Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Thbs1
Description: thrombospondin 1
Alias: TSP-1, Tsp1, thrombospondin-1
- Bale M, Westrick L, Mosher D. Incorporation of thrombospondin into fibrin clots. J Biol Chem. 1985;260:7502-8 pubmed..These results indicate that thrombospondin specifically co-polymerizes with fibrin during blood coagulation and may be an important modulator of clot structure. ..
- Tang M, Zhou F, Zhang W, Guo Z, Shang Y, Lu H, et al. The role of thrombospondin-1-mediated TGF-?1 on collagen type III synthesis induced by high glucose. Mol Cell Biochem. 2011;346:49-56 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the TSP-1 participates in the upregulation of TGF-?1, collagen type III by high glucose and may provide new therapeutic strategies for diabetic cardiomyopathy. ..
- Jayakumar A, Tong X, Shamaladevi N, Barcelona S, Gaidosh G, Agarwal A, et al. Defective synthesis and release of astrocytic thrombospondin-1 mediates the neuronal TDP-43 proteinopathy, resulting in defects in neuronal integrity associated with chronic traumatic encephalopathy: in vitro studies. J Neurochem. 2017;140:645-661 pubmed publisher..Read the Editorial Highlight for this article on page 531. ..
- Chen Y, Wang X, Weng D, Tao S, Lv L, Chen J. A TSP-1 functional fragment inhibits activation of latent transforming growth factor-beta1 derived from rat alveolar macrophage after bleomycin treatment. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2009;61:67-73 pubmed publisher..05 or P<0.01). These findings suggest that TSP-1 functional fragments could inhibit the activation of L-TGF-beta1 secreted by activated alveolar macrophages through blocking the binding of TSP-1 to CD36. ..
- Anderson C, Hastings N, Blackman B, Price R. Capillary sprout endothelial cells exhibit a CD36 low phenotype: regulation by shear stress and vascular endothelial growth factor-induced mechanism for attenuating anti-proliferative thrombospondin-1 signaling. Am J Pathol. 2008;173:1220-8 pubmed publisher..Additionally, CD36 was shown to function as a potential molecular linkage through which wall shear stress may regulate both microvessel sprouting and quiescence. ..
- Okada Tsuchioka M, Segawa M, Kajitani N, Hisaoka Nakashima K, Shibasaki C, Morinobu S, et al. Electroconvulsive seizure induces thrombospondin-1 in the adult rat hippocampus. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2014;48:236-44 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that repeated ECS, but not chronic treatment with antidepressants, induces TSP-1 expression partially via the activation of astrocytes. Therefore, TSP-1 is possibly involved in the synaptogenic effects of ECS. ..
- Motegi K, Harada K, Ohe G, Jones S, Ellis I, Crouch D, et al. Differential involvement of TGF-beta1 in mediating the motogenic effects of TSP-1 on endothelial cells, fibroblasts and oral tumour cells. Exp Cell Res. 2008;314:2323-33 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the effects of TSP-1 on endothelial cell migration are mediated by TGF-beta1, whereas the effects on fibroblast and tumour cell migration are TGF-beta1-independent. ..
- Ueki T, Toyota M, Sohn T, Yeo C, Issa J, Hruban R, et al. Hypermethylation of multiple genes in pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Cancer Res. 2000;60:1835-9 pubmed..The genes analyzed included RARbeta (methylated in 20%), p16 (18%), CACNA1G (16%), TIMP-3 (11%), E-cad (7%), THBS1 (7%), hMLH1 (4%), DAP kinase (2%), and MGMT (0%)...
- Kuznetsov G, Chen L, Nigam S. Multiple molecular chaperones complex with misfolded large oligomeric glycoproteins in the endoplasmic reticulum. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:3057-63 pubmed..We therefore propose that these ER chaperones complex together with a variety of large oligomeric secretory glycoproteins as they fold and assemble in the ER. ..
- Silverstein R, Leung L, Harpel P, Nachman R. Complex formation of platelet thrombospondin with plasminogen. Modulation of activation by tissue activator. J Clin Invest. 1984;74:1625-33 pubmed..These studies support the hypothesis that TSP, acting as a multifunctional regulator in focal areas of active hemostasis, could serve as a prothrombotic influence, leading to increased deposition of fibrin. ..
- Pan X, Peng L, Han Z, Yin G, Song Y, Huang J. Hirudin promotes angiogenesis by modulating the cross-talk between p38 MAPK and ERK in rat ischemic skin flap tissue. Tissue Cell. 2015;47:301-10 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, these observations suggest that hirudin exerts its angiogenesis effect by regulating the expression of angiogenic and antiangiogenic factors via a cross-talk of p38 MAPK-ERK pathway. ..
- Aishima S, Taguchi K, Sugimachi K, Asayama Y, Nishi H, Shimada M, et al. The role of thymidine phosphorylase and thrombospondin-1 in angiogenesis and progression of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. Int J Surg Pathol. 2002;10:47-56 pubmed..The TP and TSP-1 expression in ICC may enhance tumor aggressiveness. ..
- Volpert O, Pili R, Sikder H, Nelius T, Zaichuk T, Morris C, et al. Id1 regulates angiogenesis through transcriptional repression of thrombospondin-1. Cancer Cell. 2002;2:473-83 pubmed..This decrease was completely reversed by a TSP-1 neutralizing antibody. We conclude that TSP-1 is a major target for Id1 effects on angiogenesis. ..
- Rico M, Manns J, Driban J, Uknis A, Kunapuli S, DeLa Cadena R. Thrombospondin-1 and transforming growth factor beta are pro-inflammatory molecules in rheumatoid arthritis. Transl Res. 2008;152:95-8 pubmed publisherThrombospondin-1 (TSP1/THBS1) plays a major role in the pathophysiology of rheumatoid arthritis (RA); however, its interface with the cytokine network involved in RA has not been delineated...
- Feng N, Wang Z, Zhang Z, He X, Wang C, Zhang L. miR-487b promotes human umbilical vein endothelial cell proliferation, migration, invasion and tube formation through regulating THBS1. Neurosci Lett. 2015;591:1-7 pubmed publisher..Using bioinformatic analysis, we found a putative binding site of miR-487b in the 3' untranslated regions of Thrombospondin 1 mRNA, an endogenous inhibitor of angiogenesis. This direct binding was confirmed by luciferase assay...
- Rege T, Stewart J, Dranka B, Benveniste E, Silverstein R, Gladson C. Thrombospondin-1-induced apoptosis of brain microvascular endothelial cells can be mediated by TNF-R1. J Cell Physiol. 2009;218:94-103 pubmed publisher..These data identify a novel mechanism whereby TSP-1 can inhibit angiogenesis-through induction of apoptosis in a process mediated by TNF-R1. ..
- Lawler J, Slayter H, Coligan J. Isolation and characterization of a high molecular weight glycoprotein from human blood platelets. J Biol Chem. 1978;253:8609-16 pubmed..7 as well as a relatively high degree of purity. Degradation of the intact molecule with trypsin yields a stable core particle of molecular weight 210,000 comprised of three 70,000 chains. ..
- Sun H, Zhao Y, Bi X, Li S, Su G, Miao Y, et al. Valsartan blocks thrombospondin/transforming growth factor/Smads to inhibit aortic remodeling in diabetic rats. Diagn Pathol. 2015;10:18 pubmed publisher..We aimed to determine whether an aberrant thrombospondin 1 (TSP1)-mediated TGFÎ²1/Smads signaling pathway specifically affects vascular fibrosis in diabetic rats and ..
- Pallero M, Talbert Roden M, Chen Y, Anderson P, Lemons J, Brott B, et al. Stainless steel ions stimulate increased thrombospondin-1-dependent TGF-beta activation by vascular smooth muscle cells: implications for in-stent restenosis. J Vasc Res. 2010;47:309-22 pubmed publisher..We hypothesized that SS ions induce the latent TGF-beta activator, thrombospondin-1 (TSP1), through altered oxidative signaling to stimulate increased TGF-beta activation and VSMC phenotype change.
- McGray A, Gingerich T, Petrik J, LaMarre J. Rapid insulin-like growth factor-1-induced changes in granulosa cell thrombospondin-1 expression in vitro. J Reprod Dev. 2011;57:76-83 pubmed..The decrease depends on an intrinsically short half-life of TSP-1 mRNA and protein. The short mRNA half life is due, at least in part, to AU-rich elements in the 3'UTR of the TSP-1 mRNA. ..
- Bigé N, Shweke N, Benhassine S, Jouanneau C, Vandermeersch S, Dussaule J, et al. Thrombospondin-1 plays a profibrotic and pro-inflammatory role during ureteric obstruction. Kidney Int. 2012;81:1226-38 pubmed publisher..Thus, TSP-1 is an important profibrotic and inflammatory mediator of renal disease. Blockade of its action may be a treatment against the development of chronic kidney disease. ..
- Bhattacharyya S, Marinic T, Krukovets I, Hoppe G, Stenina O. Cell type-specific post-transcriptional regulation of production of the potent antiangiogenic and proatherogenic protein thrombospondin-1 by high glucose. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:5699-707 pubmed..The cell-specific regulation of TSP-1 suggests a potential mechanism for the aberrant angiogenesis in diabetics and TSP-1 involvement in development of various vascular diabetic complications. ..
- Asch A, Barnwell J, Silverstein R, Nachman R. Isolation of the thrombospondin membrane receptor. J Clin Invest. 1987;79:1054-61 pubmed..Binding of TSP to the isolated membrane protein was specific and saturable. These studies identify an 88-kD membrane glycoprotein that reacts with the monoclonal antibody, OKM5, and may function as the cellular TSP receptor. ..
- Qabar A, Lin Z, Wolf F, O Shea K, Lawler J, Dixit V. Thrombospondin 3 is a developmentally regulated heparin binding protein. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:1262-9 pubmed..Finally, a combination of in situ hybridization and immunocytochemistry demonstrated TSP3 to be expressed in a temporal and spatial manner during murine embryogenesis, especially in the gut, cartilage, lung, and central nervous system. ..
- Elpek G, Gokhan G, Bozova S. Thrombospondin-1 expression correlates with angiogenesis in experimental cirrhosis. World J Gastroenterol. 2008;14:2213-7 pubmed
- Mumby S, Raugi G, Bornstein P. Interactions of thrombospondin with extracellular matrix proteins: selective binding to type V collagen. J Cell Biol. 1984;98:646-52 pubmed..Our findings suggest that both the extravascular distribution and function of TS in vivo may involve an interaction with type V collagen. ..
- Abu Farha M, Tiss A, Abubaker J, Khadir A, Al Ghimlas F, Al Khairi I, et al. Proteomics analysis of human obesity reveals the epigenetic factor HDAC4 as a potential target for obesity. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75342 pubmed publisher..b>Thrombospondin 1 (TSP1) was among the proteins that were upregulated in obese subjects and then decreased by physical exercise...
- Hennekinne L, Colasse S, Triller A, Renner M. Differential control of thrombospondin over synaptic glycine and AMPA receptors in spinal cord neurons. J Neurosci. 2013;33:11432-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a role of TSP-1 in controlling the balance between excitation and inhibition which could help the recovery of normal synaptic activity after injury responses. ..
- Martin Manso G, Navarathna D, Galli S, Soto Pantoja D, Kuznetsova S, Tsokos M, et al. Endogenous thrombospondin-1 regulates leukocyte recruitment and activation and accelerates death from systemic candidiasis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e48775 pubmed publisher..Conversely, inhibitors of thrombospondin-1 may be useful drugs to improve patient recovery from disseminated candidiasis. ..
- Chen J, Zhan Y, Yang C, Tzeng S. Oxidative stress-induced attenuation of thrombospondin-1 expression in primary rat astrocytes. J Cell Biochem. 2011;112:59-70 pubmed publisher..This inhibition may occur after CNS injury and impair the supportive function of astrocytes on neurite growth in the injured CNS tissues. ..
- Wang J, Zhang X, Zhang H. [The study of thrombospondin-I (TSP1) expression in the early stages of diabetic retinopathy induced by streptozotocin]. Fen Zi Xi Bao Sheng Wu Xue Bao. 2006;39:431-7 pubmedThrombospondin1 (TSP1) is a known antiangiogenic factor, but its possible alteration during the early stages of diabetic retinopathy has not been explored yet...
- Yang Y, Cheng D, Zheng X, Li F, Yang G. [Expression of thrombospondin-1 in the lung of hypoxic pulmonary hypertension rats]. Sichuan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban. 2012;43:19-23 pubmed..01). The expression of TSP-1 appears to be increased in hypoxic pulmonary hypertension rats, which may contribute to the pathogenesis of hypoxic pulmonary vascular remodeling. ..
- Lynch J, Maillet M, Vanhoutte D, Schloemer A, Sargent M, Blair N, et al. A thrombospondin-dependent pathway for a protective ER stress response. Cell. 2012;149:1257-68 pubmed publisher..Hence, Thbs can function inside the cell during disease remodeling to augment ER function and protect through a mechanism involving regulation of Atf6?. ..
- Cunha D, Cito M, Carlsson P, Vanderwinden J, Molkentin J, Bugliani M, et al. Thrombospondin 1 protects pancreatic Î²-cells from lipotoxicity via the PERK-NRF2 pathway. Cell Death Differ. 2016;23:1995-2006 pubmed publisher..Here we show a critical novel role for thrombospondin 1 (THBS1) in Î²-cell survival during lipotoxic stress in rat, mouse and human models...
- Tobita K, Kijima H, Dowaki S, Oida Y, Kashiwagi H, Ishii M, et al. Thrombospondin-1 expression as a prognostic predictor of pancreatic ductal carcinoma. Int J Oncol. 2002;21:1189-95 pubmed..These observations suggested that TSP-1 plays important roles in cancer cell growth and metastasis of human pancreatic cancer, and that stromal TSP-1 immunoreactivity is a good prognostic predictor of patients with pancreatic cancer. ..
- De Stefano D, Nicolaus G, Maiuri M, Cipolletta D, Galluzzi L, Cinelli M, et al. NF-kappaB blockade upregulates Bax, TSP-1, and TSP-2 expression in rat granulation tissue. J Mol Med (Berl). 2009;87:481-92 pubmed publisher..Our findings show that the blockade of NF-kappaB activation by WT ODN decoy prevents the development of granulation tissue induced by lambda-carrageenin-soaked sponge implant upregulating Bax as well as TSP-1 and TSP-2 expression. ..
- Colombel M, Filleur S, Fournier P, Merle C, Guglielmi J, Courtin A, et al. Androgens repress the expression of the angiogenesis inhibitor thrombospondin-1 in normal and neoplastic prostate. Cancer Res. 2005;65:300-8 pubmedIn order to understand why the angiogenesis inhibitor thrombospondin-1 (TSP1) is often, although not always, associated with prostatic tumors, we have investigated its relationship with the testosterone and the vasculature on which both ..
- Garside S, Harlow C, Hillier S, Fraser H, Thomas F. Thrombospondin-1 inhibits angiogenesis and promotes follicular atresia in a novel in vitro angiogenesis assay. Endocrinology. 2010;151:1280-9 pubmed publisher..As such, it may have potential as a therapeutic for abnormal ovarian angiogenesis and could facilitate the destruction of abnormal follicles observed in polycystic ovary syndrome. ..
- Isenberg J, Ridnour L, Perruccio E, Espey M, Wink D, Roberts D. Thrombospondin-1 inhibits endothelial cell responses to nitric oxide in a cGMP-dependent manner. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:13141-6 pubmed..explants in 3D culture, we found that explants from mice lacking the angiogenesis inhibitor thrombospondin-1 (TSP1) exhibit exaggerated angiogenic responses to an exogenous NO donor, which could be reversed by providing exogenous ..
- García Díaz D, Arellano A, Milagro F, Moreno Aliaga M, Portillo M, Martinez J, et al. Glucose and insulin modify thrombospondin 1 expression and secretion in primary adipocytes from diet-induced obese rats. J Physiol Biochem. 2011;67:453-61 pubmed publisherb>Thrombospondin 1 (TSP-1), an antiangiogenic factor and transforming growth factor (TGF)-? activity regulator, has been recently recognized as an adipokine that correlates with obesity, inflammation and insulin resistance processes...
- Yehualaeshet T, O CONNOR R, Green Johnson J, Mai S, Silverstein R, Murphy Ullrich J, et al. Activation of rat alveolar macrophage-derived latent transforming growth factor beta-1 by plasmin requires interaction with thrombospondin-1 and its cell surface receptor, CD36. Am J Pathol. 1999;155:841-51 pubmed..These findings suggest that activation of L-TGF-beta1 by plasmin occurs at the cell surface of activated alveolar macrophages and requires a TSP-1/CD36 interaction. ..
- Wang J, Tao J, Chen D, Cai J, Irani K, Wang Q, et al. MicroRNA miR-27b rescues bone marrow-derived angiogenic cell function and accelerates wound healing in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2014;34:99-109 pubmed publisher..miR-27b rescues impaired BMAC angiogenesis via TSP-1 suppression, semaphorin 6A expression, and p66shc-dependent mitochondrial oxidative stress and improves BMAC therapy in wound healing in type 2 diabetic mice. ..
- Hugo C, Kang D, Johnson R. Sustained expression of thrombospondin-1 is associated with the development of glomerular and tubulointerstitial fibrosis in the remnant kidney model. Nephron. 2002;90:460-70 pubmed..In the remnant kidney model, the time course and localization of TSP-1 are consistent with its playing a role as a local activator of TGF-beta1, thereby potentially participating in the development of nephrosclerosis. ..
- Daniel C, Wiede J, Krutzsch H, Ribeiro S, Roberts D, Murphy Ullrich J, et al. Thrombospondin-1 is a major activator of TGF-beta in fibrotic renal disease in the rat in vivo. Kidney Int. 2004;65:459-68 pubmed..b>Thrombospondin 1 (TSP1), a multifunctional matricellular glycoprotein, has been identified as an activator of TGF-beta in in ..
- Venkatraman L, Chia S, Narmada B, White J, Bhowmick S, Forbes Dewey C, et al. Plasmin triggers a switch-like decrease in thrombospondin-dependent activation of TGF-?1. Biophys J. 2012;103:1060-8 pubmed..Plasmin (PLS) and thrombospondin-1 (TSP1) have been studied individually as activators of TGF-?1, and in this work we used a systems-level approach with ..
- Daniel C, Takabatake Y, Mizui M, Isaka Y, Kawashi H, Rupprecht H, et al. Antisense oligonucleotides against thrombospondin-1 inhibit activation of tgf-beta in fibrotic renal disease in the rat in vivo. Am J Pathol. 2003;163:1185-92 pubmed..Thrombospondin-1 (TSP1) has been identified as an activator of latent TGF-beta in in vitro systems and in pancreas and lung homeostasis in ..
- Lee S, Kim W, Jung H, Yang M, Kang G. Aberrant CpG island methylation of multiple genes in intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. Am J Pathol. 2002;161:1015-22 pubmed..5% for 14-3-3sigma,26.6% for APC, 21.5% for E-cadherin, 17.7% for p16, 11.4% for MGMT, 11.4% for THBS1, 8.9% for p14, 8.9% for TIMP3, 7.6% for DAP-kinase,6.3% for GSTP1, 5.1% for COX-2, 50.6% for MINT12, 40...
- Kim D, Li K, Boroujerdi A, Peter Yu Y, Zhou C, Deng P, et al. Thrombospondin-4 contributes to spinal sensitization and neuropathic pain states. J Neurosci. 2012;32:8977-87 pubmed publisher..Development of TSP4 antagonists has the therapeutic potential for target-specific neuropathic pain management. ..
- Hamakawa T, Sasaki S, Shibata Y, Imura M, Kubota Y, Kojima Y, et al. Interleukin-18 may lead to benign prostatic hyperplasia via thrombospondin-1 production in prostatic smooth muscle cells. Prostate. 2014;74:590-601 pubmed publisher..TSP-1 promoted proliferation of the human prostate stromal cells (PrSC). IL-18 may act directly in BPH pathogenesis by inducing TSP-1 production in prostatic smooth muscle cells via Akt phosphorylation. ..
- Moralez A, Maile L, Clarke J, Busby W, Clemmons D. Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-5 (IGFBP-5) interacts with thrombospondin-1 to induce negative regulatory effects on IGF-I actions. J Cell Physiol. 2005;203:328-34 pubmed
- Fang X, Fang M, Fan S, Gu C. Protection of erythropoietin on experimental spinal cord injury by reducing the expression of thrombospondin-1 and transforming growth factor-beta. Chin Med J (Engl). 2009;122:1631-5 pubmed..EPO treatment can effectively prevent pathological alterations from severe spinal cord injury by reduced expression of TSP-1 and TGF-beta. ..
- Garcia O, Torres M, Helguera P, Coskun P, Busciglio J. A role for thrombospondin-1 deficits in astrocyte-mediated spine and synaptic pathology in Down's syndrome. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e14200 pubmed publisher..We also show that thrombospondin 1 (TSP-1), an astrocyte-secreted protein, possesses a potent modulatory effect on spine number and morphology, ..