Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Prkaa1
Description: protein kinase AMP-activated catalytic subunit alpha 1
Alias: AMPKalpha1, 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase catalytic subunit alpha-1, ACACA kinase, AMPK alpha-1 chain, HMGCR kinase, acetyl-CoA carboxylase kinase, hydroxymethylglutaryl-CoA reductase kinase, protein kinase, AMP-activated, alpha 1 catalytic subunit, tau-protein kinase PRKAA1
- Meares G, Hughes K, Jaimes K, Salvatori A, Rhodes C, Corbett J. AMP-activated protein kinase attenuates nitric oxide-induced beta-cell death. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:3191-200 pubmed publisher..Overall, these data show that nitric oxide activates AMPK and that active AMPK suppresses apoptotic signaling allowing the beta-cell to recover from nitric oxide-mediated cellular stress. ..
- Xiao B, Heath R, Saiu P, Leiper F, Leone P, Jing C, et al. Structural basis for AMP binding to mammalian AMP-activated protein kinase. Nature. 2007;449:496-500 pubmed..The structure also suggests a mechanism for propagating AMP/ATP signalling whereby a phosphorylated residue from the alpha and/or beta subunits binds to the gamma subunit in the presence of AMP but not when ATP is bound. ..
- Hurley R, Barre L, Wood S, Anderson K, Kemp B, Means A, et al. Regulation of AMP-activated protein kinase by multisite phosphorylation in response to agents that elevate cellular cAMP. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:36662-72 pubmed
- Woods A, Salt I, Scott J, Hardie D, Carling D. The alpha1 and alpha2 isoforms of the AMP-activated protein kinase have similar activities in rat liver but exhibit differences in substrate specificity in vitro. FEBS Lett. 1996;397:347-51 pubmed..Using variant peptides, however, we show that alpha1 and alpha2 exhibit slightly different substrate preferences, which suggest that the two isoforms could play different physiological roles within the cell. ..
- Cheung P, Salt I, Davies S, Hardie D, Carling D. Characterization of AMP-activated protein kinase gamma-subunit isoforms and their role in AMP binding. Biochem J. 2000;346 Pt 3:659-69 pubmed..Labelling studies, using the reactive AMP analogue 8-azido-[(32)P]AMP, indicate that the gamma subunit may participate directly in the binding of AMP within the complex. ..
- Pearson H, McCarthy A, Collins C, Ashworth A, Clarke A. Lkb1 deficiency causes prostate neoplasia in the mouse. Cancer Res. 2008;68:2223-32 pubmed publisher..For the first time, this model establishes a link between the tumor suppressor Lkb1 and prostate neoplasia, highlighting a tumor suppressive role within the mouse and raising the possibility of a similar association in the human. ..
- Fukuyama Y, Ohta K, Okoshi R, Suehara M, Kizaki H, Nakagawa K. Hypoxia induces expression and activation of AMPK in rat dental pulp cells. J Dent Res. 2007;86:903-7 pubmed..Down-regulation of AMPKalpha1 by siRNA inhibited cell proliferation under both normoxia and hypoxia, revealing that AMPK induction and ..
- Kilbride S, Farrelly A, Bonner C, Ward M, Nyhan K, Concannon C, et al. AMP-activated protein kinase mediates apoptosis in response to bioenergetic stress through activation of the pro-apoptotic Bcl-2 homology domain-3-only protein BMF. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:36199-206 pubmed publisher..This in turn mediates the transcriptional activation of the pro-apoptotic Bcl-2-homology protein BMF, coupling prolonged energy stress to apoptosis activation. ..
- Jian M, Alexeyev M, Wolkowicz P, Zmijewski J, Creighton J. Metformin-stimulated AMPK-?1 promotes microvascular repair in acute lung injury. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2013;305:L844-55 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide novel evidence for AMPK-?1 as a vascular repair mechanism important in the pulmonary response to sepsis and identify a role for metformin treatment in the management of capillary injury. ..
- Shaw R, Lamia K, Vasquez D, Koo S, Bardeesy N, Depinho R, et al. The kinase LKB1 mediates glucose homeostasis in liver and therapeutic effects of metformin. Science. 2005;310:1642-6 pubmed..Finally, we show that metformin, one of the most widely prescribed type 2 diabetes therapeutics, requires LKB1 in the liver to lower blood glucose levels. ..
- Liu Y, Wan Q, Guan Q, Gao L, Zhao J. High-fat diet feeding impairs both the expression and activity of AMPKa in rats' skeletal muscle. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;339:701-7 pubmed..05). High-fat feeding impaired both the expression and activities of AMPKa, while activating AMPKa by metformin obviously ameliorated high-fat induced insulin resistance, thus indicating a possible role of AMPKa in lipotoxicity. ..
- Baba M, Hong S, Sharma N, Warren M, Nickerson M, Iwamatsu A, et al. Folliculin encoded by the BHD gene interacts with a binding protein, FNIP1, and AMPK, and is involved in AMPK and mTOR signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:15552-7 pubmed..Our data suggest that FLCN, mutated in Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome, and its interacting partner FNIP1 may be involved in energy and/or nutrient sensing through the AMPK and mTOR signaling pathways. ..
- Sinha R, Singh B, Zhou J, Wu Y, Farah B, Ohba K, et al. Thyroid hormone induction of mitochondrial activity is coupled to mitophagy via ROS-AMPK-ULK1 signaling. Autophagy. 2015;11:1341-57 pubmed publisher..of ROS activates CAMKK2 (calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase kinase 2, Î²) mediated phosphorylation of PRKAA1/AMPK (5' AMP-activated protein kinase), which in turn phosphorylates ULK1 (unc-51 like autophagy activating kinase ..
- Xi X, Han J, Zhang J. Stimulation of glucose transport by AMP-activated protein kinase via activation of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:41029-34 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that AICAR-stimulated activation of p38 is indeed mediated by AMPK, and the p38 MAPK cascade is downstream of AMPK in the signaling pathway of AICAR-stimulated glucose transport in Clone 9 cells. ..
- Miyamoto L, Ebihara K, Kusakabe T, Aotani D, Yamamoto Kataoka S, Sakai T, et al. Leptin activates hepatic 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase through sympathetic nervous system and ?1-adrenergic receptor: a potential mechanism for improvement of fatty liver in lipodystrophy by leptin. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:40441-7 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the down-regulation of hepatic AMPK activities plays a pathophysiological role in the metabolic disturbances of lipodystrophy, and the hepatic AMPK activation is involved in the therapeutic effects of leptin. ..
- Hawley S, Pan D, Mustard K, Ross L, Bain J, Edelman A, et al. Calmodulin-dependent protein kinase kinase-beta is an alternative upstream kinase for AMP-activated protein kinase. Cell Metab. 2005;2:9-19 pubmed..Our results suggest a potential Ca(2+)-dependent neuroprotective pathway involving phosphorylation and activation of AMPK by CaMKKbeta. ..
- Huang D, Gao H, Boini K, Osswald H, Nurnberg B, Lang F. In vivo stimulation of AMP-activated protein kinase enhanced tubuloglomerular feedback but reduced tubular sodium transport during high dietary NaCl intake. Pflugers Arch. 2010;460:187-96 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that AMPK regulates tubuloglomerular balance as well as tubular transport upon change of renal work load. ..
- Yan J, Duan J, Wu X, Guo C, Yin Y, Zhu Y, et al. Total saponins from Aralia taibaiensis protect against myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury through AMPK pathway. Int J Mol Med. 2015;36:1538-46 pubmed publisher..These effects were blocked by compound C. The results suggested that sAT pretreatment exerts protective effects on myocardial cells in vitro and in vivo against MI/RI-induced apoptosis by activating AMPK pathway. ..
- Li H, Satriano J, Thomas J, Miyamoto S, Sharma K, Pastor Soler N, et al. Interactions between HIF-1Î± and AMPK in the regulation of cellular hypoxia adaptation in chronic kidney disease. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2015;309:F414-28 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, HIF-1Î± and AMPK appear to be linked at a molecular level and may act as components of a concerted cellular response to hypoxic stress in the pathophysiology of CKD. ..
- Gruzman A, Shamni O, Ben Yakir M, Sandovski D, Elgart A, Alpert E, et al. Novel D-xylose derivatives stimulate muscle glucose uptake by activating AMP-activated protein kinase alpha. J Med Chem. 2008;51:8096-108 pubmed publisher..These results show that lipophilic D-xylose derivatives may serve as prototype molecules for the development of novel antihyperglycemic drugs for the treatment of diabetes. ..
- Slattery M, John E, Torres Mejía G, Lundgreen A, Herrick J, Baumgartner K, et al. Genetic variation in genes involved in hormones, inflammation and energetic factors and breast cancer risk in an admixed population. Carcinogenesis. 2012;33:1512-21 pubmed publisher..whereas among women with high Native American ancestry, breast cancer risk was associated with IkBKB, mTOR, PDK2, PRKAA1, RPS6KA2 and TSC1. Higher Native American ancestry was associated with reduced breast cancer risk...
- Tan B, Luan Z, Wei X, He Y, Wei G, Johnstone B, et al. AMP-activated kinase mediates adipose stem cell-stimulated neuritogenesis of PC12 cells. Neuroscience. 2011;181:40-7 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that, in addition to possessing neuroprotective properties, ASC-CM mediates repair of damaged tissues through inducing neuronal differentiation via NGF-induced AMPK activation. ..
- Ussher J, Jaswal J, Wagg C, Armstrong H, Lopaschuk D, Keung W, et al. Role of the atypical protein kinase Czeta in regulation of 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase in cardiac and skeletal muscle. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2009;297:E349-57 pubmed publisher..We conclude that PKCzeta plays a very minor role in the regulation of AMPK in cardiac and skeletal muscle and may actually be a downstream target of AMPK in skeletal muscle. ..
- Shaked M, Ketzinel Gilad M, Cerasi E, Kaiser N, Leibowitz G. AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) mediates nutrient regulation of thioredoxin-interacting protein (TXNIP) in pancreatic beta-cells. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e28804 pubmed publisher..The finding that AMPK mediates nutrient regulation of TXNIP may have important implications for the pathophysiology and treatment of diabetes. ..
- Tarini V, Carnevali L, Arida R, Cunha C, Alves E, Seeleander M, et al. Effect of exhaustive ultra-endurance exercise in muscular glycogen and both Alpha1 and Alpha2 Ampk protein expression in trained rats. J Physiol Biochem. 2013;69:429-40 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, acute exhaustive ultra-endurance exercise promoted muscle glycogen depletion. It seems that total AMPK protein and gene expression is more influenced by status training. ..
- Yang Z, Kahn B, Shi H, Xue B. Macrophage alpha1 AMP-activated protein kinase (alpha1AMPK) antagonizes fatty acid-induced inflammation through SIRT1. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:19051-9 pubmed publisher..Our study defines a novel role for AMPK in bridging the signaling between nutrient metabolism and inflammation. ..
- Marsin A, Bertrand L, Rider M, Deprez J, Beauloye C, Vincent M, et al. Phosphorylation and activation of heart PFK-2 by AMPK has a role in the stimulation of glycolysis during ischaemia. Curr Biol. 2000;10:1247-55 pubmed..AMPK phosphorylates and activates heart PFK-2 in vitro and in intact cells. AMPK-mediated PFK-2 activation is likely to be involved in the stimulation of heart glycolysis during ischaemia. ..
- Lamia K, Sachdeva U, DiTacchio L, Williams E, Alvarez J, Egan D, et al. AMPK regulates the circadian clock by cryptochrome phosphorylation and degradation. Science. 2009;326:437-40 pubmed publisher..Thus, phosphorylation by AMPK enables cryptochrome to transduce nutrient signals to circadian clocks in mammalian peripheral organs. ..
- Hallows K, Raghuram V, Kemp B, Witters L, Foskett J. Inhibition of cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator by novel interaction with the metabolic sensor AMP-activated protein kinase. J Clin Invest. 2000;105:1711-21 pubmed
- Lee H, Lee J, Kim N, Kim J, Kim H, Lee Y, et al. Irisin, a Novel Myokine, Regulates Glucose Uptake in Skeletal Muscle Cells via AMPK. Mol Endocrinol. 2015;29:873-81 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that irisin plays an important role in glucose metabolism via the ROS-mediated AMPK pathway in skeletal muscle cells. ..
- Meltzer Mats E, Babai Shani G, Pasternak L, Uritsky N, Getter T, Viskind O, et al. Synthesis and mechanism of hypoglycemic activity of benzothiazole derivatives. J Med Chem. 2013;56:5335-50 pubmed publisher..In accord with its activity, compound 34 showed a high fit value to a pharmacophore model derived from the PT-1. ..
- Yamauchi T, Kamon J, Ito Y, Tsuchida A, Yokomizo T, Kita S, et al. Cloning of adiponectin receptors that mediate antidiabetic metabolic effects. Nature. 2003;423:762-9 pubmed
- Lv Z, Liu Y, Zhang P, Xu J, Jia Z, Wang R, et al. The role of AMPK? in high-glucose-induced dysfunction of cultured rat mesangial cells. Ren Fail. 2012;34:616-21 pubmed publisher..High glucose impaired AMPK? in its expression and activity; AICAR significantly ameliorated high-glucose-induced proliferation of MCs and collagen IV production, indicating a role of AMPK? in high-glucose-induced dysfunction of MCs. ..
- Javadov S, Rajapurohitam V, Kilic A, Zeidan A, Choi A, Karmazyn M. Anti-hypertrophic effect of NHE-1 inhibition involves GSK-3beta-dependent attenuation of mitochondrial dysfunction. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2009;46:998-1007 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, anti-hypertrophic effect of NHE-1 inhibition can be mediated through activation of GSK-3beta which in turn induces inhibition of mPTP opening due to VDAC phosphorylation. ..
- Li Y, Xu S, Mihaylova M, Zheng B, Hou X, Jiang B, et al. AMPK phosphorylates and inhibits SREBP activity to attenuate hepatic steatosis and atherosclerosis in diet-induced insulin-resistant mice. Cell Metab. 2011;13:376-388 pubmed publisher..AMPK-dependent phosphorylation of SREBP may offer therapeutic strategies to combat insulin resistance, dyslipidemia, and atherosclerosis. ..
- Misra J, Chanda D, Kim D, Li T, Koo S, Back S, et al. Curcumin differentially regulates endoplasmic reticulum stress through transcriptional corepressor SMILE (small heterodimer partner-interacting leucine zipper protein)-mediated inhibition of CREBH (cAMP responsive element-binding protein H). J Biol Chem. 2011;286:41972-84 pubmed publisher..Overall, for the first time we suggest a novel phenomenon that the curcumin/LKB1/AMPK/SMILE/PGC1? pathway differentially regulates ER stress-mediated gene transcription. ..
- Wen J, Liu C, Bi W, Hu Y, Chen Q, Huang H, et al. Adiponectin inhibits KISS1 gene transcription through AMPK and specificity protein-1 in the hypothalamic GT1-7 neurons. J Endocrinol. 2012;214:177-89 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our results provide the first evidence that adiponectin reduces Kiss1 gene transcription in GT1-7 cells through activation of AMPK and subsequently decreased translocation of SP1. ..
- Lee K, Jo S, Kim H, Lee J, Park C. Functional modulation of AMP-activated protein kinase by cereblon. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1813:448-55 pubmed publisher..Moreover, AMPK ?1 can be potently activated by suppressing endogenous CRBN using CRBN-specific small hairpin RNAs. Thus, CRBN may act as a negative modulator of the AMPK signaling pathway in vivo. ..
- Mitchelhill K, Stapleton D, Gao G, House C, Michell B, Katsis F, et al. Mammalian AMP-activated protein kinase shares structural and functional homology with the catalytic domain of yeast Snf1 protein kinase. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:2361-4 pubmed
- Iseli T, Walter M, van Denderen B, Katsis F, Witters L, Kemp B, et al. AMP-activated protein kinase beta subunit tethers alpha and gamma subunits via its C-terminal sequence (186-270). J Biol Chem. 2005;280:13395-400 pubmed..The conserved C-terminal 85-residue sequence of the beta subunit (90% between beta1 and beta2) is the primary alphagamma binding sequence responsible for the formation of the AMPK alphabetagamma heterotrimer. ..
- Heather L, Cole M, Atherton H, Coumans W, Evans R, Tyler D, et al. Adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase activation, substrate transporter translocation, and metabolism in the contracting hyperthyroid rat heart. Endocrinology. 2010;151:422-31 pubmed publisher..The combined effects of T(3)-induced AMPK activation and insulin stimulation were associated with increased sarcolemmal GLUT4 localization and glycolytic flux in the hyperthyroid heart. ..
- Boutchueng Djidjou M, Collard Simard G, Fortier S, HÃ©bert S, Kelly I, Landry C, et al. The last enzyme of the de novo purine synthesis pathway 5-aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide ribonucleotide formyltransferase/IMP cyclohydrolase (ATIC) plays a central role in insulin signaling and the Golgi/endosomes protein network. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2015;14:1079-92 pubmed publisher..These results suggest the presence of a signaling mechanism that senses adenylate synthesis, ATP levels, and IR activation states and that acts in regulating IR autophosphorylation and endocytosis. ..
- Sample V, Ramamurthy S, Gorshkov K, Ronnett G, Zhang J. Polarized activities of AMPK and BRSK in primary hippocampal neurons. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:1935-46 pubmed publisher..Our study shows that the activities of both AMPK and BRSK are polarized in developing hippocampal neurons, with high levels in the distal region of extended axons. ..
- Gusarova G, Trejo H, Dada L, Briva A, Welch L, Hamanaka R, et al. Hypoxia leads to Na,K-ATPase downregulation via Ca(2+) release-activated Ca(2+) channels and AMPK activation. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:3546-56 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that during hypoxia, calcium entry via CRAC channels leads to AMPK activation, Na,K-ATPase downregulation, and alveolar epithelial dysfunction. ..
- Stapleton D, Gao G, Michell B, Widmer J, Mitchelhill K, Teh T, et al. Mammalian 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase non-catalytic subunits are homologs of proteins that interact with yeast Snf1 protein kinase. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:29343-6 pubmed
- Fryer L, Foufelle F, Barnes K, Baldwin S, Woods A, Carling D. Characterization of the role of the AMP-activated protein kinase in the stimulation of glucose transport in skeletal muscle cells. Biochem J. 2002;363:167-74 pubmed..Our results add further support to the hypothesis that long-term activation of AMPK is involved in the adaptive response of muscle to exercise training. ..
- Pung Y, Sam W, Stevanov K, Enrick M, Chen C, Kolz C, et al. Mitochondrial oxidative stress corrupts coronary collateral growth by activating adenosine monophosphate activated kinase-? signaling. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2013;33:1911-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that activation of AMPK-? during mitochondrial oxidative stress inhibits mammalian target of rapamycin signaling, which impairs phenotypic switching necessary for the growth of blood vessels. ..
- Cammisotto P, Bendayan M. Adiponectin stimulates phosphorylation of AMP-activated protein kinase alpha in renal glomeruli. J Mol Histol. 2008;39:579-84 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that glomerular cells express a functional adiponectin receptor ADIPOR1 which, through activation of AMPK, may play important roles in the control of oxidative stress and cell survival within the glomerulus. ..
- Chang M, Ho F, Wang J, Kang H, Chang Y, Ye Z, et al. AICAR induces cyclooxygenase-2 expression through AMP-activated protein kinase-transforming growth factor-beta-activated kinase 1-p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling pathway. Biochem Pharmacol. 2010;80:1210-20 pubmed publisher..Via a downstream p38 MAPK signaling cascade, AMPK-dependent TAK1 activation leads to the expression of the inflammatory COX-2 gene in various cell types. ..
- Koh H, Hirshman M, He H, Li Y, Manabe Y, Balschi J, et al. Adrenaline is a critical mediator of acute exercise-induced AMP-activated protein kinase activation in adipocytes. Biochem J. 2007;403:473-81 pubmed..We show that a single bout of exercise increases AMPKalpha1 and alpha2 activities and ACC (acetyl-CoA carboxylase) Ser79 phosphorylation in rat adipocytes...
- Passariello C, Gottardi D, Cetrullo S, Zini M, Campana G, Tantini B, et al. Evidence that AMP-activated protein kinase can negatively modulate ornithine decarboxylase activity in cardiac myoblasts. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1823:800-7 pubmed publisher..The modulation of ODC activity by AMPK represents a mechanism that may contribute to control cell growth processes. ..
- Nath N, Khan M, Rattan R, Mangalam A, Makkar R, de Meester C, et al. Loss of AMPK exacerbates experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis disease severity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;386:16-20 pubmed publisher..b>AMPKalpha1 is predominantly expressed in T cells and antigen presenting cells (APCs), which are primarily involved in EAE ..
- Chen L, Zhao L, Samanta A, Mahmoudi S, Buehler T, Cantilena A, et al. STAT3 balances myocyte hypertrophy vis-à-vis autophagy in response to Angiotensin II by modulating the AMPK?/mTOR axis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179835 pubmed publisher..These findings may have significant relevance for various cardiovascular pathological processes mediated by Ang II signaling. ..
- Lindholm C, Ertel R, Bauwens J, Schmuck E, Mulligan J, Saupe K. A high-fat diet decreases AMPK activity in multiple tissues in the absence of hyperglycemia or systemic inflammation in rats. J Physiol Biochem. 2013;69:165-75 pubmed publisher..Given the central position AMPK plays in whole-body energy balance, this decreased AMPK activity may play a previously unrecognized role in obesity and its associated pathologies. ..
- Bungard D, Fuerth B, Zeng P, Faubert B, Maas N, Viollet B, et al. Signaling kinase AMPK activates stress-promoted transcription via histone H2B phosphorylation. Science. 2010;329:1201-5 pubmed publisher..Our results place AMPK-dependent H2B Ser36 phosphorylation in a direct transcriptional and chromatin regulatory pathway leading to cellular adaptation to stress. ..
- Cammisotto P, Londono I, Gingras D, Bendayan M. Control of glycogen synthase through ADIPOR1-AMPK pathway in renal distal tubules of normal and diabetic rats. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2008;294:F881-9 pubmed publisher..During hyperglycemia, this regulation is altered, which may explain, at least in part, the accumulation of large glycogen deposits. ..
- Fukuyama Y, Ohta K, Okoshi R, Kizaki H, Nakagawa K. Hydrogen peroxide induces expression and activation of AMP-activated protein kinase in a dental pulp cell line. Int Endod J. 2008;41:197-203 pubmed..The effect of silencing AMPKalpha1 on cell viability was determined using siRNA...
- Carling D, Aguan K, Woods A, Verhoeven A, Beri R, Brennan C, et al. Mammalian AMP-activated protein kinase is homologous to yeast and plant protein kinases involved in the regulation of carbon metabolism. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:11442-8 pubmed..Our results suggest that AMPK may be involved in the regulation of a wide range of metabolic pathways. ..
- Li J, Coven D, Miller E, Hu X, Young M, Carling D, et al. Activation of AMPK alpha- and gamma-isoform complexes in the intact ischemic rat heart. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2006;291:H1927-34 pubmed..Despite the pathophysiological importance of gamma(2)-isoform mutations, gamma(1)-isoform complexes account for most of the AMPK activity in the ischemic heart. ..
- Gao G, Widmer J, Stapleton D, Teh T, Cox T, Kemp B, et al. Catalytic subunits of the porcine and rat 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase are members of the SNF1 protein kinase family. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1995;1266:73-82 pubmed
- Slattery M, Herrick J, Lundgreen A, Fitzpatrick F, Curtin K, Wolff R. Genetic variation in a metabolic signaling pathway and colon and rectal cancer risk: mTOR, PTEN, STK11, RPKAA1, PRKAG2, TSC1, TSC2, PI3K and Akt1. Carcinogenesis. 2010;31:1604-11 pubmed publisher..9 tagSNPs), FRAP1 (mTOR) (4 tagSNPs), TSC1 (14 tagSNPs), TSC2 (8 tagSNPs), Akt1 (2 tagSNPs), PIK3CA (7 tagSNPs), PRKAA1 (13 tagSNPs) and PRKAG2 (68 tagSNPs) in two population-based case-control studies of colon (n = 1574 cases, 1940 ..
- Jing M, Ismail Beigi F. Critical role of 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase in the stimulation of glucose transport in response to inhibition of oxidative phosphorylation. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2007;292:C477-87 pubmed..However, LKB1 was associated with total p-AMPKalpha. We conclude that activation of AMPK plays both a sufficient and a necessary role in the stimulation of glucose transport in response to inhibition of oxidative phosphorylation. ..
- Gwinn D, Shackelford D, Egan D, Mihaylova M, Mery A, Vasquez D, et al. AMPK phosphorylation of raptor mediates a metabolic checkpoint. Mol Cell. 2008;30:214-26 pubmed publisher..These findings uncover a conserved effector of AMPK that mediates its role as a metabolic checkpoint coordinating cell growth with energy status. ..
- Kim H, Cha H, Kim H. CCL5 upregulates activation of AMP-activated protein kinases in vascular smooth muscle cells of spontaneously hypertensive rats. Cytokine. 2014;67:77-84 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that activation of AMPK by CCL5 potentially expands the anti-hypertensive role of CCL5 in SHR VSMCs. ..
- Shi C, Wu J, Fu M, Zhang B, Wang J, Yang X, et al. Ambra1 modulates starvation-induced autophagy through AMPK signaling pathway in cardiomyocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014;452:308-14 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, Ambra1 is a crucial regulator of autophagy and apoptosis through AMPK signaling pathway in cardiomyocytes that maintains the balance between autophagy and apoptosis. ..
- Hardie D. The AMP-activated protein kinase pathway--new players upstream and downstream. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:5479-87 pubmed
- Creighton J, Jian M, SAYNER S, Alexeyev M, Insel P. Adenosine monophosphate-activated kinase alpha1 promotes endothelial barrier repair. FASEB J. 2011;25:3356-65 pubmed publisher..Our findings thus provide novel evidence for AMPK?1 in Ca(2+) influx-mediated signaling and wound repair in the endothelium. ..
- Kim J, Kundu M, Viollet B, Guan K. AMPK and mTOR regulate autophagy through direct phosphorylation of Ulk1. Nat Cell Biol. 2011;13:132-41 pubmed publisher..This coordinated phosphorylation is important for Ulk1 in autophagy induction. Our study has revealed a signalling mechanism for Ulk1 regulation and autophagy induction in response to nutrient signalling. ..
- Han L, Yu Y, Sun X, Wang B. Exendin-4 directly improves endothelial dysfunction in isolated aortas from obese rats through the cAMP or AMPK-eNOS pathways. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2012;97:453-60 pubmed publisher..The beneficial effect of exendin-4 appears to be mediated in part via stimulation of cAMP/AMPK-related signalling pathways and enhancement of endothelial nitric oxide synthase activity. ..
- Chen S, Zhuang X, Liu Y, Sun A, Chen C. Expression and significance of lipin1 and AMPK? in hepatic insulin resistance in diet-induced insulin resistance rats. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2012;120:84-8 pubmed publisher..These findings indicated that the decrease in lipin1 expression and AMPK? activation may contribute to hepatic insulin resistance in diet-induced obese rats. ..
- Zheng Z, Chen H, Li J, Li T, Zheng B, Zheng Y, et al. Sirtuin 1-mediated cellular metabolic memory of high glucose via the LKB1/AMPK/ROS pathway and therapeutic effects of metformin. Diabetes. 2012;61:217-28 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that SIRT1 is a potential therapeutic target for the treatment of the cellular metabolic memory, and the use of metformin specifically for such therapy may be a new avenue of investigation in the diabetes field. ..
- Lakshmanan A, Watanabe K, Thandavarayan R, Sari F, Meilei H, Soetikno V, et al. Curcumin attenuates hyperglycaemia-mediated AMPK activation and oxidative stress in cerebrum of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat. Free Radic Res. 2011;45:788-95 pubmed publisher..These results provide a new insight into the beneficial effects of curcumin on hyperglycaemia-mediated DE, which are produced through the down-regulation of AMPK-mediated gluconeogenesis associated with its anti-oxidant property. ..
- Dong D, Cai G, Ning Y, Wang J, Lv Y, Hong Q, et al. Alleviation of senescence and epithelial-mesenchymal transition in aging kidney by short-term caloric restriction and caloric restriction mimetics via modulation of AMPK/mTOR signaling. Oncotarget. 2017;8:16109-16121 pubmed publisher..Short-term regimens of CR and CRMs alleviated age-related EMT via AMPK-mTOR signaling, suggesting a potential approach to reducing renal fibrosis during aging. ..
- Benziane B, Björnholm M, Pirkmajer S, Austin R, Kotova O, Viollet B, et al. Activation of AMP-activated protein kinase stimulates Na+,K+-ATPase activity in skeletal muscle cells. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:23451-63 pubmed publisher..This activation may be a potential mechanism by which exercise and metabolic stress activate the sodium pump in skeletal muscle. ..
- Yuasa T, Uchiyama K, Ogura Y, Kimura M, Teshigawara K, Hosaka T, et al. The Rab GTPase-activating protein AS160 as a common regulator of insulin- and Galphaq-mediated intracellular GLUT4 vesicle distribution. Endocr J. 2009;56:345-59 pubmed..The suppression of AS160 phosphorylation by the siRNA mediated AMPKalpha1 subunit knockdown promoted GLUT4 vesicle retention in intracellular compartments...