Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Pdgfra
Description: platelet derived growth factor receptor alpha
Alias: APDGFR, PDGFACE, platelet-derived growth factor receptor alpha, CD140 antigen-like family member A, PDGF-R-alpha, PDGFR-alpha, alpha platelet-derived growth factor receptor, alpha-type platelet-derived growth factor receptor, platelet derived growth factor receptor, alpha polypeptide, platelet-derived growth factor alpha receptor
- Kim T, Moon J, Savard C, Kuver R, Lee S. Effects of lipopolysaccharide on platelet-derived growth factor isoform and receptor expression in cultured rat common bile duct fibroblasts and cholangiocytes. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;24:1218-25 pubmed..Intracellular and secreted PDGF-AB increased with LPS treatment in NRC. These results support a model in which chronic bacterial colonization of the biliary tree induces fibrosis through PDGF-dependent mechanisms. ..
- Pardanani A, Brockman S, Paternoster S, Flynn H, Ketterling R, Lasho T, et al. FIP1L1-PDGFRA fusion: prevalence and clinicopathologic correlates in 89 consecutive patients with moderate to severe eosinophilia. Blood. 2004;104:3038-45 pubmedA novel oncogenic mutation (FIP1L1-PDGFRA), which results in a constitutively activated platelet-derived growth factor receptor-alpha (PDGFRA), has been invariably associated with a primary eosinophilic disorder...
- Fredriksson L, Li H, Fieber C, Li X, Eriksson U. Tissue plasminogen activator is a potent activator of PDGF-CC. EMBO J. 2004;23:3793-802 pubmed
- Brennan J, Tilmann C, Capel B. Pdgfr-alpha mediates testis cord organization and fetal Leydig cell development in the XY gonad. Genes Dev. 2003;17:800-10 pubmed..This work identifies PDGF signaling through the alpha receptor as an important event downstream of Sry in testis organogenesis and Leydig cell differentiation. ..
- Fernandez M, Giuliani A, Pirondi S, D Intino G, Giardino L, Aloe L, et al. Thyroid hormone administration enhances remyelination in chronic demyelinating inflammatory disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:16363-8 pubmed..Moreover, thyroid hormone exerts a neuroprotective effect with respect to axonal pathology. ..
- Fan B, Ma L, Li Q, Wang L, Zhou J, Wu J. Role of PDGFs/PDGFRs signaling pathway in myocardial fibrosis of DOCA/salt hypertensive rats. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2014;7:16-27 pubmed..PDGFR? and PDGFR? expressions increase in fibroblasts and myofibroblasts, suggesting that PDGF/PDGFR signaling pathway is involved in the myocardial fibrosis via stimulating fibroblasts to proliferate and transform into myofibroblasts. ..
- Jechlinger M, Sommer A, Moriggl R, Seither P, Kraut N, Capodiecci P, et al. Autocrine PDGFR signaling promotes mammary cancer metastasis. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:1561-70 pubmed..Thus, autocrine PDGFR signaling plays an essential role during cancer progression, suggesting a novel application of STI571 to therapeutically interfere with metastasis. ..
- Savolainen Peltonen H, Loubtchenkov M, Petrov L, Delafontaine P, Hayry P. Estrogen regulates insulin-like growth factor 1, platelet-derived growth factor A and B, and their receptors in the vascular wall. Transplantation. 2004;77:35-42 pubmed..Our findings demonstrate that estrogen regulates IGF-1, PDGF-A, PDGF-B, and PDGF-Ralpha, which may be related to the vasculoprotective effect of estrogen, but has no effect on IGF-1R or PDGF-Rbeta. ..
- Bonello M, Khachigian L. Fibroblast growth factor-2 represses platelet-derived growth factor receptor-alpha (PDGFR-alpha) transcription via ERK1/2-dependent Sp1 phosphorylation and an atypical cis-acting element in the proximal PDGFR-alpha promoter. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:2377-82 pubmed..Phosphorylation triggered by FGF-2 switches Sp1 from an activator to a repressor of PDGFR-alpha transcription, a finding previously unreported in any Sp1-dependent gene. ..
- Schmahl J, Rizzolo K, Soriano P. The PDGF signaling pathway controls multiple steroid-producing lineages. Genes Dev. 2008;22:3255-67 pubmed publisher..Therefore, PDGF signaling may constitute a common mechanism in the control of multiple steroidogenic lineages. ..
- Mangum J, Turpin E, Antao Menezes A, Cesta M, Bermudez E, Bonner J. Single-walled carbon nanotube (SWCNT)-induced interstitial fibrosis in the lungs of rats is associated with increased levels of PDGF mRNA and the formation of unique intercellular carbon structures that bridge alveolar macrophages in situ. Part Fibre Toxicol. 2006;3:15 pubmed..Of greatest interest was the discovery of unique intercellular carbon structures composed of SWCNT that bridged lung macrophages. These "carbon bridges" offer a novel and easily identifiable biomarker of exposure. ..
- Kowarik M, Onofri C, Colaco T, Stalla G, Renner U. Platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) and PDGF receptor expression and function in folliculostellate pituitary cells. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2010;118:113-20 pubmed publisher..Thus the PDGF/PDGF receptor system is expressed in folliculostellate cells and is involved in VEGF regulation. Its role in endocrine pituitary tumour cell lines and pituitary adenomas need to be clarified in future studies. ..
- Arefi M, Garcia J, Briz M, de Arriba F, Rodriguez J, Martín Nuñez G, et al. Response to imatinib mesylate in patients with hypereosinophilic syndrome. Int J Hematol. 2012;96:320-6 pubmed publisher..The cause of HES is unknown and shows clinical heterogeneity. FIP1L1-PDGFRA fusion is a clonal marker for the diagnosis and treatment of HES...
- Henriksen R, Funa K, Wilander E, Backstrom T, Ridderheim M, Oberg K. Expression and prognostic significance of platelet-derived growth factor and its receptors in epithelial ovarian neoplasms. Cancer Res. 1993;53:4550-4 pubmedThe expression of platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF), PDGF-alpha receptor (PDGFR alpha) and PDGF-beta receptor (PDGFR beta) was studied in normal ovaries and ovarian neoplasms by immunohistochemical analysis...
- Seifert R, Hart C, Phillips P, Forstrom J, Ross R, Murray M, et al. Two different subunits associate to create isoform-specific platelet-derived growth factor receptors. J Biol Chem. 1989;264:8771-8 pubmed..Both the absolute and relative numbers of these two PDGF receptor subunits vary on different cell types and correspond to differences in the mitogenic sensitivity of cells to the different PDGF isoforms. ..
- Wicklein D, Ramos Leal N, Salamon J, Thamer M, Herrmann H, Valent P, et al. Nilotinib and imatinib are comparably effective in reducing growth of human eosinophil leukemia cells in a newly established xenograft model. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30567 pubmed publisher..The FIP1L1/PDGFRA+ human CEL cell lineEOL-1 was injected intravenously into scid mice, and MR imaging and FACS analysis of mouse ..
- Watson P, Vinson C, Nesterova A, Reusch J. Content and activity of cAMP response element-binding protein regulate platelet-derived growth factor receptor-alpha content in vascular smooth muscles. Endocrinology. 2002;143:2922-9 pubmed..Thus, both in vitro and in vivo loss of CREB content and activity and subsequent accumulation of PDGFRalpha may contribute to SMC activation during diabetes. ..
- Savikko J, Kallio E, Taskinen E, von Willebrand E. The effect of acute rejection and cyclosporin A-treatment on induction of platelet-derived growth factor and its receptors during the development of chronic rat renal allograft rejection. Transplantation. 2002;73:506-11 pubmed
- Elling C, Erben P, Walz C, Frickenhaus M, Schemionek M, Stehling M, et al. Novel imatinib-sensitive PDGFRA-activating point mutations in hypereosinophilic syndrome induce growth factor independence and leukemia-like disease. Blood. 2011;117:2935-43 pubmed publisherThe FIP1L1-PDGFRA fusion is seen in a fraction of cases with a presumptive diagnosis of hypereosinophilic syndrome (HES)...
- Uzumcu M, Dirks K, Skinner M. Inhibition of platelet-derived growth factor actions in the embryonic testis influences normal cord development and morphology. Biol Reprod. 2002;66:745-53 pubmed..Inhibition of PDGF actions does not inhibit cord formation but does alter normal cord development and morphology. The observations provide insight into the factors involved in male sex differentiation and embryonic testis development. ..
- Soriano P. The PDGF alpha receptor is required for neural crest cell development and for normal patterning of the somites. Development. 1997;124:2691-700 pubmed..These results indicate that PDGFs may exert their functions during early embryogenesis by affecting cell survival and patterning. ..
- Chen C, Wang L, Chou H, Lang Y. Oligohydramnios decreases platelet-derived growth factor expression in fetal rat lungs. Neonatology. 2007;92:187-93 pubmed..A decreased PDGF expression may be important in the pathogenesis of oligohydramnios-induced pulmonary hypoplasia and suggests that supplementation may provide useful therapeutic strategies. ..
- Qu S, Ai X, Li C, Li Q, Xu Z, Qin T, et al. [Characteristics of cytogenetics and molecular biology in patients with eosinophilia]. Zhongguo Shi Yan Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi. 2012;20:1216-20 pubmed..Bone marrow samples from 79 cases of eosinophilia (AEoC ? 1.5×10(9)/L) were detected for PDGFRA/B and FGFR1 gene rearrangement by fluorescence in situ hybridization and reverse transcription polymerase chain ..
- Uchida T, Kitaura J, Nakahara F, Togami K, Inoue D, Maehara A, et al. Hes1 upregulation contributes to the development of FIP1L1-PDGRA-positive leukemia in blast crisis. Exp Hematol. 2014;42:369-379.e3 pubmed publisher..Thus, we have established mouse models of FIP1L1-PDGFRA-positive leukemia in myeloid blast crisis, which will help elucidate the pathogenesis of the disease and develop a ..
- Dorrance A, Pollock D, Romanko O, Stepp D. A high-potassium diet reduces infarct size and improves vascular structure in hypertensive rats. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2007;292:R415-22 pubmed..These results suggest that potassium supplementation provides neuroprotection in a model of ischemic stroke independent of blood pressure and possibly through changes in vascular structure. ..
- Yu J, Heidaran M, Pierce J, Gutkind J, Lombardi D, Ruggiero M, et al. Tyrosine mutations within the alpha platelet-derived growth factor receptor kinase insert domain abrogate receptor-associated phosphatidylinositol-3 kinase activity without affecting mitogenic or chemotactic signal transduction. Mol Cell Biol. 1991;11:3780-5 pubmed..Since neither mutation abolished PDGF-induced mitogenesis or chemotaxis, we conclude that alpha PDGF receptor-associated PI-3 kinase activity is not required for either of these major PDGF signalling functions. ..
- Pereira L, Wong M, Mossman A, Sourris K, Janes M, Knezevic K, et al. Pdgfr? and Flk1 are direct target genes of Mixl1 in differentiating embryonic stem cells. Stem Cell Res. 2012;8:165-79 pubmed publisher..These data support the hypothesis that Mixl1 directly regulates Pdgfr? and Flk1 gene expression and strengthens the position of Mixl1 as a key regulator of mesendoderm development during mammalian gastrulation. ..
- Bonner J, Lindroos P, Rice A, Moomaw C, Morgan D. Induction of PDGF receptor-alpha in rat myofibroblasts during pulmonary fibrogenesis in vivo. Am J Physiol. 1998;274:L72-80 pubmed..These data suggest that interleukin-1 beta-mediated induction of PDGF-R alpha in vivo is important to lung myofibroblast hyperplasia during fibrogenesis. ..
- Shepherd J, Stamper E, Matheson P, Galganski L, Garrison R, Madden K, et al. Alterations in platelet-derived growth factor expression in the pathophysiology of necrotizing enterocolitis. J Surg Res. 2015;198:377-83 pubmed publisher..Dysregulation of PDGF during intestinal maturation could contribute to the development of NEC. Further investigation into this pathway could yield new therapeutic targets for this devastating disease. ..
- Abe H, Uto H, Takami Y, Takahama Y, Hasuike S, Kodama M, et al. Transgenic expression of osteoactivin in the liver attenuates hepatic fibrosis in rats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;356:610-5 pubmed..These results indicate that transgenic OA expression attenuates the development of hepatic fibrosis in association with the suppression of specific genes involved in its pathogenesis. ..
- Hwang R, Yokoi K, Bucana C, Tsan R, Killion J, Evans D, et al. Inhibition of platelet-derived growth factor receptor phosphorylation by STI571 (Gleevec) reduces growth and metastasis of human pancreatic carcinoma in an orthotopic nude mouse model. Clin Cancer Res. 2003;9:6534-44 pubmed..Collectively, these data show that activated PDGFR on tumor cells and tumor-endothelial cells can be a novel target for therapy of pancreatic carcinoma. ..
- Sarzani R, Arnaldi G, Takasaki I, Brecher P, Chobanian A. Effects of hypertension and aging on platelet-derived growth factor and platelet-derived growth factor receptor expression in rat aorta and heart. Hypertension. 1991;18:III93-9 pubmed..The findings also provide further support for the concept that hypertension accelerates the arterial changes associated with aging. ..
- Chen Q, Giannobile W. Adenoviral gene transfer of PDGF downregulates gas gene product PDGFalphaR and prolongs ERK and Akt/PKB activation. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2002;282:C538-44 pubmed..These findings demonstrate the prolonged effects of adenoviral delivery of PDGF and aid in the better understanding of sustained PDGF signaling. ..
- Breitkopf K, Roeyen C, Sawitza I, Wickert L, Floege J, Gressner A. Expression patterns of PDGF-A, -B, -C and -D and the PDGF-receptors alpha and beta in activated rat hepatic stellate cells (HSC). Cytokine. 2005;31:349-57 pubmed..Given the dramatic changes in PDGF-C and -D expression, which may compensate for down-regulation of PDGF-B, we hypothesize that the new PDGF isoforms may fulfil specific functions in hepatic fibrogenesis. ..
- Klinghoffer R, Mueting Nelsen P, Faerman A, Shani M, Soriano P. The two PDGF receptors maintain conserved signaling in vivo despite divergent embryological functions. Mol Cell. 2001;7:343-54 pubmed..This observation provides a framework for discussing the evolution of receptor tyrosine kinase functional specificity. ..
- Basciani S, Mariani S, Arizzi M, Ulisse S, Rucci N, Jannini E, et al. Expression of platelet-derived growth factor-A (PDGF-A), PDGF-B, and PDGF receptor-alpha and -beta during human testicular development and disease. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002;87:2310-9 pubmed..Finally, the expression of PDGF ligands and receptor proteins in Leydig cell tumors suggests a relationship of the PDGF system to tumorigenesis or tumor progression in this testicular neoplasm. ..
- Yang C, Hsieh H, Yu P, Lin C, Liu S. IL-1Î² Induces MMP-9-Dependent Brain Astrocytic Migration via Transactivation of PDGF Receptor/NADPH Oxidase 2-Derived Reactive Oxygen Species Signals. Mol Neurobiol. 2015;52:303-17 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrated that in RBA-1 cells, activation of NF-ÎºB and AP-1 (ATF2) by the c-Src/PDGFR/PI3K/Akt-mediated Nox2/ROS/MAPKs signals is required for upregulation of MMP-9 and cell migration enhanced by IL-1Î². ..
- Zahner G, Wolf G, Ayoub M, Reinking R, Panzer U, Shankland S, et al. Cyclooxygenase-2 overexpression inhibits platelet-derived growth factor-induced mesangial cell proliferation through induction of the tumor suppressor gene p53 and the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors p21waf-1/cip-1 and p27kip-1. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:9763-71 pubmed..These data suggest that COX-2 inhibits mesangial cell proliferation by a novel mechanism that is independent of prostaglandin synthesis, but involves p53, p21(cip-1), and p27(kip-1). ..
- Warzecha Z, Dembinski A, Ceranowicz P, Dembinski M, Kownacki P, Konturek S, et al. Immunohistochemical expression of FGF-2, PDGF-A, VEGF and TGF beta RII in the pancreas in the course of ischemia/reperfusion-induced acute pancreatitis. J Physiol Pharmacol. 2004;55:791-810 pubmed..Maximal content of FGF, VEGF and TGFbeta RII has been observed in early stage of pancreatic regeneration suggesting the involvement these factors in pancreatic recovery. ..
- Nakagawa T, Sasahara M, Haneda M, Kataoka H, Nakagawa H, Yagi M, et al. Role of PDGF B-chain and PDGF receptors in rat tubular regeneration after acute injury. Am J Pathol. 1999;155:1689-99 pubmed..These findings suggest that the PDGF-B/PDGFRs axis is involved in the proliferation of injured tubular cells and plays an important role in the regeneration of tubular cells from acute ischemic injury. ..
- Karlsson L, Bondjers C, Betsholtz C. Roles for PDGF-A and sonic hedgehog in development of mesenchymal components of the hair follicle. Development. 1999;126:2611-21 pubmed..Such embryos fail to form pre-papilla aggregates of postmitotic PDGF-Ralpha-positive cells, suggesting that shh has a critical role in the assembly of the dermal papilla. ..
- Vassbotn F, Havnen O, Heldin C, Holmsen H. Negative feedback regulation of human platelets via autocrine activation of the platelet-derived growth factor alpha-receptor. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:13874-9 pubmed..Our demonstration of PDGF alpha-receptors on human platelets and its inhibitory function during platelet activation identifies a new possible role of PDGF in the regulation of thrombosis. ..
- Ricono J, Arar M, Choudhury G, Abboud H. Effect of platelet-derived growth factor isoforms in rat metanephric mesenchymal cells. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2002;282:F211-9 pubmed..Collectively, the data may have implications related to the failure of PDGF AA to rescue mesangial cell phenotype in PDGF B-chain or PDGF-beta-receptor deficiency. ..
- Abe J, Deguchi J, Matsumoto T, Takuwa N, Noda M, Ohno M, et al. Stimulated activation of platelet-derived growth factor receptor in vivo in balloon-injured arteries: a link between angiotensin II and intimal thickening. Circulation. 1997;96:1906-13 pubmed..These results are consistent with the pathogenetic role for PDGF in intimal thickening. ..
- Landreh L, Stukenborg J, Soder O, Svechnikov K. Phenotype and steroidogenic potential of PDGFR?-positive rat neonatal peritubular cells. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2013;372:96-104 pubmed publisher..All together, our findings support the hypothesis that neonatal PDGFR?-positive PTCs are steroidogenic competent progeny of stem Leydig cells (SLCs) which give rise to the adult Leydig cell lineage. ..
- Adams S, Hickson J, Hutto J, Montag A, Lengyel E, Yamada S. PDGFR-alpha as a potential therapeutic target in uterine sarcomas. Gynecol Oncol. 2007;104:524-8 pubmed..The strong expression of PDGFR-alpha in uterine sarcoma specimens suggests a role for this receptor in tumor development, although its potential as a therapeutic target requires further investigation. ..
- Lindroos P, Coin P, Osornio Vargas A, Bonner J. Interleukin 1 beta (IL-1 beta) and the IL-1 beta-alpha 2-macroglobulin complex upregulate the platelet-derived growth factor alpha-receptor on rat pulmonary fibroblasts. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 1995;13:455-65 pubmed..These results indicate that the fibroblast response to PDGF isoforms is modulated by a complex interaction involving IL-1 beta, alpha 2M, and thioredoxin, all of which are produced in vivo by activated macrophages. ..
- Ataca P, Soyturk M, Karaman M, Unlu M, Sagol O, Dervis Hakim G, et al. Nilotinib-mediated mucosal healing in a rat model of colitis. World J Gastroenterol. 2013;19:6237-44 pubmed publisher..While no significant difference for the nilotinib vs control groups could be determined for PDGFR alpha and beta scores, PDGFR alpha and beta scores were lower in the nilotinib group than in the TNBS group...
- He Y, Cai W, Wang L, Chen P. A developmental study on the expression of PDGFalphaR immunoreactive cells in the brain of postnatal rats. Neurosci Res. 2009;65:272-9 pubmed publisher..However, further work will be necessary to determine if PDGFalphaR-/NG2+ cells may still maintain the biological characteristics of OPCs or they are other subpopulation of OPCs. ..
- Xiao J, Chen X, Xu L, Zhang Y, Yin Q, Wang F. Regulation of chondrocyte proliferation through GIT1-Rac1-mediated ERK1/2 pathway by PDGF. Cell Biol Int. 2014;38:695-701 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that PDGF regulates chondrocyte proliferation through activation of ERK1/2 pathway by upregulation of GIT1 expression and Rac1 phosphorylation. ..
- Sun Y, Xing D, Wang X, Hu S, Bai H, Wu L. [Effect of Ang II on PDGF receptor expression in vascular smooth muscle cell]. Zhongguo Ying Yong Sheng Li Xue Za Zhi. 2005;21:166-9 pubmed..01). The effect of Ang II was inhibited remarkably by pretreatment with losartan. Ang II can stimulate PDGF receptor expression in VSMC, it may be an important mechanism of Ang II-induced VSMC proliferation. ..
- Fudge K, Wang C, Stearns M. Immunohistochemistry analysis of platelet-derived growth factor A and B chains and platelet-derived growth factor alpha and beta receptor expression in benign prostatic hyperplasias and Gleason-graded human prostate adenocarcinomas. Mod Pathol. 1994;7:549-54 pubmed..The data suggest that PDGF A and alpha receptor genes may be preferentially turned on in epithelial and stromal prostate tumor cells. ..