Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Rps6
Description: ribosomal protein S6
Alias: 40S ribosomal protein S6
- Sulic S, Panic L, Barkic M, Mercep M, Uzelac M, Volarevic S. Inactivation of S6 ribosomal protein gene in T lymphocytes activates a p53-dependent checkpoint response. Genes Dev. 2005;19:3070-82 pubmed..the effect of impaired ribosome functions in vivo, we conditionally deleted one or two alleles of the 40S ribosomal protein S6 gene in T cells in the mouse...
- Niksic M, Slight J, Sanford J, Caceres J, Hastie N. The Wilms' tumour protein (WT1) shuttles between nucleus and cytoplasm and is present in functional polysomes. Hum Mol Genet. 2004;13:463-71 pubmed..Interestingly, despite the functional differences between two of the WT1 isoforms (+/-KTS) within the nucleus, both isoforms share the shuttling property and are found in translating polysomes. ..
- Volarevic S, Stewart M, Ledermann B, Zilberman F, Terracciano L, Montini E, et al. Proliferation, but not growth, blocked by conditional deletion of 40S ribosomal protein S6. Science. 2000;288:2045-7 pubmed..To test this possibility, we conditionally deleted the gene encoding 40S ribosomal protein S6 in the liver of adult mice...
- Mok K, Mruk D, Cheng C. rpS6 regulates blood-testis barrier dynamics through Akt-mediated effects on MMP-9. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:4870-82 pubmed publisher..rapamycin complex 1 (mTORC1) is an emerging regulator of blood-tissue barriers that utilizes ribosomal protein S6 (rpS6) as the downstream signaling molecule...
- Miranda L, Horman S, De Potter I, Hue L, Jensen J, Rider M. Effects of contraction and insulin on protein synthesis, AMP-activated protein kinase and phosphorylation state of translation factors in rat skeletal muscle. Pflugers Arch. 2008;455:1129-40 pubmed..stimulated protein synthesis (by 30%) and increased p70 ribosomal protein S6 kinase (p70S6K) Thr389, 40S ribosomal protein S6 (rpS6) Ser235/236, rpS6 Ser240/244 and eukaryotic initiation factor-4E-binding protein-1 (4E-BP1) Thr37/..
- Pirbhoy P, Farris S, Steward O. Synaptic activation of ribosomal protein S6 phosphorylation occurs locally in activated dendritic domains. Learn Mem. 2016;23:255-69 pubmed publisher..studies have shown that induction of long-term potentiation (LTP) induces phosphorylation of ribosomal protein S6 (rpS6) in postsynaptic neurons, but the functional significance of rpS6 phosphorylation is poorly understood...
- Panic L, Tamarut S, Sticker Jantscheff M, Barkic M, Solter D, Uzelac M, et al. Ribosomal protein S6 gene haploinsufficiency is associated with activation of a p53-dependent checkpoint during gastrulation. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:8880-91 pubmed..Thus, a p53-dependent checkpoint is activated during gastrulation in response to ribosome insufficiency to prevent improper execution of the developmental program. ..
- Ohji G, Hidayat S, Nakashima A, Tokunaga C, Oshiro N, Yoshino K, et al. Suppression of the mTOR-raptor signaling pathway by the inhibitor of heat shock protein 90 geldanamycin. J Biochem. 2006;139:129-35 pubmed..The protein kinase activity of S6K as well as the phosphorylation of the substrate, 40S ribosomal protein S6, were lowered in the geldanamycin-treated cells...
- Schmidt C, Lipsius E, Kruppa J. Nuclear and nucleolar targeting of human ribosomal protein S6. Mol Biol Cell. 1995;6:1875-85 pubmed..Analysis of several constructs reveals the existence of a specific domain that is essential but not sufficient for nucleolar accumulation of S6. ..
- Tavazoie S, Alvarez V, Ridenour D, Kwiatkowski D, Sabatini B. Regulation of neuronal morphology and function by the tumor suppressors Tsc1 and Tsc2. Nat Neurosci. 2005;8:1727-34 pubmed..Thus, the TSC pathway regulates growth and synapse function in neurons, and perturbations of neuronal structure and function are likely to contribute to the pathogenesis of the neurological symptoms of TSC. ..
- Lecomte F, Champagne B, Dasnoy J, Szpirer J, Szpirer C. The mammalian RPS6 gene, homolog of the Drosophila air8 tumor suppressor gene: is it an oncosuppressor gene?. Somat Cell Mol Genet. 1995;21:443-50 pubmed..We assigned the rat Rps6 gene to chromosome 5q22-33...
- Sugihara Y, Sadohara E, Yonezawa K, Kugo M, Oshima K, Matsuda T, et al. Identification and expression of an autosomal paralogue of ribosomal protein S4, X-linked, in mice: potential involvement of testis-specific ribosomal proteins in translation and spermatogenesis. Gene. 2013;521:91-9 pubmed publisher
- Takahashi Y, Ogata K. Ribosomal proteins cross-linked to natural mRNA by UV irradiation of rat liver polysomes. J Biochem. 1981;90:1549-52 pubmed..It was proposed that S3a, S6, L5, and L6 proteins, according to the proposed uniform nomenclature (McConkey et al. (1979) Mol. Gen. Genet. 169, 1-6(1)), were cross-linked to mRNA by UV irradiation. ..
- Kimball S, Horetsky R, Ron D, Jefferson L, Harding H. Mammalian stress granules represent sites of accumulation of stalled translation initiation complexes. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2003;284:C273-84 pubmed..Finally, we also show that stress granules contain many, if not all, of the components of the 48S preinitiation complex, but not 60S ribosomal subunits, suggesting that they represent stalled translation initiation complexes. ..
- Macfarlane D, Gailani D. Identification of phosphoprotein NP33 as a nucleus-associated ribosomal S6 protein and its phosphorylation in hematopoietic cells. Cancer Res. 1990;50:2895-900 pubmed..The amino-terminal amino acid sequence of NP33 appears to be the same as that of ribosomal S6 protein. NP33 appears to be S6 protein copurifying with the nuclear matrix. ..
- Smith T, Eaton M. Continuous ethanol exposure inhibits agonist-stimulated phosphorylation of p70S6 kinase and ribosomal S6 protein in cultured rat astrocytes. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2004;131:145-8 pubmed..In contrast, ethanol exposure had no effect on the protein expression of either p70S6 kinase or S6 protein. Our data suggest that continuous ethanol exposure results in a generalized decrease in agonist-activation of the p70S6 pathway. ..
- Chuang Y, Yang J, Yang D, Lin T, Liou C, Chen S. Roles of Sestrin2 and Ribosomal Protein S6 in Transient Global Ischemia-Induced Hippocampal Neuronal Injury. Int J Mol Sci. 2015;16:26406-16 pubmed publisher..In addition, sestrin2 may also regulate ribosomal protein S6 (RpS6), a molecule important for protein synthesis, through the effect of mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) complex ..
- Jeon Y, Kim I, Hong S, Nan H, Kim H, Lee H, et al. Ribosomal protein S6 is a selective mediator of TRAIL-apoptotic signaling. Oncogene. 2008;27:4344-52 pubmed publisher..performed a functional genetic screening and rescued TRAIL-resistant Jurkat clones harboring ribosomal protein S6 (rpS6) cDNA in anti-sense frame...
- Cook D, Sánchez Carbente M, Lachance C, Radzioch D, Tremblay S, Khandjian E, et al. Fragile X related protein 1 clusters with ribosomes and messenger RNAs at a subset of dendritic spines in the mouse hippocampus. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e26120 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that FXR1P is properly positioned to control local protein synthesis in the dendrite and at synapses in the central nervous system. ..
- Mourani P, Garl P, Wenzlau J, Carpenter T, Stenmark K, Weiser Evans M. Unique, highly proliferative growth phenotype expressed by embryonic and neointimal smooth muscle cells is driven by constitutive Akt, mTOR, and p70S6K signaling and is actively repressed by PTEN. Circulation. 2004;109:1299-306 pubmed..Growth of SMCs that exhibit this phenotype is dependent on constitutive Akt and mTOR/p70S6K signaling and is actively inhibited through the timed acquisition of the endogenously produced growth suppressor PTEN. ..