Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Nfasc
- Charles P, Tait S, Faivre Sarrailh C, Barbin G, Gunn Moore F, Denisenko Nehrbass N, et al. Neurofascin is a glial receptor for the paranodin/Caspr-contactin axonal complex at the axoglial junction. Curr Biol. 2002;12:217-20 pubmed..There has been intense speculation that an oligodendroglial isoform of the cell adhesion molecule neurofascin, NF155, expressed at the paranodal loop might be the glial receptor for the paranodin/Caspr-contactin complex, ..
- Ratcliffe C, Westenbroek R, Curtis R, Catterall W. Sodium channel beta1 and beta3 subunits associate with neurofascin through their extracellular immunoglobulin-like domain. J Cell Biol. 2001;154:427-34 pubmed..We show here that beta1 subunits associate with neurofascin, a neuronal cell adhesion molecule that plays a key role in the assembly of nodes of Ranvier...
- Davis J, Lambert S, Bennett V. Molecular composition of the node of Ranvier: identification of ankyrin-binding cell adhesion molecules neurofascin (mucin+/third FNIII domain-) and NrCAM at nodal axon segments. J Cell Biol. 1996;135:1355-67 pubmedb>Neurofascin, NrCAM, L1, and NgCAM are a family of Ig/FNIII cell adhesion molecules that share ankyrin-binding activity in their cytoplasmic domains, and are candidates to form membrane-spanning complexes with members of the ankyrin ..
- Tait S, Gunn Moore F, Collinson J, Huang J, Lubetzki C, Pedraza L, et al. An oligodendrocyte cell adhesion molecule at the site of assembly of the paranodal axo-glial junction. J Cell Biol. 2000;150:657-66 pubmedTwo major isoforms of the cell adhesion molecule neurofascin NF186 and NF155 are expressed in the central nervous system (CNS)...
- Davis J, McLaughlin T, Bennett V. Ankyrin-binding proteins related to nervous system cell adhesion molecules: candidates to provide transmembrane and intercellular connections in adult brain. J Cell Biol. 1993;121:121-33 pubmed..demonstrated that ankyrin-binding glycoproteins (ABGPs) share 72% amino acid sequence identity with chicken neurofascin, a membrane-spanning neural cell adhesion molecule in the Ig super-family expressed in embryonic brain...
- Zitman F, Lucas M, Trinks S, Grosse Ophoff L, Kriebel M, Volkmer H, et al. Dentate Gyrus Local Circuit is Implicated in Learning Under Stress--a Role for Neurofascin. Mol Neurobiol. 2016;53:842-50 pubmed publisher..The cell adhesion molecule neurofascin is specifically expressed at the AIS. It is crucially required for the stabilization of axo-axonic synapses...
- Thaxton C, Pillai A, Pribisko A, Labasque M, Dupree J, Faivre Sarrailh C, et al. In vivo deletion of immunoglobulin domains 5 and 6 in neurofascin (Nfasc) reveals domain-specific requirements in myelinated axons. J Neurosci. 2010;30:4868-76 pubmed publisher..encoding the critical paranodal proteins Caspr, contactin (Cont), and the myelinating glia-specific isoform of Neurofascin (Nfasc(NF155)) results in the disruption of the paranodal axo-glial junctions, loss of ion channel segregation, ..
- Sohn P, Tracy T, Son H, Zhou Y, Leite R, Miller B, et al. Acetylated tau destabilizes the cytoskeleton in the axon initial segment and is mislocalized to the somatodendritic compartment. Mol Neurodegener. 2016;11:47 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings demonstrate that tau acetylation contributes to the pathogenesis of neurodegenerative disease by compromising the cytoskeletal sorting machinery in the AIS. ..
- Traka M, Goutebroze L, Denisenko N, Bessa M, Nifli A, Havaki S, et al. Association of TAG-1 with Caspr2 is essential for the molecular organization of juxtaparanodal regions of myelinated fibers. J Cell Biol. 2003;162:1161-72 pubmed..This complex is analogous to that described previously at paranodes, suggesting that similar molecules are crucial for different types of axo-glial interactions. ..
- Kirschbaum K, Kriebel M, Kranz E, Pötz O, Volkmer H. Analysis of non-canonical fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 (FGFR1) interaction reveals regulatory and activating domains of neurofascin. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:28533-42 pubmed publisher..Here, we show a new link between FGFR1 and the cell adhesion molecule neurofascin, which is important for neurite outgrowth...
- Flytzani S, Guerreiro Cacais A, N diaye M, Lindner M, Linington C, Meinl E, et al. MOG-induced experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in the rat species triggers anti-neurofascin antibody response that is genetically regulated. J Neuroinflammation. 2015;12:194 pubmed publisher..Using different EAE models, we investigated the pathophysiological basis of epitope spreading to neurofascin, a protein localized at the node of Ranvier and its regulation by non-MHC genes...
- Feinberg K, Eshed Eisenbach Y, Frechter S, Amor V, Salomon D, Sabanay H, et al. A glial signal consisting of gliomedin and NrCAM clusters axonal Na+ channels during the formation of nodes of Ranvier. Neuron. 2010;65:490-502 pubmed publisher..clustering of Na(+) channels at heminodes requires glial NrCAM and gliomedin, as well as their axonal receptor neurofascin 186 (NF186)...
- Scheiermann C, Meda P, Aurrand Lions M, Madani R, Yiangou Y, Coffey P, et al. Expression and function of junctional adhesion molecule-C in myelinated peripheral nerves. Science. 2007;318:1472-5 pubmed..These results demonstrate that JAM-C is a component of the autotypic junctional attachments of Schwann cells and plays an important role in maintaining the integrity and function of myelinated peripheral nerves. ..
- Hedstrom K, Xu X, Ogawa Y, Frischknecht R, Seidenbecher C, Shrager P, et al. Neurofascin assembles a specialized extracellular matrix at the axon initial segment. J Cell Biol. 2007;178:875-86 pubmed..In addition to ion channels, these domains are characterized by cell adhesion molecules (CAMs; neurofascin-186 [NF-186] and neuron glia-related CAM [NrCAM]), cytoskeletal proteins (ankyrinG and betaIV spectrin), and ..
- Schafer D, Custer A, Shrager P, Rasband M. Early events in node of Ranvier formation during myelination and remyelination in the PNS. Neuron Glia Biol. 2006;2:69-79 pubmed..6 is detected at new nodes. Finally, we show that accumulation of the cell adhesion molecule neurofascin always precedes Nav channel clustering in the PNS...
- Williams S, Grumet M, Colman D, Henkemeyer M, Mason C, Sakurai T. A role for Nr-CAM in the patterning of binocular visual pathways. Neuron. 2006;50:535-47 pubmed..Finally, we demonstrate that EphB1/ephrin-B2-mediated repulsion and Nr-CAM-mediated attraction comprise distinct molecular programs that each contributes to the proper formation of binocular visual pathways. ..
- Kizhatil K, Wu Y, Sen A, Bennett V. A new activity of doublecortin in recognition of the phospho-FIGQY tyrosine in the cytoplasmic domain of neurofascin. J Neurosci. 2002;22:7948-58 pubmed..of the FIGQY-phosphotyrosine motif present in the cytoplasmic domain of the L1 cell adhesion molecule neurofascin. Phospho-FIGQY-neurofascin (186 kDa) coimmunoprecipitated with doublecortin from detergent extracts of ..
- Van Wart A, Boiko T, Trimmer J, Matthews G. Novel clustering of sodium channel Na(v)1.1 with ankyrin-G and neurofascin at discrete sites in the inner plexiform layer of the retina. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2005;28:661-73 pubmed..cluster at sites of action potential generation and propagation by interacting with partner proteins such as neurofascin, an adhesion molecule in the L1 family, and ankyrin-G, a spectrin-binding protein required for sodium channel ..
- Kriebel M, Metzger J, Trinks S, Chugh D, Harvey R, Harvey K, et al. The cell adhesion molecule neurofascin stabilizes axo-axonic GABAergic terminals at the axon initial segment. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:24385-93 pubmed publisher..The cell adhesion molecule neurofascin is localized at the axon initial segment of granular cells in rat dentate gyrus, which is mainly targeted by ..
- Zhang J, Zhou Y, Wu Y, Ma L, Wang R, Huang S, et al. Novel cerebellum-enriched miR-592 may play a role in neural progenitor cell differentiation and neuronal maturation through regulating Lrrc4c and Nfasc in rat. Curr Mol Med. 2013;13:1432-45 pubmed..Meanwhile, silencing of miR-592 was not beneficial for neuronal maturation. We also identified Lrrc4c and Nfasc as miR-592 target genes, and miR-592 could affect the changes of Lrrc4c and Nfasc expression levels, suggesting ..
- van Beuningen S, Will L, Harterink M, Chazeau A, van Battum E, Frias C, et al. TRIM46 Controls Neuronal Polarity and Axon Specification by Driving the Formation of Parallel Microtubule Arrays. Neuron. 2015;88:1208-1226 pubmed publisher..Thus, TRIM46 defines a unique axonal cytoskeletal compartment for regulating microtubule organization during neuronal development. ..
- Mathey E, Derfuss T, Storch M, Williams K, Hales K, Woolley D, et al. Neurofascin as a novel target for autoantibody-mediated axonal injury. J Exp Med. 2007;204:2363-72 pubmed..Starting with a proteomics-based approach, we identified neurofascin-specific autoantibodies in patients with MS...
- Basak S, Raju K, Babiarz J, Kane Goldsmith N, Koticha D, Grumet M. Differential expression and functions of neuronal and glial neurofascin isoforms and splice variants during PNS development. Dev Biol. 2007;311:408-22 pubmedThe cell adhesion molecule neurofascin (NF) has a major neuronal isoform (NF186) containing a mucin-like domain followed by a fifth fibronectin type III repeat while these domains are absent from glial NF155...
- Kim H, DiBernardo A, Sloane J, Rasband M, Solomon D, Kosaras B, et al. WAVE1 is required for oligodendrocyte morphogenesis and normal CNS myelination. J Neurosci. 2006;26:5849-59 pubmed..Together, these data demonstrate a role for WAVE1 in oligodendrocyte morphogenesis and myelination. ..
- Koroll M, Rathjen F, Volkmer H. The neural cell recognition molecule neurofascin interacts with syntenin-1 but not with syntenin-2, both of which reveal self-associating activity. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:10646-54 pubmedb>Neurofascin belongs to the L1 subgroup of the immunoglobulin superfamily of cell adhesion molecules and is implicated in axonal growth and fasciculation...
- Gumy L, Katrukha E, Grigoriev I, Jaarsma D, Kapitein L, Akhmanova A, et al. MAP2 Defines a Pre-axonal Filtering Zone to Regulate KIF1- versus KIF5-Dependent Cargo Transport in Sensory Neurons. Neuron. 2017;94:347-362.e7 pubmed publisher..We propose that selective axonal cargo trafficking requires the MAP2-defined pre-axonal filtering zone and the ability of cargos to switch between distinct kinesin motor activities. ..
- Gunn Moore F, Hill M, Davey F, Herron L, Tait S, Sherman D, et al. A functional FERM domain binding motif in neurofascin. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2006;33:441-6 pubmed..in the development of the nervous system and consist of L1, neuron-glial-related cell adhesion molecule and neurofascin. All three receptors have a short cytoplasmic tail which is known to bind to the cytoskeletal associated ..
- Koticha D, Maurel P, Zanazzi G, Kane Goldsmith N, Basak S, Babiarz J, et al. Neurofascin interactions play a critical role in clustering sodium channels, ankyrin G and beta IV spectrin at peripheral nodes of Ranvier. Dev Biol. 2006;293:1-12 pubmedThe Ig cell adhesion molecules (CAM) neurofascin (NF) and Nr-CAM are localized at developing nodes of Ranvier in peripheral myelinated axons prior to clustering of Na+ channels...
- Yap C, Vakulenko M, Kruczek K, Motamedi B, Digilio L, Liu J, et al. Doublecortin (DCX) mediates endocytosis of neurofascin independently of microtubule binding. J Neurosci. 2012;32:7439-53 pubmed publisher..DCX has other reported binding partners, including the cell adhesion molecule neurofascin, but the functional significance of the DCX-neurofascin interaction is not understood...
- Maier O, van der Heide T, van Dam A, Baron W, de Vries H, Hoekstra D. Alteration of the extracellular matrix interferes with raft association of neurofascin in oligodendrocytes. Potential significance for multiple sclerosis?. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2005;28:390-401 pubmed..Since the oligodendrocyte-specific isoform of neurofascin, NF155 (neurofascin isoform of 155 kDa), may be important for establishing axoglial interactions, we analyzed ..