Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Smad5
Description: SMAD family member 5
Alias: Madh5, mothers against decapentaplegic homolog 5, MAD homolog 5, SMAD 5, SMAD, mothers against DPP homolog 5, mothers against DPP homolog 5
- Sowa H, Kaji H, Hendy G, Canaff L, Komori T, Sugimoto T, et al. Menin is required for bone morphogenetic protein 2- and transforming growth factor beta-regulated osteoblastic differentiation through interaction with Smads and Runx2. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:40267-75 pubmed..In osteoblasts the interaction of menin and the transforming growth factor-beta/Smad3 pathway negatively regulates the BMP-2/Smad1/5- and Runx2-induced transcriptional activities leading to inhibition of late-stage differentiation. ..
- Rath B, Nam J, Deschner J, Schaumburger J, Tingart M, Grassel S, et al. Biomechanical forces exert anabolic effects on osteoblasts by activation of SMAD 1/5/8 through type 1 BMP receptor. Biorheology. 2011;48:37-48 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the present findings demonstrate that biomechanical stimulation of osteoblasts activates SMAD 1/5/8 in the BMP signaling pathway through BMPR1 and may enhance osteogenesis by upregulating SMAD-dependent osteogenic genes. ..
- Meynard D, Kautz L, Darnaud V, Canonne Hergaux F, Coppin H, Roth M. Lack of the bone morphogenetic protein BMP6 induces massive iron overload. Nat Genet. 2009;41:478-81 pubmed publisher..Despite their severe iron overload, the livers of Bmp6-deficient mice have low levels of phosphorylated Smad1, Smad5 and Smad8, and these Smads are not significantly translocated to the nucleus...
- Cho Y, Yoon W, Woo K, Baek J, Park J, Ryoo H. The canonical BMP signaling pathway plays a crucial part in stimulation of dentin sialophosphoprotein expression by BMP-2. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:36369-76 pubmed publisher..Thus, the canonical BMP-2 signaling pathway plays a crucial part in the regulation of Dspp expression through the action of Smads, Dlx5, Runx2, and Msx2...
- Rosendahl A, Pardali E, Speletas M, Ten Dijke P, Heldin C, Sideras P. Activation of bone morphogenetic protein/Smad signaling in bronchial epithelial cells during airway inflammation. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2002;27:160-9 pubmed
- Yang J, Li X, Al Lamki R, Southwood M, Zhao J, Lever A, et al. Smad-dependent and smad-independent induction of id1 by prostacyclin analogues inhibits proliferation of pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells in vitro and in vivo. Circ Res. 2010;107:252-62 pubmed publisher..Prostacyclin analogues enhance Id1 expression in vitro and in vivo and restore deficient BMP signaling in BMPR-II mutant PASMCs. ..
- Morty R, Nejman B, Kwapiszewska G, Hecker M, Zakrzewicz A, Kouri F, et al. Dysregulated bone morphogenetic protein signaling in monocrotaline-induced pulmonary arterial hypertension. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2007;27:1072-8 pubmed..BMP signaling and BMP-regulated physiological phenomena are perturbed in MCT-treated rats, lending solid support to the proposed roles for BMP signaling in the pathogenesis of human PAH. ..
- Umans L, Cox L, Tjwa M, Bito V, Vermeire L, Laperre K, et al. Inactivation of Smad5 in endothelial cells and smooth muscle cells demonstrates that Smad5 is required for cardiac homeostasis. Am J Pathol. 2007;170:1460-72 pubmed..b>Smad5 and Smad1 are highly homologous, and they mediate primarily bone morphogenetic protein (Bmp) signals...
- Zhan Y, Fujino A, MacLaughlin D, Manganaro T, Szotek P, Arango N, et al. Müllerian inhibiting substance regulates its receptor/SMAD signaling and causes mesenchymal transition of the coelomic epithelial cells early in Müllerian duct regression. Development. 2006;133:2359-69 pubmed..MIS induces expression of Alk2, Alk3 and Smad8, but downregulates Smad5 in the urogenital ridge...
- Lenox L, Perry J, Paulson R. BMP4 and Madh5 regulate the erythroid response to acute anemia. Blood. 2005;105:2741-8 pubmed..Here, we show that f/f mutant mice have a mutation in Madh5. Our analysis shows that BMP4/Madh5-dependent signaling, regulated by hypoxia, initiates the differentiation and ..
- Vrljicak P, Myburgh D, Ryan A, Van Rooijen M, Mummery C, Gupta I. Smad expression during kidney development. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2004;286:F625-33 pubmed..Based on the observed patterns of expression, we speculate that individual or combinations of Smads may play specific roles in cell-fate determination during kidney development. ..
- Hou F, Liu R, Liu X, Cui L, Wen Y, Yan S, et al. Attenuation of liver fibrosis by herbal compound 861 via upregulation of BMP-7/Smad signaling in the bile duct ligation model rat. Mol Med Rep. 2016;13:4335-42 pubmed publisher..In comparison with the saline?treated BDL rats, Cpd 861 markedly upregulated the gene expression of BMP?7 and Smad5, as well as the protein expression of BMP?7 and Smad1/5...
- Wang H, Jiang Y, Lu M, Sun B, Qiao X, Xue D, et al. STX12 lncRNA/miR-148a/SMAD5 participate in the regulation of pancreatic stellate cell activation through a mechanism involving competing endogenous RNA. Pancreatology. 2017;17:237-246 pubmed publisher..The expression of the interleukin 6 signal transducer (IL6ST), SMAD family member 5 (SMAD5) and alpha smooth muscle actin (?-SMA) proteins were examined by western blot...
- Nahar Gohad P, Gohad N, Tsai C, Bordia R, Vyavahare N. Rat aortic smooth muscle cells cultured on hydroxyapatite differentiate into osteoblast-like cells via BMP-2-SMAD-5 pathway. Calcif Tissue Int. 2015;96:359-69 pubmed publisher..Blocking CaSR by NPS-2143 reduced BMP-2 secretion and blocking the BMP-2 pathway by LDN-193189, a BMP inhibitor, modulated expression of osteogenic markers confirming their role in osteogenesis of Vsmcs. ..
- Chen W, Xia J, Hu P, Zhou F, Chen Y, Wu J, et al. Follistatin-like 1 protects cardiomyoblasts from injury induced by sodium nitroprusside through modulating Akt and Smad1/5/9 signaling. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016;469:418-23 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicated that FSTL1 protects the SNP-induced injury in cardiac H9c2 cells through, at least in part, the activation of Akt and inhibition of Smad1/5/9 signaling. ..
- Zavadil J, Brezinova J, Svoboda P, Zemanova Z, Michalova K. Smad5, a tumor suppressor candidate at 5q31.1, is hemizygously lost and not mutated in the retained allele in human leukemia cell line HL60. Leukemia. 1997;11:1187-92 pubmed..1 critical locus and localized the transcriptional transactivator Smad5 adjacent to loci showing consistent loss of heterozygosity in these disorders...
- Zhao M, Ko S, Liu J, Chen D, Zhang J, Wang B, et al. Inhibition of microtubule assembly in osteoblasts stimulates bone morphogenetic protein 2 expression and bone formation through transcription factor Gli2. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:1291-305 pubmed publisher..In summary, inhibition of microtubule assembly enhances BMP-2 gene transcription and subsequent bone formation, in part, through inhibiting proteasomal processing of Gli2 and increasing intracellular Gli2 concentrations. ..
- Liu C, Chang E, Yu J, Carlson C, Prazak L, Yu X, et al. The interferon-inducible p204 protein acts as a transcriptional coactivator of Cbfa1 and enhances osteoblast differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:2788-96 pubmed..p204, which is the first interferon-inducible protein found to associate with Cbfa1, functions as a novel regulator of osteoblast differentiation. ..
- Yu Y, Yang J, Chapman Sheath P, Walsh W. TGF-beta, BMPS, and their signal transducing mediators, Smads, in rat fracture healing. J Biomed Mater Res. 2002;60:392-7 pubmed..At day 10, Smad6 increased dramatically, Smad2, Smad3, and Smad4 remained elevated while Smad1 and Smad5 decreased in the fracture callus. Smad7 was expressed only in vascular endothelial cells...
- Chang H, Matzuk M. Smad5 is required for mouse primordial germ cell development. Mech Dev. 2001;104:61-7 pubmedb>Smad5, together with Smad1 and Smad8, have been implicated as downstream signal mediators for several bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs)...
- Ebisawa T, Fukuchi M, Murakami G, Chiba T, Tanaka K, Imamura T, et al. Smurf1 interacts with transforming growth factor-beta type I receptor through Smad7 and induces receptor degradation. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:12477-80 pubmed..These results thus reveal a novel function of Smad7, i.e. induction of degradation of TbetaR-I through recruitment of an E3 ligase to the receptor. ..