Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Nlgn2
Description: neuroligin 2
- Kohl C, Riccio O, Grosse J, Zanoletti O, Fournier C, Schmidt M, et al. Hippocampal neuroligin-2 overexpression leads to reduced aggression and inhibited novelty reactivity in rats. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56871 pubmed publisher..Neuroligin2 (nlgn2) is a postsynaptic cell adhesion molecule, which is predominantly expressed at inhibitory synapses and required ..
- Futai K, Doty C, Baek B, Ryu J, Sheng M. Specific trans-synaptic interaction with inhibitory interneuronal neurexin underlies differential ability of neuroligins to induce functional inhibitory synapses. J Neurosci. 2013;33:3612-23 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that trans-synaptic interaction with differentially expressed presynaptic Nrxns underlies the distinct functions of NL1 and NL2, and is sufficient to induce functional inhibitory synapse formation. ..
- Gauthier J, Siddiqui T, Huashan P, Yokomaku D, Hamdan F, Champagne N, et al. Truncating mutations in NRXN2 and NRXN1 in autism spectrum disorders and schizophrenia. Hum Genet. 2011;130:563-73 pubmed publisher..in neuron coculture and fail to bind either of the established postsynaptic binding partners LRRTM2 or NLGN2 in cell binding assays...
- Koehnke J, Jin X, Budreck E, Posy S, Scheiffele P, Honig B, et al. Crystal structure of the extracellular cholinesterase-like domain from neuroligin-2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:1873-8 pubmed publisher..Overall, the NL2 structure promises to provide a valuable model for dissecting NL isoform- and synapse-specific functions. ..
- Graf E, Zhang X, Jin S, Linhoff M, Craig A. Neurexins induce differentiation of GABA and glutamate postsynaptic specializations via neuroligins. Cell. 2004;119:1013-26 pubmed
- Nguyen Q, Horn M, Nicoll R. Distinct roles for extracellular and intracellular domains in neuroligin function at inhibitory synapses. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..b>NLGN2 is only at inhibitory synapses while NLGN3 is at both excitatory and inhibitory synapses...
- Tzanoulinou S, GarcÃa MompÃ³ C, Riccio O, Grosse J, Zanoletti O, Dedousis P, et al. Neuroligin-2 Expression in the Prefrontal Cortex is Involved in Attention Deficits Induced by Peripubertal Stress. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2016;41:751-61 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, NLGN-2 is underscored as a promising target to treat stress-induced cognitive alterations, and in particular attentional deficits as manifested by augmented omissions in a continuous performance task. ..
- Fekete C, Chiou T, Miralles C, Harris R, Fiondella C, LoTurco J, et al. In vivo clonal overexpression of neuroligin 3 and neuroligin 2 in neurons of the rat cerebral cortex: Differential effects on GABAergic synapses and neuronal migration. J Comp Neurol. 2015;523:1359-78 pubmed publisherWe studied the effect of clonal overexpression of neuroligin 3 (NL3) or neuroligin 2 (NL2) in the adult rat cerebral cortex following in utero electroporation (IUEP) at embryonic stage E14...
- Lui L, Levinson J, Noel G, Handrigan G, Richman J, El Husseini A, et al. Synaptic localization of neuroligin 2 in the rodent retina: comparative study with the dystroglycan-containing complex. J Neurosci Res. 2010;88:837-49 pubmed publisherSeveral recent studies have shown that neuroligin 2 (NL2), a component of the cell adhesion neurexins-neuroligins complex, is localized postsynaptically at hippocampal and other inhibitory synapses throughout the brain...
- Levinson J, Li R, Kang R, Moukhles H, el Husseini A, Bamji S. Postsynaptic scaffolding molecules modulate the localization of neuroligins. Neuroscience. 2010;165:782-93 pubmed publisher..has been shown to be involved in the recruitment of neuroligin 1 to excitatory synapses, the localization of neuroligin 2 (NL2) and neuroligin 3 (NL3) to excitatory and inhibitory synapses is less well defined...
- van der Kooij M, Fantin M, Kraev I, Korshunova I, Grosse J, Zanoletti O, et al. Impaired hippocampal neuroligin-2 function by chronic stress or synthetic peptide treatment is linked to social deficits and increased aggression. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2014;39:1148-58 pubmed publisher..These results highlight hippocampal NLGN-2 as a key molecular substrate regulating social behaviors and underscore NLGNs as promising targets for the development of novel drugs for the treatment of dysfunctional social behaviors. ..
- Zelano J, Wallquist W, Hailer N, Cullheim S. Down-regulation of mRNAs for synaptic adhesion molecules neuroligin-2 and -3 and synCAM1 in spinal motoneurons after axotomy. J Comp Neurol. 2007;503:308-18 pubmed..This indicates that down-regulation of synaptic adhesion molecules plays a role in postinjury synapse elimination. ..
- Chubykin A, Liu X, Comoletti D, Tsigelny I, Taylor P, Sudhof T. Dissection of synapse induction by neuroligins: effect of a neuroligin mutation associated with autism. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:22365-74 pubmed
- Kang H, Lee C, Kim J, Yu S, Kang S, Moon D, et al. Gene expression analysis of the pro-oestrous-stage rat uterus reveals neuroligin 2 as a novel steroid-regulated gene. Reprod Fertil Dev. 2004;16:763-72 pubmed..Twenty of these genes were upregulated in the OVX + P(4) animals. The genes for nuclear factor I-XI, afadin, neuroligin 2, semaphorin Z, calpain 4, cyclase-associated protein homologue, thymosin beta-4X and p8 were significantly ..
- Shipman S, Schnell E, Hirai T, Chen B, Roche K, Nicoll R. Functional dependence of neuroligin on a new non-PDZ intracellular domain. Nat Neurosci. 2011;14:718-26 pubmed publisher..Mutation of a single critical residue in this region inhibited neuroligin-mediated excitatory synaptic potentiation. Finally, we found a functional distinction between neuroligins 1 and 3. ..
- Suckow A, Zhang C, Egodage S, Comoletti D, Taylor P, Miller M, et al. Transcellular neuroligin-2 interactions enhance insulin secretion and are integral to pancreatic ? cell function. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:19816-26 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate a significant role for transcellular neuroligin-2 interactions in the establishment of ? cell function. ..
- Gilbert M, Smith J, Roskams A, Auld V. Neuroligin 3 is a vertebrate gliotactin expressed in the olfactory ensheathing glia, a growth-promoting class of macroglia. Glia. 2001;34:151-64 pubmed
- Yeo H, Kim H, Mo J, Lee D, Han S, Hong S, et al. Developmental expression and subcellular distribution of synaptotagmin 11 in rat hippocampus. Neuroscience. 2012;225:35-43 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Syt11 may contribute to the regulation of neurotransmitter release in the excitatory and inhibitory presynapses, and postsynapse-targeted membrane trafficking in dendrites. ..
- Linhoff M, Lauren J, Cassidy R, Dobie F, Takahashi H, Nygaard H, et al. An unbiased expression screen for synaptogenic proteins identifies the LRRTM protein family as synaptic organizers. Neuron. 2009;61:734-49 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a prevalence of LRR domain proteins in trans-synaptic signaling and provide a cellular basis for the reported linkage of LRRTM1 to handedness and schizophrenia. ..
- Dong N, Qi J, Chen G. Molecular reconstitution of functional GABAergic synapses with expression of neuroligin-2 and GABAA receptors. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2007;35:14-23 pubmed..These results suggest that NL-2 may potentially serve as a central organizer for GABAergic synapse assembly by interacting with both presynaptic neurexins and postsynaptic GABA(A) receptors. ..
- Clarris H, McKeown S, Key B. Expression of neurexin ligands, the neuroligins and the neurexophilins, in the developing and adult rodent olfactory bulb. Int J Dev Biol. 2002;46:649-52 pubmed..These results suggest that neurexin-ligand interactions may be important for development and/or maturation of synaptic connections in the primary olfactory pathway. ..