Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Rsad2
Description: radical S-adenosyl methionine domain containing 2
Alias: Best5, Vig1, radical S-adenosyl methionine domain-containing protein 2, bone-expressed sequence tag 5 protein, viperin, virus inhibitory protein, endoplasmic reticulum-associated, interferon-inducible
- Zhu H, Cong J, Shenk T. Use of differential display analysis to assess the effect of human cytomegalovirus infection on the accumulation of cellular RNAs: induction of interferon-responsive RNAs. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:13985-90 pubmed..These RNAs accumulate after infection with virus that has been inactivated by treatment with UV light, indicating that the inducer is present in virions. We conclude that human cytomegalovirus induces interferon-responsive mRNAs. ..
- Qiu L, Cresswell P, Chin K. Viperin is required for optimal Th2 responses and T-cell receptor-mediated activation of NF-kappaB and AP-1. Blood. 2009;113:3520-9 pubmed publisherb>Viperin (virus inhibitory protein, endoplasmic reticulum [ER]-associated, interferon-inducible) has been identified as a highly inducible ER protein that has antiviral activity...
- Hinson E, Cresswell P. The antiviral protein, viperin, localizes to lipid droplets via its N-terminal amphipathic alpha-helix. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:20452-7 pubmed publisher..Here we show that the IFN-induced antiviral protein viperin, which localizes to the cytosolic face of the ER and inhibits HCV, localizes to lipid droplets...
- Seo J, Yaneva R, Hinson E, Cresswell P. Human cytomegalovirus directly induces the antiviral protein viperin to enhance infectivity. Science. 2011;332:1093-7 pubmed publisherb>Viperin is an interferon-inducible protein that is directly induced in cells by human cytomegalovirus (HCMV) infection. Why HCMV would induce viperin, which has antiviral activity, is unknown...
- Wang S, Wu X, Pan T, Song W, Wang Y, Zhang F, et al. Viperin inhibits hepatitis C virus replication by interfering with binding of NS5A to host protein hVAP-33. J Gen Virol. 2012;93:83-92 pubmed publisherb>Viperin is a type-I and -II interferon-inducible intracytoplasmic protein that mediates antiviral activity against several viruses. A previous study has reported that viperin could limit hepatitis C virus (HCV) replication in vitro...
- Teng T, Foo S, Simamarta D, Lum F, Teo T, Lulla A, et al. Viperin restricts chikungunya virus replication and pathology. J Clin Invest. 2012;122:4447-60 pubmed publisher..a cohort of CHIKV-infected patients revealed that type I IFNs controlled CHIKV infection via RSAD2 (which encodes viperin), an enigmatic multifunctional IFN-stimulated gene (ISG)...