Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Nkx6 1
Description: NK6 homeobox 1
Alias: Nkx6.1, Nkx61, Nkx6a, homeobox protein Nkx-6.1, NK homeobox, family 6, A, NK6 transcription factor homolog A, NK6 transcription factor related, locus 1, homeobox protein NK-6 homolog A
Products: Nkx6 1
- Ma Z, Portwood N, Brodin D, Grill V, Bjorklund A. Effects of diazoxide on gene expression in rat pancreatic islets are largely linked to elevated glucose and potentially serve to enhance beta-cell sensitivity. Diabetes. 2007;56:1095-106 pubmed..Effects of diazoxide on gene expression could serve to enhance beta-cell functionality during continuous hyperglycemia. ..
- Oster A, Jensen J, Serup P, Galante P, Madsen O, Larsson L. Rat endocrine pancreatic development in relation to two homeobox gene products (Pdx-1 and Nkx 6.1). J Histochem Cytochem. 1998;46:707-15 pubmed..Such cells displayed strongly Pdx-1- and Nkx 6.1-positive nuclei. Therefore, Nkx 6.1, like Pdx-1, may be an important factor in pancreatic development and in mature insulin cell function. ..
- Chin Chance C, Newman M, Aronovitz A, Blomeier H, Kruger J, Lee E, et al. Role of the mitogen-activated protein kinases in cytokine-mediated inhibition of insulin gene expression. J Investig Med. 2006;54:132-42 pubmed publisher..This effect appears to be mediated, in part, via altered expression of transcription factors important for insulin gene expression. ..
- Schisler J, Fueger P, Babu D, Hohmeier H, Tessem J, Lu D, et al. Stimulation of human and rat islet beta-cell proliferation with retention of function by the homeodomain transcription factor Nkx6.1. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:3465-76 pubmed publisher..1 is among the very rare factors capable of stimulating beta-cell replication with retention or enhancement of function, properties that may be exploitable for expansion of beta-cell mass in treatment of both major forms of diabetes...
- Wilson M, Yang K, Kalousova A, Lau J, Kosaka Y, Lynn F, et al. The HMG box transcription factor Sox4 contributes to the development of the endocrine pancreas. Diabetes. 2005;54:3402-9 pubmed..We show here that several Sox transcription factors are expressed in the developing pancreas and in the islet, and that one of these factors, Sox4, is required for the normal development of pancreatic islets. ..
- Vallstedt A, Klos J, Ericson J. Multiple dorsoventral origins of oligodendrocyte generation in the spinal cord and hindbrain. Neuron. 2005;45:55-67 pubmed..Based on these findings, we propose that oligodendrocytes derive from several distinct positional origins and that the activation of Olig1/2 at different positions is controlled by distinct genetic programs. ..
- Nielsen K, Kruhøffer M, Orntoft T, Sparre T, Wang H, Wollheim C, et al. Gene expression profiles during beta cell maturation and after IL-1beta exposure reveal important roles of Pdx-1 and Nkx6.1 for IL-1beta sensitivity. Diabetologia. 2004;47:2185-99 pubmed
- Briscoe J, Pierani A, Jessell T, Ericson J. A homeodomain protein code specifies progenitor cell identity and neuronal fate in the ventral neural tube. Cell. 2000;101:435-45 pubmed..The combinatorial expression of three of these proteins--Nkx6.1, Nkx2.2, and Irx3--specifies the identity of three classes of neurons generated in the ventral third of the neural tube. ..
- Henseleit K, Nelson S, Kuhlbrodt K, Hennings J, Ericson J, Sander M. NKX6 transcription factor activity is required for alpha- and beta-cell development in the pancreas. Development. 2005;132:3139-49 pubmed..We demonstrate that expression of Myt1 depends on overall Nkx6 gene dose, and therefore identify Myt1 as a possible downstream target of Nkx6 genes in the endocrine differentiation pathway. ..
- Somm E, Schwitzgebel V, Vauthay D, Camm E, Chen C, Giacobino J, et al. Prenatal nicotine exposure alters early pancreatic islet and adipose tissue development with consequences on the control of body weight and glucose metabolism later in life. Endocrinology. 2008;149:6289-99 pubmed publisher..These results prove a direct association between fetal nicotine exposure and offspring metabolic syndrome with early signs of dysregulations of adipose tissue and pancreatic development. ..
- Schisler J, Jensen P, Taylor D, Becker T, Knop F, Takekawa S, et al. The Nkx6.1 homeodomain transcription factor suppresses glucagon expression and regulates glucose-stimulated insulin secretion in islet beta cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:7297-302 pubmed..1 mRNA in primary rat islets was accompanied by a significant decrease in GSIS relative to control cells. In sum, our studies have revealed roles for Nkx6.1 in suppression of glucagon expression and control of GSIS in islet beta cells. ..
- Sun T, Dong H, Wu L, Kane M, Rowitch D, Stiles C. Cross-repressive interaction of the Olig2 and Nkx2.2 transcription factors in developing neural tube associated with formation of a specific physical complex. J Neurosci. 2003;23:9547-56 pubmed..2 that helps to establish the pMN-p3 boundary in the developing spinal cord. ..
- Jørgensen M, Vestergård Petersen H, Ericson J, Madsen O, Serup P. Cloning and DNA-binding properties of the rat pancreatic beta-cell-specific factor Nkx6.1. FEBS Lett. 1999;461:287-94 pubmed..The expression of other known beta-cell-specific factors such as Pax4, Pax6, Pdx1, GLUT2 and GLP1-R is unchanged by the introduction of Nkx6.1. ..