Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: P2rx7
Description: purinergic receptor P2X 7
Alias: P2X purinoceptor 7, ATP receptor, P2X7 purinoceptor, P2Z receptor, purinergic receptor P2X, ligand-gated ion channel, 7, purinergic receptor P2X7
- Hervás C, Pérez Sen R, Miras Portugal M. Presence of diverse functional P2X receptors in rat cerebellar synaptic terminals. Biochem Pharmacol. 2005;70:770-85 pubmed..This study reports the presence of functional P2X3 and P2X7 receptors at synaptic sites, which provides complexity and regulatory possibilities to the cerebellar neurotransmission. ..
- Ke H, Qi H, Weidema A, Zhang Q, Panupinthu N, Crawford D, et al. Deletion of the P2X7 nucleotide receptor reveals its regulatory roles in bone formation and resorption. Mol Endocrinol. 2003;17:1356-67 pubmed..Thus, the P2X7 receptor represents a novel therapeutic target for the management of skeletal disorders such as osteoporosis. ..
- Pelegrin P, Surprenant A. Pannexin-1 mediates large pore formation and interleukin-1beta release by the ATP-gated P2X7 receptor. EMBO J. 2006;25:5071-82 pubmed
- Jacques Silva M, Rodnight R, Lenz G, Liao Z, Kong Q, Tran M, et al. P2X7 receptors stimulate AKT phosphorylation in astrocytes. Br J Pharmacol. 2004;141:1106-17 pubmed
- Solle M, Labasi J, Perregaux D, Stam E, Petrushova N, Koller B, et al. Altered cytokine production in mice lacking P2X(7) receptors. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:125-32 pubmed..Together these results demonstrate that P2X(7)R activation can provide a signal that leads to maturation and release of IL-1 beta and initiation of a cytokine cascade. ..
- Tsao H, Chiu P, Sun S. PKC-dependent ERK phosphorylation is essential for P2X7 receptor-mediated neuronal differentiation of neural progenitor cells. Cell Death Dis. 2013;4:e751 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the activation of P2X7R in NPCs induced neuronal differentiation through a PKC-ERK1/2 signaling pathway. ..
- Surprenant A, Rassendren F, Kawashima E, North R, Buell G. The cytolytic P2Z receptor for extracellular ATP identified as a P2X receptor (P2X7). Science. 1996;272:735-8 pubmedThe P2Z receptor is responsible for adenosine triphosphate (ATP)-dependent lysis of macrophages through the formation of membrane pores permeable to large molecules...
- Morelli A, Chiozzi P, Chiesa A, Ferrari D, Sanz J, Falzoni S, et al. Extracellular ATP causes ROCK I-dependent bleb formation in P2X7-transfected HEK293 cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:2655-64 pubmedThe P2X7 ATP receptor mediates the cytotoxic effect of extracellular ATP. P2X7-dependent cell death is heralded by dramatic plasma membrane bleb formation...
- Suzuki T, Hide I, Ido K, Kohsaka S, Inoue K, Nakata Y. Production and release of neuroprotective tumor necrosis factor by P2X7 receptor-activated microglia. J Neurosci. 2004;24:1-7 pubmed..Finally, our data suggest that P2X7 receptor-activated microglia protect neurons against glutamate toxicity primarily because they are able to release TNF. ..
- Chen Y, Zhang X, Wang C, Li G, Gu Y, Huang L. Activation of P2X7 receptors in glial satellite cells reduces pain through downregulation of P2X3 receptors in nociceptive neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:16773-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, direct blocking P2X7Rs, as proposed before, may not be the best strategy for reducing pain or lessening neuronal degeneration because it also disrupts the protective function of P2X7Rs. ..
- Wilson H, Francis S, Dower S, Crossman D. Secretion of intracellular IL-1 receptor antagonist (type 1) is dependent on P2X7 receptor activation. J Immunol. 2004;173:1202-8 pubmed..These data support a general role for the P2X(7)R in the release of leaderless cytokines into the extracellular medium, and indicate how icIL-1ra1 may act upon its extracellular target, the IL-1R. ..
- Barros Barbosa A, Lobo M, Ferreirinha F, Correia de SÃ¡ P, Cordeiro J. P2X7 receptor activation downmodulates Na(+)-dependent high-affinity GABA and glutamate transport into rat brain cortex synaptosomes. Neuroscience. 2015;306:74-90 pubmed publisher..Interference with amino-acid transport efficacy may constitute a novel target for therapeutic management of cortical excitability. ..
- Ponnusamy M, Liu N, Gong R, Yan H, Zhuang S. ERK pathway mediates P2X7 expression and cell death in renal interstitial fibroblasts exposed to necrotic renal epithelial cells. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2011;301:F650-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data reveal that necrotic RPTC induces P2X7 expression in renal fibroblasts through activation of the MEK1-ERK1/2-Elk1 signaling pathway...
- Itoh K, Chiang C, Li Z, Lee J, Dostrovsky J, Sessle B. Central sensitization of nociceptive neurons in rat medullary dorsal horn involves purinergic P2X7 receptors. Neuroscience. 2011;192:721-31 pubmed publisher..These novel findings suggest that activation of P2X7 receptors in vivo may be involved in the development of central sensitization in an acute inflammatory pain model. ..
- Chen L, Brosnan C. Exacerbation of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in P2X7R-/- mice: evidence for loss of apoptotic activity in lymphocytes. J Immunol. 2006;176:3115-26 pubmed..From these data we conclude that enhanced susceptibility of P2X7R-/- mice to EAE reflects a loss of apoptotic activity in lymphocytes, supporting an important role for this receptor in lymphocyte homeostasis. ..
- Rassendren F, Buell G, Virginio C, Collo G, North R, Surprenant A. The permeabilizing ATP receptor, P2X7. Cloning and expression of a human cDNA. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:5482-6 pubmed..Expression of chimeric molecules indicated that some of the differences between the rat and human receptor could be reversed by exchanging the intracellular C-terminal domain of the proteins. ..
- Wu X, Wang Y, Wang S, Xu R, Lv X. Purinergic P2X7 receptor mediates acetaldehyde-induced hepatic stellate cells activation via PKC-dependent GSK3? pathway. Int Immunopharmacol. 2017;43:164-171 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggested that purinergic P2X7R mediated acetaldehyde-induced activation of HSCs via PKC-dependent GSK3? pathway, which maybe a novel target for limiting HSCs activation. ..
- Miyoshi H, Yamaoka K, Urabe S, Kodama M, Kudo Y. Functional expression of purinergic P2X7 receptors in pregnant rat myometrium. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2010;298:R1117-24 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed into the P2X7 receptor as a therapeutic target in abnormal uterine contraction, as a possible treatment for premature labor. ..
- Le Stunff H, Raymond M. P2X7 receptor-mediated phosphatidic acid production delays ATP-induced pore opening and cytolysis of RAW 264.7 macrophages. Cell Signal. 2007;19:1909-18 pubmed..This will be important in the case of P2X7R-induced killing of intracellular bacteria which is lately associated with macrophage death, limiting the potency of ATPe to eliminate pathogenic bacteria. ..
- Chen Y, Donnelly Roberts D, Namovic M, Gintant G, Cox B, Jarvis M, et al. Pharmacological characterization of P2X7 receptors in rat peritoneal cells. Inflamm Res. 2005;54:119-26 pubmed..Activation of P2X(7) receptors on RPC resulted in IL-1 beta secretion, which was inhibited by PPADS. RPC express functional P2X(7) receptors that form pores and mediate the release of IL-1beta. ..
- Xu H, Wu B, Jiang F, Xiong S, Zhang B, Li G, et al. High fatty acids modulate P2X(7) expression and IL-6 release via the p38 MAPK pathway in PC12 cells. Brain Res Bull. 2013;94:63-70 pubmed publisher..Therefore, high concentrations of FFAs increased the expression of P2X7 in PC12 cells via activation of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) signaling pathway, which contributed to P2X7-mediated IL-6 release from PC12 cells. ..
- Maraula G, Lana D, Coppi E, Gentile F, Mello T, Melani A, et al. The selective antagonism of P2X7 and P2Y1 receptors prevents synaptic failure and affects cell proliferation induced by oxygen and glucose deprivation in rat dentate gyrus. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e115273 pubmed publisher..At later stages after the insult, P2Y1 receptors might play an additional and different role in promoting cell proliferation and maturation in the DG. ..
- Vessey D, Li L, Kelley M. Pannexin-I/P2X 7 purinergic receptor channels mediate the release of cardioprotectants induced by ischemic pre- and postconditioning. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther. 2010;15:190-5 pubmed publisher..Inhibitors of other P2X receptors, P2Y receptors, or connexins did not affect IPC. We conclude that a pannexin-1/P2X(7) channel is responsible for the release of cardioprotectants induced by ischemic pre- and postconditioning. ..
- Urabe S, Miyoshi H, Fujiwara H, Yamaoka K, Kudo Y. Enhanced expression of P2X4 and P2X7 purinergic receptors in the myometrium of pregnant rats in preterm delivery models. Reprod Sci. 2009;16:1186-92 pubmed publisher..4 and 18.6 times the control values, respectively. These findings suggest that increased P2X4 and P2X7 receptor expression in pregnant rats is related to uterine contraction leading to term and preterm delivery. ..
- Nobbio L, Sturla L, Fiorese F, Usai C, Basile G, Moreschi I, et al. P2X7-mediated increased intracellular calcium causes functional derangement in Schwann cells from rats with CMT1A neuropathy. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:23146-58 pubmed publisher..interfering RNA, we demonstrate that the high [Ca(2+)](i) is caused by a PMP22-related overexpression of the P2X7 purinoceptor/channel leading to influx of extracellular Ca(2+) into CMT1A SC...
- Ochi ishi R, Nagata K, Inoue T, Tozaki Saitoh H, Tsuda M, Inoue K. Involvement of the chemokine CCL3 and the purinoceptor P2X7 in the spinal cord in paclitaxel-induced mechanical allodynia. Mol Pain. 2014;10:53 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest a contribution of CCL3 and P2X7Rs in the SDH to paclitaxel-induced allodynia and may provide new therapeutic targets for paclitaxel-induced painful neuropathy. ..
- Lu H, Burns D, Garnier P, Wei G, Zhu K, Ying W. P2X7 receptors mediate NADH transport across the plasma membranes of astrocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;362:946-50 pubmed..Our study also suggests a novel approach for manipulating intracellular NADH and NAD+ levels. ..
- Zhao Y, Cheng S, Ou S, Xiao Z, He W, Jian Cui -, et al. Effect of hypobaric hypoxia on the P2X receptors of pyramidal cells in the immature rat hippocampus CA1 sub-field. Brain Inj. 2012;26:282-90 pubmed publisher..These findings supported the possibility that the function of P2X receptors was sensitive to HH damage and long-term function decrease should result in the expression increase of P2X receptors. ..
- Barbieri R, Alloisio S, Ferroni S, Nobile M. Differential crosstalk between P2X7 and arachidonic acid in activation of mitogen-activated protein kinases. Neurochem Int. 2008;53:255-62 pubmed publisher..The result that ERK1/2-mediated transduction pathway is synergistically modulated by ATP and AA signalling depicts possible novel pharmacological targets for interfering with pathological activation of astroglial cells. ..
- Kim J, Kim D, Jin Ryu H, Il Kim W, Kim M, Won Kim D, et al. The effect of P2X7 receptor activation on nuclear factor-?B phosphorylation induced by status epilepticus in the rat hippocampus. Hippocampus. 2013;23:500-14 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that P2X7 functions may be involved in the regulation of SE-induced reactive astrocytes and neuronal degeneration via NF-?B phosphorylations in response to pilocarpine-induced SE in the rat hippocampus. ..
- Kerur N, Hirano Y, Tarallo V, Fowler B, Bastos Carvalho A, Yasuma T, et al. TLR-independent and P2X7-dependent signaling mediate Alu RNA-induced NLRP3 inflammasome activation in geographic atrophy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013;54:7395-401 pubmed publisher..We studied wild-type (WT) C57Bl/6J, P2rx7(-/-), Nfkb1(-/-), and Tlr23479(-/-) mice...
- Panupinthu N, Rogers J, Zhao L, Solano Flores L, Possmayer F, Sims S, et al. P2X7 receptors on osteoblasts couple to production of lysophosphatidic acid: a signaling axis promoting osteogenesis. J Cell Biol. 2008;181:859-71 pubmed publisher..b>P2rx7-/- mice exhibit diminished appositional growth of long bones and impaired responses to mechanical loading...
- Yu Y, Ugawa S, Ueda T, Ishida Y, Inoue K, Kyaw Nyunt A, et al. Cellular localization of P2X7 receptor mRNA in the rat brain. Brain Res. 2008;1194:45-55 pubmed publisher..The double staining experiments demonstrate that neurons, oligodendrocytes, and microglia expressed P2X7 receptor mRNAs. These findings suggest that P2X7 receptors may play a variety of roles in a wide range of cell types in the brain. ..
- Taylor S, Gonzalez Begne M, Dewhurst S, Chimini G, Higgins C, Melvin J, et al. Sequential shrinkage and swelling underlie P2X7-stimulated lymphocyte phosphatidylserine exposure and death. J Immunol. 2008;180:300-8 pubmed..We demonstrate that cell volume regulation during lymphocyte death stimulated via the purinergic receptor P2X7 is distinct from both...
- Klaft Z, Schulz S, Maslarova A, Gabriel S, Heinemann U, Gerevich Z. Extracellular ATP differentially affects epileptiform activity via purinergic P2X7 and adenosine A1 receptors in naive and chronic epileptic rats. Epilepsia. 2012;53:1978-86 pubmed publisher..In addition, our data suggest that P2X7 receptor antagonists have a minor antiepileptic effect. ..
- Dartt D, Hodges R. Interaction of alpha1D-adrenergic and P2X(7) receptors in the rat lacrimal gland and the effect on intracellular [Ca2+] and protein secretion. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52:5720-9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, ?(1D)-AR compared with P2X(7) receptors use different cellular mechanisms to increase [Ca(2+)](i) and cause protein secretion. ..
- Le Stunff H, Auger R, Kanellopoulos J, Raymond M. The Pro-451 to Leu polymorphism within the C-terminal tail of P2X7 receptor impairs cell death but not phospholipase D activation in murine thymocytes. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:16918-26 pubmed..Finally, the inhibition of ATPe-induced PC-PLD stimulation does not affect thymocytes death. Altogether, these data suggest that P2X7R-induced thymocytes death is independent of the stimulation of PC-PLD activity. ..
- Smart M, Gu B, Panchal R, Wiley J, Cromer B, Williams D, et al. P2X7 receptor cell surface expression and cytolytic pore formation are regulated by a distal C-terminal region. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:8853-60 pubmed
- Gandelman M, Peluffo H, Beckman J, Cassina P, Barbeito L. Extracellular ATP and the P2X7 receptor in astrocyte-mediated motor neuron death: implications for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. J Neuroinflammation. 2010;7:33 pubmed publisher..Remarkably, the neurotoxic phenotype of SOD1G93A astrocytes depended upon basal activation the P2X(7) receptor. Thus, pharmacological inhibition of P2X(7) receptor might reduce neuroinflammation in ALS through astrocytes. ..
- Moores T, Hasdemir B, Vega Riveroll L, Deuchars J, Parson S. Properties of presynaptic P2X7-like receptors at the neuromuscular junction. Brain Res. 2005;1034:40-50 pubmed..We conclude that a P2X7-like receptor is present at mouse motor nerve terminals, and that their activation promotes vesicle release. ..
- Sikora A, Liu J, Brosnan C, Buell G, Chessel I, Bloom B. Cutting edge: purinergic signaling regulates radical-mediated bacterial killing mechanisms in macrophages through a P2X7-independent mechanism. J Immunol. 1999;163:558-61 pubmed
- Guo Y, Mishra A, Weng T, Chintagari N, Wang Y, Zhao C, et al. Wnt3a mitigates acute lung injury by reducing P2X7 receptor-mediated alveolar epithelial type I cell death. Cell Death Dis. 2014;5:e1286 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Wnt3a overrides the effect of P2X7R on the Wnt/?-catenin signaling to prevent the AEC I death and restrict the severity of ALI. ..
- Carver K, Lin C, Bowes Rickman C, Yang D. Lack of the P2X7 receptor protects against AMD-like defects and microparticle accumulation in a chronic oxidative stress-induced mouse model of AMD. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;482:81-86 pubmed publisher..This work could potentially lead to novel therapies for AMD and other oxidative stress-driven diseases. ..
- Marichal N, Fabbiani G, TRUJILLO CENOZ O, RUSSO R. Purinergic signalling in a latent stem cell niche of the rat spinal cord. Purinergic Signal. 2016;12:331-41 pubmed publisher..We speculate that the intracellular Ca(2+) signalling triggered by P2X7 receptor activation may be an epigenetic mechanism to modulate the behaviour of progenitors in response to ATP released after injury. ..
- Deplano S, Cook H, Russell R, Franchi L, Schneiter S, Bhangal G, et al. P2X7 receptor-mediated Nlrp3-inflammasome activation is a genetic determinant of macrophage-dependent crescentic glomerulonephritis. J Leukoc Biol. 2013;93:127-34 pubmed publisherb>P2RX7, a mediator of IL-1? and IL-18 processing and release, is a ligand-gated cation channel that is expressed by macrophages. In experimental Crgn, P2RX7 deficiency attenuates renal injury, but the underlying mechanism is unknown...
- Franco M, Bautista Pérez R, Cano Martínez A, Pacheco U, Santamaría J, del Valle Mondragon L, et al. Physiopathological implications of P2X1 and P2X7 receptors in regulation of glomerular hemodynamics in angiotensin II-induced hypertension. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2017;313:F9-F19 pubmed publisher
- Michel A, Chambers L, Walter D. Negative and positive allosteric modulators of the P2X(7) receptor. Br J Pharmacol. 2008;153:737-50 pubmed..These compounds should provide valuable tools for mechanistic studies on P2X(7) receptors. ..
- Grygorowicz T, Struzynska L, Sulkowski G, Chalimoniuk M, Sulejczak D. Temporal expression of P2X7 purinergic receptor during the course of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Neurochem Int. 2010;57:823-9 pubmed publisher..This suggests the early involvement of this kind of receptor into pathological mechanisms leading for symptoms characteristic for EAE. ..
- Bradley H, Liu X, Collins V, Owide J, Goli G, Smith M, et al. Identification of an intracellular microdomain of the P2X7 receptor that is crucial in basolateral membrane targeting in epithelial cells. FEBS Lett. 2010;584:4740-4 pubmed publisher..Our results show basolateral membrane targeting of the P2X(7)R in epithelial cells and that the intracellular C-terminal microdomain P582-Q587 is crucial in this process. ..
- Neary J, Shi Y, Kang Y, Tran M. Opposing effects of P2X(7) and P2Y purine/pyrimidine-preferring receptors on proliferation of astrocytes induced by fibroblast growth factor-2: implications for CNS development, injury, and repair. J Neurosci Res. 2008;86:3096-105 pubmed publisher..These trophic actions of P2X(7) and P2Y purine/pyrimidine receptors may contribute to the regulation of CNS development, adult neurogenesis, and the response of astrocytes to injury. ..
- Granado M, Amor S, Montoya J, Monge L, FernÃ¡ndez N, GarcÃa VillalÃ³n Ã. Altered expression of P2Y2 and P2X7 purinergic receptors in the isolated rat heart mediates ischemia-reperfusion injury. Vascul Pharmacol. 2015;73:96-103 pubmed publisher..This may contribute to myocardial injury in this condition. ..
- Sun L, Gao J, Zhao M, Cui J, Li Y, Yang X, et al. A novel cognitive impairment mechanism that astrocytic p-connexin 43 promotes neuronic autophagy via activation of P2X7R and down-regulation of GLT-1 expression in the hippocampus following traumatic brain injury in rats. Behav Brain Res. 2015;291:315-324 pubmed publisher..Therefore, control of this communication may be serve as therapeutic strategies for intervention against TBI. ..
- Guo C, Masin M, Qureshi O, Murrell Lagnado R. Evidence for functional P2X4/P2X7 heteromeric receptors. Mol Pharmacol. 2007;72:1447-56 pubmedThe cytolytic ionotropic ATP receptor P2X7 has several important roles in immune cell regulation, such as cytokine release, apoptosis, and microbial killing...
- Garcia Marcos M, Fontanils U, Aguirre A, Pochet S, Dehaye J, Marino A. Role of sodium in mitochondrial membrane depolarization induced by P2X7 receptor activation in submandibular glands. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:5407-13 pubmed..It is concluded that the activation of P2X(7) receptors depolarizes the mitochondrial membrane. The uptake of extracellular sodium is necessary but not sufficient to induce this response. ..
- Tu G, Zou L, Liu S, Wu B, Lv Q, Wang S, et al. Long noncoding NONRATT021972 siRNA normalized abnormal sympathetic activity mediated by the upregulation of P2X7 receptor in superior cervical ganglia after myocardial ischemia. Purinergic Signal. 2016;12:521-35 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that NONRATT021972 siRNA could decrease the upregulation of the P2X7 receptor and improve the abnormal changes in cardiac function after myocardial ischemia. ..
- Zhou D, Chen M, Zhang Y, Zhao Z. Involvement of spinal microglial P2X7 receptor in generation of tolerance to morphine analgesia in rats. J Neurosci. 2010;30:8042-7 pubmed publisher..Once morphine analgesic tolerance is established, it was no longer affected by intrathecal BBG. Together, our results suggest that spinal P2X(7)R is involved in the induction but not maintenance of morphine tolerance. ..
- Lemaire I, Falzoni S, Leduc N, Zhang B, Pellegatti P, Adinolfi E, et al. Involvement of the purinergic P2X7 receptor in the formation of multinucleated giant cells. J Immunol. 2006;177:7257-65 pubmed..Our study also provides evidence suggesting that stimulation of the P2X7 receptor pathway in MA may mediate increased formation of MGC during chronic inflammatory reactions...
- Perez Medrano A, Donnelly Roberts D, Honore P, Hsieh G, Namovic M, Peddi S, et al. Discovery and biological evaluation of novel cyanoguanidine P2X(7) antagonists with analgesic activity in a rat model of neuropathic pain. J Med Chem. 2009;52:3366-76 pubmed publisher..These results suggest an important role of P2X(7) receptors in neuropathic pain and therefore a potential use of P2X(7) antagonists as novel therapeutic tools for the treatment of this type of pain. ..
- Liu J, Gao X, Ni W, Li J. Effects of propofol on P2X7 receptors and the secretion of tumor necrosis factor-? in cultured astrocytes. Clin Exp Med. 2012;12:31-7 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that in clinically relevant concentrations, propofol increases the activity of P2X7 receptors in activated astrocytes, but this does not contribute to the downregulation of the secretion of TNF-?. ..
- Sugiyama T, Kawamura H, Yamanishi S, Kobayashi M, Katsumura K, Puro D. Regulation of P2X7-induced pore formation and cell death in pericyte-containing retinal microvessels. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2005;288:C568-76 pubmed..Conversely, dysfunction of these protective mechanisms may be a previously unrecognized cause of cell death within the retinal microvasculature. ..
- Denlinger L, Fisette P, Sommer J, Watters J, Prabhu U, Dubyak G, et al. Cutting edge: the nucleotide receptor P2X7 contains multiple protein- and lipid-interaction motifs including a potential binding site for bacterial lipopolysaccharide. J Immunol. 2001;167:1871-6 pubmed..7 macrophages. Collectively, these data suggest that the C-terminal domain of P2X7 may directly coordinate several signal transduction events related to macrophage function and LPS action. ..
- Marin Garcia P, Sánchez Nogueiro J, Gomez Villafuertes R, Leon D, Miras Portugal M. Synaptic terminals from mice midbrain exhibit functional P2X7 receptor. Neuroscience. 2008;151:361-73 pubmed..These biochemical and pharmacological experiments are consistent with the presence of a functional P2X(7) receptor in wild type mice midbrain, and the existence of a less efficient "P2X(7)-like" receptor in the KO model. ..
- Papp L, Vizi E, Sperlagh B. P2X7 receptor mediated phosphorylation of p38MAP kinase in the hippocampus. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;355:568-74 pubmed..Consequently, we suggest that P2X7Rs and p38 MAPK are involved in the stimulatory effect of ATP on glutamate release in the hippocampal slices of WT mice. ..
- Bradley H, Baldwin J, Goli G, Johnson B, Zou J, Sivaprasadarao A, et al. Residues 155 and 348 contribute to the determination of P2X7 receptor function via distinct mechanisms revealed by single-nucleotide polymorphisms. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:8176-87 pubmed publisher..Such interpretations are consistent with the locations of the residues in the structural model of the hP2X(7) receptor. ..
- Mishra A, Chintagari N, Guo Y, Weng T, Su L, Liu L. Purinergic P2X7 receptor regulates lung surfactant secretion in a paracrine manner. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:657-68 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the activation of P2X(7)R increases surfactant secretion by releasing ATP from AEC I and subsequently stimulating P2Y(2) receptors in AEC II. ..
- Cheung K, Coutinho Silva R, Chan W, Burnstock G. Early expression of adenosine 5'-triphosphate-gated P2X7 receptors in the developing rat pancreas. Pancreas. 2007;35:164-8 pubmed..The possible functional significance of these changes is discussed. ..
- Aswad F, Dennert G. P2X7 receptor expression levels determine lethal effects of a purine based danger signal in T lymphocytes. Cell Immunol. 2006;243:58-65 pubmed..Experiments show that spontaneous T cell proliferation is somewhat higher in cells expressing P2X(7)Rs, but this effect we suggest is caused by P2X(7)R expression on accessory cells. ..
- Atkinson L, Batten T, Moores T, Varoqui H, Erickson J, Deuchars J. Differential co-localisation of the P2X7 receptor subunit with vesicular glutamate transporters VGLUT1 and VGLUT2 in rat CNS. Neuroscience. 2004;123:761-8 pubmed
- Sánchez Nogueiro J, Marín García P, Miras Portugal M. Characterization of a functional P2X(7)-like receptor in cerebellar granule neurons from P2X(7) knockout mice. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:3783-8 pubmed..Functional calcium imaging experiments in cultured granule neurons from P2X(7) knockout cerebella show the existence of a functional P2X(7)-like receptor that keeps some of the properties of the genuine receptor. ..
- Aswad F, Kawamura H, Dennert G. High sensitivity of CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells to extracellular metabolites nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide and ATP: a role for P2X7 receptors. J Immunol. 2005;175:3075-83 pubmed..Consistent with this, P2X7R gene-deleted mice possess increased levels of forkhead/winged helix transcription factor gene-expressing CD4+CD25+ cells. ..
- Codocedo J, Godoy J, Poblete M, Inestrosa N, Huidobro Toro J. ATP induces NO production in hippocampal neurons by P2X(7) receptor activation independent of glutamate signaling. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e57626 pubmed publisher..In sum, exogenous ATP elicited NO production in hippocampal neurons independently of NMDA receptor activity. ..
- Bianco F, Pravettoni E, Colombo A, Schenk U, Moller T, Matteoli M, et al. Astrocyte-derived ATP induces vesicle shedding and IL-1 beta release from microglia. J Immunol. 2005;174:7268-77 pubmed..Our data identify astrocyte-derived ATP as the endogenous factor responsible for microvesicle shedding in microglia and reveal the mechanisms by which astrocyte-derived ATP triggers IL-1beta release from these cells. ..
- Amoroso F, Falzoni S, Adinolfi E, Ferrari D, Di Virgilio F. The P2X7 receptor is a key modulator of aerobic glycolysis. Cell Death Dis. 2012;3:e370 pubmed publisher..These data show that the P2X7R has an intrinsic ability to reprogram cell metabolism to meet the needs imposed by adverse environmental conditions. ..
- Vessey D, Li L, Kelley M. Ischemic preconditioning requires opening of pannexin-1/P2X(7) channels not only during preconditioning but again after index ischemia at full reperfusion. Mol Cell Biochem. 2011;351:77-84 pubmed publisher..This correlates with an inability to generate phospho-Akt at reperfusion. IPC prevents this loss and thereby primes the cell for response to cardioprotectants released at full reperfusion. ..
- Franke H, Klimke K, Brinckmann U, Grosche J, Francke M, Sperlagh B, et al. P2X(7) receptor-mRNA and -protein in the mouse retina; changes during retinal degeneration in BALBCrds mice. Neurochem Int. 2005;47:235-42 pubmed..Hence, we suggest that, in BALBCrds mice, an early up-regulation of neuronal P2X(7) receptors may cause injury of retinal neurons and thereby functionally contribute to the retinal damage. ..
- Alvarez A, Lagos Cabré R, Kong M, Cárdenas A, Burgos Bravo F, Schneider P, et al. Integrin-mediated transactivation of P2X7R via hemichannel-dependent ATP release stimulates astrocyte migration. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1863:2175-88 pubmed publisher..These findings uncover a hitherto unrecognized role for hemichannels in the regulation of astrocyte migration via P2X7R transactivation induced by integrin-mediated ATP release. ..
- Qin S, Chen Q, Liu C, Xu C. [Naringin againsts learning and memory dysfunction of rats induced by intraventricular perfusion with HIV-1 glycoprotein 120 (gp120)]. Xi Bao Yu Fen Zi Mian Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2016;32:891-5 pubmed..Conclusion Naringin may againsts learning and memory dysfunction induced by gp120, which may counter the up-regulated expression of the P2X7 receptor in the hippocampus of rats. ..
- Wei W, Ryu J, Choi H, McLarnon J. Expression and function of the P2X(7) receptor in rat C6 glioma cells. Cancer Lett. 2008;260:79-87 pubmed..In a scratch-wound migration assay, the P2X7R was shown to regulate cell mobility. The overall results suggest that P2X7R activation in C6 is linked with increased pro-inflammatory factors and tumor cell migration. ..
- Aoyama R, Okada Y, Yokota S, Yasui Y, Fukuda K, Shinozaki Y, et al. Spatiotemporal and anatomical analyses of P2X receptor-mediated neuronal and glial processing of sensory signals in the rat dorsal horn. Pain. 2011;152:2085-97 pubmed publisher..Astrocytes are involved in sensitization of sensory network activity more importantly in the superficial than in the deep layer. ..
- Coutinho Silva R, Parsons M, Robson T, Lincoln J, Burnstock G. P2X and P2Y purinoceptor expression in pancreas from streptozotocin-diabetic rats. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2003;204:141-54 pubmed..P2Y1 and P2Y2 receptor expression was also found in pancreatic duct cells and P2X1, P2X2, P2Y1 and P2Y2 receptors were identified in small blood vessels. ..
- Ortega F, Pérez Sen R, Morente V, Delicado E, Miras Portugal M. P2X7, NMDA and BDNF receptors converge on GSK3 phosphorylation and cooperate to promote survival in cerebellar granule neurons. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2010;67:1723-33 pubmed publisher..These results show the function of ATP in amplifying neuroprotective actions of glutamate and neurotrophins, and support the role of GSK3 as an important convergence point for these survival promoting factors in granule neurons. ..