Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Nlgn3
Description: neuroligin 3
Alias: neuroligin-3, gliotactin homolog
- Fekete C, Chiou T, Miralles C, Harris R, Fiondella C, LoTurco J, et al. In vivo clonal overexpression of neuroligin 3 and neuroligin 2 in neurons of the rat cerebral cortex: Differential effects on GABAergic synapses and neuronal migration. J Comp Neurol. 2015;523:1359-78 pubmed publisherWe studied the effect of clonal overexpression of neuroligin 3 (NL3) or neuroligin 2 (NL2) in the adult rat cerebral cortex following in utero electroporation (IUEP) at embryonic stage E14...
- Yamakawa H, Oyama S, Mitsuhashi H, Sasagawa N, Uchino S, Kohsaka S, et al. Neuroligins 3 and 4X interact with syntrophin-gamma2, and the interactions are affected by autism-related mutations. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;355:41-6 pubmed..SNTG2 also bound to NL4X and NL4Y. Interestingly, the binding was influenced by autism-related mutations, implying that the impaired interaction between NLs and SNTG2 contributes to the etiology of autism. ..
- Ichtchenko K, Nguyen T, Sudhof T. Structures, alternative splicing, and neurexin binding of multiple neuroligins. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:2676-82 pubmed..Thus, neuroligins constitute a multigene family of brain-specific proteins with distinct isoforms that may have overlapping functions in mediating recognition processes between neurons. ..
- Comoletti D, De Jaco A, Jennings L, Flynn R, Gaietta G, Tsigelny I, et al. The Arg451Cys-neuroligin-3 mutation associated with autism reveals a defect in protein processing. J Neurosci. 2004;24:4889-93 pubmed..Our findings reveal a cellular phenotype and loss of function for a congenital mutation associated with autistic spectrum disorders. ..
- Ulbrich L, Favaloro F, Trobiani L, Marchetti V, Patel V, Pascucci T, et al. Autism-associated R451C mutation in neuroligin3 leads to activation of the unfolded protein response in a PC12 Tet-On inducible system. Biochem J. 2016;473:423-34 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data show that mutant R451C neuroligin3 activates the UPR in a novel cell model system, suggesting that this cellular response may have a role in monogenic forms of autism characterized by misfolding mutations. ..
- Zelano J, Wallquist W, Hailer N, Cullheim S. Down-regulation of mRNAs for synaptic adhesion molecules neuroligin-2 and -3 and synCAM1 in spinal motoneurons after axotomy. J Comp Neurol. 2007;503:308-18 pubmed..This indicates that down-regulation of synaptic adhesion molecules plays a role in postinjury synapse elimination. ..
- Chih B, Afridi S, Clark L, Scheiffele P. Disorder-associated mutations lead to functional inactivation of neuroligins. Hum Mol Genet. 2004;13:1471-7 pubmed
- Jamain S, Quach H, Betancur C, Rastam M, Colineaux C, Gillberg I, et al. Mutations of the X-linked genes encoding neuroligins NLGN3 and NLGN4 are associated with autism. Nat Genet. 2003;34:27-9 pubmed..Here we report mutations in two X-linked genes encoding neuroligins NLGN3 and NLGN4 in siblings with autism-spectrum disorders...
- Gutierrez R, Hung J, Zhang Y, Kertesz A, Espina F, Colicos M. Altered synchrony and connectivity in neuronal networks expressing an autism-related mutation of neuroligin 3. Neuroscience. 2009;162:208-21 pubmed publisher..Together, these data support the hypothesis that the autism-associated NL3 mutation affects information processing in neuronal networks by altering network architecture and synchrony. ..
- Levinson J, Li R, Kang R, Moukhles H, el Husseini A, Bamji S. Postsynaptic scaffolding molecules modulate the localization of neuroligins. Neuroscience. 2010;165:782-93 pubmed publisher..involved in the recruitment of neuroligin 1 to excitatory synapses, the localization of neuroligin 2 (NL2) and neuroligin 3 (NL3) to excitatory and inhibitory synapses is less well defined...
- Hamilton S, Green J, Veeraragavan S, Yuva L, McCoy A, Wu Y, et al. Fmr1 and Nlgn3 knockout rats: novel tools for investigating autism spectrum disorders. Behav Neurosci. 2014;128:103-9 pubmed publisher..with heritable disruptions in the genes encoding Fragile X mental retardation protein (FMRP) and Neuroligin3 (NLGN3)...
- Poulopoulos A, Soykan T, Tuffy L, Hammer M, Varoqueaux F, Brose N. Homodimerization and isoform-specific heterodimerization of neuroligins. Biochem J. 2012;446:321-30 pubmed publisher..we identified differences in the dimerization capacity of autism-associated neuroligin mutants, and found that neuroligin 3 R471C mutants can form heterodimers with neuroligin 1...
- Nguyen Q, Horn M, Nicoll R. Distinct roles for extracellular and intracellular domains in neuroligin function at inhibitory synapses. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..NLGN2 is only at inhibitory synapses while NLGN3 is at both excitatory and inhibitory synapses...
- De Jaco A, Lin M, Dubi N, Comoletti D, Miller M, Camp S, et al. Neuroligin trafficking deficiencies arising from mutations in the alpha/beta-hydrolase fold protein family. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:28674-82 pubmed publisher..with autism and the thyroglobulin G2320R (G221R in NLGN) mutation responsible for congenital hypothyroidism into NLGN3, we show that mutations in the alpha/beta-hydrolase fold domain influence folding and biosynthetic processing of ..
- Gilbert M, Smith J, Roskams A, Auld V. Neuroligin 3 is a vertebrate gliotactin expressed in the olfactory ensheathing glia, a growth-promoting class of macroglia. Glia. 2001;34:151-64 pubmed..we have isolated a potential vertebrate gliotactin homologue from mice and rat and found that it corresponds to neuroligin 3. Using a combination of RT-PCR and immunohistochemistry, we have found that neuroligin 3 is expressed during ..
- Suckow A, Zhang C, Egodage S, Comoletti D, Taylor P, Miller M, et al. Transcellular neuroligin-2 interactions enhance insulin secretion and are integral to pancreatic ? cell function. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:19816-26 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate a significant role for transcellular neuroligin-2 interactions in the establishment of ? cell function. ..
- Shipman S, Schnell E, Hirai T, Chen B, Roche K, Nicoll R. Functional dependence of neuroligin on a new non-PDZ intracellular domain. Nat Neurosci. 2011;14:718-26 pubmed publisher..Mutation of a single critical residue in this region inhibited neuroligin-mediated excitatory synaptic potentiation. Finally, we found a functional distinction between neuroligins 1 and 3. ..
- Etherton M, Tabuchi K, Sharma M, Ko J, Sudhof T. An autism-associated point mutation in the neuroligin cytoplasmic tail selectively impairs AMPA receptor-mediated synaptic transmission in hippocampus. EMBO J. 2011;30:2908-19 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the cytoplasmic tail of neuroligin-3 has a central role in synaptic transmission by modulating the recruitment of AMPA receptors to postsynaptic sites at excitatory synapses. ..