Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Pdgfb
Description: platelet derived growth factor subunit B
Alias: SIS, c-sis, platelet-derived growth factor subunit B, PDGF subunit B, PDGF-2, Platelet-derived growth factor, same as Sis (Simian sarcoma viral oncogene homologue, c-sis), pdgf protein, platelet derived growth factor, B polypeptide, platelet derived growth factor-bb, platelet-derived growth factor B chain, platelet-derived growth factor beta polypeptide (simian sarcoma viral (v-sis) oncogene homolog)
- Distler J, Jungel A, Huber L, Schulze Horsel U, Zwerina J, Gay R, et al. Imatinib mesylate reduces production of extracellular matrix and prevents development of experimental dermal fibrosis. Arthritis Rheum. 2007;56:311-22 pubmed..Considering its favorable pharmacokinetics and clinical experience with its use in other diseases, imatinib mesylate is a promising candidate for the treatment of fibrotic diseases such as SSc. ..
- Pierce G, Mustoe T, Senior R, Reed J, Griffin G, Thomason A, et al. In vivo incisional wound healing augmented by platelet-derived growth factor and recombinant c-sis gene homodimeric proteins. J Exp Med. 1988;167:974-87 pubmed..Recombinant human c-sis (rPDGF-B), homodimers of the B chain of PDGF, were compared with hPDGF in vitro...
- Mori R, Shaw T, Martin P. Molecular mechanisms linking wound inflammation and fibrosis: knockdown of osteopontin leads to rapid repair and reduced scarring. J Exp Med. 2008;205:43-51 pubmed publisher..Thus, OPN and PDGF are potential targets for therapeutic modulation of skin repair to improve healing rate and quality. ..
- Yokota T, Ma R, Park J, Isshiki K, Sotiropoulos K, Rauniyar R, et al. Role of protein kinase C on the expression of platelet-derived growth factor and endothelin-1 in the retina of diabetic rats and cultured retinal capillary pericytes. Diabetes. 2003;52:838-45 pubmed..The novel demonstration of elevated expression of PDGF-B and its induction by PKC activation identifies a potential new molecular step in the pathogenesis of diabetic retinopathy. ..
- Torisu R, Suzuki S, Masui K, Yoshimoto K, Mizoguchi M, Hashizume M, et al. Persistent roles of signal transduction of platelet-derived growth factor B in genesis, growth, and anaplastic transformation of gliomas in an in-vivo serial transplantation model. Brain Tumor Pathol. 2011;28:33-42 pubmed publisherWe previously reported that retrovirally transduced platelet-derived growth factor-B (PDGFB) in glial progenitors of the rat cerebral white matter, subventricular zone, or brain stem induced malignant brain tumors closely resembling ..
- Wang H, Ruan H, Huang G. [A preliminary study on the changes of expression of PDGF-beta, PDGFR-beta, TGF-beta 1, TGFR, bFGF and its relationship with the wound age in wound healing]. Fa Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2001;17:198-201, 204 pubmed..The expression characteristics of the above mentioned cytokines in wound repair should be related to the wound age and it reminds therefore that they may be used as immunohistochemical criteria for accurate determining the wound age. ..
- Arar M, Xu Y, Elshihabi I, Barnes J, Choudhury G, Abboud H. Platelet-derived growth factor receptor beta regulates migration and DNA synthesis in metanephric mesenchymal cells. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:9527-33 pubmed..PDGF B-chain also likely stimulates proliferation of mesangial cell precursors in an autocrine fashion once these cells migrate to the glomerular tuft. ..
- Katayose D, Ohe M, Yamauchi K, Ogata M, Shirato K, Fujita H, et al. Increased expression of PDGF A- and B-chain genes in rat lungs with hypoxic pulmonary hypertension. Am J Physiol. 1993;264:L100-6 pubmed..These results suggest that the PDGF A- and B-chain products may be coordinately and sequentially involved in hypoxic pulmonary vascular remodeling...
- Oefner C, D Arcy A, Winkler F, Eggimann B, HoSang M. Crystal structure of human platelet-derived growth factor BB. EMBO J. 1992;11:3921-6 pubmed..Dimerization leads to the clustering of three surface loops at each end of the elongated dimer, which most probably form the receptor recognition sites. ..
- Gokden N, Dehner L, Zhu X, Pfeifer J. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans of the vulva and groin: detection of COL1A1-PDGFB fusion transcripts by RT-PCR. J Cutan Pathol. 2003;30:190-5 pubmed..results in the fusion of two genes, collagen type I alpha 1(COL1A1) and platelet-derived growth factor B-chain (PDGFB)...
- Jin S, Hansson E, Tikka S, Lanner F, Sahlgren C, Farnebo F, et al. Notch signaling regulates platelet-derived growth factor receptor-beta expression in vascular smooth muscle cells. Circ Res. 2008;102:1483-91 pubmed publisher..In sum, these data reveal a hierarchy for 2 important signaling systems, Notch and PDGF, in the vasculature and provide insights into how dysregulated Notch signaling perturbs VSMC differentiation and function. ..
- Kojima N, Hori M, Murata T, Morizane Y, Ozaki H. Different profiles of Ca2+ responses to endothelin-1 and PDGF in liver myofibroblasts during the process of cell differentiation. Br J Pharmacol. 2007;151:816-27 pubmed..The different pharmacological profiles of [Ca(2+)](i)-response in quiescent and activated myofibroblasts suggest that ET-1 and PDGF contribute differently to myofibroblast activation during the process of liver fibrosis. ..
- Johnsson A, Heldin C, Westermark B, Wasteson A. Platelet-derived growth factor: identification of constituent polypeptide chains. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1982;104:66-74 pubmed
- Escobedo J, Navankasatussas S, Cousens L, Coughlin S, Bell G, Williams L. A common PDGF receptor is activated by homodimeric A and B forms of PDGF. Science. 1988;240:1532-4 pubmed
- Nakagawa H, Sasahara M, Haneda M, Koya D, Hazama F, Kikkawa R. Immunohistochemical characterization of glomerular PDGF B-chain and PDGF beta-receptor expression in diabetic rats. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2000;48:87-98 pubmed..Our results suggest that the activation of the PDGF system in glomerular cells might play an important role in the development of early glomerular lesion in diabetes. ..
- Breitkopf K, Roeyen C, Sawitza I, Wickert L, Floege J, Gressner A. Expression patterns of PDGF-A, -B, -C and -D and the PDGF-receptors alpha and beta in activated rat hepatic stellate cells (HSC). Cytokine. 2005;31:349-57 pubmed..Given the dramatic changes in PDGF-C and -D expression, which may compensate for down-regulation of PDGF-B, we hypothesize that the new PDGF isoforms may fulfil specific functions in hepatic fibrogenesis. ..
- Nowak W, Parameswaran N, Hall C, Aiyar N, Sparks H, Spielman W. Novel regulation of adrenomedullin receptor by PDGF: role of receptor activity modifying protein-3. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2002;282:C1322-31 pubmed..Taken together, these data identify PDGF-dependent regulation of RAMP-3 expression as a possible mechanism for modulating the responsiveness of the mesangial cell to AM. ..
- Zehetner C, Kirchmair R, Neururer S, Kralinger M, Bechrakis N, Kieselbach G. Systemic upregulation of PDGF-B in patients with neovascular AMD. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014;55:337-44 pubmed publisher..Our study data indicate that PDGF-B may be involved in the pathogenesis of neovascular AMD. (https://eudract.ema.europa.eu number, EudraCT 2010-024654-11) ..
- Zhu L, Loo W, Cheng C, Chow L. Possible predictive markers related to micro-metastasis in breast cancer patients. Oncol Rep. 2006;15:1217-23 pubmed..017), whereas VEGF overexpression predicts only the presence of SLN micro-metastasis by IHC (P=0.001). Our results indicate the possible value of using these markers to predict the risk of micro-metastasis in breast cancer. ..
- Hellstrom M, Kalén M, Lindahl P, Abramsson A, Betsholtz C. Role of PDGF-B and PDGFR-beta in recruitment of vascular smooth muscle cells and pericytes during embryonic blood vessel formation in the mouse. Development. 1999;126:3047-55 pubmed..Subsequent angiogenic sprouting and vessel enlargement involves PDGF-B-dependent vSMC/PC progenitor co-migration and proliferation, and/or PDGF-B-independent new induction of vSMC/PC, depending on tissue context. ..
- Lo H, Wu M, Pan S, Peng C, Wu P, Wu W. Chrysin restores PDGF-induced inhibition on protein tyrosine phosphatase and reduces PDGF signaling in cultured VSMCs. J Nutr Biochem. 2012;23:667-78 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we provide here evidence that chrysin can regulate intracellular PTP activity during PDGF signaling, inhibits PDGF-induced VSMC proliferation and chemotaxis, and reduces arterial intima hyperplasia in vivo. ..
- Praidou A, Papakonstantinou E, Androudi S, Georgiadis N, Karakiulakis G, Dimitrakos S. Vitreous and serum levels of vascular endothelial growth factor and platelet-derived growth factor and their correlation in patients with non-proliferative diabetic retinopathy and clinically significant macula oedema. Acta Ophthalmol. 2011;89:248-54 pubmed publisher..Only PDGF-AB vitreous levels correlated significantly with PDGF-BB vitreous levels in the NPDR group. It appears that in addition to VEGF, almost all PDGF isoforms in the vitreous are also correlated with NPDR and CSMO. ..
- Kee H, Kim G, Cho S, Kwon J, Ahn Y, Kook H, et al. miR-18a-5p MicroRNA Increases Vascular Smooth Muscle Cell Differentiation by Downregulating Syndecan4. Korean Circ J. 2014;44:255-63 pubmed publisher..Finally, we showed that Smad2 induced the expression of VSMC differentiation marker genes in VSMCs. These results indicate that miR-18a-5p is involved in VSMC differentiation by targeting syndecan4. ..
- Matsui T, Heidaran M, Miki T, Popescu N, La Rochelle W, Kraus M, et al. Isolation of a novel receptor cDNA establishes the existence of two PDGF receptor genes. Science. 1989;243:800-4 pubmed..The existence of genes encoding two PDGF receptors that interact in a distinct manner with three different PDGF isoforms likely confers considerable regulatory flexibility in the functional responses to PDGF. ..
- Saito Y, Hojo Y, Tanimoto T, Abe J, Berk B. Protein kinase C-alpha and protein kinase C-epsilon are required for Grb2-associated binder-1 tyrosine phosphorylation in response to platelet-derived growth factor. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:23216-22 pubmed..Because PDGF-mediated ERK activation is enhanced in Chinese hamster ovary cells that overexpress Gab1, Gab1 serves as an important link between PKC and ERK activation by PDGFbeta receptors in VSMC. ..
- Jiang H, Chen J, Wang L, Zhu L, Wen H. Down-regulation of CREB-binding protein expression inhibits thrombin-induced proliferation of endothelial cells: possible relevance to PDGF-B. Cell Biol Int. 2010;34:1155-61 pubmed publisher..This inhibitory effect was, in part, related to the inability to up-regulate PDGF-B expression in ECs. CBP could be regarded as a potential therapeutic target for vascular injury. ..
- Davis B, Hilyard A, Nguyen P, Lagna G, Hata A. Induction of microRNA-221 by platelet-derived growth factor signaling is critical for modulation of vascular smooth muscle phenotype. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:3728-38 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates that PDGF signaling, by modulating the expression of miR-221, regulates two critical determinants of the vSMC phenotype; they are SMC gene expression and cell proliferation. ..
- Mo B, Liu W, Yang L, Jiao J. [Modulation of expression of platelet-derived growth factor by nuclear transcription factor-kappaB in rats retina]. Zhonghua Yan Ke Za Zhi. 2007;43:49-54 pubmed..Upregulation of PDGF may play an important role in the occurrence of intraocular inflammation and the different isoform of PDGF may have different impact on various ocular diseases. ..
- Mangum J, Turpin E, Antao Menezes A, Cesta M, Bermudez E, Bonner J. Single-walled carbon nanotube (SWCNT)-induced interstitial fibrosis in the lungs of rats is associated with increased levels of PDGF mRNA and the formation of unique intercellular carbon structures that bridge alveolar macrophages in situ. Part Fibre Toxicol. 2006;3:15 pubmed..Of greatest interest was the discovery of unique intercellular carbon structures composed of SWCNT that bridged lung macrophages. These "carbon bridges" offer a novel and easily identifiable biomarker of exposure. ..
- Kaminski W, Lindahl P, Lin N, Broudy V, Crosby J, Hellstrom M, et al. Basis of hematopoietic defects in platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF)-B and PDGF beta-receptor null mice. Blood. 2001;97:1990-8 pubmed..The chimera models in this study will serve as valuable tools to test the role of PDGF in inflammatory and immune responses. (Blood. 2001;97:1990-1998) ..
- Hu Y, Cheng P, Ma J, Xue Y, Liu Y. Platelet-derived growth factor BB mediates the glioma-induced migration of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells by promoting the expression of vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 through the PI3K, P38 MAPK and NF-?B pathways. Oncol Rep. 2013;30:2755-64 pubmed publisher..PI3K, p38 MAPK and NF-?B were involved in the signal transduction of this process. ..
- Liang M, Wang H, Zhang Y, Lu S, Wang Z. Expression and functional analysis of platelet-derived growth factor in uterine leiomyomata. Cancer Biol Ther. 2006;5:28-33 pubmed..PDGF may play a role in the pathogenesis of leiomyomas through a mechanism involved in not only the proliferation of leiomyoma cells but also excessive expression of extra cellular molecules. ..
- Mermis J, Gu H, Xue B, Li F, Tawfik O, Buch S, et al. Hypoxia-inducible factor-1 ?/platelet derived growth factor axis in HIV-associated pulmonary vascular remodeling. Respir Res. 2011;12:103 pubmed publisher..In summary, these findings indicate that viral protein induced oxidative stress results in HIF-1? dependent up-regulation of PDGF-BB and suggests the possible involvement of this pathway in the development of HIV-PAH. ..
- Ohno M, Sasahara M, Narumiya S, Tanaka N, Yamano T, Shimada M, et al. Expression of platelet-derived growth factor B-chain and beta-receptor in hypoxic/ischemic encephalopathy of neonatal rats. Neuroscience. 1999;90:643-51 pubmed..Through autocrine and paracrine mechanisms, platelet-derived growth factor B-chain molecules may act as a neuroprotective factor in immature brain experiencing with hypoxic/ischemic injury. ..
- Cook J, Marcheselli V, Alam J, Deininger P, Bazan N. Temporal changes in gene expression following cryogenic rat brain injury. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1998;55:9-19 pubmed..In the present model, many genes demonstrate elevated RNA levels in the cortex prior to hippocampus, following injury. RNAs transcribed from late genes tend to be elevated concurrently in cortex and hippocampus. ..
- Hollinger J, Onikepe A, MacKrell J, Einhorn T, Bradica G, Lynch S, et al. Accelerated fracture healing in the geriatric, osteoporotic rat with recombinant human platelet-derived growth factor-BB and an injectable beta-tricalcium phosphate/collagen matrix. J Orthop Res. 2008;26:83-90 pubmed..Data from the study are the first, to our knowledge, to underscore rhPDGF-BB efficacy in an injectable beta-tricalcium phosphate/collagen matrix accelerated fracture repair in a geriatric, osteoporotic rat model. ..
- Choudhury G, Mahimainathan L, Das F, Venkatesan B, Ghosh Choudhury N. c-Src couples PI 3 kinase/Akt and MAPK signaling to PDGF-induced DNA synthesis in mesangial cells. Cell Signal. 2006;18:1854-64 pubmed..Furthermore our results demonstrate that c-Src integrates signals into the nucleus to activate CDK2, which is required for DNA synthesis. ..
- Kim T, Moon J, Savard C, Kuver R, Lee S. Effects of lipopolysaccharide on platelet-derived growth factor isoform and receptor expression in cultured rat common bile duct fibroblasts and cholangiocytes. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;24:1218-25 pubmed..Intracellular and secreted PDGF-AB increased with LPS treatment in NRC. These results support a model in which chronic bacterial colonization of the biliary tree induces fibrosis through PDGF-dependent mechanisms. ..
- Eisel F, Boosen M, Beck M, Heide H, Wittig I, Beck K, et al. Platelet-derived growth factor triggers PKA-mediated signalling by a redox-dependent mechanism in rat renal mesangial cells. Biochem Pharmacol. 2013;85:101-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we demonstrate a redox-mediated activation of PKA by PDGF-BB thus highlighting a physiological role of ROS as regulator of PKA activity in rat mesangial cells. ..
- Rafty L, Khachigian L. von Hippel-Lindau tumor suppressor protein represses platelet-derived growth factor B-chain gene expression via the Sp1 binding element in the proximal PDGF-B promoter. J Cell Biochem. 2002;85:490-5 pubmed..We show that Sp1 can rescue PDGF-B promoter activity and endogenous PDGF-B mRNA expression from pVHL repression. These findings thus demonstrate a pivotal role for Sp1 in pVHL inhibition of PDGF-B transcription. ..
- Savolainen Peltonen H, Loubtchenkov M, Petrov L, Delafontaine P, Hayry P. Estrogen regulates insulin-like growth factor 1, platelet-derived growth factor A and B, and their receptors in the vascular wall. Transplantation. 2004;77:35-42 pubmed..Our findings demonstrate that estrogen regulates IGF-1, PDGF-A, PDGF-B, and PDGF-Ralpha, which may be related to the vasculoprotective effect of estrogen, but has no effect on IGF-1R or PDGF-Rbeta. ..
- Yamauchi T, Ogura T, Oishi T, Omiya T, Ota Z. The angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitor, cilazapril inhibits the platelet-derived growth factor B chain expression in glomeruli of spontaneously hypertensive rats. Ren Physiol Biochem. 1995;18:237-45 pubmed..This suggests that angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitors directly suppress the Ang II-induced PDGF B chain promotion in the glomerulus of SHR at the established hypertensive stage. ..
- Chen S, Zheng J, Ni L, Chen G, Zhou L. [The effect of angiotensin-(1-7) on the mRNA expression of PDGF and TGF-beta1 in the kidney of diabetic rats]. Zhongguo Ying Yong Sheng Li Xue Za Zhi. 2008;24:475-8 pubmed..There was significant difference between the group D and T about the RW/BW, renal morphology, the total urine protein and the mRNA expression of PDGF and TGF-beta1. Ang-(1-7) can relieve the renal process of diabetic rats. ..
- Perez J, Torres R, Rocic P, Cismowski M, Weber D, Darley Usmar V, et al. PYK2 signaling is required for PDGF-dependent vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2011;301:C242-51 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that PYK2 is an important upstream mediator in PDGF-dependent signaling cascades that regulate VSMC proliferation. ..
- Heldin C, Westermark B, Wasteson A. Platelet-derived growth factor: purification and partial characterization. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1979;76:3722-6 pubmed..The stimulatory activity on human glial cells of the purified product at a concentration of approximately 4 ng/ml (0.13 nM) was equal to that of 1% human serum. ..
- Lindner V. Role of basic fibroblast growth factor and platelet-derived growth factor (B-chain) in neointima formation after arterial injury. Z Kardiol. 1995;84 Suppl 4:137-44 pubmed..Our data suggest that the FGF-2/FGFR-1 system may play a role in the continued proliferation of intimal SMCs, while PDGF-B may be promoting intimal lesion formation by stimulating SMC migration via its chemotactic effect. ..
- Chen C, Wang L, Chou H, Lang Y. Oligohydramnios decreases platelet-derived growth factor expression in fetal rat lungs. Neonatology. 2007;92:187-93 pubmed..A decreased PDGF expression may be important in the pathogenesis of oligohydramnios-induced pulmonary hypoplasia and suggests that supplementation may provide useful therapeutic strategies. ..
- Lindner V, Giachelli C, Schwartz S, Reidy M. A subpopulation of smooth muscle cells in injured rat arteries expresses platelet-derived growth factor-B chain mRNA. Circ Res. 1995;76:951-7 pubmed
- Espinosa L, Linares P, Bejerano A, Lopez C, Sánchez A, Moreno Otero R, et al. Soluble angiogenic factors in patients with acute pancreatitis. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2011;45:630-7 pubmed publisher..These factors along with Ang-2 are related to clinical evolution and are useful in predicting the development of several complications during hospital stay. Therefore, these angiogenic factors could be useful as prognosis markers of AP. ..
- Sleer L, Taylor C. Platelet-derived growth factors and receptors in the rat corpus luteum: localization and identification of an effect on luteogenesis. Biol Reprod. 2007;76:391-400 pubmed..Levels of ovarian mRNA for Pdgfb and Pdgfd, and their receptor, Pdgfrb, increased significantly as early as 4 h after human chorionic gonadotropin (..
- Fischetti F, Candido R, Toffoli B, Durigutto P, Bernardi S, Carretta R, et al. Innate immunity, through late complement components activation, contributes to the development of early vascular inflammation and morphologic alterations in experimental diabetes. Atherosclerosis. 2011;216:83-9 pubmed publisher
- Sasahara M, Hayase Y, Yang X, Iihara K, Amano S, Hazama F. Platelet-derived growth factor B-chain comprises the major part of enhanced released mitogen from aortic endothelial cells of stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rats. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol Suppl. 1995;22:S123-5 pubmed
- Wang W, Zeng M, Liu D, Fan X, Zhu C, Zhan X. [Effect of signal transducer and activator of transcription 1 antisense oligodeoxynucleotides on inflammatory mediators, type I and type III collagen mRNA of rat pulmonary fibrosis]. Xi Bao Yu Fen Zi Mian Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2009;25:389-92 pubmed
- Wang W, Qi L, Tan M, Zhang Z, Du J, Wei X, et al. Effect of platelet-derived growth factor-B on renal cell carcinoma growth and progression. Urol Oncol. 2015;33:168.e17-27 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrated that PDGF-B, which increased VSMCs proliferation and migration capability during angiogenesis, limited tumor growth and progression in ccRCC. Therefore, PDGF-B may be a novel and promising prognostic marker. ..
- Riedel H, Yousaf N, Zhao Y, Dai H, Deng Y, Wang J. PSM, a mediator of PDGF-BB-, IGF-I-, and insulin-stimulated mitogenesis. Oncogene. 2000;19:39-50 pubmed..Our findings support the model that PSM participates as an adapter in various mitogenic signaling mechanisms by linking an activated (receptor) phospho-tyrosine to the SH3 domain of an unknown cellular partner. ..
- Yellaturu C, Bhanoori M, Neeli I, Rao G. N-Ethylmaleimide inhibits platelet-derived growth factor BB-stimulated Akt phosphorylation via activation of protein phosphatase 2A. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:40148-55 pubmed..NAC also attenuated the apoptosis induced by NEM, alone or in combination with PDGF-BB. Together, these findings demonstrate for the first time that PP2A mediates thiol alkylation-dependent redox regulation of Akt and cell survival. ..
- Egawa Tsuzuki T, Ohno M, Tanaka N, Takeuchi Y, Uramoto H, Faigle R, et al. The PDGF B-chain is involved in the ontogenic susceptibility of the developing rat brain to NMDA toxicity. Exp Neurol. 2004;186:89-98 pubmed..Enhancement of the PDGF-B/receptor signal pathway might rescue neonatal brains at risk of H-I injury. ..
- Arita Y, Kihara S, Ouchi N, Maeda K, Kuriyama H, Okamoto Y, et al. Adipocyte-derived plasma protein adiponectin acts as a platelet-derived growth factor-BB-binding protein and regulates growth factor-induced common postreceptor signal in vascular smooth muscle cell. Circulation. 2002;105:2893-8 pubmed