Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Slc6a4
Description: solute carrier family 6 (neurotransmitter transporter, serotonin), member 4
Alias: 5HT transporter, 5HTT, Solute carrier family 6 (neurotransmitter transporter serotonin) member 4 (5-hydroxytryptamine (serotonin) transporter), serotonin transporter, sodium-dependent serotonin transporter, solute carrier family 6 (neurotransmitter transporter serotonin) member 4 (5-hydroxytryptamine (serotonin) transporter), solute carrier family 6, member 4
- Regulating the conducting states of a mammalian serotonin transporterMichael W Quick
Department of Biological Sciences, 3641 Watt Way, HNB 228, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
Neuron 40:537-49. 2003..These data show that protein interactions govern SERT activity and suggest that both cell excitability and psychostimulant-mediated effects will be dependent upon the state of association among SERT and its interacting partners...
- Partitioning of the serotonin transporter into lipid microdomains modulates transport of serotoninFrancesca Magnani
Department of Biochemistry, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
J Biol Chem 279:38770-8. 2004The serotonin transporter (SERT) is an integral membrane protein responsible for the clearance of serotonin from the synaptic cleft following the release of the neurotransmitter...
- Phosphorylation of threonine residue 276 is required for acute regulation of serotonin transporter by cyclic GMPSammanda Ramamoorthy
Department of Neurosciences, Division of Neuroscience Research, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425
J Biol Chem 282:11639-47. 2007Cellular protein kinases, phosphatases, and other serotonin transporter (SERT) interacting proteins participate in several signaling mechanisms regulating SERT activity...
- Serotonin transporter missense mutation associated with a complex neuropsychiatric phenotypeN Ozaki
Department of Psychiatry, Fujita Health University School of Medicine, Toyoake, Aichi, Japan
Mol Psychiatry 8:933-6. 2003Two common serotonin transporter (SERT) untranslated region gene variants have been intensively studied, but remain inconclusively linked to depression and other neuropsychiatric disorders...
- The cytoplasmic substrate permeation pathway of serotonin transporterYuan Wei Zhang
Department of Pharmacology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8066, USA
J Biol Chem 281:36213-20. 2006b>Serotonin transporter (SERT) catalyzes reuptake of the neurotransmitter serotonin (5-HT) and is a target for antidepressant drugs and psychostimulants. It is a member of a large family of neurotransmitter and amino acid transporters...
- Subcellular redistribution of the serotonin transporter by secretory carrier membrane protein 2Heidi Kaastrup Müller
School of Biomolecular and Biomedical Science, UCD Conway Institute, University College Dublin, Dublin 4, Ireland, Trinity College Dublin 2, Ireland
J Biol Chem 281:28901-9. 2006The serotonin transporter (SERT) belongs to the SLC6 family of sodium- and chloride-dependent neurotransmitter transporters responsible for uptake of amino acids and biogenic amines from extracellular spaces...
- Regulation of the serotonin transporter by interacting proteinsJ Haase
Biochemistry Department, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
Biochem Soc Trans 29:722-8. 2001The serotonin transporter (SERT) plays a critical role in the maintenance of normal neurotransmission by serotonin [5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT)]...
- A role for p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in the regulation of the serotonin transporter: evidence for distinct cellular mechanisms involved in transporter surface expressionDevadoss J Samuvel
Department of Physiology and Neuroscience, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
J Neurosci 25:29-41. 2005The serotonin transporter (SERT) is regulated by various signaling mechanisms that may operate to maintain appropriate levels of synaptic serotonin (5-HT)...
- Serotonin transporter binding increases in caudate-putamen and nucleus accumbens after neonatal 6-hydroxydopamine lesions in rats: implications for motor hyperactivityKehong Zhang
Mailman Research Center, McLean Division of Massachusetts General Hospital, 115 Mill Street, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Brain Res Dev Brain Res 137:135-8. 2002..These findings suggest that excess 5-HT transporters reflect serotonin hyperinnervation reported to occur in lesioned rats, and may modulate motor hyperactivity...
- Lack of the serotonin transporter does not prevent mineralocorticoid hypertension in rat and mouseWei Ni
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824 1317, USA
Eur J Pharmacol 589:225-7. 2008We hypothesized that lack of a functional serotonin transporter (SERT) would increase basal blood pressure and enhance the development of deoxycorticosterone acetate (DOCA)-salt hypertension compared to wild type (WT) controls...
- Serotonin transporter deficiency in rats improves inhibitory control but not behavioural flexibilityJudith R Homberg
Hubrecht Institute, Uppsalalaan 8, 3584 CT Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur J Neurosci 26:2066-73. 2007..In the present study we addressed the effect of lifelong reduced or absent serotonin transporter (SERT) function, which is associated with constitutively increased extracellular 5-HT levels, on ..
- Continuous fluoxetine administration prevents recurrence of pulmonary arterial hypertension and prolongs survival in ratsShao Ping Zhu
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan, China
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 36:e1-5. 20091. The serotonin transporter (SERT) is strongly implicated in the pathogenesis of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) in patients and animal models...
- Acceleration of serotonin transporter transport-associated current by 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) under acidic conditionsYosuke Yamauchi
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Neurosci Lett 428:72-6. 2007..MDMA) selectively releases serotonin (5-HT) from neurons after uptake by the serotonin transporter (SERT) and causes psychostimulant effects accompanied by hyperthermia...
- Serotonin transporter deficiency increases abdominal fat in female, but not male ratsJudith R Homberg
Functional Genomics and Bioinformatics, Hubrecht Institute, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Obesity (Silver Spring) 18:137-45. 2010..The underlying mechanisms are poorly understood. We found that female, but not male, depression-prone serotonin transporter knockout (SERT(-/-)) rats had a strong increase (54%) in abdominal fat, whereas no increases in plasma ..
- Deletion of the serotonin transporter in rats disturbs serotonin homeostasis without impairing liver regenerationRamadhan B Matondo
Department of Pathobiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, Yalelaan 1, 3508 TD Utrecht, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 296:G963-8. 2009The serotonin transporter is implicated in the uptake of the vasoconstrictor serotonin from the circulation into the platelets, where 95% of all blood serotonin is stored and released in response to vascular injury...
- Development of 5-HT(1B), SERT and thalamo-cortical afferents in early nutrionally restricted rats: an emerging explanation for delayed barrel formationIvett Medina-Aguirre
Laboratorio de Patología Molecular, Unidad de Investigación Biomolecular en Cardiología, Hospital de Cardiologia, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Mexico 06725, DF, Mexico
Int J Dev Neurosci 26:225-31. 2008..We then evaluated the pattern of immunostaining of the serotonin transporter (SERT) and of the serotonin receptor 1B (5-HT(1B)), as well as the growth and arrival time of ..
- Association study of serotonin transporter gene polymorphisms with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome in Chinese Han populationWeihua Yue
Mental Health Institute, The Second Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, PR China
Sleep 31:1535-41. 2008Since the serotonin (5-HT) is associated with circadian rhythm and breathing regulation, the serotonin transporter (5-HTT), which plays an important role in serotoninergic transmission, might be a strong candidate gene in the ..
- Chronic effect of nicotine on serotonin transporter mRNA in the raphe nucleus of rats: reversal by co-administration of bupropionJun ichi Semba
Division of Health Sciences, The Open University of Japan, Chiba, Japan
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 62:435-41. 2008..during smoking cessation, an animal model of nicotine withdrawal was used, and the expression of serotonin transporter (5HTT), abnormality of which is implicated in the pathogenesis of depression, was investigated...
- A study in male and female 5-HT transporter knockout rats: an animal model for anxiety and depression disordersJ D A Olivier
Department of Cognitive Neuroscience Psychoneuropharmacology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Neuroscience 152:573-84. 2008..This knockout rat model may provide a valuable model to study anxiety- and depression-related disorders in male and female rats...
- Adaptations in pre- and postsynaptic 5-HT1A receptor function and cocaine supersensitivity in serotonin transporter knockout ratsJudith R Homberg
Hubrecht Institute, Uppsalalaan 8, 3584, CT, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 200:367-80. 2008..While individual differences in vulnerability to psychostimulants have been largely attributed to dopaminergic neurotransmission, the role of serotonin is not fully understood...
- Genetic polymorphisms of the serotonin transporter, but not the 2a receptor or nitric oxide synthetase, are associated with pulmonary hypertension in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseSilvia Ulrich
Clinics of Internal Medicine and Pulmonology, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Respiration 79:288-95. 2010..Pulmonary hypertension (PH) is prognosti- cally important in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Since PH only weakly correlates with hypoxemia, other factors must play a role...
- In vivo effects of a combined 5-HT1B receptor/SERT antagonist in experimental pulmonary hypertensionIan Morecroft
FBLS, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK
Cardiovasc Res 85:593-603. 2010..Here we determine, for the first time, the in vivo effects of a combined 5-HT1B receptor/serotonin transporter antagonist (LY393558) with respect to the development of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) and its in ..
- A conserved asparagine residue in transmembrane segment 1 (TM1) of serotonin transporter dictates chloride-coupled neurotransmitter transportL Keith Henry
Department of Pharmacology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 8548, USA
J Biol Chem 286:30823-36. 2011..and Cl(-)-dependent uptake of neurotransmitters via transporters of the SLC6 family, including the human serotonin transporter (SLC6A4), is critical for efficient synaptic transmission...
- Serotonin transporter genotype x construction stress interaction in ratsPieter Schipper
Department of Anatomy, Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition, and Behavior, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Behav Brain Res 223:169-75. 2011..x environment interactions in psychiatry is the one involving the low activity (s) allelic variant of the serotonin transporter (5-HTT) promoter polymorphism (5-HTTLPR) that in the context of stress increases risk for depression...
- Chronic buspirone treatment decreases 5-HT1B receptor densities and the serotonin transporter but increases the density of 5-HT2A receptors in the bulbectomized rat model of depression: an autoradiographic studyHiroki Sato
Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Brain Res 1345:28-44. 2010..The results indicate differential effects of chronic antidepressant treatment on the 5-HT system regulation in the OBX model of depression and normal rats...
- In vivo studies of the SERT-selective [18F]FPBM and VMAT2-selective [18F]AV-133 radiotracers in a rat model of Parkinson's diseaseJulie L Wang
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Nucl Med Biol 37:479-86. 2010..2-(2'-((dimethylamino)methyl)-4'-(3-[(18)F]-fluoropropoxy)phenylthio)benzenamine], a selective serotonin transporter (SERT) tracer, and [(18)F]AV-133 [(+)-2-Hydroxy-3-isobutyl-9-(3-fluoropropoxy)-10-methoxy-1,2,3,4,6,7-..
- Orbitofrontal cortex and amygdalar over-activity is associated with an inability to use the value of expected outcomes to guide behaviour in serotonin transporter knockout ratsLourens J P Nonkes
Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition, and Behaviour, Centre for Neuroscience, Dept of Cognitive Neuroscience, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Geert Grooteplein 21, 6525 GA Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Neurobiol Learn Mem 94:65-72. 2010..5-HT levels are tightly controlled by the serotonin transporter (5-HTT). We and others have observed that 5-HTT availability affects reversal learning...
- 5HTT genotype moderates the influence of early institutional deprivation on emotional problems in adolescence: evidence from the English and Romanian Adoptee (ERA) studyRobert Kumsta
MRC Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, UK
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 51:755-62. 2010A common polymorphism in the serotonin transporter gene (SLC6A4, 5HTT) has been repeatedly shown to moderate the influence of childhood adversity and stressful life events on the development of psychopathology...
- Postnatal changes in tryptophan hydroxylase and serotonin transporter immunoreactivity in multiple brainstem nuclei of the rat: implications for a sensitive periodQiuli Liu
Department of Cell Biology, Neurobiology and Anatomy, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
J Comp Neurol 518:1082-97. 2010..we conducted a large-scale investigation of the 5-HT-synthesizing enzyme tryptophan hydroxylase (TPH) and serotonin transporter (SERT) with semiquantitative immunohistochemistry in multiple brainstem nuclei of normal rats aged P2-21...
- Reduced function of the serotonin transporter is associated with decreased expression of BDNF in rodents as well as in humansRaffaella Molteni
Center of Neuropharmacology, Department of Pharmacological Sciences, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milan, Italy
Neurobiol Dis 37:747-55. 2010..identify the molecular mechanisms that may contribute to the enhanced susceptibility to depression under serotonin transporter (SERT) dysfunction, we analyzed the expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), a key player ..
- Effects of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) on serotonin transporter and vesicular monoamine transporter 2 protein and gene expression in rats: implications for MDMA neurotoxicityDominik K Biezonski
Neuroscience and Behavior Program, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts, USA
J Neurochem 112:951-62. 2010..Experiment 1 investigated MDMA-induced changes in levels of the serotonin transporter (SERT) and the vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT-2) in the hippocampus, a region with sparse ..
- Changes in NPY and POMC, but not serotonin transporter, following a restricted feeding/repletion protocol in ratsNuria Lauzurica
Unidad de Cartografía Cerebral, Instituto Pluridisciplinar, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Brain Res 1313:103-12. 2010..Food-restricted animals provide a tool for the further study of neurochemical alterations and for the development of new drugs to treat alterations that may occur in humans when dieting is abandoned...
- Association study of serotonin transporter gene polymorphisms and ventricular septal defects related possible pulmonary arterial hypertension in Chinese populationHailong Cao
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, China
Clin Exp Hypertens 31:605-14. 2009Polymorphisms of serotonin transporter (5-HTT) gene were hypothesized to be associated with ventricular septal defects (VSD) related ultrasonographic pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) susceptibility...
- [Association of 5-hydroxytryptamine transporter gene polymorphism with asthma and comorbid depression]Lan Wang
Department of Respiratory Medicine, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan, 610041, PR China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Yi Chuan Xue Za Zhi 26:575-9. 2009..To explore the molecular genetic mechanism of complicating depression in asthma by detecting two gene polymorphisms of 5-hydroxytryptamine transporter (5-HTTLPR/Stin2) gene...
- Adverse early life experience and social stress during adulthood interact to increase serotonin transporter mRNA expressionKatherine L Gardner
Henry Wellcome Laboratories for Integrative Neuroscience and Endocrinology, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Brain Res 1305:47-63. 2009..life experience, adverse experiences during adulthood, and potential interactions between these factors on serotonin transporter (slc6a4) mRNA expression, we investigated in rats the effects of maternal separation (180 min/day from ..
- Serotonin transporter deficiency in rats contributes to impaired object memoryJ D A Olivier
Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour, Department of Cognitive Neuroscience, Molecular Neurobiology and Psychoneuropharmacology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Genes Brain Behav 8:829-34. 2009Serotonin is well known for its role in affection, but less known for its role in cognition. The serotonin transporter (SERT) has an essential role in serotonergic neurotransmission as it determines the magnitude and duration of the ..
- The serotonin transporter and 5HT2A receptor in rat brain after localized lesionsHenrik Dam
Department of Psychiatry, H S Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Neurol Res 29:717-22. 2007..The purpose of the present study was to examine whether serotonin transporter density or 5HT2A serotonin receptor density is changed in specific brain areas following anterior or ..
- Characterization of the serotonin transporter knockout rat: a selective change in the functioning of the serotonergic systemJ R Homberg
Hubrecht Laboratory, Uppsalalaan 8, 3584 CT Utrecht, The Netherlands
Neuroscience 146:1662-76. 2007..Here, we describe the functional characterization of the serotonin transporter (SERT) knockout rat model, that is generated by N-ethyl-N-nitrosurea (ENU)-driven target-selected ..
- Raloxifene blocks estradiol induction of the serotonin transporter and 5-hydroxytryptamine2A receptor in female rat brainB E H Sumner
MRC Brain Metabolism Unit, University Department of Neuroscience, 1 George Square, Edinburgh EH8 9JZ, UK
Neurosci Lett 417:95-9. 2007..female rat induces expression of the genes for the 5-hydroxytryptamine(2A) receptor (5-HT(2A)R) and the serotonin transporter (SERT) in the dorsal raphe nucleus (DRN)...
- Three autism candidate genes: a synthesis of human genetic analysis with other disciplinesChristopher W Bartlett
Center for Statistical Genetics Research, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
Int J Dev Neurosci 23:221-34. 2005..From this body of work we highlight results from three candidate genes, REELIN (RELN), SEROTONIN TRANSPORTER (5HTT), and ENGRAILED 2 (EN2) and discuss the relevant neuroscience, molecular genetics, and statistical ..
- Role of C-terminal region in the functional regulation of rat serotonin transporter (SERT)Hideki Mochizuki
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, 1 2 3 Kasumi Minami ku, Hiroshima 734 8551, Japan
Neurochem Int 46:93-105. 2005Previously, we revealed that the state of the actin cytoskeleton affects the uptake activity of the serotonin transporter (SERT)...
- Cysteine-scanning mutagenesis of the fifth external loop of serotonin transporterPreston C Keller
Department of Pharmacology, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8066, USA
Biochemistry 43:8510-6. 2004External loop 5 (EL5) of serotonin transporter was analyzed by mutating each of the residues from Thr-480 to Ala-511, one at a time, with cysteine...
- The distribution of serotonin transporter immunoreactivity in hippocampal formation in monkeys and ratsToshimi Owashi
Department of Psychiatry, Showa University School of Medicine, 1 5 8, Hatanodai, Shinagawa, Tokyo 142 8666, Japan
Brain Res 1010:166-8. 2004To elucidate the anatomical distribution of the serotonergic neurotransmitter system, we identified serotonin transporter (5-HTT) in the hippocampus of rats and monkeys by immunohistochemistry...
- Serotonin (5-HT) transporter (SERT) function after graded destruction of serotonergic neuronsSylvia Montañez
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas 78229 3900, USA
J Neurochem 87:861-7. 2003The degree of occupancy of the serotonin transporter (SERT) by selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) appears to be critical in determining therapeutic response...
- Potentiation of 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) responses by a 5-HT uptake inhibitor in pulmonary and systemic vessels: effects of exposing rats to hypoxiaJanet C Wanstall
School of Biomedical Sciences, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, 4072 Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 368:520-7. 2003..The findings may have implications in relation to the suggested use of SERT inhibitors in the treatment of pulmonary hypertension...
- High-dose fenfluramine administration decreases serotonin transporter binding, but not serotonin transporter protein levels, in rat forebrainRichard B Rothman
Clinical Psychopharmacology Section, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
Synapse 50:233-9. 2003..of D-fenfluramine (D-FEN) or parachloroamphetamine (PCA) can produce long-lasting decreases in serotonin transporter (SERT) binding and tissue levels of serotonin (5-HT) in rat forebrain...
- Glycosyl modification facilitates homo- and hetero-oligomerization of the serotonin transporter. A specific role for sialic acid residuesDeniz Ozaslan
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, College of Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
J Biol Chem 278:43991-4000. 2003The serotonin transporter (SERT) is an oligomeric glycoprotein with two sialic acid residues on each of two complex oligosaccharide molecules...
- Isolation of cDNAs encoding a novel member of the neurotransmitter transporter gene familyW Mayser
Abteilung Neurochemie, Max Planck Institut für Hirnforschung, Frankfurt, Germany
FEBS Lett 295:203-6. 1991..PCR amplification revealed low-level expression of NTT transcripts in spinal cord, but not in brain and cerebellum...
- Alternative non-coding exons support serotonin transporter mRNA expression in the brain and gutN Ozsarac
Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Regulation, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Neurochem 82:336-44. 2002A number of studies in recent years have linked polymorphisms within the serotonin transporter (5HTT) gene to affective disorders and anxiety traits...
- Dexfenfluramine-associated changes in 5-hydroxytryptamine transporter expression and development of hypoxic pulmonary hypertension in ratsS Eddahibi
INSERM U492, Departement de Physiologie, Faculté de Médecine de Créteil, Hôpital H Mondor, 94010 Creteil, France
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 297:148-54. 2001..01) than in rats pretreated with the vehicle. These data show that, in rats, the increased 5-HTT expression that follows dexfenfluramine discontinuation promotes the development of hypoxic pulmonary hypertension...
- Oligomerization of serotonin transporter and its functional consequencesF Kilic
Department of Pharmacology, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, P O Box 208066, New Haven, CT 06520 8066, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:3106-11. 2000Two forms of serotonin transporter (SERT) were prepared with different epitope tags. When co-expressed in HeLa cells, the form containing a FLAG tag (Res-FLAG) was associated with the form containing a c-myc tag (Sens-myc)...
- Association of the serotonin transporter gene with serum cholesterol levels and heart diseaseD E Comings
Department of Medical Genetics, City of Hope National Medical Center, Duarte, California, 91910, USA
Mol Genet Metab 67:248-53. 1999..serum cholesterol levels and the HTTLPR insertion/deletion polymorphism of the promoter region of the serotonin transporter gene (HTT, SLC6A4)...
- Cysteine-scanning mutagenesis of serotonin transporter intracellular loop 2 suggests an alpha-helical conformationYuan Wei Zhang
Department of Pharmacology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8066, USA
J Biol Chem 280:30807-13. 2005Like other proteins involved in neurotransmitter transport, serotonin transporter (SERT) activity is regulated by multiple intracellular signal transduction pathways...
- Association between body weight of newborn rats and density of serotonin transporters in the frontal cortex at adulthoodS Himpel
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Göttingen and University Hospital, Erlangen, Germany
J Neural Transm 113:295-302. 2006..It is discussed that differences in birth weight may affect the postnatal development of 5-HT projections to the frontal cortex...
- Immunohistochemical study of the serotonergic neuronal system in an animal model of the mood disorderShuji Iritani
Department of Psychiatry, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya, Aichi 466 8550, Japan
Exp Neurol 201:60-5. 2006..examined vesicle monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2), serotonin receptor type 1a (5HT1a), and serotonin transporter (5HTT) in the hippocampal region of reserpine-treated rats, an animal model of depression...
- Neurochemical characterization of pathways expressing plasma membrane monoamine transporter in the rat brainV Vialou
INSERM, U513, Faculte de Medecine, Creteil, F 94010 France Université Paris XII, Creteil, France
Neuroscience 144:616-22. 2007..Taken together, our observations support a role for PMAT in monoamine uptake in cholinergic neurons...
- Depressive behaviors and decreased expression of serotonin reuptake transporter in rats that experienced neonatal maternal separationJong Ho Lee
Dental Research Institute, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Seoul National University School of Dentistry, Seoul 110 744, Republic of Korea
Neurosci Res 58:32-9. 2007..These results suggest that neonatal maternal separation may result in the development of depression- and/or anxiety-like behaviors in later life, in which the long-term alterations in 5-HTergic neurotransmission may take a role...
- Repeat length polymorphism of the serotonin transporter gene influences pulmonary artery pressure in heart failureThomas P Olson
Mayo Clinic, College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am Heart J 153:426-32. 2007..Polymorphisms of the serotonin transporter (5-HTT) gene have been implicated in contributing to smooth muscle dysfunction and remodeling of the ..
- Loss of serotonin transporter protein after MDMA and other ring-substituted amphetaminesTao Xie
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 31:2639-51. 2006We studied in vivo expression of the serotonin transporter (SERT) protein after 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA), p-chloroamphetamine (PCA), or fenfluramine (FEN) treatments, and compared the effects of substituted amphetamines ..
- Genetic association of the serotonin transporter in pulmonary arterial hypertensionRajiv D Machado
Division of Medical Genetics, Department of Genetics, University of Leicester, Leicester, UK
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:793-7. 2006....
- Is the platelet serotonin transporter different in venous vs. arterial blood?Emiliano Villa
Molecular Physiology and Bioimaging Institute, CNR, Sezione di Genova, Via De Toni 5, 16132, Genova, Italy
Neurochem Res 30:1365-7. 2005The binding of labelled paroxetine to the serotonin transporter (SERT) of platelet membranes has been studied in both venous and mixed venous/arterial blood of the rat...
- Serotonin transporter polymorphisms in familial and idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertensionElisabeth D Willers
Division of Allergy, Pulmonary, and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Medical Center North T 1218, Nashville, TN 37232 2650, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:798-802. 2006Serotonin is a pulmonary vasoconstrictor and smooth muscle cell mitogen. The serotonin transporter (SERT) is abundant in pulmonary vascular smooth muscle...
- The pulmonary hypertensive fawn-hooded rat has a normal serotonin transporter coding sequenceA M Gonzalez
Respiratory Medicine, Division of Clinical Science, University of Sheffield Medical School, Sheffield, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 19:245-9. 1998The coding sequence of the serotonin transporter gene was compared in two strains of rat-the Wistar and the fawn-hooded rat (FHR). The FHR has an inherited platelet storage-pool deficiency and a widespread impairment of serotonin storage...
- Cloning of a serotonin transporter affected by antidepressantsB J Hoffman
Laboratory of Cell Biology, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD 20892
Science 254:579-80. 1991..The 5HT transporter has significant homology to the gamma-aminobutyric acid, dopamine, and norepinephrine transporters...
- 1-(Aryl)-6-[alkoxyalkyl]-3-azabicyclo[3.1.0]hexanes and 6-(aryl)-6-[alkoxyalkyl]-3-azabicyclo[3.1.0]hexanes: a new series of potent and selective triple reuptake inhibitorsFabrizio Micheli
Neurosciences Centre of Excellence for Drug Discovery, GlaxoSmithKline Medicine Research Centre, Via Fleming 4, 37135 Verona, Italy
J Med Chem 53:2534-51. 2010..Among these compounds, microdialysis and in vivo experiments confirm that derivative 15 has an appropriate developability profile to be considered for further progression...
- Body distribution of infused serotonin in ratsA Elizabeth Linder
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 36:599-601. 2009....
- Vascular reactivity, 5-HT uptake, and blood pressure in the serotonin transporter knockout ratA Elizabeth Linder
Dept of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824 1317, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H1745-52. 2008The handling of serotonin [5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT)] depends on the serotonin transporter (SERT)...
- Pentylenetetrazol-kindling of seizures selectively decreases [3H]-citalopram binding in the CA-3 area of rat hippocampusJ Szyndler
Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University, 26 28 Krakowskie Przedmiescie Street, 00 927 Warsaw, Poland
Neurosci Lett 335:49-53. 2002..This effect was accompanied by a loss of neurons and activation of microglia in the hippocampal formation. The present data suggest the important role for CA3- serotonergic innervation in pentylenetetrazol induced kindling of seizures...
- Involvement of serotonin transporter extracellular loop 1 in serotonin binding and transportYuxin Mao
Department of Pharmacology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Mol Membr Biol 25:115-27. 2008Residues Tyr-110 through Gly-115 of serotonin transporter were replaced, one at a time, with cysteine...
- The existence of a local 5-hydroxytryptaminergic system in peripheral arteriesW Ni
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824 1317, USA
Br J Pharmacol 154:663-74. 2008..We hypothesized that a local 5-hydroxytryptaminergic system (including 5-HT synthesis, metabolism, uptake and release) with physiological function exists in peripheral arteries...
- Serotonin transporter dosage modulates long-term decision-making in rat and humanJudith R Homberg
Department of Cognitive Neuroscience, Donders Centre for Neuroscience, UMC St Radboud, Geert Grooteplein 28, 6525 GA Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Neuropharmacology 55:80-4. 2008..role in everyday life and is often disturbed in psychiatric conditions affected by the common human serotonin transporter promoter length polymorphism (5-HTTLPR)...
- Conserved role for the serotonin transporter gene in rat and mouse neurobehavioral endophenotypesA V Kalueff
Department of Pharmacology, Tulane University Medical School, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 34:373-86. 2010The serotonin transporter knockout (SERT(-/-)) mouse, generated in 1998, was followed by the SERT(-/-) rat, developed in 2006...
- Estradiol increases Pet-1 and serotonin transporter mRNA in the midbrain raphe nuclei of ovariectomized ratsHeidi M Rivera
Department of Psychology and Program in Neuroscience, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306 4301, USA
Brain Res 1259:51-8. 2009..Further studies are required to determine whether the increased expression of Pet-1 and 5-HTT mRNA plays a causal role in the anorexigenic effect of estradiol...
- Cloning and expression of a functional serotonin transporter from rat brainR D Blakely
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322
Nature 354:66-70. 1991..3-kilobase brainstem complementary DNA clone is sufficient to confer expression of a Na(+)-dependent 5HT transporter upon nonneural cells, with transport selectively and potently antagonized by 5HT uptake-specific ..
- Dopamine D4 Receptor in Sustained AttentionKehong Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2003..The findings may also provide a pharmacological basis for innovative treatment for ADHD to replace stimulant therapy. ..
- Gene-Gene Interactions in Pulmonary HypertensionELISABETH WILLERS; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Arterial 5-HT Transporter FunctionStephanie Watts; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our overall hypothesis is that the serotonin transporter (SERT) is present in peripheral arteries and has physiological consequence in arterial function...
- Arterial 5-HT Transporter FunctionStephanie Watts; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our overall hypothesis is that the serotonin transporter (SERT) is present in peripheral arteries and has physiological consequence in arterial function...
- Computational and Biochemical Docking of Dopamine Transporter AntagonistsRoxanne A Vaughan; Fiscal Year: 2010....