Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Tf
Alias: Tfn, Trf, serotransferrin, beta-1 metal-binding globulin, liver regeneration-related protein LRRG03, siderophilin
- Han J, Day J, Connor J, Beard J. Gene expression of transferrin and transferrin receptor in brains of control vs. iron-deficient rats. Nutr Neurosci. 2003;6:1-10 pubmedThe mechanism of the regulation of transferrin (Tf) and transferrin receptor (TfR) levels in rat brain by dietary iron status is not fully elucidated...
- Zou C, Xie R, Bao Y, Liu X, Sui M, M S, et al. Iron chelator alleviates tubulointerstitial fibrosis in diabetic nephropathy rats by inhibiting the expression of tenascinC and other correlation factors. Endocrine. 2013;44:666-74 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrated the anti-fibrosis potential and renoprotective effects of deferiprone for diabetic nephropathy, and this process was partially mediated by tenascin C blocking. ..
- Waheed A, Britton R, Grubb J, Sly W, Fleming R. HFE association with transferrin receptor 2 increases cellular uptake of transferrin-bound iron. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2008;474:193-7 pubmed publisher..These observations indicate that HFE influences the functional properties of TfR2, and suggests a model in which the interaction of these proteins might influence signal transduction to hepcidin. ..
- Lee P, Halloran C, Trevino R, Felitti V, Beutler E. Human transferrin G277S mutation: a risk factor for iron deficiency anaemia. Br J Haematol. 2001;115:329-33 pubmed
- Moshtaghie M, Malekpouri P, Dinko M, Moshtaghie A. Changes in serum parameters associated with iron metabolism in male rat exposed to lead. J Physiol Biochem. 2013;69:297-304 pubmed publisher..05) in all Pb(2+)-treated animals in comparison with the controls. These results suggest that Pb(2+) changes the serum parameters related to iron metabolism, which may play an important role in producing iron-related diseases. ..
- Silvestroff L, Franco P, Pasquini J. Neural and oligodendrocyte progenitor cells: transferrin effects on cell proliferation. ASN Neuro. 2013;5:e00107 pubmed publisher..We cultured the SVZ tissue belonging to newborn rats under the form of NS (neurospheres) to evaluate the effects of Tf (transferrin) on cell proliferation...
- Lin C, Wu V, Li W, Sy H, Wu S, Chang C, et al. Restless legs syndrome in end-stage renal disease: a multicenter study in Taiwan. Eur J Neurol. 2013;20:1025-31 pubmed publisher..Clinicians should have a high suspicion for the presence of RLS symptoms in patients with ESRD, especially those with type 2 diabetes, anemia, low serum iron status and long duration of dialysis. ..
- Schreiber G, Dryburgh H, Millership A, Matsuda Y, Inglis A, Phillips J, et al. The synthesis and secretion of rat transferrin. J Biol Chem. 1979;254:12013-9 pubmed
- Ji C, Kosman D. Molecular mechanisms of non-transferrin-bound and transferring-bound iron uptake in primary hippocampal neurons. J Neurochem. 2015;133:668-83 pubmed publisher..Zip8 and Steap2 are strongly expressed in the plasma membrane of both soma and processes, implying a crucial role in iron accumulation from NTBI and transferrin-bound iron (TBI) by hippocampal neurons. ..
- Tan E, Bahrami S, Kozlov A, Kurvers H, ter Laak H, Nohl H, et al. The oxidative response in the chronic constriction injury model of neuropathic pain. J Surg Res. 2009;152:84-8 pubmed publisher..Our findings of a decreased level of RONS in combination with an increased level of the antioxidant GSH suggest that an overshoot of antioxidant activity overrules initial oxidative stress. ..
- Sheikh N, Dudas J, Ramadori G. Changes of gene expression of iron regulatory proteins during turpentine oil-induced acute-phase response in the rat. Lab Invest. 2007;87:713-25 pubmed..Under acute-phase conditions, acute-phase cytokines (eg IL-6) may modulate the gene expression of such proteins not only in the liver but also in other organs. ..
- Liu G, Wang C, Liu H, Yang K. [Effects of p,p'-dDE on the expression of androgen-binding protein, transferrin and inhibin B mRNA in rat sertoli cells]. Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue. 2006;12:104-7, 111 pubmedTo explore effects of p, p'DDE on the expression of androgen binding protein (ABP), transferrin (Tf) and inhibin B (INH B) mRNA in testis Sertoli cells of Sprague Dawley rats...
- Yasuda J, Eguchi H, Fujiwara N, Ookawara T, Kojima S, Yamaguchi Y, et al. Reactive oxygen species modify oligosaccharides of glycoproteins in vivo: a study of a spontaneous acute hepatitis model rat (LEC rat). Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;342:127-34 pubmed..This is the first evidence to show that ROS result in the cleavage of oligosaccharides of glycoproteins in vivo, and indicate this cleavage of oligosaccharides may contribute the development of acute hepatitis. ..
- Muir T, Sadler Riggleman I, Skinner M. Role of the basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor, scleraxis, in the regulation of Sertoli cell function and differentiation. Mol Endocrinol. 2005;19:2164-74 pubmed..This is one of the first adult and nontendon/chondrocyte-associated functions described for scleraxis. ..
- Mastroberardino P, Hoffman E, Horowitz M, Betarbet R, Taylor G, Cheng D, et al. A novel transferrin/TfR2-mediated mitochondrial iron transport system is disrupted in Parkinson's disease. Neurobiol Dis. 2009;34:417-31 pubmed publisher..Here, we report a novel transferrin/transferrin receptor 2 (Tf/TfR2)-mediated iron transport pathway in mitochondria of SN dopamine neurons...
- McKie A, Barrow D, Latunde Dada G, Rolfs A, Sager G, Mudaly E, et al. An iron-regulated ferric reductase associated with the absorption of dietary iron. Science. 2001;291:1755-9 pubmed..Duodenal expression levels of Dcytb messenger RNA and protein were regulated by changes in physiological modulators of iron absorption. Thus, Dcytb provides an important element in the iron absorption pathway. ..
- Deane E, Ilie A, Sizdahkhani S, Das Gupta M, Orlowski J, McKinney R. Enhanced recruitment of endosomal Na+/H+ exchanger NHE6 into Dendritic spines of hippocampal pyramidal neurons during NMDA receptor-dependent long-term potentiation. J Neurosci. 2013;33:595-610 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that NHE6 may play a unique, previously unrecognized, role at glutamatergic synapses that are important for learning and memory...
- Marziali L, Garcia C, Pasquini J. Transferrin and thyroid hormone converge in the control of myelinogenesis. Exp Neurol. 2015;265:129-41 pubmed publisher..We have also demonstrated that Tf mRNA exhibited a seven-fold increase in hyperthyroid animals...
- Uechi Y, Bayarjargal M, Umikawa M, Oshiro M, Takei K, Yamashiro Y, et al. Rap2 function requires palmitoylation and recycling endosome localization. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;378:732-7 pubmed publisher..These observations implicate the involvement of palmitoylation and recycling endosome localization in cellular functions of Rap2 proteins. ..
- van Kerkhof P, Westgeest M, Hassink G, Strous G. SCF(TrCP) acts in endosomal sorting of the GH receptor. Exp Cell Res. 2011;317:1071-82 pubmed publisher..We show for the first time that SCF(TrCP) is involved in cargo-specific sorting at endosomes and that Tsg101 rather than Hrs might direct the cargo into the ESCRT machinery. ..
- Zhang L, Hu R, Li M, Li F, Meng H, Zhu G, et al. Deferoxamine attenuates iron-induced long-term neurotoxicity in rats with traumatic brain injury. Neurol Sci. 2013;34:639-45 pubmed publisher..There were also deficits in spatial learning and memory; however, DFO administration attenuated these effects in TBI rats supporting the notion that DFO may reduce brain injury accentuated by iron overload...
- Guardia Clausi M, Paez P, Campagnoni A, Pasquini L, Pasquini J. Intranasal administration of aTf protects and repairs the neonatal white matter after a cerebral hypoxic-ischemic event. Glia. 2012;60:1540-54 pubmed publisher..In summary, these data suggest that iN administration of aTf has the potential to be used for clinical treatment to protect myelin and to induce remyelination in demyelinating hypoxic-ischemic events in the neonatal brain. ..
- Lane D, Merlot A, Huang M, Bae D, Jansson P, Sahni S, et al. Cellular iron uptake, trafficking and metabolism: Key molecules and mechanisms and their roles in disease. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1853:1130-44 pubmed publisher..g., Friedreich's ataxia. Increased knowledge of the molecules and their mechanisms of action in iron processing pathways (e.g., ISC biogenesis) will shape the investigation of iron metabolism in human health and disease. ..
- Kim S, Hwang H, Cho E, Oh J, Baek Y, Choi J, et al. Time-dependent plasma protein changes in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats before and after fungal polysaccharide treatments. J Proteome Res. 2006;5:2966-76 pubmed
- Durrbach A, Raposo G, Tenza D, Louvard D, Coudrier E. Truncated brush border myosin I affects membrane traffic in polarized epithelial cells. Traffic. 2000;1:411-24 pubmed..Altogether, these observations suggest that an acto-myosin-driven mechanism is involved in the trafficking of basolaterally internalized molecules to the apical plasma membrane. ..
- Simonsen A, Birkeland H, Gillooly D, Mizushima N, Kuma A, Yoshimori T, et al. Alfy, a novel FYVE-domain-containing protein associated with protein granules and autophagic membranes. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:4239-51 pubmed..By electron microscopy, similar structures can be found within autophagosomes. We propose that Alfy might target cytosolic protein aggregates for autophagic degradation. ..
- Gelly J, Richoux J, Grignon G. Immunolocalization of some plasmatic proteins in basement membranes during earliest rat morphogenesis with special reference to the gonadal differentiation. Histochemistry. 1991;96:323-6 pubmed..During embryogenesis, some plasma proteins are probably trapped in the epithelial BMs and not produced by local cells. ..
- Cavanaugh P, Nicolson G. Lung-derived growth factor that stimulates the growth of lung-metastasizing tumor cells: identification as transferrin. J Cell Biochem. 1991;47:261-71 pubmed..The physical and biochemical properties, antigenicity, and mitogenic activity of a previously unidentified lung-derived growth factor for lung-metastasizing tumor cells indicate that it is transferrin. ..
- Aldred A, Howlett G, Schreiber G. Synthesis of rat transferrin in Escherichia coli containing a recombinant bacteriophage. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1984;122:960-5 pubmed..A 1540 base pair insert in another clone corresponded to the N-terminal plus 50% of the carboxy terminal domain of transferrin. The product of this clone possessed only antigenic properties of transferrin. ..
- Escriva H, Pierce A, Coddeville B, Gonzalez F, Benaissa M, Leger D, et al. Rat mammary-gland transferrin: nucleotide sequence, phylogenetic analysis and glycan structure. Biochem J. 1995;307 ( Pt 1):47-55 pubmedThe complete cDNA for rat mammary-gland transferrin (Tf) has been sequenced and also the native protein isolated from milk in order to analyse the structure of the main glycan variants present...
- Vari I, Balkau B, Kettaneh A, Andre P, Tichet J, Fumeron F, et al. Ferritin and transferrin are associated with metabolic syndrome abnormalities and their change over time in a general population: Data from an Epidemiological Study on the Insulin Resistance Syndrome (DESIR). Diabetes Care. 2007;30:1795-801 pubmed..When both markers of the iron metabolism are elevated, the incidence of the metabolic syndrome is increased in men and both pre- and postmenopausal women. ..
- Brunner H, Bennett M, Mina R, Suzuki M, Petri M, Kiani A, et al. Association of noninvasively measured renal protein biomarkers with histologic features of lupus nephritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2012;64:2687-97 pubmed publisher..the urinary biomarkers lipocalin-like prostaglandin D synthase (L-PGDS), ?(1) -acid glycoprotein (AAG), transferrin (TF), ceruloplasmin (CP), neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL), and monocyte chemotactic protein 1 (MCP-1)...
- Amri H, Li W, Drieu K, Papadopoulos V. Identification of the adrenocorticotropin and ginkgolide B-regulated 90-kilodalton protein (p90) in adrenocortical cells as a serotransferrin precursor protein homolog (adrenotransferrin). Endocrinology. 2004;145:1802-9 pubmed..spectrometry analysis of the p90 spots isolated from the gels revealed sequences sharing identity with the serotransferrin precursor protein...
- Richardson D, Morgan E. The transferrin homologue, melanotransferrin (p97), is rapidly catabolized by the liver of the rat and does not effectively donate iron to the brain. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2004;1690:124-33 pubmedMelanotransferrin (MTf) or melanoma tumor antigen p97 is a membrane-bound transferrin (Tf) homologue that binds iron (Fe)...
- Salis C, Setton C, Soto E, Pasquini J. The mRNA of transferrin is expressed in Schwann cells during their maturation and after nerve injury. Exp Neurol. 2007;207:85-94 pubmed..In the adult animals on the other hand, Schwann cells could pick up transferrin from the circulation or/and from the axons, sub serving possible trophic actions closely related to myelin maintenance. ..
- Kolachala V, Sesikeran B, Nair K. Evidence for a sequential transfer of iron amongst ferritin, transferrin and transferrin receptor during duodenal absorption of iron in rat and human. World J Gastroenterol. 2007;13:1042-52 pubmed..It is concluded that the intestine takes up iron through a sequential transfer involving interaction of luminal transferrin, transferrin-transferrin receptor and ferritin. ..
- Aschenbrenner L, Lee T, Hasson T. Myo6 facilitates the translocation of endocytic vesicles from cell peripheries. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:2728-43 pubmed
- Fumeron F, Pean F, Driss F, Balkau B, Tichet J, Marre M, et al. Ferritin and transferrin are both predictive of the onset of hyperglycemia in men and women over 3 years: the data from an epidemiological study on the Insulin Resistance Syndrome (DESIR) study. Diabetes Care. 2006;29:2090-4 pubmed..These results further support the hypothesis of a causative role of iron metabolism in the onset of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. ..
- Canonne Hergaux F, Zhang A, Ponka P, Gros P. Characterization of the iron transporter DMT1 (NRAMP2/DCT1) in red blood cells of normal and anemic mk/mk mice. Blood. 2001;98:3823-30 pubmed..Together, these results provide further evidence that DMT1 plays a central role in iron acquisition via the transferrin cycle in erythroid cells. ..
- Mortensen M, Ferguson D, Edelmann M, Kessler B, Morten K, Komatsu M, et al. Loss of autophagy in erythroid cells leads to defective removal of mitochondria and severe anemia in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:832-7 pubmed publisher..In summary, we show that the selective removal of mitochondria by autophagy, but not other organelles, during erythropoeisis is essential and that this is a necessary developmental step in erythroid cells...
- Chen C, Garcia Santos D, Ishikawa Y, Seguin A, Li L, Fegan K, et al. Snx3 regulates recycling of the transferrin receptor and iron assimilation. Cell Metab. 2013;17:343-52 pubmed publisher..Silencing of Snx3 results in anemia and hemoglobin defects in vertebrates due to impaired transferrin (Tf)-mediated iron uptake and its accumulation in early endosomes...
- Sirard C, de la Pompa J, Elia A, Itie A, Mirtsos C, Cheung A, et al. The tumor suppressor gene Smad4/Dpc4 is required for gastrulation and later for anterior development of the mouse embryo. Genes Dev. 1998;12:107-19 pubmed..Rescued embryos show severe anterior truncations, indicating a second important role for Smad4 in anterior patterning during embryogenesis. ..
- Shao J, Xi G, Hua Y, Schallert T, Felt B. Alterations in intracerebral hemorrhage-induced brain injury in the iron deficient rat. Acta Neurochir Suppl. 2006;96:183-7 pubmed..05). IDA rats had greater left vibrissae-stimulated forelimb-placing deficits and forelimb-use asymmetry than non-IDA after ICH (p < 0.05). Brain iron status may be an important determinant of injury severity and recovery after ICH. ..
- da Silva C, Wolkmer P, Paim F, Da Silva A, Siqueira L, de Souza C, et al. Iron metabolism and its relationship to anemia and immune system in Trypanosoma evansi infected rats. Exp Parasitol. 2013;133:357-64 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that changes in iron metabolism may be related to the host immune response to infection and anemic status of infected animals. ..
- Huggenvik J, Idzerda R, Haywood L, Lee D, McKnight G, Griswold M. Transferrin messenger ribonucleic acid: molecular cloning and hormonal regulation in rat Sertoli cells. Endocrinology. 1987;120:332-40 pubmed..These results demonstrate the important role that vitamin A, testosterone, and peptide hormones play in modulating transferrin gene expression in Sertoli cells. ..
- Waheed A, Parkkila S, Saarnio J, Fleming R, Zhou X, Tomatsu S, et al. Association of HFE protein with transferrin receptor in crypt enterocytes of human duodenum. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:1579-84 pubmed..Impairment of this function caused by HFE gene mutations in HH could provide a paradoxical signal in crypt enterocytes that programs the differentiating enterocytes to absorb more dietary iron when they mature into villus enterocytes. ..
- Abe S, Hasegawa S, Nirasawa M, Sasaki M, Ohkubo Y. Transferrin is not involved in the entry of 67Ga into hepatocytes from regenerating liver of partially hepatectomized rats. Biol Pharm Bull. 2001;24:1343-6 pubmed..Only a slight amount of gallium-67 enters the hepatocytes, and may accumulate primarily in the extracellular matrix of the liver tissue of these rats. ..
- Mazurek B, Rheinländer C, Fuchs F, Amarjargal N, Kuban R, Ungethum U, et al. [Influence of ischemia/hypoxia on the HIF-1 activity and expression of hypoxia-dependent genes in the cochlea of the newborn rat]. HNO. 2006;54:689-97 pubmed..dehydrogenase, Slc2a1/solute carrier family 2 (facilitated glucose transporter), member 1, Tf/transferrin and Tfrc/transferrin receptor, in all three regions...
- Gruper Y, Bar J, Bacharach E, Ehrlich R. Transferrin receptor co-localizes and interacts with the hemochromatosis factor (HFE) and the divalent metal transporter-1 (DMT1) in trophoblast cells. J Cell Physiol. 2005;204:901-12 pubmed..Based on previous and these data we suggest that the level of intracellular iron may regulate both TfR expression (on the post-transcriptional and the post-translational levels) and TfR trafficking/transcytosis in polarized cells. ..
- Nakamura T, Xi G, Park J, Hua Y, Hoff J, Keep R. Holo-transferrin and thrombin can interact to cause brain damage. Stroke. 2005;36:348-52 pubmed..This study, therefore, examined whether another iron-containing component of blood, holo-transferrin (holo-Tf), might also induce brain injury either alone or in combination with thrombin, another factor involved in early ICH-..