Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Sycp3
Description: synaptonemal complex protein 3
Alias: RNASCP3, synaptonemal complex protein 3, SCP-3, synaptonemal complex protein 3-like
- Yang F, De La Fuente R, Leu N, Baumann C, McLaughlin K, Wang P. Mouse SYCP2 is required for synaptonemal complex assembly and chromosomal synapsis during male meiosis. J Cell Biol. 2006;173:497-507 pubmed..SC protein 2 (SYCP2) and SYCP3 are integral components of AEs/LEs in mammals...
- Lammers J, Offenberg H, van Aalderen M, Vink A, Dietrich A, Heyting C. The gene encoding a major component of the lateral elements of synaptonemal complexes of the rat is related to X-linked lymphocyte-regulated genes. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:1137-46 pubmed..The protein predicted from the nucleotide sequence of the cDNA, called SCP3 (for synaptonemal complex protein 3), has a molecular mass of 29.7 kDa and a pI value of 9.4...
- Paul C, Povey J, Lawrence N, Selfridge J, Melton D, Saunders P. Deletion of genes implicated in protecting the integrity of male germ cells has differential effects on the incidence of DNA breaks and germ cell loss. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e989 pubmed..These findings increase our understanding of the ways in which gene mutations can have an impact on male fertility. ..
- Baier A, Alsheimer M, Volff J, Benavente R. Synaptonemal complex protein SYCP3 of the rat: evolutionarily conserved domains and the assembly of higher order structures. Sex Dev. 2007;1:161-8 pubmed publisherb>SYCP3 is a major structural protein component of vertebrate synaptonemal complexes as well as an important determinant of male fertility, at least in mammals...
- Alsheimer M, Baier A, Schramm S, Schutz W, Benavente R. Synaptonemal complex protein SYCP3 exists in two isoforms showing different conservation in mammalian evolution. Cytogenet Genome Res. 2010;128:162-8 pubmed publisherMeiosis-specific protein SYCP3 is a major structural component of synaptonemal complex (SC) lateral elements. SYCP3 is rather well conserved in vertebrates. However, some differences in SYCP3 expression have been shown among mammals...
- Miyamoto T, Hasuike S, Yogev L, Maduro M, Ishikawa M, Westphal H, et al. Azoospermia in patients heterozygous for a mutation in SYCP3. Lancet. 2003;362:1714-9 pubmed..b>Sycp3 encodes a component of the synaptonemal complex...
- Parra M, Gómez R, Viera A, Llano E, Pendas A, Rufas J, et al. Sequential assembly of centromeric proteins in male mouse meiosis. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000417 pubmed publisher..We also demonstrate that Shugoshin 2 is necessary for the loading of MCAK at the inner centromere, but is dispensable for the loading of the outer kinetochore proteins BubR1 and CENP-E. ..
- Modzelewski A, Holmes R, Hilz S, Grimson A, Cohen P. AGO4 regulates entry into meiosis and influences silencing of sex chromosomes in the male mouse germline. Dev Cell. 2012;23:251-64 pubmed publisher..This is associated with a dramatic loss of microRNAs, >20% of which arises from the X chromosome. Thus, AGO4 regulates meiotic entry and MSCI in mammalian germ cells, implicating small RNA pathways in these processes...
- Beyret E, Lin H. Pinpointing the expression of piRNAs and function of the PIWI protein subfamily during spermatogenesis in the mouse. Dev Biol. 2011;355:215-26 pubmed publisher..These results pinpoint a function of the PIWI protein subfamily to meiosis during spermatogenesis. ..
- Guiraldelli M, Eyster C, Wilkerson J, Dresser M, Pezza R. Mouse HFM1/Mer3 is required for crossover formation and complete synapsis of homologous chromosomes during meiosis. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003383 pubmed publisher..We propose that initial steps of recombination are sufficient to support homology recognition, pairing, and initial chromosome synapsis and that HFM1 is required to form normal numbers of COs and to complete synapsis. ..
- La Salle S, Palmer K, O Brien M, Schimenti J, Eppig J, Handel M. Spata22, a novel vertebrate-specific gene, is required for meiotic progress in mouse germ cells. Biol Reprod. 2012;86:45 pubmed publisher..The repro42 mutation thus identifies a novel mammalian germ cell-specific gene required for meiotic progression. ..
- Wesoly J, Agarwal S, Sigurdsson S, Bussen W, Van Komen S, Qin J, et al. Differential contributions of mammalian Rad54 paralogs to recombination, DNA damage repair, and meiosis. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:976-89 pubmed..Thus, even though the paralogs have similar biochemical properties, genetic analysis in mice uncovered their nonoverlapping roles. ..
- Kim J, Ishiguro K, Nambu A, Akiyoshi B, Yokobayashi S, Kagami A, et al. Meikin is a conserved regulator of meiosis-I-specific kinetochore function. Nature. 2015;517:466-71 pubmed publisher..Our integrative analysis indicates that the long-awaited key regulator of meiotic kinetochore function is Meikin, which is conserved from yeasts to humans. ..
- Kwan K, Moens P, Wang J. Infertility and aneuploidy in mice lacking a type IA DNA topoisomerase III beta. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:2526-31 pubmed..This interpretation is most likely applicable to mitotic cells as well and can explain the universal presence of at least one type IA DNA topoisomerase in all organisms. ..
- Soh Y, Mikedis M, Kojima M, Godfrey A, de Rooij D, Page D. Meioc maintains an extended meiotic prophase I in mice. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006704 pubmed publisher..Specifically, MEIOC, together with YTHDC2, promotes a meiotic (as opposed to mitotic) cell cycle program via post-transcriptional control of their target transcripts. ..
- Shi Y, Zhuang X, Xu B, Hua J, Liao S, Shi Q, et al. SYCP3-like X-linked 2 is expressed in meiotic germ cells and interacts with synaptonemal complex central element protein 2 and histone acetyltransferase TIP60. Gene. 2013;527:352-9 pubmed publisher..In the present study, we showed that SYCP3-like X-linked 2 (SLX2, 1700013H16Rik), a novel member of XLR (X-linked Lymphocyte-Regulated) family, was ..
- Ishiguro K, Kim J, Shibuya H, Hern ndez Hern ndez A, Suzuki A, Fukagawa T, et al. Meiosis-specific cohesin mediates homolog recognition in mouse spermatocytes. Genes Dev. 2014;28:594-607 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest the intriguing possibility that homolog recognition is achieved primarily by searching for homology in the chromosome architecture as defined by meiosis-specific cohesin rather than in the DNA sequence itself...
- Berkowitz K, Sowash A, Koenig L, Urcuyo D, Khan F, Yang F, et al. Disruption of CHTF18 causes defective meiotic recombination in male mice. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002996 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate essential roles for CHTF18 in mammalian spermatogenesis and meiosis, and suggest that CHTF18 may function during the double-strand break repair pathway to promote the formation of crossovers. ..
- Tang M, Jacobs S, Mattiske D, Soh Y, Graham A, Tran A, et al. Contribution of the two genes encoding histone variant h3.3 to viability and fertility in mice. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1004964 pubmed publisher..3 deficiency. They also reveal partial redundancy in function of H3f3a and H3f3b, with the latter gene being generally the most important. ..
- Luangpraseuth Prosper A, Lesueur E, Jouneau L, Pailhoux E, Cotinot C, Mandon PÃ©pin B. TOPAZ1, a germ cell specific factor, is essential for male meiotic progression. Dev Biol. 2015;406:158-71 pubmed publisher..Our results also showed that 10% of these transcripts are long non-coding RNA. This suggests that a highly regulated balance of lncRNAs seems to be essential during spermatogenesis for induction of appropriate male gamete production. ..
- Ollinger R, Childs A, Burgess H, Speed R, Lundegaard P, Reynolds N, et al. Deletion of the pluripotency-associated Tex19.1 gene causes activation of endogenous retroviruses and defective spermatogenesis in mice. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000199 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Tex19.1 is part of a specialised mechanism that operates in the germline to repress transposable genetic elements and maintain genomic stability through successive generations. ..
- Kuramochi Miyagawa S, Kimura T, Ijiri T, Isobe T, Asada N, Fujita Y, et al. Mili, a mammalian member of piwi family gene, is essential for spermatogenesis. Development. 2004;131:839-49 pubmed..These data indicate that MILI is essential for the differentiation of spermatocytes. ..
- Tay J, Hodgman R, Sarkissian M, Richter J. Regulated CPEB phosphorylation during meiotic progression suggests a mechanism for temporal control of maternal mRNA translation. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1457-62 pubmed..The temporal control of CPEB phosphorylation suggests a mechanism in which CPE-containing mRNA translation is stimulated at pachytene and metaphase I. ..
- Di Carlo A, Travia G, De Felici M. The meiotic specific synaptonemal complex protein SCP3 is expressed by female and male primordial germ cells of the mouse embryo. Int J Dev Biol. 2000;44:241-4 pubmed..This strongly supports the hypothesis that primordial germ cells are programmed to enter meiosis unrespective of the sex and that foetal testis produces a factor that inhibits such programme. ..
- Krentz A, Murphy M, Sarver A, Griswold M, Bardwell V, Zarkower D. DMRT1 promotes oogenesis by transcriptional activation of Stra8 in the mammalian fetal ovary. Dev Biol. 2011;356:63-70 pubmed publisher..Dmrt1 mutant germ cells in the fetal ovary have greatly reduced expression of STRA8, and fail to properly localize SYCP3 and ?H2AX during meiotic prophase...
- Kudo N, Anger M, Peters A, Stemmann O, Theussl H, Helmhart W, et al. Role of cleavage by separase of the Rec8 kleisin subunit of cohesin during mammalian meiosis I. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:2686-98 pubmed publisher..Our data is consistent with the notion that Rec8 cleavage is important and probably crucial for the resolution of chiasmata in males and females. ..
- Hosokawa M, Shoji M, Kitamura K, Tanaka T, Noce T, Chuma S, et al. Tudor-related proteins TDRD1/MTR-1, TDRD6 and TDRD7/TRAP: domain composition, intracellular localization, and function in male germ cells in mice. Dev Biol. 2007;301:38-52 pubmed
- Hamer G, Gell K, Kouznetsova A, Novak I, Benavente R, Hoog C. Characterization of a novel meiosis-specific protein within the central element of the synaptonemal complex. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:4025-32 pubmed..SYCE1 interacts more directly with SYCP1 and could thus anchor the central element proteins to the transverse filaments. ..
- Baarends W, Wassenaar E, van der Laan R, Hoogerbrugge J, Sleddens Linkels E, Hoeijmakers J, et al. Silencing of unpaired chromatin and histone H2A ubiquitination in mammalian meiosis. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:1041-53 pubmed..This silencing in mammalian meiotic prophase cells concerns unpaired chromatin regions and resembles a phenomenon described for the fungus Neurospora crassa and named meiotic silencing by unpaired DNA. ..
- Sun X, BrieÃ±o EnrÃquez M, Cornelius A, Modzelewski A, Maley T, Campbell Peterson K, et al. FancJ (Brip1) loss-of-function allele results in spermatogonial cell depletion during embryogenesis and altered processing of crossover sites during meiotic prophase I in mice. Chromosoma. 2016;125:237-52 pubmed publisher
- Finsterbusch F, Ravindranathan R, Dereli I, Stanzione M, Tränkner D, Toth A. Alignment of Homologous Chromosomes and Effective Repair of Programmed DNA Double-Strand Breaks during Mouse Meiosis Require the Minichromosome Maintenance Domain Containing 2 (MCMDC2) Protein. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1006393 pubmed publisher
- Chen J, Silver D, Walpita D, Cantor S, Gazdar A, Tomlinson G, et al. Stable interaction between the products of the BRCA1 and BRCA2 tumor suppressor genes in mitotic and meiotic cells. Mol Cell. 1998;2:317-28 pubmed..Dysfunction of this pathway may be a general phenomenon in the majority of cases of hereditary breast and/or ovarian cancer. ..
- Jørgensen A, Nielsen J, Blomberg Jensen M, Græm N, Rajpert De Meyts E. Analysis of meiosis regulators in human gonads: a sexually dimorphic spatio-temporal expression pattern suggests involvement of DMRT1 in meiotic entry. Mol Hum Reprod. 2012;18:523-34 pubmed publisher..The biological importance of the changes in expression of DMRT1 in Sertoli cells remains to be established, but it is consistent with DMRT1 reinforcing the inhibition of meiosis in the testis...
- Ryu K, Sinnar S, Reinholdt L, Vaccari S, Hall S, Garcia M, et al. The mouse polyubiquitin gene Ubb is essential for meiotic progression. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:1136-46 pubmed
- Barau J, Teissandier A, Zamudio N, Roy S, Nalesso V, Herault Y, et al. The DNA methyltransferase DNMT3C protects male germ cells from transposon activity. Science. 2016;354:909-912 pubmed..DNMT3C reveals the plasticity of the mammalian DNA methylation system and expands the scope of the mechanisms involved in the epigenetic control of retrotransposons. ..