstrate a regulatory role for PKCzetaII in the maintenance of cell transformation and the development of cell polarity. ..
- Singh D, Solan J, Taffet S, Javier R, Lampe P. Connexin 43 interacts with zona occludens-1 and -2 proteins in a cell cycle stage-specific manner. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:30416-21 pubmed..Since essentially all of the Cx43 in G0 cells is assembled into Triton X-100-resistant junctions, Cx43-ZO-1 interaction may contribute to their stability. ..
- Blitzer A, Panagis L, Gusella G, Danias J, Mlodzik M, Iomini C. Primary cilia dynamics instruct tissue patterning and repair of corneal endothelium. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:2819-24 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate an active role of cilia in orchestrating coordinated morphogenesis of CECs during development and repair and define the murine CE as a powerful in vivo system to study ciliary-based cellular dynamics. ..
- Nico B, Frigeri A, Nicchia G, Corsi P, Ribatti D, Quondamatteo F, et al. Severe alterations of endothelial and glial cells in the blood-brain barrier of dystrophic mdx mice. Glia. 2003;42:235-51 pubmed..The BBB alterations suggest that changes in vascular permeability are involved in the pathogenesis of the neurological dysfunction associated with DMD. ..
- João S, Arana Chavez V. Tight junctions in differentiating ameloblasts and odontoblasts differentially express ZO-1, occludin, and claudin-1 in early odontogenesis of rat molars. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol. 2004;277:338-43 pubmed..Thus, our results showed that ZO-1, occludin, and claudin-1 are differentially expressed as TJs assemble for regulating polarity and/or paracellular permeability in differentiating ameloblasts and odontoblasts. ..
- Uehara K, Uehara A. Localization of claudin-5 and ZO-1 in rat spleen sinus endothelial cells. Histochem Cell Biol. 2008;129:95-103 pubmed..Thus, ZO-1 might play an important role in regulating the cell-cell junctions of sinus endothelial cells for blood-cell passage through splenic cords. ..
- Zheng Y, Vertuani S, Nyström S, Audebert S, Meijer I, Tegnebratt T, et al. Angiomotin-like protein 1 controls endothelial polarity and junction stability during sprouting angiogenesis. Circ Res. 2009;105:260-70 pubmed publisher..However, in vivo Amot appears to control the polarity of vascular tip cells whereas AmotL1 mainly affects the stability of cell-cell junctions of the stalk cells. ..
- Hou Q, Huang Y, Zhu S, Li P, Chen X, Hou Z, et al. MiR-144 Increases Intestinal Permeability in IBS-D Rats by Targeting OCLN and ZO1. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2017;44:2256-2268 pubmed publisher..targets in the distal colon of IBS-D rats; (ii) verify in vitro whether occludin (OCLN) and zonula occludens 1 (ZO1/TJP1) were direct targets of miR-144 and were down-regulated in IBS-D rats; and (iii) determine whether down-regulation ..
- Kan N, Stemmler M, Junghans D, Kanzler B, de Vries W, Dominis M, et al. Gene replacement reveals a specific role for E-cadherin in the formation of a functional trophectoderm. Development. 2007;134:31-41 pubmed..Thus, N-cadherin can maintain epithelia in differentiating ES cells, but not during the formation of the trophectoderm. Our results point to a specific and unique function for E-cadherin during mouse preimplantation development. ..
- Rabionet M, van der Spoel A, Chuang C, von Tümpling Radosta B, Litjens M, Bouwmeester D, et al. Male germ cells require polyenoic sphingolipids with complex glycosylation for completion of meiosis: a link to ceramide synthase-3. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:13357-69 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data imply that both glycans and the particular acyl chains of germinal sphingolipids are relevant for proper completion of meiosis. ..
- Qu Y, Li M, Zhao Y, Zhao Z, Wei X, Liu J, et al. Astragaloside IV attenuates cerebral ischemia-reperfusion-induced increase in permeability of the blood-brain barrier in rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 2009;606:137-41 pubmed publisher..We propose that regulation of tight junctional proteins in the endothelial cells may be one mechanism astragaloside IV-mediated in attribution to blood-brain barrier protection in the ischemia/reperfusion rats. ..
- Butkevich E, Hülsmann S, Wenzel D, Shirao T, Duden R, Majoul I. Drebrin is a novel connexin-43 binding partner that links gap junctions to the submembrane cytoskeleton. Curr Biol. 2004;14:650-8 pubmed..The rearrangement or disruption of interactions between connexins and the Drebrin-containing submembrane cytoskeleton directs connexins to degradative cellular pathways. ..
- Hyenne V, Louvet Vallee S, El Amraoui A, Petit C, Maro B, Simmler M. Vezatin, a protein associated to adherens junctions, is required for mouse blastocyst morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2005;287:180-91 pubmed..Altogether, these observations demonstrate that vezatin is required for morphogenesis of the preimplantation mouse embryo. ..
- Bort R, Signore M, Tremblay K, Martinez Barbera J, Zaret K. Hex homeobox gene controls the transition of the endoderm to a pseudostratified, cell emergent epithelium for liver bud development. Dev Biol. 2006;290:44-56 pubmed..Thus, Hex promotes endoderm organogenesis by promoting the transition to a pseudostratified epithelium, which in turn allows hepatoblasts to emerge into the stromal environment and continue differentiating. ..
- Capaldo C, Koch S, Kwon M, Laur O, Parkos C, Nusrat A. Tight function zonula occludens-3 regulates cyclin D1-dependent cell proliferation. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:1677-85 pubmed publisher..This study highlights an important new role for ZO family TJ proteins in regulating epithelial cell proliferation through stabilization of cyclin D1 during mitosis. ..
- Xia W, Mruk D, Lee W, Cheng C. Differential interactions between transforming growth factor-beta3/TbetaR1, TAB1, and CD2AP disrupt blood-testis barrier and Sertoli-germ cell adhesion. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:16799-813 pubmed..However, TGF-beta3 selectively disrupts Sertoli-germ cell adhesion in the seminiferous epithelium to facilitate germ cell migration without compromising BTB when TbetaRI interacts only with adaptor CD2AP. ..
- Suzuki T, Yoshida N, Nakabe N, Isozaki Y, Kajikawa H, Takagi T, et al. Prophylactic effect of rebamipide on aspirin-induced gastric lesions and disruption of tight junctional protein zonula occludens-1 distribution. J Pharmacol Sci. 2008;106:469-77 pubmed..These results suggest that rebamipide protects against aspirin-induced gastric mucosal lesions by preserving gastric epithelial cell-to cell integrity in addition to the anti-inflammatory effects. ..
- Rincon Choles H, Vasylyeva T, Pergola P, Bhandari B, Bhandari K, Zhang J, et al. ZO-1 expression and phosphorylation in diabetic nephropathy. Diabetes. 2006;55:894-900 pubmed..These findings suggest that alterations in the content and localization of ZO-1 may be relevant to the pathogenesis of proteinuria in diabetes. ..
- Sasatomi K, Sakisaka S, Kawaguchi T, Hanada S, Taniguchi E, Koga H, et al. Cholestasis in a rat model of graft-versus-host disease is accompanied by alteration of the expression and distribution of tight-junction-associated proteins. Int J Mol Med. 2005;15:431-6 pubmed..Changes in TJ-associated proteins of both hepatocytes and BECs may reflect the immunopathogenesis of GVHD-associated intrahepatic cholestasis. ..
- Barker R, Price R, Gourdie R. Increased co-localization of connexin43 and ZO-1 in dissociated adult myocytes. Cell Commun Adhes. 2001;8:205-8 pubmed..Circ. Res., in press, 2002 and as presented to the 2001 International GJ Conference). This study further assesses the biological relevance of the increased association between ZO-1 and Cx43 accompanying internalization of Cx43-gjs. ..
- Lorthongpanich C, Messerschmidt D, Chan S, Hong W, Knowles B, Solter D. Temporal reduction of LATS kinases in the early preimplantation embryo prevents ICM lineage differentiation. Genes Dev. 2013;27:1441-6 pubmed publisher..We therefore conclude that precisely timed YAP localization in early morulae is essential to prevent trophectoderm marker expression in, and lineage specification of, the ICM. ..
- You K, Xu X, Fu J, Xu S, Yue X, Yu Z, et al. Hyperoxia disrupts pulmonary epithelial barrier in newborn rats via the deterioration of occludin and ZO-1. Respir Res. 2012;13:36 pubmed publisher..This study determines whether changes in tight junctions play an important role in disruption of the pulmonary epithelial barrier during hyperoxic acute lung injury...
- Pulimeno P, Paschoud S, Citi S. A role for ZO-1 and PLEKHA7 in recruiting paracingulin to tight and adherens junctions of epithelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:16743-50 pubmed publisher..In summary, we characterize ZO-1 and PLEKHA7 as paracingulin-interacting proteins that are involved in its recruitment to epithelial tight and adherens junctions, respectively. ..
- Maly I, Landmann L. Bile duct ligation in the rat causes upregulation of ZO-2 and decreased colocalization of claudins with ZO-1 and occludin. Histochem Cell Biol. 2008;129:289-99 pubmed publisher..The highly increased expression and changed distribution of ZO-2 suggests that ZO-1 is partly substituted by ZO-2, an alteration possibly causing impaired barrier function. ..
- Wu Z, Tokuda Y, Zhang X, Nakanishi H. Age-dependent responses of glial cells and leptomeninges during systemic inflammation. Neurobiol Dis. 2008;32:543-51 pubmed publisher..These findings establish that age strongly influences the barrier functions of the leptomeninges through the age-dependent differential glial responses during systemic inflammation. ..
- Kaźmierczak M, Harris S, Kazmierczak P, Shah P, Starovoytov V, Ohlemiller K, et al. Progressive Hearing Loss in Mice Carrying a Mutation in Usp53. J Neurosci. 2015;35:15582-98 pubmed publisher..USP53 colocalizes and interacts with the tight junction scaffolding proteins TJP1 and TJP2 in polarized epithelial cells, suggesting that USP53 is part of the tight junction complex...
- Strumpf D, Mao C, Yamanaka Y, Ralston A, Chawengsaksophak K, Beck F, et al. Cdx2 is required for correct cell fate specification and differentiation of trophectoderm in the mouse blastocyst. Development. 2005;132:2093-102 pubmed..Thus, Cdx2 is essential for segregation of the ICM and TE lineages at the blastocyst stage by ensuring repression of Oct4 and Nanog in the TE. ..
- Wu L, Yin F, Peng J, Wang W, Gan N. [The tight junction proteins ZO-1, occludin and actin participate in the permeability increasing of blood-brain barrier induced by hypoxia-ischemia]. Zhongguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi. 2008;10:513-6 pubmed..The changes in occludin distribution and decreased expression of ZO-1 lead the reorganization of BBB-actin protein, which may be one of the mechanisms of permeability increasing of BBB following HI. ..
- Ikenouchi J, Umeda M. FRMD4A regulates epithelial polarity by connecting Arf6 activation with the PAR complex. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:748-53 pubmed publisher..We propose that the Par-3/FRMD4A/cytohesin-1 complex ensures accurate activation of Arf6, a central player in actin cytoskeleton dynamics and membrane trafficking, during junctional remodeling and epithelial polarization. ..
- Khailova L, Dvorak K, Arganbright K, Williams C, Halpern M, Dvorak B. Changes in hepatic cell junctions structure during experimental necrotizing enterocolitis: effect of EGF treatment. Pediatr Res. 2009;66:140-4 pubmed publisher..These data show that hepatic cellular junctions are significantly altered during NEC pathogenesis. EGF-mediated reduction of experimental NEC is associated with protection of hepatic integrity and structure. ..
- Lu X, Kang X, Zhan L, Lv C, Fan Z, Wang Y, et al. Dai Huang Fu Zi Tang could ameliorate intestinal injury in a rat model of hemorrhagic shock by regulating intestinal blood flow and intestinal expression of p-VASP and ZO-1. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2014;14:80 pubmed publisher..These results reveal that DHFZT improves intestinal blood flow, protects the intestinal barrier function, and ameliorates intestinal endotoxaemia in rats with HS. ..
- Rinehart J, Kahle K, de los Heros P, Vazquez N, Meade P, Wilson F, et al. WNK3 kinase is a positive regulator of NKCC2 and NCC, renal cation-Cl- cotransporters required for normal blood pressure homeostasis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:16777-82 pubmed..The effects of WNK3 on these transporters and their coexpression in renal epithelia implicate WNK3 in NaCl, water, and blood pressure homeostasis, perhaps via signaling downstream of vasopressin. ..
- Komaki R, Togashi H, Takai Y. Regulation of dendritic filopodial interactions by ZO-1 and implications for dendrite morphogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e76201 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that ZO-1 regulates dendritic filopodial dynamics, which is implicated in dendrite morphogenesis cooperatively with the nectin and cadherin systems in cultured neurons. ..
- Tissir F, Qu Y, Montcouquiol M, Zhou L, Komatsu K, Shi D, et al. Lack of cadherins Celsr2 and Celsr3 impairs ependymal ciliogenesis, leading to fatal hydrocephalus. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:700-7 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that planar cell polarity signaling is involved in ependymal cilia development and in the pathophysiology of hydrocephalus, with possible implications in other ciliopathies. ..
- Balbuena P, Li W, Ehrich M. Assessments of tight junction proteins occludin, claudin 5 and scaffold proteins ZO1 and ZO2 in endothelial cells of the rat blood-brain barrier: cellular responses to neurotoxicants malathion and lead acetate. Neurotoxicology. 2011;32:58-67 pubmed publisher..Gene expression determinations did not correlate with the decreases in protein, indicating that the effects on these proteins were post-translational. ..
- Li J, Cong X, Zhang Y, Xiang R, Mei M, Yang N, et al. ZO-1 and -2 Are Required for TRPV1-Modulated Paracellular Permeability. J Dent Res. 2015;94:1748-56 pubmed publisher..RhoA-ROCK signaling pathway is responsible for TRPV1-modulated paracellular permeability as well as ZO-1 and -2 redistribution. ..
- Sheth B, Fontaine J, Ponza E, McCallum A, Page A, Citi S, et al. Differentiation of the epithelial apical junctional complex during mouse preimplantation development: a role for rab13 in the early maturation of the tight junction. Mech Dev. 2000;97:93-104 pubmed..Moreover, we propose a role for rab13 in the specification of the AJC site and the formation and segregation of the TJ. ..
- Laing J, Manley Markowski R, Koval M, Civitelli R, Steinberg T. Connexin45 interacts with zonula occludens-1 in osteoblastic cells. Cell Commun Adhes. 2001;8:209-12 pubmed..Furthermore we found that ZO-1 could bind to peptides derived from the carboxyl terminal of Cx45 that had been covalently bound to an agarose resin. These data suggests that Cx45 and ZO-1 directly interact in ROS/Cx45 cells. ..
- Guillemot L, Schneider Y, Brun P, Castagliuolo I, Pizzuti D, Martines D, et al. Cingulin is dispensable for epithelial barrier function and tight junction structure, and plays a role in the control of claudin-2 expression and response to duodenal mucosa injury. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:5005-14 pubmed publisher
- Siu E, Wong E, Mruk D, Porto C, Cheng C. Focal adhesion kinase is a blood-testis barrier regulator. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:9298-303 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, FAK was shown to be a molecular target of cadmium because its knockdown would desensitize Sertoli cells to cadmium-induced TJ barrier disruption. In summary, FAK is a unique regulator of BTB dynamics in the testis. ..
- Davis B, Tang J, Zhang L, Mu D, Jiang X, Biran V, et al. Role of vasodilator stimulated phosphoprotein in VEGF induced blood-brain barrier permeability in endothelial cell monolayers. Int J Dev Neurosci. 2010;28:423-8 pubmed publisher..We also found that VASP at tight junctions was co-localized with ZO-1 in cell-cell contacts. Our findings show that VASP phosphorylation is affected by hypoxia and VEGFR2 inhibition suggesting a role for VASP in BBB permeability. ..
- Tien T, Barrette K, Chronopoulos A, Roy S. Effects of high glucose-induced Cx43 downregulation on occludin and ZO-1 expression and tight junction barrier function in retinal endothelial cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013;54:6518-25 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that HG-induced downregulation of Cx43 expression and GJIC may contribute to the breakdown of endothelial barrier tight junctions associated with diabetic retinopathy. ..
- Akashi M, Higashi T, Masuda S, Komori T, Furuse M. A coronary artery disease-associated gene product, JCAD/KIAA1462, is a novel component of endothelial cell-cell junctions. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;413:224-9 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that JCAD is a component of VE-cadherin-based cell-cell junctions in endothelial cells. This study also suggests the implication of endothelial cell-cell adhesion in coronary artery disease. ..
- Aho S, Lupo J, Coly P, Sabine A, Castellazzi M, Morand P, et al. Characterization of the ubinuclein protein as a new member of the nuclear and adhesion complex components (NACos). Biol Cell. 2009;101:319-34 pubmed publisher..This recruitment appeared to be dependent on cell density. Therefore ubinuclein is a new NACos (nuclear and adhesion complex component) protein. ..
- Naim E, Bernstein A, Bertram J, Caruana G. Mutagenesis of the epithelial polarity gene, discs large 1, perturbs nephrogenesis in the developing mouse kidney. Kidney Int. 2005;68:955-65 pubmed..1 and/or GUK domains of Dlg1 disrupt epithelial polarity and perturb nephrogenesis either as a secondary consequence to a defect in ureteric branching morphogenesis and/or delay in mesenchyme-to- epithelial transition. ..
- Kawajiri A, Itoh N, Fukata M, Nakagawa M, Yamaga M, Iwamatsu A, et al. Identification of a novel beta-catenin-interacting protein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000;273:712-7 pubmed..KIAA0313 and beta-catenin were partly colocalized at sites of cell-cell contact in MDCKII cells. Taken together, our data suggest that KIAA0313 associates with beta-catenin through KIAA0705 in vivo at sites of cell-cell contact. ..
- Miyoshi K, Shillingford J, Smith G, Grimm S, Wagner K, Oka T, et al. Signal transducer and activator of transcription (Stat) 5 controls the proliferation and differentiation of mammary alveolar epithelium. J Cell Biol. 2001;155:531-42 pubmed..These data demonstrate that signaling via the PrlR and Stat5 is critical for the proliferation and differentiation of mammary alveoli during pregnancy. ..
- Li F, Li Y. Interleukin-6, desmosome and tight junction protein expression levels in reflux esophagitis-affected mucosa. World J Gastroenterol. 2009;15:3621-30 pubmed..These findings indicate that TJ proteins are highly expressed as an early molecular event involved in RE development, and that IL-6 is an inflammatory factor in this process. ..
- Mandal M, Vasireddy V, Reddy G, Wang X, Moroi S, Pattnaik B, et al. CTRP5 is a membrane-associated and secretory protein in the RPE and ciliary body and the S163R mutation of CTRP5 impairs its secretion. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006;47:5505-13 pubmed..CTRP5, a secretory and membrane-associated protein, is localized to the lateral and apical membranes of the RPE and CB. Impaired secretion of the mutant protein may underlie the pathophysiology of L-ORD and LAZ. ..
- Etournay R, Zwaenepoel I, Perfettini I, Legrain P, Petit C, El Amraoui A. Shroom2, a myosin-VIIa- and actin-binding protein, directly interacts with ZO-1 at tight junctions. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2838-50 pubmed..In Ca(2+)-switch experiments on MDCK cells, ZO-1 (also known as TJP1) preceded GFP-tagged shroom2 at the differentiating tight junctions...
- Trinh L, Brignole Baudouin F, Labbe A, Raphael M, Bourges J, Baudouin C. The corneal endothelium in an endotoxin-induced uveitis model: correlation between in vivo confocal microscopy and immunohistochemistry. Mol Vis. 2008;14:1149-56 pubmed..Based on these findings, in vivo confocal microscopy in clinical practice could be very helpful to better analyze keratic precipitates and corneal modifications in patients with uveitis. ..
- Cohen C, Shieh J, Pickles R, Okegawa T, Hsieh J, Bergelson J. The coxsackievirus and adenovirus receptor is a transmembrane component of the tight junction. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:15191-6 pubmed..These results indicate that CAR is a component of the tight junction and of the functional barrier to paracellular solute movement. Sequestration of CAR in tight junctions may limit virus infection across epithelial surfaces. ..
- Sorgen P, Duffy H, Sahoo P, Coombs W, Delmar M, Spray D. Structural changes in the carboxyl terminus of the gap junction protein connexin43 indicates signaling between binding domains for c-Src and zonula occludens-1. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:54695-701 pubmed
- Elias B, Suzuki T, Seth A, Giorgianni F, Kale G, Shen L, et al. Phosphorylation of Tyr-398 and Tyr-402 in occludin prevents its interaction with ZO-1 and destabilizes its assembly at the tight junctions. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:1559-69 pubmed publisher..This study reveals a unique motif in the occludin sequence that is involved in the regulation of ZO-1 binding by reversible phosphorylation of specific Tyr residues. ..
- Patibandla P, Tyagi N, Dean W, Tyagi S, Roberts A, Lominadze D. Fibrinogen induces alterations of endothelial cell tight junction proteins. J Cell Physiol. 2009;221:195-203 pubmed publisher..Therefore, increased binding of Fg to its major EC receptor, ICAM-1, during cardiovascular diseases may increase microvascular permeability by altering the content and possibly subcellular localization of endothelial TJPs. ..
- Kidson S, Kume T, Deng K, Winfrey V, Hogan B. The forkhead/winged-helix gene, Mf1, is necessary for the normal development of the cornea and formation of the anterior chamber in the mouse eye. Dev Biol. 1999;211:306-22 pubmed..layer, as judged by electron microscopy and by absence of labeling with monoclonal antibody to zonula occludens protein 1, a normal component of occluding junctions in wild-type endothelial cells...
- Simard J, Geng Z, Woo S, Ivanova S, Tosun C, Melnichenko L, et al. Glibenclamide reduces inflammation, vasogenic edema, and caspase-3 activation after subarachnoid hemorrhage. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2009;29:317-30 pubmed publisher..immunoglobulin G, IgG extravasation), and its correlate, the localization of the tight junction protein, zona occludens 1 (ZO-1)...
- Manabe N, Hirai S, Imai F, Nakanishi H, Takai Y, Ohno S. Association of ASIP/mPAR-3 with adherens junctions of mouse neuroepithelial cells. Dev Dyn. 2002;225:61-9 pubmed
- Vinot S, Le T, Ohno S, Pawson T, Maro B, Louvet Vallee S. Asymmetric distribution of PAR proteins in the mouse embryo begins at the 8-cell stage during compaction. Dev Biol. 2005;282:307-19 pubmed..Finally, they reinforce the idea that the first developmentally relevant asymmetries are set up during compaction...
- Yu W, Eom Y, Shin J, Nair D, Grzywacz S, Grzywacz N, et al. Reshaping the Cone-Mosaic in a Rat Model of Retinitis Pigmentosa: Modulatory Role of ZO-1 Expression in DL-Alpha-Aminoadipic Acid Reshaping. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0151668 pubmed publisher..These studies represent important advancements in the understanding of retinal degeneration's etiology and pathophysiology. ..
- Unda F, Perez Nanclares G, Le Morvan V, Hernandez C, Vilaxa A, de la Fuente M, et al. Dynamic assembly of tight junction-associated proteins ZO-1, ZO-2, ZO-3 and occludin during mouse tooth development. Histol Histopathol. 2003;18:27-38 pubmed publisher..The occurrence and relation during tooth development of tight junction proteins ZO-1, ZO-2 and occludin, but not ZO-3, suggests a combinatory assembly in tooth morphogenesis and cell differentiation. ..
- Qiu L, Ding G, Zhang Y, Zhou Y, Wang X, Li K, et al. [Effects of electromagnetic pulse on blood-brain barrier permeability and tight junction proteins in rats]. Zhonghua Lao Dong Wei Sheng Zhi Ye Bing Za Zhi. 2009;27:539-43 pubmed..The EMP exposure (200 kV/m, 200 pulses) could increase blood-brain barrier permeability in rat, and this change is associated with specific alterations in tight junction protein ZO-1. ..
- Rash J, Pereda A, Kamasawa N, Furman C, Yasumura T, Davidson K, et al. High-resolution proteomic mapping in the vertebrate central nervous system: close proximity of connexin35 to NMDA glutamate receptor clusters and co-localization of connexin36 with immunoreactivity for zonula occludens protein-1 (ZO-1). J Neurocytol. 2004;33:131-51 pubmed..intermediate-range molecular interactions in the complex membrane appositions at synapses between neurons. ..
- Wagner M, Rhodes G, Wang E, Pruthi V, Arif E, Saleem M, et al. Ischemic injury to kidney induces glomerular podocyte effacement and dissociation of slit diaphragm proteins Neph1 and ZO-1. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:35579-89 pubmed publisher..This study documents that renal ischemia induces dynamic changes in the molecular interactions between slit diaphragm proteins, leading to podocyte damage and proteinuria. ..
- Yamazaki D, Funato Y, Miura J, Sato S, Toyosawa S, Furutani K, et al. Basolateral Mg2+ extrusion via CNNM4 mediates transcellular Mg2+ transport across epithelia: a mouse model. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003983 pubmed publisher..Missense point mutations associated with the disease abolish the Mg(2+) extrusion activity. These results demonstrate the crucial importance of Mg(2+) extrusion by CNNM4 in organismal and topical regulation of magnesium. ..
- Ohta H, Adachi H, Inaba M. Developmental changes in the expression of tight junction protein claudins in murine metanephroi and embryonic kidneys. J Vet Med Sci. 2006;68:149-55 pubmed
- Qiao X, Roth I, FÃ©raille E, Hasler U. Different effects of ZO-1, ZO-2 and ZO-3 silencing on kidney collecting duct principal cell proliferation and adhesion. Cell Cycle. 2014;13:3059-75 pubmed publisher..These data reveal diverging, but interconnected, roles for each ZO protein in mCCDcl1 proliferation. While ZO-1 and ZO-2 participate in cell cycle progression, ZO-3 is an important component of cell adhesion. ..
- Pantaleon M, Kanai Azuma M, Mattick J, Kaibuchi K, Kaye P, Wood S. FAM deubiquitylating enzyme is essential for preimplantation mouse embryo development. Mech Dev. 2001;109:151-60 pubmed..However, the nascent protein was mislocalised at the apical surface of blastomeres. Therefore FAM is required for preimplantation mouse embryo development and regulates beta-catenin and AF-6 in vivo. ..
- Sun Y, Chen W, Zhang T, Cao H, Zhou J. Effects of cardiopulmonary bypass on tight junction protein expressions in intestinal mucosa of rats. World J Gastroenterol. 2008;14:5868-75 pubmed..The close correlation between expression of tight junctions (TJs) and plasma levels of DAO or d-lactate supports the hypothesis that intestinal permeability increases during and after CPB because of decreases in the expressions of TJs. ..
- Su L, Mruk D, Lui W, Lee W, Cheng C. P-glycoprotein regulates blood-testis barrier dynamics via its effects on the occludin/zonula occludens 1 (ZO-1) protein complex mediated by focal adhesion kinase (FAK). Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:19623-8 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that P-glycoprotein is involved in BTB restructuring during spermatogenesis but that P-glycoprotein-mediated restructuring does not "open up" the BTB to make it freely permeable to drugs...
- Palatinus J, O Quinn M, Barker R, Harris B, Jourdan J, Gourdie R. ZO-1 determines adherens and gap junction localization at intercalated disks. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2011;300:H583-94 pubmed publisher..We conclude that ZO-1 regulation of GJ localization is via an association with the N-cadherin multiprotein complex and that this is a key determinant of stable localization of both AJs and GJs at the ICD. ..