Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Slc2a5
Description: solute carrier family 2 member 5
Alias: solute carrier family 2, facilitated glucose transporter member 5, GLUT-5, fructose transporter, glucose transporter type 5, small intestine, solute carrier family 2 (facilitated glucose transporter), member 5, solute carrier family 2 (facilitated glucose/fructose transporter), member 5
- Nomura N, Verdon G, Kang H, Shimamura T, Nomura Y, Sonoda Y, et al. Structure and mechanism of the mammalian fructose transporter GLUT5. Nature. 2015;526:397-401 pubmed publisherThe altered activity of the fructose transporter GLUT5, an isoform of the facilitated-diffusion glucose transporter family, has been linked to disorders such as type 2 diabetes and obesity...
- Douard V, Choi H, Elshenawy S, Lagunoff D, Ferraris R. Developmental reprogramming of rat GLUT5 requires glucocorticoid receptor translocation to the nucleus. J Physiol. 2008;586:3657-73 pubmed publisher..consumption has increased dramatically but little is known about mechanisms regulating the intestinal fructose transporter GLUT5 in vivo...
- Singh A, Amlal H, Haas P, Dringenberg U, Fussell S, Barone S, et al. Fructose-induced hypertension: essential role of chloride and fructose absorbing transporters PAT1 and Glut5. Kidney Int. 2008;74:438-47 pubmed publisher..dietary fructose intake enhanced expression of this transporter as well as the fructose-absorbing transporter Slc2a5 (Glut5) in the small intestine of wild type mice...
- Houghton S, Iqbal C, Duenes J, Fatima J, Kasparek M, Sarr M. Coordinated, diurnal hexose transporter expression in rat small bowel: implications for small bowel resection. Surgery. 2008;143:79-93 pubmed..Transporter-mediated glucose uptake was greater in duodenum and jejunum compared with ileum. Regulation of hexose absorption in rat small bowel seems to be site-specific and mediated by multiple mechanisms. ..
- Shu H, Isenberg K, Cormier R, Benz A, Zorumski C. Expression of fructose sensitive glucose transporter in the brains of fructose-fed rats. Neuroscience. 2006;140:889-95 pubmed..Increased brain expression of glucose transporter 5 is likely to be important in the role of fructose as an alternative energy source. ..
- Darakhshan F, Hajduch E, Kristiansen S, Richter E, Hundal H. Biochemical and functional characterization of the GLUT5 fructose transporter in rat skeletal muscle. Biochem J. 1998;336 ( Pt 2):361-6 pubmedPrevious work has demonstrated that human skeletal muscle and adipose tissue both express the GLUT5 fructose transporter, but to date the issue of whether this protein is also expressed in skeletal muscle and adipose tissue of rodents has ..
- Mochizuki K, Sakaguchi N, Goda T. Triiodothyronine (T3) and fructose coordinately enhance expression of the GLUT5 gene in the small intestine of rats during weaning period. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2007;71:1345-7 pubmed..These results suggest that T(3) and fructose coordinately enhance jejunal expression of the GLUT5 gene in rats during weaning period. ..
- Inukai K, Asano T, Katagiri H, Ishihara H, Anai M, Fukushima Y, et al. Cloning and increased expression with fructose feeding of rat jejunal GLUT5. Endocrinology. 1993;133:2009-14 pubmed..Thus, an increase in fructose absorption up-regulates GLUT5 expression in the jejunum. These results are consistent with the notion that GLUT5 plays a major role in fructose absorption in the small intestine. ..