Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: PKC
Description: protein kinase C, alpha
Alias: Pkca, protein kinase C alpha type, PKC-A, PKC-alpha
Publications148 found, 100 shown here
- Arginine uptake is attenuated, through post-translational regulation of cationic amino acid transporter-1, in hyperlipidemic ratsIdit F Schwartz
Department of Nephrology, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv University, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv, Israel
Atherosclerosis 194:357-63. 2007..We studied aortic arginine uptake, CAT-1 and CAT-2 mRNA expression, and CAT-1, and PKC alpha protein in: (a) control, untreated animals (CTL), (b) rats fed with 4% cholesterol+1% cholate and 2% corn oil ..
- Regulation of insulin receptor substrate 1 pleckstrin homology domain by protein kinase C: role of serine 24 phosphorylationRanmali Nawaratne
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke s Hospital, UK
Mol Endocrinol 20:1838-52. 2006..Bioinformatic tools identify serine 24 (Ser24) as a putative substrate site for the protein kinase C (PKC) family of serine kinases. We demonstrate that this site is indeed a bona fide substrate for conventional PKC...
- Glucagon-like peptide 1 activates protein kinase C through Ca2+-dependent activation of phospholipase C in insulin-secreting cellsYuko Suzuki
Department of Physiology, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, 1 20 1 Handayama, Hamamatsu 431 3192, Japan
J Biol Chem 281:28499-507. 2006..We recently discovered that Ca(2+) influx alone can activate conventional protein kinase C (PKC) as well as novel PKC in insulin-secreting (INS-1) cells...
- PKC-alpha and TAK-1 are intermediates in the activation of c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase by hypoxia-reoxygenationDonna P Frazier
Department of Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, Vascular Biology Institute, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 292:H1675-84. 2007..Here we present evidence that protein kinase C (PKC) and transforming growth factor-beta-activated kinase-1 (TAK-1) are also components of this pathway...
- The molecular heterogeneity of protein kinase C and its implications for cellular regulationY Nishizuka
Department of Biochemistry, Kobe University School of Medicine, Japan
Nature 334:661-5. 1988....
- Phosphorylation of connexin43 on serine368 by protein kinase C regulates gap junctional communicationP D Lampe
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
J Cell Biol 149:1503-12. 2000Phorbol esters (e.g., TPA) activate protein kinase C (PKC), increase connexin43 (Cx43) phosphorylation, and decrease cell-cell communication via gap junctions in many cell types...
- Antigen-stimulated activation of phospholipase D1b by Rac1, ARF6, and PKCalpha in RBL-2H3 cellsDale J Powner
Institute for Cancer Studies, Birmingham University, Birmingham, B15 2TA, United Kingdom
Mol Biol Cell 13:1252-62. 2002..is phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate dependent via an N-terminal PH domain and is stimulated by Rho, ARF, and PKC family proteins, combinations of which cooperatively increase this activity...
- Ursodeoxycholate and tauroursodeoxycholate inhibit cholangiocyte growth and secretion of BDL rats through activation of PKC alphaGianfranco Alpini
Department of Internal Medicine, Scott and White Hospital and The Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, College of Medicine and Central Texas Veterans Health Care System, Temple, TX 76504, USA
Hepatology 35:1041-52. 2002..In vitro UDCA and TUDCA inhibition of cholangiocyte growth and secretion required increased [Ca(2+)](i) and PKC alpha. In conclusion, activation of Ca(2+)-dependent PKC alpha is required for UDCA and TUDCA inhibition of ..
- Additional binding sites for anionic phospholipids and calcium ions in the crystal structures of complexes of the C2 domain of protein kinase calphaWendy F Ochoa
Instituto de Biologia Molecular de Barcelona CSIC, Jordi Girona Salgado 18 26, E 08034 Barcelona, Spain
J Mol Biol 320:277-91. 2002..Implications for PKCalpha activity of these structural results, in particular at the level of the binding affinity of the C2 domain to membranes, are discussed...
- Insulin inhibits secretin-induced ductal secretion by activation of PKC alpha and inhibition of PKA activityGene D Lesage
Department of Internal Medicine, Scott and White Hospital and The Texas A and M University System HSC COM, Temple, TX, USA
Hepatology 36:641-51. 2002..We evaluated (1) if insulin effects are associated with activation of PKC alpha and (2) if activation of PKC causes inhibition of secretin-stimulated cAMP levels and PKA activity...
- A new phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate-binding site located in the C2 domain of protein kinase CalphaSenena Corbalan-Garcia
Department de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular A, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Murcia, Apdo 4021, E 30100 Murcia, Spain
J Biol Chem 278:4972-80. 2003..The results obtained in this work point to a sequential activation model, in which protein kinase Calpha needs Ca(2+) before the PtdIns(4,5)P(2)-dependent activation of the enzyme can occur...
- Role of the Ca2+/phosphatidylserine binding region of the C2 domain in the translocation of protein kinase Calpha to the plasma membraneStephen R Bolsover
Department of Physiology, University College London, Gower St, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 278:10282-90. 2003Signal transduction via protein kinase C (PKC) is closely regulated by its subcellular localization...
- The ATP-dependent membrane localization of protein kinase Calpha is regulated by Ca2+ influx and phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate in differentiated PC12 cellsConsuelo Marín-Vicente
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular A, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Murcia, E 30100 Murcia, Spain
Mol Biol Cell 16:2848-61. 2005....
- Evidence that protein kinase Calpha interacts with and regulates the glial glutamate transporter GLT-1Marco I Gonzalez
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4318, USA
J Neurochem 94:1180-8. 2005..of the sodium-dependent neurotransmitter transporters are rapidly (within minutes) regulated by protein kinase C (PKC), with changes in activity being correlated with changes in transporter trafficking to or from the plasma membrane...
- The PtdIns(4,5)P2 ligand itself influences the localization of PKCalpha in the plasma membrane of intact living cellsConsuelo Marín-Vicente
Dpto de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular A, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Murcia, Apdo 4021, E 30100 Murcia, Spain
J Mol Biol 377:1038-52. 2008..In this work, we studied the effect of modulation of the PtdIns(4,5)P2 concentration on protein kinase C (PKC) alpha membrane localization in intact living cells...
- Protein kinase Calpha early activates splicing factor SC-35 during post-natal rat heart developmentS Zara
Dipartimento Biomorfologia, Facolta di Farmacia, Universita G D Annunzio, Chieti Pescara, Italy
J Biol Regul Homeost Agents 23:45-54. 2009..Since the presence of Protein Kinase C (PKC) inside the nucleus could allow the enzyme to phosphorylate also proteins located on chromatin, on nuclear matrix ..
- Glutathione depletion induces apoptosis of rat hepatocytes through activation of protein kinase C novel isoforms and dependent increase in AP-1 nuclear bindingC Domenicotti
Department of Experimental Medicine, General Pathology Section, University of Genova, Genova, Italy
Free Radic Biol Med 29:1280-90. 2000..damage consequent to a pathophysiologic level of GSH depletion, the effects of this condition on protein kinase C (PKC) isoforms were investigated, since these are involved in the intracellular specific regulatory processes and are ..
- Alteration of protein kinase C isoforms in the liver of septic ratChin Hsu
Department of Physiology, Kaohsiung Medical University, Taiwan, ROC
Shock 17:41-6. 2002The present study investigated the alteration of protein kinase C (PKC) isoforms in rat liver during the progression of sepsis...
- Direct binding of syndecan-4 cytoplasmic domain to the catalytic domain of protein kinase C alpha (PKC alpha) increases focal adhesion localization of PKC alphaSsang Taek Lim
Department of Cell Biology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294, USA
J Biol Chem 278:13795-802. 2003..4V; LGKKPIYKK) binds phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate, and together they regulate protein kinase C alpha (PKC alpha) activity...
- [Different roles of the spinal protein kinase C alpha and gamma in morphine dependence and naloxone-precipitated withdrawal]Jun Li Cao
Department of Anesthesiology, Affiliated Hospital of First Clinical College, China Medical University, Shenyang 110001, China
Sheng Li Xue Bao 57:161-8. 2005..analysis and Western blot was used to detect the expression of cytosol and membrane fraction of PKC alpha and gamma in the rat spinal cord...
- Nuclear localization of protein kinase C-alpha induces thyroid hormone receptor-alpha1 expression in the cardiomyocyteAgnes Kenessey
Institute for Medical Research, North Shore LIJ Health System, 350 Community Dr, Manhasset, NY 11030, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 290:H381-9. 2006..rat ventricular myocytes were transduced with adenovirus (Ad) expressing wild-type (wt) or kinase-inactive (dn) PKC alpha or constitutively active (ca) PKC delta and PKC epsilon...
- Role of cAMP-response element-binding protein phosphorylation in hepatic apoptosis under protein kinase C alpha suppression during sepsisYa Ching Hsieh
Department of Physiology, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, 807 Taiwan
Shock 24:357-63. 2005Previous studies have shown that a decrease in protein kinase C (PKC) alpha levels contributes to hepatic failure and/or apoptosis during sepsis, and suppression of PKCalpha plays a critical role in triggering caspase-dependent apoptosis,..
- PKC alpha-dependent regulation of the IGF1 receptor in adult and embryonic rat cardiomyocytesRuchita Maniar
Department of Pathology, Anatomy and Cell Biology, Thomas Jefferson University, 1020 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Mol Cell Biochem 275:15-24. 2005..resulted in activation of the IGF1 receptor's internal tyrosine kinase, and this was completely blocked by the PKC alpha inhibitor, Gö6976...
- Influence of PKC-alpha overexpression on HSP70 and cardioprotectionSonya D Coaxum
Cardiovascular Institute, Loyola University Medical Center, 2160 S First Avenue, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 292:H2220-6. 2007Recent research has indicated that the protein kinase C (PKC) isoforms and the heat shock proteins (HSPs) are involved in cardioprotection. We have investigated the possible interaction between these two protein families...
- Protein Kinase C- alpha/betaII, delta, and zeta/lambda involvement in ethanol-induced MAPK expression in vascular smooth muscle cellsA L Johnson
Department of Biological Sciences, Tennessee State University, Nashville, TN 37209, USA
Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand) 53:38-44. 2007Protein Kinase C (PKC) exists as one of twelve serine/threonine isoforms and has been found to mediate ethanol-induced activation of the Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinase (MAPK) pathway...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2: structure, function, intracellular signalling and therapeutic inhibitionKatherine Holmes
North West Cancer Research Fund Institute, School of Biological Sciences, College of Natural Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor, UK
Cell Signal 19:2003-12. 2007..Furthermore, therapeutic inhibition of VEGFR-2 action is now having an impact in the clinic for the treatment of a number of diseases...
- Myocardial Hsp70 phosphorylation and PKC-mediated cardioprotection following exerciseC W James Melling
School of Kinesiology, Faculty of Health Sciences, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Cell Stress Chaperones 14:141-50. 2009Both protein kinase C (PKC) activation and Hsp70 expression have been shown to be key components for exercise-mediated myocardial protection during ischemia-reperfusion injury...
- Down-regulating protein kinase C alpha: functional cooperation between the proteasome and the endocytic systemSemyon Melnikov
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, 69978, Israel
Cell Signal 21:1607-19. 2009Ubiquitination, proteasome, caveolae and endosomes have been implicated in controlling protein kinase C alpha (PKC alpha) down-regulation. However, the molecular mechanism remained obscure...
- cAMP stimulates apical exocytosis of the renal Na(+)-K(+)-2Cl(-) cotransporter NKCC2 in the thick ascending limb: role of protein kinase APaulo S Caceres
Hypertension and Vascular Research Division, Henry Ford Hospital, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
J Biol Chem 284:24965-71. 2009..We conclude that cAMP stimulates steady-state apical surface NKCC2 by stimulating exocytic insertion and that this process is highly dependent on PKA but not Epac...
- Cigarette smoke extract induced rat pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells proliferation via PKCα-mediated cyclin D1 expressionDa Xiong Zeng
Key Laboratory of Pulmonary Diseases of Ministry of Health, Department of Respiratory Medicine, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, PR China
J Cell Biochem 112:2082-8. 2011..Although our previous study had implied the involvement of protein kinase Cα (PKCα), the molecular mechanism underlying PKCα pathway in this process is still unknown...
- Protein kinase C depresses cardiac myocyte power output and attenuates myofilament responses induced by protein kinase AAaron C Hinken
Department of Physiology and Biophysics and Center for Cardiovascular Research, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
J Muscle Res Cell Motil 33:439-48. 2012Following activation by G-protein-coupled receptor agonists, protein kinase C (PKC) modulates cardiac myocyte function by phosphorylation of intracellular targets including myofilament proteins cardiac troponin I (cTnI) and cardiac ..
- Agonist-induced down-regulation of endogenous protein kinase c α through an endolysosomal mechanismMichelle A Lum
The Eppley Institute, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska 68198 5950, USA
J Biol Chem 288:13093-109. 2013Protein kinase C (PKC) isozymes undergo down-regulation upon sustained stimulation. Previous studies have pointed to the existence of both proteasome-dependent and -independent pathways of PKCα processing...
- Phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate decreases the concentration of Ca2+, phosphatidylserine and diacylglycerol required for protein kinase C α to reach maximum activityAntonio L Egea-Jiménez
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular A, Facultad de Veterinaria, Regional Campus of International Excellence Campus Mare Nostrum, Universidad de Murcia, Murcia, Spain
PLoS ONE 8:e69041. 2013The C2 domain of PKCα possesses two different binding sites, one for Ca(2+) and phosphatidylserine and a second one that binds PIP2 with very high affinity...
- Role of PKCα activation of Src, PI-3K/AKT, and ERK in EGF-stimulated proliferation of rat and human conjunctival goblet cellsDayu Li
Schepens Eye Research Institute Massachusetts Eye and Ear, Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 54:5661-74. 2013..To determine the order and components of the signaling pathway utilized by epidermal growth factor (EGF) to stimulate conjunctival goblet cell proliferation...
- Caveolin-1--a novel interacting partner of organic cation/carnitine transporter (Octn2): effect of protein kinase C on this interaction in rat astrocytesMagdalena Czeredys
Department of Molecular and Cellular Neurobiology, Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology, Warsaw, Poland
PLoS ONE 8:e82105. 2013..Octn2 regulation by protein kinase C (PKC) was studied in rat astrocytes--cells in which β-oxidation takes place in the brain...
- Nrf2-regulated antioxidant response is activated by protein kinase C in postconditioned rat heartsMabel Buelna-Chontal
Department of Cardiovascular Biomedicine, National Institute of Cardiology I Ch, Mexico City 14080, DF, Mexico
Free Radic Biol Med 74:145-56. 2014..To unravel such association, in this work we focus on the participation of protein kinase C (PKC) and the transcription factor nuclear factor E2-related factor 2 (Nrf2) in the cardioprotective response elicited ..
- Protein kinase C-mediated phosphorylation of RKIP regulates inhibition of Na-alanine cotransport by leukotriene D(4) in intestinal epithelial cellsSubha Arthur
Department of Clinical and Translational Sciences, Joan C Edwards School of Medicine, Marshall University, Huntington, West Virginia
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 307:C1010-6. 2014..the present study, pretreatment with calcium chelator BAPTA-AM or inhibition of Ca(++)-dependent protein kinase C (PKC), specifically PKCα, resulted in the reversal of LTD4-mediated inhibition of ASCT1, revealing the involvement of ..
- Protein kinase Cα inhibits myocardin-induced cardiomyocyte hypertrophy through the promotion of myocardin phosphorylationWeizong Li
Key Laboratory of Industrial Microbiology, Ministry of Education and Tianjin City, College of Biotechnology, Tianjin University of Science and Technology, Tianjin 300457, China
Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai) 47:687-95. 2015..The expression of protein kinase Cα (PKCα) also induces cardiac hypertrophy...
- Orexin-A promotes Glu uptake by OX1R/PKCα/ERK1/2/GLT-1 pathway in astrocytes and protects co-cultured astrocytes and neurons against apoptosis in anoxia/hypoglycemic injury in vitroQing Shu
Department of Pharmacy, Ninth Hospital of Xi an, No 151 South Second Ring Road East, Xi an, 710054, Shaanxi, China
Mol Cell Biochem 425:103-112. 2017..Orexin-A significantly up-regulated the expressions of PKCα and ERK1/2 under anoxia/hypoglycemic conditions in astrocytes, whereas the OX1R antagonist markedly reversed the ..
- Melatonin regulates L-arginine transport and NADPH oxidase in young rats with bile duct ligation: role of protein kinase CYou Lin Tain
Department of Pediatrics, Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Pediatr Res 73:395-401. 2013..We hypothesized that protein kinase C-α (PKC-α) is involved in the increases of L-arginine in melatonin-treated BDL rats...
- Role of two conserved cytoplasmic threonine residues (T410 and T412) in CD5 signalingJ M Vila
Servei d Immunologia, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
J Immunol 166:396-402. 2001..These results strongly argue in favor of a role for T410 and T412 in the signaling mediated by CD5...
- Protein kinase C alpha expression is inversely related to ER status in endometrial carcinoma: possible role in AP-1-mediated proliferation of ER-negative endometrial cancerD B Fournier
Robert H Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Gynecol Oncol 81:366-72. 2001..We hypothesize that alterations of the PKC isozyme profile of endometrial carcinomas are similar to that of hormone-independent breast cancer and determine ..
- Modulation of synaptic plasticity by antimanic agents: the role of AMPA glutamate receptor subunit 1 synaptic expressionJing Du
Laboratory of Molecular Pathophysiology, Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Neurosci 24:6578-89. 2004....
- Minocycline down-regulates MHC II expression in microglia and macrophages through inhibition of IRF-1 and protein kinase C (PKC)alpha/betaIIMaria Nikodemova
Department of Medical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Biol Chem 282:15208-16. 2007..Further experiments revealed that MHC II expression is down-regulated in the presence of the PKC(alpha) inhibitor Gö6976...
- [Effects of free fatty acids on insulin signaling proteins in rat islet cells]Qi Yu Guo
Departmnent of Endocrinology, Navy General Hospital, Beijing 100037, China
Zhongguo Ying Yong Sheng Li Xue Za Zhi 18:283-6. 2002..To investigate whether free fatty acid impair insulin signaling proteins to inhibit insulin action in rat islet cells...
- pPKCα mediated-HIF-1α activation related to the morphological modifications occurring in neonatal myocardial tissue in response to severe and mild hyperoxiaS Zara
Section of Human Anatomy, Faculty of Pharmacy, University G D Annunzio Chieti Pescara, Via dei Vestini 31, 66100 Chieti, Italy
Eur J Histochem 56:e2. 2012..Upstream pPKC-α expression increase in newborn rats exposed to 95% oxygen can suggest PKC involvement in HIF-1α activation...
- PKCα is required for inflammation-induced trafficking of extrasynaptic AMPA receptors in tonically firing lamina II dorsal horn neurons during the maintenance of persistent inflammatory painOlga Kopach
State Key Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology, Kiev, Ukraine
J Pain 14:182-92. 2013..that internalization of synaptic GluR2-containing AMPARs requires activation of spinal cord protein kinase C alpha (PKCα), but molecular mechanisms that underlie altered trafficking of extrasynaptic AMPARs are unclear...
- The common structure and activities of four subspecies of rat brain protein kinase C familyU Kikkawa
Department of Biochemistry, Kobe University School of Medicine, Japan
FEBS Lett 223:212-6. 1987..gamma-Subspecies is expressed after birth apparently only in the central nervous tissue, implying its role in the regulation of specific neuronal functions...
- Invasive human pituitary tumors express a point-mutated alpha-protein kinase-CV Alvaro
Centre CNRS INSERM de Pharmacologie et d Endocrinologie, Montpellier, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 77:1125-9. 1993..6-fold), suggesting a dysfunction in PKC in these tumors. Here, we show that the PKC alpha-isoform (alpha PKC) is overexpressed in human pituitary tumors...
- Molecular cloning and characterization of a novel protein kinase C-interacting protein with structural motifs related to RBCC family proteinsC Tokunaga
Biosignal Research Center, Faculty of Science, Kobe University, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 244:353-9. 1998A novel protein kinase C (PKC)-interacting protein was identified by the yeast two-hybrid screening using the regulatory domain of PKC beta I as a bait...
- Phase I study of an antisense oligonucleotide to protein kinase C-alpha (ISIS 3521/CGP 64128A) in patients with cancerA R Yuen
Oncology Division, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305, USA
Clin Cancer Res 5:3357-63. 1999Protein kinase C (PKC) is an attractive target in cancer therapy. It is overexpressed in a variety of cancers, and nonspecific inhibitors of PKC have demonstrated antitumor activity...
- PICK1 interacts with and regulates PKC phosphorylation of mGLUR7K K Dev
Department of Biological Sciences, Kyoto University, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto, 606 8501, Japan
J Neurosci 20:7252-7. 2000..been shown to bind protein kinase C alpha-subunit (PKCalpha), and mGluR7a is known to be phosphorylated by PKC. We show a relationship between these three proteins using recombinant PICK1, mGluR7, and PKCalpha, where they were ..
- Possible involvement of PKC isoforms in signalling placental apoptosis in intrauterine growth retardationM C Sugden
Department of Diabetes and Metabolic Medicine, Division of General and Developmental Medicine, St Bartholomew s and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary, University of London, London E1 4NS, UK
Mol Cell Endocrinol 185:119-26. 2001..Specific protein kinase C (PKC) isoforms regulate apoptosis in other cell types...
- Protein kinase C (PKC) delta regulates PKCalpha activity in a Syndecan-4-dependent mannerMasahiro Murakami
Angiogenesis Research Center and Section of Cardiology, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, New Hampshire 03756, USA
J Biol Chem 277:20367-71. 2002..4,5-bisphosphate (PIP(2)), the capacity of the tail to multimerize, and its ability to activate protein kinase C (PKC) alpha...
- Protein kinase C-alpha and protein kinase C-epsilon are required for Grb2-associated binder-1 tyrosine phosphorylation in response to platelet-derived growth factorYuji Saito
Center for Cardiovascular Research, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Biol Chem 277:23216-22. 2002..Studies using antisense protein kinase C (PKC) oligonucleotides and specific inhibitors showed that PKCalpha and PKCepsilon are required for Gab1 tyrosine ..
- Decreased cholinergic stimulation of insulin secretion by islets from rats fed a low protein diet is associated with reduced protein kinase calpha expressionFabiano Ferreira
Departamento de Fisiologia e Biofisica, Instituto de Biologia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas UNICAMP, SP, Brasil
J Nutr 133:695-9. 2003..In conclusion, a reduced expression of PKCalpha and PLCbeta(1) may be involved in the decreased insulin secretion by islets from LP rats after stimulation with CCh and PMA...
- Alterations in protein kinase C isoenzyme expression and autophosphorylation during the progression of pressure overload-induced left ventricular hypertrophyAllison L Bayer
The Cardiovascular Institute and Department of Physiology, Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Mol Cell Biochem 242:145-52. 2003Cardiomyocytes express several isoenzymes of protein kinase C (PKC), which as a group have been implicated in the induction of left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH) and its transition to heart failure...
- PKC alpha mediates maternal touch regulation of growth-related gene expression in infant ratsSaul M Schanberg
Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 28:1026-30. 2003..Also, it could provide a basis for developing therapeutic interventions to maximize growth potential in children failing-to-thrive despite normal maternal care...
- Protein kinase C isoform expression in ovarian carcinoma correlates with indicators of poor prognosisWilko Weichert
Institute of Pathology, Charite Hospital, Schumannstrasse 20 21, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Int J Oncol 23:633-9. 2003..The findings of this study, together with data from functional studies by other groups suggest that alteration of PKC isoform expression may be involved in progression of ovarian carcinomas.
- Human glycated albumin affects glucose metabolism in L6 skeletal muscle cells by impairing insulin-induced insulin receptor substrate (IRS) signaling through a protein kinase C alpha-mediated mechanismClaudia Miele
Dipartimento di Biologia e Patologia Cellulare e Molecolare and Centro di Endocrinologia ed Oncologia Sperimentale del Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Universita di Napoli Federico II, Via S Pansini, 5, 80131 Naples, Italy
J Biol Chem 278:47376-87. 2003..The use of antibodies specific to PKC isoforms shows that this effect appears to be mediated by activated PKC alpha, independent of reactive oxygen species production...
- Protein kinase C alpha requirement in the activation of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase, which is linked to the induction of tumor necrosis factor alpha in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated microgliaKazuyuki Nakajima
Neurobiology Lab, Department of Bioinformatics, Faculty of Engineering, Soka University, 1 236 Tangi machi, Hachioji, Tokyo 192 8577, Japan
Neurochem Int 44:205-14. 2004..These results suggest that PKC alpha activity as well as p38MAPK activity is associated with TNF alpha induction in LPS-stimulated microglia...
- The essential role of PKCalpha in the protective effect of heat-shock pretreatment on TNFalpha-induced apoptosis in hepatic epithelial cell lineRei Cheng Yang
Department of Pediatrics, Chung Ho Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan
Exp Cell Res 296:276-84. 2004..that hepatic apoptosis during sepsis may be due to the failure to induce expression of Hsp72, which is activated by PKC-phosphorylated HSF...
- Protein kinase Calpha translocates to the perinuclear region to activate phospholipase D1Tianhui Hu
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37212, USA
J Biol Chem 279:35702-8. 2004The inhibition of phorbol ester activation of phospholipase D1 (PLD1) by protein kinase C (PKC) inhibitors has been considered proof of phosphorylation-dependent activation of PLD1 by PKCalpha...
- Depolarization of skeletal muscle cells induces phosphorylation of cAMP response element binding protein via calcium and protein kinase CalphaCesar Cardenas
Centro de Estudios Moleculares de la Célula, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Chile, Independencia 1027, Santiago 7, Chile
J Biol Chem 279:39122-31. 2004..Here we investigated whether such signals regulate CREB phosphorylation via protein kinase C (PKC)-dependent pathways...
- Protein kinase C-alpha-induced hypertrophy of neonatal rat ventricular myocytesKalpana Vijayan
Cardiovascular Institute, Loyola Univ Medical Center, Bldg 110, Rm 5232, 2160 S First Ave, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 287:H2777-89. 2004Protein kinase C (PKC) isoenzymes play a critical role in cardiomyocyte hypertrophy...
- Regulation of protein kinase C isozymes in volume overload cardiac hypertrophyMartin U Braun
Department of Cardiology, Medical Clinic II, University of Technology Dresden, Germany
Mol Cell Biochem 262:135-43. 2004Protein kinase C (PKC) is a family of at least 11 isozymes and known to play a crucial role in myocardial growth...
- Protein kinase C isozymes in hypertension and hypertrophy: insight from SHHF rat heartsDustin D Johnsen
Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of South Dakota and Sioux Valley Hospital and Health Systems, Sioux Falls, South Dakota 57105, USA
Mol Cell Biochem 270:63-9. 2005Chronic hypertension results in cardiac hypertrophy and may lead to congestive heart failure. The protein kinase C (PKC) family has been identified as a signaling component promoting cardiac hypertrophy...
- Prostaglandin E2 stimulates fibronectin expression through EP1 receptor, phospholipase C, protein kinase Calpha, and c-Src pathway in primary cultured rat osteoblastsChih Hsin Tang
Departments of Pharmacology and Orthopaedics, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Biol Chem 280:22907-16. 2005..Protein kinase C (PKC) inhibitor (GF109203X) also inhibited the potentiating action of PGE(2)...
- Role of protein kinase C-alpha in superficial bladder carcinoma recurrenceChuize Kong
Department of Urology, No 1 Hospital, China Medical University, Shenyang, People s Republic of China
Urology 65:1228-32. 2005..To investigate the role of protein kinase C-alpha (PKCalpha) in the recurrence of superficial bladder carcinoma...
- [The role of protein kinase C alpha in recurrence of superficial bladder carcinoma]Yu yan Zhu
Department of Urology, The First Affiliated Hospital, China Medical University, Shenyang 110001, China
Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi 43:662-6. 2005..To investigate the relationship of protein kinase C-alpha (PKCalpha) expression/activation with tumor differentiation and resistance to chemotherapy drugs in superficial bladder carcinoma...
- Retinoic acid as a modulator of the activity of protein kinase CalphaMaría José López-Andreo
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular A, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Murcia, Apartado de Correos 4021, E 30080 Murcia, Spain
Biochemistry 44:11353-60. 2005....
- Effects of blocking the renin-angiotensin system on expression and translocation of protein kinase C isoforms in the kidney of diabetic ratsLi Zhang
Department of Nephrology, First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, Jiangsu, China
Nephron Exp Nephrol 104:e103-11. 2006High glucose and angiotensin II (Ang II) can activate protein kinase C (PKC) in diabetes mellitus. However, it is not clear which isoform of PKC is activated by glucose or Ang II...
- Expression of protein kinase C isoforms in cardiac hypertrophy and heart failure due to volume overloadEmmanuelle Sentex
Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences, St Boniface General Hospital Research Centre and Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine University of Manitoba, 351 Tache Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R2H 2A6, Canada
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 84:227-38. 2006The present study determined whether changes in the activity and isoforms of protein kinase C (PKC) are associated with cardiac hypertrophy and heart failure owing to volume overload induced by aortocaval shunt (AVS) in rats...
- Involvement of PKCalpha in insulin-induced PKCdelta expression: Importance of SP-1 and NFkappaB transcription factorsMiriam Horovitz-Fried
The Faculty of Life Sciences, Department of Life Sciences, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan 52900, Israel
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 352:78-83. 2007..Inhibition of PKCdelta reduced IkappaBalpha phosphorylation as well as NFkappaB activation. Thus, PKCalpha regulates insulin-induced PKCdelta expression levels and this regulation involves activation of SP-1 and NFkappaB...
- Persistent activation of protein kinase Calpha is not necessary for expression of cerebellar long-term depressionS Tsuruno
Department of Biophysics, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Mol Cell Neurosci 35:38-48. 2007..The sequential activation model for classical PKC states that PKCalpha translocates to the plasma membrane by binding Ca(++) and then becomes fully activated by ..
- Expression of specific protein kinase C (PKC) isoforms and ligand-specific activation of PKCalpha in late gestation fetal lungDina Villanueva-García
Division of Neonatology, Hospital Infantil de Mexico Federico Gomez, Mexico City, Mexico
Exp Lung Res 33:185-96. 2007..The authors hypothesized that specific protein kinase C (PKC) isoforms are expressed and activated by epidermal growth factor (EGF) and transforming growth factor alpha (..
- Differential phosphorylation of NG2 proteoglycan by ERK and PKCalpha helps balance cell proliferation and migrationIrwan T Makagiansar
Cancer Center, The Burnham Institute for Medical Research, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Cell Biol 178:155-65. 2007..Thus, phosphorylation and the resulting site of NG2-integrin localization may determine the specific downstream effects of integrin signaling...
- Mitochondrial protein phosphatase 2A regulates cell death induced by simulated ischemia in kidney NRK-52E cellsChun Chui Tsao
Division of Cell Signaling, Brown Foundation Institute of Molecular Medicine for the Prevention of Human Diseases, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Cell Cycle 6:2377-85. 2007..Previous data have shown that PKC alpha negatively regulates B56 alpha protein expression...
- nPKCepsilon, a P2Y2-R downstream effector in regulated mucin secretion from airway goblet cellsCamille Ehre
CCystic Fibrosis Pulmonary Research and Treatment Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7248, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 293:C1445-54. 2007..acting through Gq/PLC, inositol-1,4,5-trisphosphate (IP(3)), diacylglycerol, Ca(2+) and protein kinase C (PKC)...
- In vitro evidence of the role of hemoglobin during vasospasm on the modifications of the expression of PKCalpha and zetaFlorence Lefranc
Department of Neurosurgery, Erasme University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Int J Mol Med 20:415-9. 2007..vasospasm after subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) are poorly understood, although the family of protein kinase C (PKC) is already known to play crucial roles in this pathology...
- Effect of phorbol ester and platelet-derived growth factor on protein kinase C in rat hepatic stellate cellsYoshimasa Kobayashi
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Saint Louis University Liver Center, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Liver Int 27:1066-75. 2007..This study investigated the expression and regulation of protein kinase C (PKC) in HSC.
- H2S preconditioning-induced PKC activation regulates intracellular calcium handling in rat cardiomyocytesTing Ting Pan
Cardiovascular Biology Research Group, Department of Pharmacology, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 294:C169-77. 2008The present study was aimed to investigate the regulatory effect of protein kinase C (PKC) on intracellular Ca(2+) handling in hydrogen sulfide (H(2)S)-preconditioned cardiomyocytes and its consequent effects on ischemia challenge...
- Signaling mechanisms of daidzein-induced axonal outgrowth in hippocampal neuronsPei Wang
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, No 1, Section 1, Jen Ai Road, Taipei 10051, Taiwan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 366:393-400. 2008..Taken together, our data suggest that Dz triggers an ERbeta/PKCalpha/GAP-43 signaling cascade to promote axonal outgrowths in cultured hippocampal neurons...
- Role of protein kinase C alpha and cyclin D1 in the proliferation of airway smooth muscle in asthmatic ratsLi Fen Qiao
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, Hubei 430030, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 121:2070-6. 2008..In this study, the central role of PKCalpha and cyclin D1 in ASM proliferation in asthmatic rats was explored...
- Protein kinase C-Fyn kinase cascade mediates the oleic acid-induced disassembly of neonatal rat cardiomyocyte adherens junctionsKwan Lih Hsu
Department of Internal Medicine, E Da Hospital, Department of Nursing, I Shou University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 41:1536-46. 2009..OA induced activation of protein kinase C(PKC)-alpha and -epsilon and Src family kinase, and all three kinases were involved in the oleic acid-induced ..
- Transient upregulation of protein kinase C in pressure-overloaded neonatal rat myocardiumB Hamplova
Charles University, Faculty of Science, Department of Cell Biology, Prague, Czech Republic
Physiol Res 59:25-33. 2010Protein kinase C (PKC) appears to play a significant role in the signal transduction of cardiac growth and development...
- Involvement of Cpi-17 and zipper-interacting protein kinase in the regulation of protein kinase C-alpha, protein kinase C-epsilon on vascular calcium sensitivity after hemorrhagic shockJing Xu
State Key Laboratory of Trauma, Burns and Combined Injury, The 2nd Department of Research Institute of Surgery, Daping Hospital, People s Republic of China
Shock 33:49-55. 2010Our previous studies have found that protein kinase C (PKC) alpha and epsilon take part in the regulation of calcium sensitization and vascular reactivity after hemorrhagic shock. However, the regulatory mechanism is still unclear...
- Endothelin-I and angiotensin II inhibit arterial voltage-gated K+ channels through different protein kinase C isoenzymesRichard D Rainbow
Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Leicester, Robert Kilpatrick Clinical Sciences Building, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester LE2 7LX, UK
Cardiovasc Res 83:493-500. 2009..arterial smooth muscle (ASM) modulate arterial tone and are inhibited by vasoconstrictors through protein kinase C (PKC)...
- Activated PKCalpha/ERK1/2 signaling inhibits tamoxifen-induced apoptosis in C6 cellsFen Tian
Department of Histology and Embryology, Zhongshan School of Medicine, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, Guangdong Province, China
Cancer Invest 27:802-8. 2009....
- The activation of matrix metalloproteinase-2 induced by protein kinase C alpha in decidualizationJen Hsiang Tsai
Department of Physical Therapy, School of Medical and Health Sciences, Fooyin University, Kaohsiung 83102, Taiwan
J Cell Biochem 108:547-54. 2009..To further investigate the correlation between MMP-2 and protein kinase C alpha (PKC alpha), the expression of MMP-2 in the 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol 13-acetate (TPA)-treated organotypic culture of ..
- PKC-alpha mediates flow-stimulated superoxide production in thick ascending limbsNancy J Hong
Department of Internal Medicine, Hypertension and Vascular Research Division, Henry Ford Hospital, 2799 West Grand Blvd, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 298:F885-91. 2010..Protein kinase C (PKC) activates NADPH oxidase activity in phagocytes, cardiomyocytes, aortic endothelial cells, vascular smooth muscle ..
- [Protective effects of hypoxia-inducible factor-1 alpha on myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury in rat and the role of protein kinase C in signal pathway]Tie Sheng Niu
Department of Cardiology, the Shengjing Hospital of China Medical University, Shenyang 110004, Liaoning, China
Zhongguo Wei Zhong Bing Ji Jiu Yi Xue 22:101-4. 2010To study the expression of hypoxia-inducible factor-1 alpha (HIF-1 alpha) in a rat model of myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury (IRI) and the role of protein kinase C (PKC) in signal pathway.
- [Role of protein kinase C in protecting rats against pulmonary ischemia reperfusion injury through opening of mitochondrial ATP sensitive potassium channel]De Qin Lu
Department of Pathophysiology, Guiyang Medical College, Guiyang 550004, China
Sichuan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 41:436-40. 2010To investigate the effect of opening of mitochondrial ATP-sensitive potassium channel on inducing lung protection against ischemia reperfusion injury (I/R) and the role of PKC in the protective effect.
- ATP enhances neuronal differentiation of PC12 cells by activating PKCα interactions with cytoskeletal proteinsConsuelo Marín-Vicente
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Proteome Res 10:529-40. 2011b>PKCα is a key mediator of the neuronal differentiation controlled by NGF and ATP. However, its downstream signaling pathways remain to be elucidated...
- Early endosomal antigen 1 (EEA1) is an obligate scaffold for angiotensin II-induced, PKC-alpha-dependent Akt activation in endosomesRafal Robert Nazarewicz
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Biol Chem 286:2886-95. 2011..Both Akt and phosphorylated Akt (p-Akt) interact with EEA1. We also found that PKC-α is required for organizing Ang II-induced, EEA1-dependent Akt phosphorylation in VSMC early endosomes...
- Nucleotide sequences of cDNAs for alpha and gamma subspecies of rat brain protein kinase CY Ono
Central Research Division, Takeda Chemical Industries, Osaka, Japan
Nucleic Acids Res 16:5199-200. 1988
- Characterization of calcium-dependent forms of protein kinase C in adult rat ventricular myocytesM Wientzek
Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Mol Cell Biochem 166:11-23. 1997..Isoform-specific antisera indicated both PKC alpha and PKC beta were present...
- Increased protein kinase C activity and expression of Ca2+-sensitive isoforms in the failing human heartN Bowling
Cardiovascular Research, Eli Lilly and Co, Indianapolis, Ind 46285 0520, USA
Circulation 99:384-91. 1999Increased expression of Ca2+-sensitive protein kinase C (PKC) isoforms may be important markers of heart failure. Our aim was to determine the relative expression of PKC-beta1, -beta2, and -alpha in failed and nonfailed myocardium.
- PKC-alpha shows variable patterns of translocation in response to different stimulatory agentsC Li
Department of Physiology, The Joan Edwards School of Medicine, Marshall University, Huntington, WV 25704, USA
Acta Physiol Scand 174:237-46. 2002..2001). Confocal microscopy and PKC alpha-enhanced green fluorescent protein (PKC alpha-EGFP) fusion protein expression were utilized to investigate the ..
- Molecular characterization of protein kinase C-alpha binding to lamin AAlberto M Martelli
Dipartimento di Scienze Anatomiche Umane e Fisiopatologia dell Apparato Locomotore, Sezione di Anatomia Umana, Cell Signaling Laboratory, Universita di Bologna, Via Irnerio 48, Italy
J Cell Biochem 86:320-30. 2002Previous results from our laboratory have identified lamin A as a protein kinase C (PKC)-binding protein. Here, we have identified the regions of PKC-alpha that are crucial for this binding...
- Proteomic Biomarkers of Health BehaviorsPaul Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- High Dose Alpha Tocopherol and Carotid AtherosclerosisIshwarlal Jialal; Fiscal Year: 2004..This study has the additional novelty of correlating biomarkers of oxidative stress and inflammation with a cardiovascular endpoint and will establish whether high dose AT decreases atherosclerosis progression. ..
- CRP, Diabetes, AtherothrombosisIshwarlal Jialal; Fiscal Year: 2010..CRP augments oxidative stress and inflammation in the diabetic milieu will eventually lead to therapies targeted at reducing inflammation and oxidative stress in diabetes and resulting in a decrease in vasculopathies ..
- PROTEIN KINASE C AND PHOTORECEPTORSALEXANDRA NEWTON; Fiscal Year: 2002..Specifically, the effect of this phosphorylation on rhodopsin s macromolecular interactions (transducin coupling, arrestin binding) will be explored. ..
- Prevention of Breast Cancer-Targeting COX-2 & PPARgammaALAA BADAWI; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- DAUs as IGF-1 Receptor Inhibitors in Breast CancerJack F Youngren; Fiscal Year: 2010..other kinases, and characterize the biological effects of altering the specificity of DAUs for the IGF-1 R. Together these studies will result in the production of well-characterized DAU-based compounds for anti-cancer drug development. ..