Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Prkd1
Description: protein kinase D1
Alias: Pkcm, Prkcm, nPKC-D1, nPKC-mu, serine/threonine-protein kinase D1, protein kinase C mu type
- Storz P, Döppler H, Johannes F, Toker A. Tyrosine phosphorylation of protein kinase D in the pleckstrin homology domain leads to activation. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:17969-76 pubmed..These data reveal a tyrosine phosphorylation-dependent activation mechanism for PKD and suggest that this event contributes to the release of the autoinhibitory PKD PH domain leading to kinase activation and downstream responses. ..
- Czöndör K, Ellwanger K, Fuchs Y, Lutz S, Gulyás M, Mansuy I, et al. Protein kinase D controls the integrity of Golgi apparatus and the maintenance of dendritic arborization in hippocampal neurons. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2108-20 pubmed publisher..Our results thus provide direct evidence that PKD activity is selectively involved in the maintenance of dendritic arborization and Golgi structure of hippocampal neurons. ..
- Eisenberg Lerner A, Kimchi A. PKD is a kinase of Vps34 that mediates ROS-induced autophagy downstream of DAPk. Cell Death Differ. 2012;19:788-97 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results describe PKD as a novel Vps34 kinase that functions as an effecter of autophagy under oxidative stress. ..
- Yuan J, Lugea A, Zheng L, Gukovsky I, Edderkaoui M, Rozengurt E, et al. Protein kinase D1 mediates NF-kappaB activation induced by cholecystokinin and cholinergic signaling in pancreatic acinar cells. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2008;295:G1190-201 pubmed publisher..Our results identify PKD1 as a novel early convergent point for PKCdelta and epsilon in the signaling pathways mediating NF-kappaB activation in pancreatitis. ..
- Hermanto U, Zong C, Li W, Wang L. RACK1, an insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) receptor-interacting protein, modulates IGF-I-dependent integrin signaling and promotes cell spreading and contact with extracellular matrix. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:2345-65 pubmed
- Serra R, Fang M, Park S, Hutchinson L, Green M. A KRAS-directed transcriptional silencing pathway that mediates the CpG island methylator phenotype. elife. 2014;3:e02313 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that ZNF304 also directs transcriptional silencing of INK4-ARF in human embryonic stem cells. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.02313.001...
- Pauken C, Capco D. The expression and stage-specific localization of protein kinase C isotypes during mouse preimplantation development. Dev Biol. 2000;223:411-21 pubmed..Two isotypes have a stage-dependent nuclear localization. In addition, within each blastomere PKC isotypes occupy different subcellular locations in a stage-dependent fashion. ..
- Jensen E, Gopalakrishnan R, Westendorf J. Bone morphogenic protein 2 activates protein kinase D to regulate histone deacetylase 7 localization and repression of Runx2. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:2225-34 pubmed publisher..These results establish a novel pathway by which BMP signaling regulates Runx2 activity via PKD-dependent inhibition of HDAC7 transcriptional repression. ..
- Krueger D, Osterweil E, Bear M. Activation of mGluR5 induces rapid and long-lasting protein kinase D phosphorylation in hippocampal neurons. J Mol Neurosci. 2010;42:1-8 pubmed publisher..These findings have important implications for the study of the molecular mechanisms underlying mGluR-dependent synaptic plasticity. ..
- Chen Y, Chen Y, Huang S, Wang S. Protein kinase C? mediates adenosine-stimulated steroidogenesis in primary rat adrenal cells. FEBS Lett. 2010;584:4442-8 pubmed publisher..Finally, inhibition of either A(2A)AR or A(2B)AR led to the suppression of PKC? phosphorylation. Together, these findings suggest that A(2)AR-PKC?-MEK signaling mediates Ado-stimulated adrenal steroidogenesis. ..
- Dirkx E, Cazorla O, Schwenk R, Lorenzen Schmidt I, Sadayappan S, Van Lint J, et al. Protein kinase D increases maximal Ca2+-activated tension of cardiomyocyte contraction by phosphorylation of cMyBP-C-Ser315. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2012;303:H323-31 pubmed publisher..Thus, during high contraction frequency, PKD facilitates contraction of cardiomyocytes by increasing Ca(2+) sensitivity and by an increased T(max) through phosphorylation of cMyBP-C. ..
- Song J, Li J, Qiao J, Jain S, Mark Evers B, Chung D. PKD prevents H2O2-induced apoptosis via NF-kappaB and p38 MAPK in RIE-1 cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;378:610-4 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that PKD protects intestinal cells through up-regulation of NF-kappaB and down-regulation of p38 MAPK. ..
- Kim M, Wang F, Puthanveetil P, Kewalramani G, Innis S, Marzban L, et al. Cleavage of protein kinase D after acute hypoinsulinemia prevents excessive lipoprotein lipase-mediated cardiac triglyceride accumulation. Diabetes. 2009;58:2464-75 pubmed publisher..CONCLUSIONS After severe hypoinsulinemia, activation of caspase-3 can restrict LPL translocation to the vascular lumen. When caspase-3 is inhibited, this compensatory response is lost, leading to lipid accumulation in the heart. ..
- Najibi M, Labed S, Visvikis O, IRAZOQUI J. An Evolutionarily Conserved PLC-PKD-TFEB Pathway for Host Defense. Cell Rep. 2016;15:1728-42 pubmed publisher..In addition, PKC? was required in macrophages. These observations reveal a previously unknown host defense signaling pathway, which has been conserved across one billion years of evolution. ..
- Tan M, Xu X, Ohba M, Ogawa W, Cui M. Thrombin rapidly induces protein kinase D phosphorylation, and protein kinase C delta mediates the activation. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:2824-8 pubmed..Taken together, the findings of the present study demonstrate that thrombin induces activation of PKD and reveal a novel role of PKC delta in mediating thrombin-induced PKD activation in vascular smooth muscle cells. ..
- Storz P, Hausser A, Link G, Dedio J, Ghebrehiwet B, Pfizenmaier K, et al. Protein kinase C [micro] is regulated by the multifunctional chaperon protein p32. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:24601-7 pubmed..Together, these findings identify p32 as a novel, compartment-specific regulator of PKC mu kinase activity. ..
- Wang J, Sinnett Smith J, Stevens J, Young S, Rozengurt E. Biphasic Regulation of Yes-associated Protein (YAP) Cellular Localization, Phosphorylation, and Activity by G Protein-coupled Receptor Agonists in Intestinal Epithelial Cells: A NOVEL ROLE FOR PROTEIN KINASE D (PKD). J Biol Chem. 2016;291:17988-8005 pubmed publisher..The discovery of interaction between YAP and PKD pathways identifies a novel cross-talk in signal transduction and demonstrates, for the first time, that the PKDs feed into the YAP pathway. ..
- Bradford M, Soltoff S. P2X7 receptors activate protein kinase D and p42/p44 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) downstream of protein kinase C. Biochem J. 2002;366:745-55 pubmed
- Maturana A, Walchli S, Iwata M, Ryser S, Van Lint J, Hoshijima M, et al. Enigma homolog 1 scaffolds protein kinase D1 to regulate the activity of the cardiac L-type voltage-gated calcium channel. Cardiovasc Res. 2008;78:458-65 pubmed publisher..We propose a model where ENH1 scaffolds PKD1 to alpha1C in order to form a signalling complex that regulates the activity of cardiac L-type voltage-gated Ca(2+) channels. ..
- Rey O, Zhukova E, Sinnett Smith J, Rozengurt E. Vasopressin-induced intracellular redistribution of protein kinase D in intestinal epithelial cells. J Cell Physiol. 2003;196:483-92 pubmed..These findings provide evidence for a mechanism by which PKC coordinates in intestinal epithelial cells the translocation and activation of PKD in response to vasopressin-induced GPCR activation. ..
- Edwards M, Johnson J, Rankin K, Jenkins R, Maguire C, Morgan A, et al. PKC-2 phosphorylation of UNC-18 Ser322 in AFD neurons regulates temperature dependency of locomotion. J Neurosci. 2012;32:7042-51 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that an individual DAG-dependent thermosensory behavior of an organism is effected specifically by the downstream PKC-2 phosphorylation of UNC-18 on Ser322 in AFD neurons. ..
- Dirkx E, Schwenk R, Coumans W, Hoebers N, Angin Y, Viollet B, et al. Protein kinase D1 is essential for contraction-induced glucose uptake but is not involved in fatty acid uptake into cardiomyocytes. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:5871-81 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we present a novel contraction-induced ROS-DAPK-PKD1 pathway in cardiomyocytes. This pathway is activated separately from AMPK and mediates GLUT4 translocation/glucose uptake, but not CD36 translocation/LCFA uptake. ..
- Wang Y, Kedei N, Wang M, Wang Q, Huppler A, Toth A, et al. Interaction between protein kinase Cmu and the vanilloid receptor type 1. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:53674-82 pubmed..6) Mutation of S116A in rVR1 blocked both the phosphorylation of rVR1 by PKCmu and the enhancement by PKCmu of the rVR1 response to capsaicin. We conclude that PKCmu functions as a direct modulator of rVR1. ..
- Jhun B, O Uchi J, Wang W, Ha C, Zhao J, Kim J, et al. Adrenergic signaling controls RGK-dependent trafficking of cardiac voltage-gated L-type Ca2+ channels through PKD1. Circ Res. 2012;110:59-70 pubmed publisher..Our results uncover a novel molecular regulatory mechanism of VLCC trafficking and function in the heart and provide the first demonstration of physiological regulation of RGK function. ..
- Goodall M, Wardlow R, Goldblum R, Ziman A, Lederer W, Randall W, et al. Novel function of cardiac protein kinase D1 as a dynamic regulator of Ca2+ sensitivity of contraction. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:41686-700 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data reveal that localized PKD may play a role as a dynamic regulator of Ca(2+) sensitivity of contraction in cardiac myocytes. ..
- Sin Y, Baillie G. Heat shock protein 20 (HSP20) is a novel substrate for protein kinase D1 (PKD1). Cell Biochem Funct. 2015;33:421-6 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that both PKA and PKD1 can both phosphorylate HSP20 on serine 16 but that PKA is the most dominant. ..
- Tinsley J, Teasdale N, Yuan S. Involvement of PKCdelta and PKD in pulmonary microvascular endothelial cell hyperpermeability. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2004;286:C105-11 pubmed
- Liljedahl M, Maeda Y, Colanzi A, Ayala I, van Lint J, Malhotra V. Protein kinase D regulates the fission of cell surface destined transport carriers from the trans-Golgi network. Cell. 2001;104:409-20 pubmed..Our results suggest that PKD regulates the fission from the TGN of transport carriers that are en route to the cell surface. ..
- Sinnett Smith J, Ni Y, Wang J, Ming M, Young S, Rozengurt E. Protein kinase D1 mediates class IIa histone deacetylase phosphorylation and nuclear extrusion in intestinal epithelial cells: role in mitogenic signaling. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2014;306:C961-71 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results reveal a PKD1-class IIa HDAC axis in intestinal epithelial cells leading to mitogenic signaling. ..
- Haworth R, Cuello F, Avkiran M. Regulation by phosphodiesterase isoforms of protein kinase A-mediated attenuation of myocardial protein kinase D activation. Basic Res Cardiol. 2011;106:51-63 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, PDE3 and PDE4 play redundant roles in this process, such that inhibition of both isoforms is required to achieve PKA-mediated attenuation of PKD activation. ..
- Evans I, Bagherzadeh A, Charles M, Raynham T, Ireson C, Boakes A, et al. Characterization of the biological effects of a novel protein kinase D inhibitor in endothelial cells. Biochem J. 2010;429:565-72 pubmed publisher..CRT5, a novel specific PKD inhibitor, will greatly facilitate the study of the role of PKD signalling mechanisms in angiogenesis. ..