Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Slc12a3
Description: solute carrier family 12 member 3
Alias: NCC, TSC, solute carrier family 12 member 3, Na-Cl symporter, solute carrier family 12 (sodium/chloride transporter), member 3, solute carrier family 12 (sodium/chloride transporters), member 3, thiazide-sensitive Na-Cl cotransporter, thiazide-sensitive sodium-chloride cotransporter
- Altered renal expression of Na(+) transporters and ROMK in protein-deprived ratsMaría Celeste Ruete
IMBECU CONICET Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Tecnológicas, Mendoza, Argentina
Nephron Physiol 111:p17-29. 2009..The abundance of the aldosterone-regulated Na(+)-Cl(-) cotransporter (NCC) and epithelial Na(+) channel (ENaC) was higher in the LP group and was associated with higher plasma aldosterone ..
- Expression of the sodium potassium chloride cotransporter (NKCC1) and sodium chloride cotransporter (NCC) and their effects on rat lens transparencyK N Chee
New Zealand National Eye Centre, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Mol Vis 16:800-12. 2010To characterize the expression patterns of the Na+-K+-Cl(-) cotransporter (NKCC) 1 and NKCC2, and the Na+-Cl(-) cotransporter (NCC) in the rat lens and to determine if they play a role in regulating lens volume and transparency.
- Molecular cloning, primary structure, and characterization of two members of the mammalian electroneutral sodium-(potassium)-chloride cotransporter family expressed in kidneyG Gamba
Harvard Center for Study of Kidney Disease, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
J Biol Chem 269:17713-22. 1994..These proteins establish a new family of Na(+)-(K+)-Cl- cotransporters...
- Norepinephrine-evoked salt-sensitive hypertension requires impaired renal sodium chloride cotransporter activity in Sprague-Dawley ratsKathryn R Walsh
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics and the Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 310:R115-24. 2016Recent studies have implicated a role of norepinephrine (NE) in the activation of the sodium chloride cotransporter (NCC) to drive the development of salt-sensitive hypertension...
- WNK3 abrogates the NEDD4-2-mediated inhibition of the renal Na+-Cl- cotransporterDagmara Lagnaz
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland and
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 307:F275-86. 2014..WNK3 and the ubiquitin-protein ligase NEDD4-2 are key regulators of the thiazide-sensitive Na+-Cl- cotransporter (NCC), WNK3 as an activator and NEDD2-4 as an inhibitor...
- Renal NCC is unchanged in the midpregnant rat and decreased in the late pregnant rat despite avid renal Na+ retentionCrystal A West
Department of Physiology and Functional Genomics, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 309:F63-70. 2015..In the present study, we investigated the aldosterone-responsive Na(+)-Cl(-) cotransporter (NCC) in mid- and late pregnant rats compared with virgin rats...
- Ovarian hormones and prolactin increase renal NaCl cotransporter phosphorylationLorena Rojas-Vega
Molecular Physiology Unit, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico Department of Nephrology and Mineral Metabolism, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Mexico City, Mexico
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 308:F799-808. 2015..Accordingly, a dimorphic regulation of the thiazide-sensitive Na(+)-Cl(-) cotransporter (NCC) has been reported, with a higher activity in females than in males...
- Phosphorylation decreases ubiquitylation of the thiazide-sensitive cotransporter NCC and subsequent clathrin-mediated endocytosisLena L Rosenbaek
From the Department of Biomedicine and Center for Interactions of Proteins in Epithelial Transport, Aarhus University, Aarhus DK 8000, Denmark
J Biol Chem 289:13347-61. 2014The thiazide-sensitive sodium chloride cotransporter, NCC, is the major NaCl transport protein in the distal convoluted tubule (DCT)...
- Enhanced phosphorylation of Na(+)-Cl- co-transporter in experimental metabolic syndrome: role of insulinRadko Komers
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Clin Sci (Lond) 123:635-47. 2012In the present study, we investigated the activity of the thiazide-sensitive NCC (Na(+)-Cl(-) co-transporter) in experimental metabolic syndrome and the role of insulin in NCC activation...
- Rare mutations in SLC12A1 and SLC12A3 protect against hypertension by reducing the activity of renal salt cotransportersRocío Acuña
Molecular Physiology Unit, Instituto Nacional de Cardiologia Ignacio Chavez, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, and Instituto de Investigaciones Biomédicas, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México Tlalpan
J Hypertens 29:475-83. 2011Screening for variants in SLC12A1 and SLC12A3 genes, encoding the renal Na:Cl (NCC) and Na:K:2Cl (NKCC2) cotransporters, respectively, in 3125 members of the Framingham Heart Study (FHS) revealed that carrying a rare mutation in one of ..
- Short-term stimulation of the thiazide-sensitive Na+-Cl- cotransporter by vasopressin involves phosphorylation and membrane translocationK Mutig
, , , Philippstr 12, D 10115 Berlin, Germany
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 298:F502-9. 2010..The Na(+)-Cl(-) cotransporter (NCC) of DCT is activated by luminal trafficking and phosphorylation at conserved NH(2)-terminal residues...
- Acute hypertension provokes acute trafficking of distal tubule Na-Cl cotransporter (NCC) to subapical cytoplasmic vesiclesDonna H Lee
Dept of Cell and Neurobiology, Univ of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, 1333 San Pablo St, BMT 403, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 296:F810-8. 2009..Distal convoluted tubule Na(+)-Cl(-) cotransporter (NCC) is regulated by trafficking between the apical plasma membrane (APM) and subapical cytoplasmic vesicles (SCV)...
- WNK3 and WNK4 amino-terminal domain defines their effect on the renal Na+-Cl- cotransporterPedro San-Cristobal
Molecular Physiology Unit, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Vasco de Quiroga No 15, Tlalpan 14000, Mexico City, Mexico
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 295:F1199-206. 2008Loss of physiological regulation of the renal thiazide-sensitive Na+-Cl- cotransporter (NCC) by mutant WNK1 or WNK4 results in pseudohypoaldosteronism type II (PHAII) characterized by arterial hypertension and hyperkalemia...
- Upregulation of apical sodium-chloride cotransporter and basolateral chloride channels is responsible for the maintenance of salt-sensitive hypertensionGiovambattista Capasso
Department of Internal Medicine, Chair of Nephrology, Faculty of Medicine, Second University of Napoli, Napoli, Italy
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 295:F556-67. 2008..005) for Na+-Cl- (NCC) in distal convoluted tubules (DCT)...
- Expression of thiazide-sensitive Na+-Cl- cotransporter in the rat endolymphatic sacKosuke Akiyama
Department of Otolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, Kagawa University, Kita gun Miki cho Ikenobe 1750 1, Kagawa 761 0793, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 371:649-53. 2008..The thiazide-sensitive Na(+), Cl(-) cotransporter (TSC) is an electroneutral cotransporter specific to the kidney that plays an important role in absorption of NaCl in ..
- ANG II provokes acute trafficking of distal tubule Na+-Cl(-) cotransporter to apical membraneMonica B Sandberg
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 293:F662-9. 2007The distal convoluted tubule (DCT) Na+-Cl(-) cotransporter (NCC), the target of thiazide diuretics, is responsible for the reabsorption of 5-10% of filtered NaCl...
- The Na+:Cl- cotransporter is activated and phosphorylated at the amino-terminal domain upon intracellular chloride depletionDiana Pacheco-Alvarez
Molecular Physiology Unit, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Universidad Nacional Autónomade México, Tlalpan 14000, Mexico City, Mexico
J Biol Chem 281:28755-63. 2006..that has two major branches with inverse physiological functions and regulation: sodium-driven cotransporters (NCC and NKCC1/2) that mediate cellular Cl(-) influx are activated by phosphorylation, whereas potassium-driven ..
- Affinity-defining domains in the Na-Cl cotransporter: a different location for Cl- and thiazide bindingErika Moreno
Molecular Physiology Unit, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México Tlalpan 14000, Mexico City, Mexico
J Biol Chem 281:17266-75. 2006The thiazide-sensitive Na+-Cl- cotransporter (NCC) is the major pathway for salt reabsorption in the distal convoluted tubule, serves as a receptor for thiazide-type diuretics, and is involved in inherited diseases associated with ..
- Redistribution of distal tubule Na+-Cl- cotransporter (NCC) in response to a high-salt dietMonica B Sandberg
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90089 9142, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 291:F503-8. 2006The distal convoluted tubule (DCT) apical Na(+)-Cl(-) cotransporter (NCC) is responsible for the reabsorption of 5-10% of filtered NaCl and is the target for thiazide diuretics...
- Metabolic acidosis has dual effects on sodium handling by rat kidneySomia Faroqui
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 291:F322-31. 2006..67 meq/l) after 5d of CMA. The protein abundance of the cortical Na-Cl cotransporter (NCC) remained unchanged at 24 h, but increased significantly (P < 0.01) after 5d of CMA...
- Increased renal alpha-ENaC and NCC abundance and elevated blood pressure are independent of hyperaldosteronism in vasopressin escapeSwasti Tiwari
Department of Medicine, and Center for Sex Differences, Bldg D, Rm 232, Georgetown University, 4000 Reservoir Rd NW, Washington, DC 20057 1412, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 291:F49-57. 2006..abundance of the alpha-subunit of the epithelial sodium channel (ENaC), the thiazide-sensitive Na-Cl cotransporter (NCC), and the 70-kDa band of gamma-ENaC (Song J, Hu X, Khan O, Tian Y, Verbalis JG, and Ecelbarger CA...
- WNK3 kinase is a positive regulator of NKCC2 and NCC, renal cation-Cl- cotransporters required for normal blood pressure homeostasisJesse Rinehart
Department of Genetics, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:16777-82. 2005..SLC12A family, we used coexpression studies in Xenopus oocytes to investigate the effect of WNK3 on NCC and NKCC2, related kidney-specific transporters that mediate apical NaCl reabsorption in the thick ascending limb ..
- Gitelman syndrome: genetic and expression analysis of the thiazide-sensitive sodium-chloride transporter in blood cellsJose A Riancho
Department Internal Medicine, Hospital U M Valdecilla, 39008 Santander, Spain
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:217-20. 2006Gitelman syndrome is caused by mutations of the SLC12A3 gene, which encodes the thiazide-sensitive NaCl transporter NCCT...
- Sodium retention in rats with liver cirrhosis is associated with increased renal abundance of NaCl cotransporter (NCC)Zhenrong Yu
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, University Hospital Inselspital, University of Berne, Freiburgstrasse 15, 3010, Berne, Switzerland
Nephrol Dial Transplant 20:1833-41. 2005..Liver cirrhosis is associated with enhanced renal tubular sodium retention, the mechanism of which is still debated. We hypothesized that liver cirrhosis is associated with increased expression of renal epithelial sodium transporter(s)...
- The thiazide-sensitive Na(+)-Cl(-) cotransporter gene, C1784T, and adrenergic receptor-beta3 gene, T727C, may be gene polymorphisms susceptible to the antihypertensive effect of thiazide diureticsTetsutaro Matayoshi
Division of Hypertension and Nephrology, National Cardiovascular Center, Suita, Japan
Hypertens Res 27:821-33. 2004..Forty-eight SNPs in 17 genes (ADD1, GNB3, TSC [SLC12A3], MLR [NR3C2], NCX1 [SLC8A1], WNK1, WNK4, AGT, ACE, AT1 [AGTR1], CYP11B2, ADRB1, ADRB2, ADRB3, ADRA1A, ADRA1B, ..
- G2736A polymorphism of thiazide-sensitive Na-Cl cotransporter gene predisposes to hypertension in young womenAkiko Matsuo
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Japan
J Hypertens 22:2123-7. 2004The thiazide-sensitive Na-Cl cotransporter (TSC) is located in the distal renal tubules...
- Chloride accumulation in mammalian olfactory sensory neuronsHiroshi Kaneko
Institute for Biological Information Processing IBI 1, Forschungszentrum Julich, 52425 Julich, Germany
J Neurosci 24:7931-8. 2004..Cl(-) accumulation provides OSNs with the driving force for the depolarizing Cl(-) current that is the basis of the low-noise receptor current in these neurons...
- Ion and diuretic specificity of chimeric proteins between apical Na(+)-K(+)-2Cl(-) and Na(+)-Cl(-) cotransportersClaudia Tovar-Palacio
Molecular Physiology Unit, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Tlalpan 14000, Mexico City, Mexico
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 287:F570-7. 2004..Thus NH(2)-terminal and COOH-terminal domains do not play a role in defining these properties. A similar conclusion can be suggested for the Na(+)-Cl(-) cotransporter...
- Regulation of NHE3, NKCC2, and NCC abundance in kidney during aldosterone escape phenomenon: role of NOSharon Turban
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 285:F843-51. 2003..occurs largely as a result of a marked suppression of the abundance of the thiazide-sensitive Na-Cl cotransporter (NCC) of the distal convoluted tubule but have also demonstrated a paradoxical increase in the protein abundance of the ..
- N-Glycosylation at two sites critically alters thiazide binding and activity of the rat thiazide-sensitive Na(+):Cl(-) cotransporterRobert S Hoover
Molecular Physiology Unit, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Mexico City, Mexico
J Am Soc Nephrol 14:271-82. 2003..that the mutants displayed drastically decreased thiazide-sensitive (22)Na(+) uptake compared with wild-type NCC. Analysis of enhanced green fluorescence protein (EGFP)-tagged cotransporters demonstrated that this decrease in ..
- Interaction with grp58 increases activity of the thiazide-sensitive Na-Cl cotransporterBruce Wyse
Division of Nephrology, Hypertension, and Clinical Pharmacology, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, Oregon 97201, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 282:F424-30. 2002The thiazide-sensitive sodium-chloride cotransporter (NCC) is expressed by distal convoluted tubule cells of the mammalian kidney...
- Renal tubule-specific transcription and chromosomal localization of rat thiazide-sensitive Na-Cl cotransporter geneY Taniyama
Division of Nephrology, Endocrinology, and Vascular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 1 Seiryo machi, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8574, Japan
J Biol Chem 276:26260-8. 2001The molecular mechanism underlying the renal expression localization of the thiazide-sensitive Na-Cl cotransporter (TSC) gene was studied. The TSC gene was localized to chromosome 19p12-14...