Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ptges
Description: prostaglandin E synthase
Alias: Pges, prostaglandin E synthase
- Majed B, Khalil R. Molecular mechanisms regulating the vascular prostacyclin pathways and their adaptation during pregnancy and in the newborn. Pharmacol Rev. 2012;64:540-82 pubmed publisher..Careful examination of PGI(2) metabolism and the complex interplay with other prostanoids will help design specific modulators of the PGI(2)-dependent pathways for the management of pregnancy-related and neonatal vascular disorders. ..
- Ota Y, Imai T, Hasumura M, Cho Y, Takami S, Oyamada T, et al. Prostaglandin synthases influence thyroid follicular cell proliferation but not carcinogenesis in rats initiated with N-bis(2-hydroxypropyl)nitrosamine. Toxicol Sci. 2012;127:339-47 pubmed publisher..COX inhibitors suppressed goitrogenic activity of SDM, but they did not significantly affect microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-2 (mPGES-2) expression levels enhanced by SDM...
- Eschwege P, Ferlicot S, Droupy S, Ba N, Conti M, Loric S, et al. A histopathologic investigation of PGE(2) pathways as predictors of proliferation and invasion in urothelial carcinomas of the bladder. Eur Urol. 2003;44:435-41 pubmed..We aimed to characterize cPLA(2), cyclooxygenase 2 (COX2) and prostaglandine E synthase (PGES) expression in human transitional carcinoma (TCC) of the urinary bladder and correlate with the Ki-67 proliferating ..
- Rask K, Zhu Y, Wang W, Hedin L, Sundfeldt K. Ovarian epithelial cancer: a role for PGE2-synthesis and signalling in malignant transformation and progression. Mol Cancer. 2006;5:62 pubmed..The expression and cell-specific localization of COX-1, COX-2, microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1 (mPGES-1) and two of the receptors for PGE2, EP1 and EP2, were examined by immunoblotting (IB) and ..
- Jegerschöld C, Pawelzik S, Purhonen P, Bhakat P, Gheorghe K, Gyobu N, et al. Structural basis for induced formation of the inflammatory mediator prostaglandin E2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:11110-5 pubmed publisher..Microsomal prostaglandin E synthase 1 (MPGES1) constitutes an inducible glutathione-dependent integral membrane protein that catalyzes the ..
- Bylund J, Annas A, Hellgren D, Bjurström S, Andersson H, Svanhagen A. Amide hydrolysis of a novel chemical series of microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1 inhibitors induces kidney toxicity in the rat. Drug Metab Dispos. 2013;41:634-41 pubmed publisherA novel microsomal prostaglandin E synthase 1 (mPGES-1) inhibitor induced kidney injury at exposures representing less than 4 times the anticipated efficacious exposure in man during a 7-day toxicity study in rats...
- Slimane M, Ferlicot S, Conti M, Droupy S, Cosson C, Paradis V, et al. Expression of cyclooxygenase 2 and prostaglandin E synthase after renal ischemia-reperfusion. Transplant Proc. 2002;34:2841-2 pubmed
- Elander N, Ungerbäck J, Olsson H, Uematsu S, Akira S, Soderkvist P. Genetic deletion of mPGES-1 accelerates intestinal tumorigenesis in APC(Min/+) mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;372:249-53 pubmed publisher..Here we demonstrate that APC(Min/+) mice with genetic deletion of microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1 (mPGES-1), which catalyses the terminal conversion of PGH(2) into PGE(2), surprisingly develop more and ..
- Gobeil F, Zhu T, Brault S, Geha A, Vazquez Tello A, Fortier A, et al. Nitric oxide signaling via nuclearized endothelial nitric-oxide synthase modulates expression of the immediate early genes iNOS and mPGES-1. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:16058-67 pubmed..of the immediate early genes iNOS (inducible nitric-oxide synthase (NOS)) and mPGES-1 (microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1)...
- Hayakawa T, Fujiwara Y, Hamaguchi M, Sugawa T, Okuyama M, Sasaki E, et al. Roles of cyclooxygenase 2 and microsomal prostaglandin E synthase 1 in rat acid reflux oesophagitis. Gut. 2006;55:450-6 pubmedAlthough prostaglandin E2 (PGE2), cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2), and microsomal prostaglandin E synthase 1 (mPGES-1) are known to play a role in various inflammatory events, their roles in the pathogenesis of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease ..
- Giannico G, Mendez M, LaPointe M. Regulation of the membrane-localized prostaglandin E synthases mPGES-1 and mPGES-2 in cardiac myocytes and fibroblasts. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2005;288:H165-74 pubmed..Thus differences in activity of mPGES-1 and COX-2 or coupling of COX-2 with mPGES-1 may contribute to differences in PGE(2) production by myocytes and fibroblasts. ..
- Brenneis C, Coste O, Altenrath K, Angioni C, Schmidt H, Schuh C, et al. Anti-inflammatory role of microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1 in a model of neuroinflammation. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:2331-42 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data suggest a role of mPGES-1-derived PGE(2) in resolution of neuroinflammation. ..
- Silva Bastos L, Pinheiro de Oliveira A, Magnus Schlachetzki J, Fiebich B. Minocycline reduces prostaglandin E synthase expression and 8-isoprostane formation in LPS-activated primary rat microglia. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2011;33:576-80 pubmed publisher..Additionally, minocycline (3-100 µM) inhibited the production of 8-iso-PGF(2?). This study warrants the conduction of in vivo studies to evaluate the pharmacological relevance of these findings. ..
- Rummel C, Matsumura K, Luheshi G. Circulating IL-6 contributes to peripheral LPS-induced mPGES-1 expression in the rat brain. Brain Res Bull. 2011;86:319-25 pubmed publisher..In summary, we have clearly shown that circulating IL-6 can directly induce mPGES-1 linked to STAT3-activation in the brain but not peripheral tissues of rats during localised peripheral inflammation. ..
- Gao C, Fu Y, Li Y, Zhang X, Zhang L, Yu F, et al. Microsomal Prostaglandin E Synthase-1-Derived PGE2 Inhibits Vascular Smooth Muscle Cell Calcification. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2016;36:108-21 pubmed publisher..In accordance, downregulation of microsomal prostaglandin E synthase (mPGES)-1 in VSMCs, mPGES-1(-/-) aorta with high-Pi stimulation and mPGES-1(-/-) chronic renal failure ..
- Kim B, Lee J, Yang M, Jou I, Joe E. Retinoic acid enhances prostaglandin E2 production through increased expression of cyclooxygenase-2 and microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1 in rat brain microglia. J Neurosci Res. 2008;86:1353-60 pubmed publisher..The results collectively suggest that ATRA modulates microglial responses to inflammatory stimulators, particularly at the late phase, via enhancement of COX-2 expression and PGE(2) production. ..
- Puxeddu E, Mitsutake N, Knauf J, Moretti S, Kim H, Seta K, et al. Microsomal prostaglandin E2 synthase-1 is induced by conditional expression of RET/PTC in thyroid PCCL3 cells through the activation of the MEK-ERK pathway. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:52131-8 pubmed..As enzymes involved in prostanoid biosynthesis can be targeted with pharmacological inhibitors, these findings may have therapeutic implications. ..
- Guay J, Bateman K, Gordon R, Mancini J, Riendeau D. Carrageenan-induced paw edema in rat elicits a predominant prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) response in the central nervous system associated with the induction of microsomal PGE2 synthase-1. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:24866-72 pubmed..The data also indicate that the up-regulation of mPGES-1 contributes to COX-2-mediated PGE(2) production in the CNS during peripheral inflammation. ..
- Mancini J, Blood K, Guay J, Gordon R, Claveau D, Chan C, et al. Cloning, expression, and up-regulation of inducible rat prostaglandin e synthase during lipopolysaccharide-induced pyresis and adjuvant-induced arthritis. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:4469-75 pubmed..The results demonstrate that PGE synthase is up-regulated in vivo after LPS or adjuvant administration and suggest that this is a key enzyme involved in the formation of PGE(2) in COX-2-mediated inflammatory and pyretic responses. ..
- Chishima F, Hayakawa S, Yamamoto T, Sugitani M, Karasaki Suzuki M, Sugita K, et al. Expression of inducible microsomal prostaglandin E synthase in local lesions of endometriosis patients. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2007;57:218-26 pubmedRecently, an inducible microsomal human prostaglandin E synthase (mPGES) was identified. This enzyme converts the cyclooxygenase (COX) product, prostaglandin (PG) H(2), to PGE(2), an eicosanoid linked to carcinogenesis...
- de Oliveira A, Candelario Jalil E, Bhatia H, Lieb K, Hull M, Fiebich B. Regulation of prostaglandin E2 synthase expression in activated primary rat microglia: evidence for uncoupled regulation of mPGES-1 and COX-2. Glia. 2008;56:844-55 pubmed publisher..The final step of its synthesis is regulated by enzymes termed prostaglandin E2 synthases (PGES). Three PGES are known, cytosolic (c)PGES, membrane-associated (m)PGES-1 and mPGES-2...
- Brenneis C, Maier T, Schmidt R, Hofacker A, Zulauf L, Jakobsson P, et al. Inhibition of prostaglandin E2 synthesis by SC-560 is independent of cyclooxygenase 1 inhibition. FASEB J. 2006;20:1352-60 pubmed..Taken together our data demonstrate that SC-560 acts at least in some cell types as an unselective COX inhibitor despite its selectivity toward COX-1 under cell-free conditions. ..
- Pham H, Shafer L, Slice L. CREB-dependent cyclooxygenase-2 and microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1 expression is mediated by protein kinase C and calcium. J Cell Biochem. 2006;98:1653-66 pubmed..These findings demonstrate a coordinated induction of COX-2 and mPGES-1 by PDB/TG that proceeds through PKC/ERK and Ca2+ signaling cascades, resulting in increased PGE2 production. ..
- Jang T, Min S, Bae J, Jung K, Lee J, Kim J, et al. Expression of cyclooxygenase 2, microsomal prostaglandin E synthase 1, and EP receptors is increased in rat oesophageal squamous cell dysplasia and Barrett's metaplasia induced by duodenal contents reflux. Gut. 2004;53:27-33 pubmed..Therefore, we examined the expression pattern of cyclooxygenase 1 (COX-1), COX-2, and microsomal prostaglandin E synthase 1 (mPGES-1), as well as EP receptor subtypes in rat oesophageal lesions induced by duodenal contents ..
- Candelario Jalil E, de Oliveira A, Gräf S, Bhatia H, Hull M, Munoz E, et al. Resveratrol potently reduces prostaglandin E2 production and free radical formation in lipopolysaccharide-activated primary rat microglia. J Neuroinflammation. 2007;4:25 pubmed..Protein levels of COX-1, COX-2 and microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1 (mPGES-1) were studied by Western blotting after 24 h of incubation with LPS...
- Jabbour H, Milne S, Williams A, Anderson R, Boddy S. Expression of COX-2 and PGE synthase and synthesis of PGE(2)in endometrial adenocarcinoma: a possible autocrine/paracrine regulation of neoplastic cell function via EP2/EP4 receptors. Br J Cancer. 2001;85:1023-31 pubmed..COX-2 and microsomal glutathione-dependent prostaglandin E synthase (mPGES) expression and PGE(2)synthesis were localised to the neoplastic epithelial cells and endothelial ..
- Parazzoli S, Harmon J, VALLERIE S, Zhang T, Zhou H, Robertson R. Cyclooxygenase-2, not microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1, is the mechanism for interleukin-1?-induced prostaglandin E2 production and inhibition of insulin secretion in pancreatic islets. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:32246-53 pubmed publisher..IL-1? inhibited glucose-stimulated insulin secretion equally in both WT and mPGES-1(-/-) islets, indicating that COX-2, not mPGES-1, mediates IL-1?-induced PGE(2) production and subsequent inhibition of insulin secretion. ..
- Shi Y, Cui L, Dai G, Chen J, Pan H, Song L, et al. Elevated prostaglandin E2 level via cPLA2--COX-2--mPGES-1 pathway involved in bladder carcinogenesis induced by terephthalic acid-calculi in Wistar rats. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2006;74:309-15 pubmed..PGE2 may be a biomarker for the development of bladder TCC. cPLA2 and mPGES-1 may be targets for development of novel chemoprevention strategies for bladder TCC. ..
- Appleton C, Pitelka V, Henry J, Beier F. Global analyses of gene expression in early experimental osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2007;56:1854-68 pubmed
- Vazquez Tello A, Fan L, Hou X, Joyal J, Mancini J, Quiniou C, et al. Intracellular-specific colocalization of prostaglandin E2 synthases and cyclooxygenases in the brain. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2004;287:R1155-63 pubmed..We aimed to determine whether microsomal and cytosolic PGES (mPGES-1 and cPGES) colocalize and coordinate activity with either COX-1 or COX-2 in brain tissue, particularly ..
- Wu Y, Su L, Wang H, Jeff Lin C, Hsu W, Chou T, et al. Co-overexpression of cyclooxygenase-2 and microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1 adversely affects the postoperative survival in non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol. 2010;5:1167-74 pubmed publisherCyclooxygenase (COX)-2 and microsomal prostaglandin E synthase (mPGES)-1 have been found to be overexpressed in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- Claveau D, Sirinyan M, Guay J, Gordon R, Chan C, Bureau Y, et al. Microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1 is a major terminal synthase that is selectively up-regulated during cyclooxygenase-2-dependent prostaglandin E2 production in the rat adjuvant-induced arthritis model. J Immunol. 2003;170:4738-44 pubmed..model, we have determined the temporal expression of the inducible PGE synthase (mPGES-1), mPGES-2, the cytosolic PGES (cPGES/p23), and prostacyclin synthase, and compared with that of cyclooxygenase-1 (COX-1) and COX-2...
- Mehrotra S, Morimiya A, Agarwal B, Konger R, Badve S. Microsomal prostaglandin E2 synthase-1 in breast cancer: a potential target for therapy. J Pathol. 2006;208:356-63 pubmed..The latter action is believed to be important for the development of adverse cardio-vascular events. Microsomal PGES (mPGES-1) is an enzyme downstream to COX-2 and affects PGE(2) production only...