Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: p54
Description: nucleobindin 2
Alias: Nefa, p54, nucleobindin-2, DNA-binding protein NEFA, nesfatin-1, prepronefastin, prepronesfatin
- Maejima Y, Sedbazar U, Suyama S, Kohno D, Onaka T, Takano E, et al. Nesfatin-1-regulated oxytocinergic signaling in the paraventricular nucleus causes anorexia through a leptin-independent melanocortin pathway. Cell Metab. 2009;10:355-65 pubmed publisher..The present results reveal the nesfatin-1-operative oxytocinergic signaling in the PVN that triggers leptin-independent melanocortin-mediated anorexia. ..
- Yoshida N, Maejima Y, Sedbazar U, Ando A, Kurita H, Damdindorj B, et al. Stressor-responsive central nesfatin-1 activates corticotropin-releasing hormone, noradrenaline and serotonin neurons and evokes hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis. Aging (Albany NY). 2010;2:775-84 pubmed..These results indicate that the central nesfatin-1 system is stimulated by stress and activates CRH, NA and 5-HT neurons and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, evoking both central and peripheral stress responses. ..
- Yosten G, Samson W. Nesfatin-1 exerts cardiovascular actions in brain: possible interaction with the central melanocortin system. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009;297:R330-6 pubmed publisher..Thus we have identified a novel action of nesfatin-1, in addition to its anorexigenic effects, to stimulate autonomic nervous system activity. ..
- Kohno D, Nakata M, Maejima Y, Shimizu H, Sedbazar U, Yoshida N, et al. Nesfatin-1 neurons in paraventricular and supraoptic nuclei of the rat hypothalamus coexpress oxytocin and vasopressin and are activated by refeeding. Endocrinology. 2008;149:1295-301 pubmed..Feeding-activated nesfatin-1 neurons in the PVN and SON could play a role in the postprandial regulation of feeding behavior and energy homeostasis. ..
- Oh I S, Shimizu H, Satoh T, Okada S, Adachi S, Inoue K, et al. Identification of nesfatin-1 as a satiety molecule in the hypothalamus. Nature. 2006;443:709-12 pubmed..Here we show that nesfatin, corresponding to NEFA/nucleobindin2 (NUCB2), a secreted protein of unknown function, is expressed in the appetite-control hypothalamic ..
- Stengel A, Goebel M, Wang L, Rivier J, Kobelt P, Monnikes H, et al. Central nesfatin-1 reduces dark-phase food intake and gastric emptying in rats: differential role of corticotropin-releasing factor2 receptor. Endocrinology. 2009;150:4911-9 pubmed publisher..Activation of nesfatin-1 neurons by cholecystokinin at sites regulating food intake may suggest a role in gut peptide satiation effect. ..
- Könczöl K, Bodnar I, Zelena D, Pintér O, Papp R, Palkovits M, et al. Nesfatin-1/NUCB2 may participate in the activation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in rats. Neurochem Int. 2010;57:189-97 pubmed publisher..These data provide the first evidence for possible participation of nesfatin-1/NUCB2 in the stress-axis regulation, both at the level of the brainstem and in the hypothalamus. ..
- Iwasa T, Matsuzaki T, Tungalagsuvd A, Munkhzaya M, Yiliyasi M, Kuwahara A, et al. Developmental changes in the hypothalamic mRNA levels of nucleobindin-2 (NUCB2) and their sensitivity to fasting in male and female rats. Int J Dev Neurosci. 2016;49:46-9 pubmed publisher..However, hypothalamic NUCB2 mRNA expression does not become sensitive to a negative energy balance during the neonatal to pre-pubertal period. ..
- Brodeur J, Larkin H, Boucher R, Thériault C, St Louis S, Gagnon H, et al. Calnuc binds to LRP9 and affects its endosomal sorting. Traffic. 2009;10:1098-114 pubmed publisher..This is the first report showing that Calnuc plays a role in receptor trafficking. ..
- Dore R, Levata L, Gachkar S, Jöhren O, Mittag J, Lehnert H, et al. The thermogenic effect of nesfatin-1 requires recruitment of the melanocortin system. J Endocrinol. 2017;235:111-122 pubmed publisher..Overall, we clearly demonstrate that nesfatin-1 requires the activation of the central melanocortin system to increase iBAT thermogenesis and, in turn, overall energy expenditure. ..
- Yoshimura M, Matsuura T, Ohkubo J, Maruyama T, Ishikura T, Hashimoto H, et al. A role of nesfatin-1/NucB2 in dehydration-induced anorexia. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2014;307:R225-36 pubmed publisher..These results suggested that nesfatin-1/NucB2 is a crucial peptide in dehydration-induced anorexia. ..
- Stengel A, TachÃ© Y. Role of NUCB2/Nesfatin-1 in the hypothalamic control of energy homeostasis. Horm Metab Res. 2013;45:975-9 pubmed publisher..The present review describes the current state-of-knowledge on central nesfatin-1's effects on food intake and body weight and highlights important missing links regarding cellular signaling mechanisms involved in nesfatin-1's action. ..
- Ying J, Zhang Y, Gong S, Chang Z, Zhou X, Li H, et al. Nesfatin-1 Suppresses Cardiac L-type CaÂ²âº Channels Through Melanocortin Type 4 Receptor and the Novel Protein Kinase C Theta Isoform Pathway. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2015;36:555-68 pubmed..These data suggest that NF-1 suppresses L-type Ca2+ channels via the MC4-R that couples sequentially to the Î²Î³ subunits of Gi/o-protein and the novel PKCÎ¸ isoform in adult ventricular myocytes. ..
- Szlachcic A, Majka J, Strzalka M, Szmyd J, Pajdo R, Ptak Belowska A, et al. Experimental healing of preexisting gastric ulcers induced by hormones controlling food intake ghrelin, orexin-A and nesfatin-1 is impaired under diabetic conditions. A key to understanding the diabetic gastropathy?. J Physiol Pharmacol. 2013;64:625-37 pubmed
- Gonzalez R, Perry R, Gao X, Gaidhu M, Tsushima R, Ceddia R, et al. Nutrient responsive nesfatin-1 regulates energy balance and induces glucose-stimulated insulin secretion in rats. Endocrinology. 2011;152:3628-37 pubmed publisher..6 mM) and high (16.7 mM), but not at low (2 mM), glucose concentrations. Furthermore, nesfatin-1/nucleobindin 2 release from rat pancreatic islets was stimulated by glucose...
- Tanida M, Mori M. Nesfatin-1 stimulates renal sympathetic nerve activity in rats. Neuroreport. 2011;22:309-12 pubmed publisher..Thus, the stimulating effects of nesfatin-1 administration on the sympathetic nerve activity of the kidney may depend on the central melanocortin system. ..
- Akcılar R, Ayada C, Turgut G, Turgut S. Supplementation of apelin increase plasma levels of nesfatin-1 in normal and DOCA-salt hypertensive rats. Bratisl Lek Listy. 2015;116:104-8 pubmed..This is the first report to investigate the effect of apelin administration on plasma nesfatin levels of normal and hypertensive rats (Fig. 2, Ref. 44). ..
- Garcia Galiano D, Pineda R, Ilhan T, Castellano J, Ruiz Pino F, Sanchez Garrido M, et al. Cellular distribution, regulated expression, and functional role of the anorexigenic peptide, NUCB2/nesfatin-1, in the testis. Endocrinology. 2012;153:1959-71 pubmed publisherNesfatin-1, product of the precursor NEFA/nucleobindin2 (NUCB2), was initially identified as anorectic hypothalamic neuropeptide, acting in a leptin-independent manner...
- Xu Y, Ge J, Qin G, Peng Y, Zhang C, Liu X, et al. Acute, but not chronic, stress increased the plasma concentration and hypothalamic mRNA expression of NUCB2/nesfatin-1 in rats. Neuropeptides. 2015;54:47-53 pubmed publisher..These results indicated that acute stress, but not chronic stress, increased the plasma concentration and hypothalamic mRNA expression of NUCB2/nesfatin-1 in rats. ..
- Jia F, Li X, Li T, Wu J, Xie B, Lin L. Role of nesfatin-1 in a rat model of visceral hypersensitivity. World J Gastroenterol. 2013;19:3487-93 pubmed publisher..05). Nesfatin-1 may be associated with IBS-like visceral hypersensitivity, which may be implicated in brain CRF/CRF1 signaling pathways. ..
- Yang M, Zhang Z, Wang C, Li K, Li S, Boden G, et al. Nesfatin-1 action in the brain increases insulin sensitivity through Akt/AMPK/TORC2 pathway in diet-induced insulin resistance. Diabetes. 2012;61:1959-68 pubmed publisherNesfatin-1, derived from nucleobindin 2, was recently identified as an anorexigenic signal peptide. However, its neural role in glucose homeostasis and insulin sensitivity is unknown...
- Vas S, Adori C, Könczöl K, Katai Z, Pap D, Papp R, et al. Nesfatin-1/NUCB2 as a potential new element of sleep regulation in rats. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e59809 pubmed publisher..The data designate nesfatin as a potential new factor in sleep regulation, which fact can also be relevant in the better understanding of the role of nesfatin in the pathomechanism of depression. ..
- Jego S, Salvert D, Renouard L, Mori M, Goutagny R, Luppi P, et al. Tuberal hypothalamic neurons secreting the satiety molecule Nesfatin-1 are critically involved in paradoxical (REM) sleep homeostasis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52525 pubmed publisher..This could be done through the inhibition of downstream targets comprised primarily of the local hypothalamic wake-active orexin- and histamine-containing neurons. ..
- Garcia Marcos M, Kietrsunthorn P, Wang H, Ghosh P, Farquhar M. G Protein binding sites on Calnuc (nucleobindin 1) and NUCB2 (nucleobindin 2) define a new class of G(alpha)i-regulatory motifs. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:28138-49 pubmed publisher..These findings provide the structural basis for the properties of Calnuc and NUCB2 binding to G? subunits and its regulation by calcium ions. ..
- Stengel A, Goebel Stengel M, Jawien J, Kobelt P, TACHE Y, Lambrecht N. Lipopolysaccharide increases gastric and circulating NUCB2/nesfatin-1 concentrations in rats. Peptides. 2011;32:1942-7 pubmed publisher..These changes are opposite to those of ghrelin in response to LPS supporting a differential gastric regulation of NUCB2/nesfatin-1 and ghrelin expression derived from the same cell by immune challenge. ..
- Osaki A, Shimizu H, Ishizuka N, Suzuki Y, Mori M, Inoue S. Enhanced expression of nesfatin/nucleobindin-2 in white adipose tissue of ventromedial hypothalamus-lesioned rats. Neurosci Lett. 2012;521:46-51 pubmed publisher..Further, this action may be mediated via inhibition of the sympathetic nerve activity. ..
- Maejima Y, Kumamoto K, Takenoshita S, Shimomura K. Projections from a single NUCB2/nesfatin-1 neuron in the paraventricular nucleus to different brain regions involved in feeding. Brain Struct Funct. 2016;221:4723-4731 pubmedThe anorexigenic neuropeptide NEFA/nucleobindin 2 (NUCB2)/nesfatin-1-containing neurons are distributed in the brain regions involved in feeding regulation, including the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus (PVN)...
- Xu L, Bloem B, Gaszner B, Roubos E, Kozicz T. Sex-specific effects of fasting on urocortin 1, cocaine- and amphetamine-regulated transcript peptide and nesfatin-1 expression in the rat Edinger-Westphal nucleus. Neuroscience. 2009;162:1141-9 pubmed publisher..The peptide level and mRNA of nesfatin-1 were unaffected by fasting. We conclude that npEW-neurons containing Ucn1, CART and nesfatin-1 co-express ObR, and may be involved in leptin-mediated feeding control in male rats only. ..
- Saito R, So M, Motojima Y, Matsuura T, Yoshimura M, Hashimoto H, et al. Activation of Nesfatin-1-Containing Neurones in the Hypothalamus and Brainstem by Peripheral Administration of Anorectic Hormones and Suppression of Feeding via Central Nesfatin-1 in Rats. J Neuroendocrinol. 2016;28: pubmed publisher..These results indicate that nesfatin-1-expressing neurones in the brainstem may play an important role in sensing peripheral levels of GLP-1 and leptin in addition to CCK-8, and also suppress food intake in rats. ..
- Feng H, Wang Q, Guo F, Han X, Pang M, Sun X, et al. Nesfatin-1 influences the excitability of gastric distension-responsive neurons in the ventromedial hypothalamic nucleus of rats. Physiol Res. 2017;66:335-344 pubmed..The hippocampus may participate in the modulation of nesfatin-1-mediated effects in VMH. ..
- Yosten G, Redlinger L, Samson W. Evidence for a role of endogenous nesfatin-1 in the control of water drinking. J Neuroendocrinol. 2012;24:1078-84 pubmed publisher..The results obtained in the present study suggest that locally produced nesfatin-1 may be an important component of the hypothalamic mechanisms controlling fluid and electrolyte homeostasis. ..
- Prinz P, Goebel Stengel M, Teuffel P, Rose M, Klapp B, Stengel A. Peripheral and central localization of the nesfatin-1 receptor using autoradiography in rats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016;470:521-527 pubmed publisher..Based on the distribution of nesfatin-1 autoradiography, nesfatin-1 is a pleiotropic hormone that is involved in the regulation of several homeostatic functions. ..
- Riva M, Nitert M, Voss U, Sathanoori R, Lindqvist A, Ling C, et al. Nesfatin-1 stimulates glucagon and insulin secretion and beta cell NUCB2 is reduced in human type 2 diabetic subjects. Cell Tissue Res. 2011;346:393-405 pubmed publisherNesfatin-1 is a novel anorexigenic regulatory peptide. The peptide is the N-terminal part of nucleobindin 2 (NUCB2) and is expressed in brain areas regulating feeding...
- Tian Z, Deng R, Sun G, Wei L, Kong X, Ding X, et al. Expression of gastrointestinal nesfatin-1 and gastric emptying in ventromedial hypothalamic nucleus- and ventrolateral hypothalamic nucleus-lesioned rats. World J Gastroenterol. 2014;20:6897-905 pubmed publisher..Additionally, there is a positive relationship between gastric emptying and body mass. The results of this study indicate that gastrointestinal nesfatin-1 may play a significant role in gastric mobility and energy homeostasis. ..
- García Galiano D, Navarro V, Roa J, Ruiz Pino F, Sánchez Garrido M, Pineda R, et al. The anorexigenic neuropeptide, nesfatin-1, is indispensable for normal puberty onset in the female rat. J Neurosci. 2010;30:7783-92 pubmed publisherThe hypothalamic peptide, nesfatin-1, derived from the precursor NEFA/nucleobindin 2 (NUCB2), was recently identified as anorexigenic signal, acting in a leptin-independent manner...
- Tagaya Y, Osaki A, Miura A, Okada S, Ohshima K, Hashimoto K, et al. Secreted nucleobindin-2 inhibits 3T3-L1 adipocyte differentiation. Protein Pept Lett. 2012;19:997-1004 pubmed..Taken together, these data indicate that secreted Nucleobindin-2 is a suppressor of adipocyte differentiation through inhibition of cAMP production and insulin signal. ..
- Xu Y, Zhang H, Li Q, Lao K, Wang Y. The role of nesfatin-1 expression in letrozole-induced polycystic ovaries in the rat. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2017;33:438-441 pubmed publisher..05). When taken together, these data indicated that the decrease in nesfatin-1 may contribute to the mechanism governing PCOS, and might provide a new potential target for therapies aimed at treating PCOS. ..
- Xu L, Wang Q, Guo F, Pang M, Sun X, Gao S, et al. Nesfatin-1 signaling in the basomÂ edial amygdala modulates the gastric distension-sensitive neurons discharge and decreases gastric motility via melanocortin 3/4 receptors and modified by the arcuate nucleus. Eur J Pharmacol. 2015;764:164-72 pubmed publisher..It is suggested that nesfatin-1 in the BMA plays an important role in decreasing gastric motility and the Arc may be involved in this regulation process. ..
- Garcés M, Poveda N, Sanchez E, Sánchez A, Bravo S, Vazquez M, et al. Regulation of NucB2/Nesfatin-1 throughout rat pregnancy. Physiol Behav. 2014;133:216-22 pubmed publisher..by post-translational cleavage from the N-terminus region DNA binding/EF-hand/acidic amino acid rich region (NEFA)/nucleobindin2 (NucB2) protein through proteolytic prohormone convertases...
- Katsurada K, Maejima Y, Nakata M, Kodaira M, Suyama S, Iwasaki Y, et al. Endogenous GLP-1 acts on paraventricular nucleus to suppress feeding: projection from nucleus tractus solitarius and activation of corticotropin-releasing hormone, nesfatin-1 and oxytocin neurons. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014;451:276-81 pubmed publisher..This study reveals a neuronal basis for the anorexigenic effect of endogenous GLP-1 in the brain. ..
- Roy D, Mandal S, Sen G, Mukhopadhyay S, Biswas T. 14-Deoxyandrographolide desensitizes hepatocytes to tumour necrosis factor-alpha-induced apoptosis through calcium-dependent tumour necrosis factor receptor superfamily member 1A release via the NO/cGMP pathway. Br J Pharmacol. 2010;160:1823-43 pubmed publisher..This can be used as a strategy against cytokine-mediated hepatocyte apoptosis in liver dysfunctions. ..
- Yamawaki H, Takahashi M, Mukohda M, Morita T, Okada M, Hara Y. A novel adipocytokine, nesfatin-1 modulates peripheral arterial contractility and blood pressure in rats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;418:676-81 pubmed publisher..The results are the first to demonstrate that nesfatin-1 modulates blood pressure through directly acting on peripheral arterial resistance. ..
- Senín L, Al Massadi O, Barja Fernandez S, Folgueira C, Castelao C, Tovar S, et al. Regulation of NUCB2/nesfatin-1 production in rat's stomach and adipose tissue is dependent on age, testosterone levels and lactating status. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2015;411:105-12 pubmed publisherNesfatin-1, which is derived from the NEFA/nucleobindin 2 (NUCB2) precursor, was recently identified as an anorexigenic peptide that is produced in several tissues including the hypothalamus...
- Cheng Y, Lv H, Wang X, Song G. [Expression of nesfatin-1/NUCB2 and ghrelin in gastric mucosa of rats with intrauterine growth retardation]. Zhongguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi. 2014;16:1051-6 pubmed..Nesfatin-1 and ghrelin are co-expressed in the gastric mucosa of rats with IUGR after birth and interact with each other to produce long-term nutritional regulation. ..
- Bonnet M, Ouelaa W, Tillement V, Trouslard J, Jean A, Gonzalez B, et al. Gastric distension activates NUCB2/nesfatin-1-expressing neurons in the nucleus of the solitary tract. Regul Pept. 2013;187:17-23 pubmed publisher..Nesfatin-1 was recently identified as a neuropeptide cleaved from the N-terminal part of NEFA/nucleobindin 2 precursor (NUCB2)...
- Dettlaff Pokora A, Sledzinski T, Swierczynski J. Upregulation of Pnpla2 and Abhd5 and downregulation of G0s2 gene expression in mesenteric white adipose tissue as a potential reason for elevated concentration of circulating NEFA after removal of retroperitoneal, epididymal, and inguinal adipose tis. Mol Cell Biochem. 2016;422:21-29 pubmedElevated concentrations of circulating non-esterified fatty acids (NEFA) were reported in (a) humans with lipodystrophy, (b) humans following bariatric surgery, and (c) transgenic mice with reduced amounts of adipose tissue...
- Tagaya Y, Miura A, Okada S, Ohshima K, Mori M. Nucleobindin-2 is a positive modulator of EGF-dependent signals leading to enhancement of cell growth and suppression of adipocyte differentiation. Endocrinology. 2012;153:3308-19 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data indicate that nucleobindin-2 regulates EGF-stimulated MAPK kinase/Erk signaling, cell proliferation, and adipocyte differentiation. ..
- Sarac M, Bakal U, Tartar T, Kuloglu T, Yardim M, Artaş G, et al. Ghrelin and NUCB2/Nesfatin-1 expression in unilateral testicular torsion-induced rats with and without N-acetylcysteine. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand). 2017;63:40-45 pubmed publisher..determines the degree of testicular damage; however, its effects on the expression of octanoylated ghrelin and nucleobindin 2 (NUCB2) /nesfatin-1 synthetized from testicular tissue remain unclear...
- Zhang A, Li X, Jiang C, Lin L, Shi R, Chen J, et al. Expression of nesfatin-1/NUCB2 in rodent digestive system. World J Gastroenterol. 2010;16:1735-41 pubmed..To observe the regional distributions and morphological features of nesfatin-1/nucleobindin-2 (NUCB2) immunoreactive (IR) cells in the rodent digestive system...
- Cao X, Zhou X, Cao Y, Liu X, Zhou L. Expression of NUCB2/nesfatin-1 in the taste buds of rats. Endocr J. 2016;63:37-45 pubmed publisherNesfatin-1, an anorexigenic peptide derived from nucleobindin 2 (NUCB2), is closely involved in feeding behavior, glycometabolism, and satiety regulation...
- Liu Z, Wang F, Li Z, Qi J, Xu W, Zhang P, et al. [Expression of neuropeptides ghrelin and Nesfatin-1 in kainic acid kindling rats]. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2011;91:496-500 pubmed..It may offer a simple, sensitive and noninvasive method of diagnosing and treating epilepsy. ..